Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Apparently it's not unusual for Rex rads to crack a little and weep (hell, same), and when it happened to me I smelled antifreeze strongly at the light, and I could still catch whiffs of it at speed, but it wasn't until I smelled it again at a different light that I started to put two and two together. Like, it was unlikely that I'd be right behind two different stinky cars. And then I saw the little chalky streaks from the dried-up coolant.

Being a few hundred meters back of a roofing tar truck was an entirely different experience, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The rex not having a temp gauge is possibly the only flaw it has.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Coydog posted:

THAT is hilarious.

Seconding that this happens to me all the time. Remember the mantra "smells come from ahead of the bike".

Until you come to a stop and are overtaken by your own exhaust fumes lol. Bikes without a catalytic smell quite a bit. For a while i thought mine was running way too rich but the heavy smell is just normal, i guess :)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, that happens to me too. You're just so much more connected to the smells of the world that a minivan with cooked brakes might be half a mile ahead but it smells like it's all around you. I get at least a little worried every time I smell hot brakes/clutch or a truck burning oil or a plastic bag stuck on someone's muffler or anything like that.

Also I've told the story before but one time I was just riding along when suddenly I heard the most horrible rat-at-tat banging and metallic jangling sound. I immediately cut the throttle and started to pull over because I figured my entire valvetrain had just exploded or the chain had flung off and gotten wrapped around the wheel or something. Then I came past the edge of the high school I was passing and saw the marching band practicing in the parking lot with drums and xylophones

The idle speed of an RSV Mille and the idle speed of a London Taxi are in some sort of harmonic relationship so every time one of those rattly diesel bastards was next to me at the lights I was convinced my top end was about to explode.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
One time riding along the highway it started smelling like burning and I thought it was my bike, once I had looped down under the overpass I was crossing before there was a car on fire there.

Another time I was riding along and heard a 'spoing' sound like I had just ridden over a huge stone, odd but didn't think that much of it. Stopped a while later at an intersection and heard a huge racket like my chain had fallen off the front sprocket. Immediately got off - bike was fine but there was a center punch lying on the road. Apparently the noise before was me riding over it, at which it nestled itself between my headers; stopping made it fall out.

Also, how noisy your chain sounds if you're riding past a concrete barrier.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

High Protein posted:

Also, how noisy your chain sounds if you're riding past a concrete barrier.

Oof, yeah. A week or two after I got my bike I installed some axle sliders and adjusted the chain tension. Went for a test ride around my apartment complex and I was quite alarmed at how noisy the chain was sounding all of a sudden.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Scanning for tyres and noticed Michelin's new road classic model proudly advertising "50% more grip than the previous model!"

Am I losing it or is this basically an admission that the pilot activ was a dogshit tyre, that there was this much room for improvement?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The pilot activ IS a dog poo poo tyre, but there's also probably some kind of statistics/measurement shenanigans going on to arrive at such a bold and easy to digest figure.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Dog shittier than Continental Go!s?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I actually had ContiGo!s on my CBF125 lol. They were definitely at least as poo poo as Activs, especially in the wet

Why do I have such a knack for picking awful tyres :negative:

e/ I'm trying to find something better but there seems to be a supply issue with classic size tyres at the minute, literally all that's in stock anywhere in my size is the TT100s the bike came with, which are decent but also are £280 a pair. Probably just have to eat it, with how worn my current rubber is getting.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 29, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

Dog shittier than Continental Go!s?

This is the kind of benchmarking we need.

What's the worst tyre?

What's the slowest 250?

What cruiser has the worst P:W ratio?

All questions begging for answers

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

This is the kind of benchmarking we need.

What's the worst tyre?

What's the slowest 250?

What cruiser has the worst P:W ratio?

All questions begging for answers

Slowest 250? Suzuki TU250X unless you are allowed to go vintage would be my guess.

Worst cruiser P:W would probably one of the Japanese 250cc metric cruisers.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

my mom had a rebel 250 lol it was hilarious

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Carth Dookie posted:

Slowest 250? Suzuki TU250X unless you are allowed to go vintage would be my guess.

https://thecustommotorcycle.co.uk/ad/1988-honda-jazz-chopper-cruiser-50cc-supersport-in-black-rare-model/

Although this particular one has got a 70cc big bore kit on it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

Tu250 doesn't get even close to the slowest you sweet summer child you. Chinese bikes exist!

Worst P:W cruiser I can think of is the shadow 400, it is a shadow 750 with a missing 350.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Tu250 doesn't get even close to the slowest you sweet summer child you. Chinese bikes exist!

The slowest bike that's still worthy of being called a bike, then

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

I actually had ContiGo!s on my CBF125 lol.

Aye. Can't believe those shitters are what Honda put on at the factory!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nothing to see here

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
tupolev tu-250 blunder

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Greg12 posted:

tupolev tu-250 blunder

It's not fast but the endurance and loiter time are amazing!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Sincerely gently caress the companies who print wiring diagrams in black and white.

Double gently caress the ones who label everything with random numbers, requiring you to continually check a reference sheet to be sure of what anything on the diagram actually is.

The object of my rage today is Yamaha, who had a full colour diagram for the bike in question up until 2008, and thereafter went monochrome. Why :bang:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
F

Good: I found someone else online having exactly the same problem as me

Bad: this is the stupidest loving problem ever

quote:

Final report .....

The fuse was blowing because the ignition switch was the wrong one!!

It looked at first sight to be the same but it was wired internally differently. There is no way it could ever work although it fitted perfectly.

Andy's Motorcycles ad was rather misleading in that it implied (as do many of them) that the switch would suit all YBR125's with a four wire ignition switch, three wires in a block and one loose "bullet type" connector.

This is not true.

My bike is a 2008 YBR125 Custom

Looking at the wiring diagram it clearly shows that there are four connections inside the switch and in the "off" position NONE of the wires make contact, they are all isolated.

In the "on" position each of two pairs make contact.

For example:

"Off" position - no wires make contact - all open circuit.

Red (loose wire, bullet connector) main 12v feed from battery.

Brown (block connector)

Black (block connector)

Black/white (block connector)

"On" position

Red wire connected to Brown wire

Black wire connected to Black/white wire

The switch that was supplied made one pair contact in the "on" position while the other pair was open circuit, and in the "off" position the roles were reversed. It could never be wired to suit my bike.

Physically the switches looked the same (apart from wire colour) and you need a meter to test exactly which wires are switched in which position.

It is not easy to source the proper switch, even main Yamaha dealers are confused.

Looks like PO fixed the problem by just permanently joining the safety cutout wire from the ECU into the wire that goes to the neutral/clutch/sidestand switches, and that solution doesn't seem to have done any harm, so I can fix this straight away instead of having to order more parts, but still...

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
On the bright side I didn't need to remove the top of the triple clamp to get the barrel out like I thought I was going to have to, so that's nice.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

Sincerely gently caress the companies who print wiring diagrams in black and white.

Double gently caress the ones who label everything with random numbers, requiring you to continually check a reference sheet to be sure of what anything on the diagram actually is.

The object of my rage today is Yamaha, who had a full colour diagram for the bike in question up until 2008, and thereafter went monochrome. Why :bang:

If you’ve got a semi decent digital copy, you can spend a few hours in Inkscape/Illustrator and trace over the diagram pretty easily.

It wouldn’t surprise me if someone on fiverr would do it for next to nothing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It’s 2021, why can’t I drop a GPX file into Waze, Google Maps, or Apple Maps and get them to turn-by-turn me to each waypoint :argh:

I have a 260km round trip that I want to do but it’s pretty littered with farm country roads so I definitely appreciate the “in 1km make a right” guidance. The last time I did this ride I used some janky GPX route app that crashed on me twice and was consistently horrible handling GPS causing me to have to backtrack a few times.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I took my Jeep to dinner with some friends tonight and on the way there was this bumpy/hilly/curvy road that goes over some train tracks. Coming from the opposite side there was a girl in no gear riding a CBR about two feet over the yellow line in my lane, coming at me. I honked, because I wanted her to not die, and she gave me the finger after getting back behind the vehicle in front of her. After I passed her she went back to riding on the wrong side of the road.

Stay in your loving lane you squid idiot.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I had two ridiculous squid experiences today too and I would say they're all coming out for summer but this is LA so it was nice weather months ago and today was actually a little too hot. Guy on a sport bike apparently felt his manhood was insulted when I passed him on the freeway in my soccer mom SUV that does 0 to 60 in 8 seconds and changed multiple lanes so he could go full throttle next to me for a few seconds, then slow down again. I will be spending the next year adding turbos to my truck so this never happens again. Then I witnessed a Harley with a very bright front headlight make a left turn RIGHT in front of two oncoming cars who had no one behind them. It was close enough they had to brake, I was pretty sure I was about to see someone get pretty messed up. I figure he had to be on something but that's hard to square with the boomer adventure bike headlight.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

It’s 2021, why can’t I drop a GPX file into Waze, Google Maps, or Apple Maps and get them to turn-by-turn me to each waypoint :argh:

I have a 260km round trip that I want to do but it’s pretty littered with farm country roads so I definitely appreciate the “in 1km make a right” guidance. The last time I did this ride I used some janky GPX route app that crashed on me twice and was consistently horrible handling GPS causing me to have to backtrack a few times.

More importantly why can't we do that in 2021 when we *could* do it in 2012 with both Google Maps and Nokia Maps?

Osmand lets you do that but is extremely open-source (might even be the janky app you're complaining about).

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Martytoof posted:

This, plus other issues with mounting a phone, is why I recently upgraded from my ancient Garmin GPS to their latest model. It's still overpriced, but not as egregious as the older models. Dragging around the map still feels slower than my $200 phone from 3 years ago but it's a huge improvement over their older units.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

When we were out riding on Sunday my Z400 buddy was trying to find the same thing lol.

Haven't tried either yet, but Calimoto looks promising, but the route planning is all in-app. Scenic has GPX import. Wonder how much the subscription/"premium" options are lol

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

When we were out riding on Sunday my Z400 buddy was trying to find the same thing lol.

Haven't tried either yet, but Calimoto looks promising, but the route planning is all in-app. Scenic has GPX import. Wonder how much the subscription/"premium" options are lol

Yeh, I’m doing Hamilton down through no man’s land down to Erie lakeshore, over to peace bridge, then up to Niagara on the Lake. In theory I can just ride south until I hit water, then east until I hit MURICA then north until I hit wineries. Still stinks that the big three don’t let you just set waypoints for turn by turn.

It’s doubly stupid because I can import a GPX to view in Google MAps on my PC, it’s not like it’s not possible, there’s just no way to get it to route you through those waypoints :|

d u m b

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

fuckin' military convoys

breh I know you're getting paid min wage to haul MREs to some rear end-end training camp and are probably mandated to stay 10mph below the speed limit

but could you refrain from doing it in convoys thirty vehicles long

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

tokenbrownguy posted:

fuckin' military convoys

breh I know you're getting paid min wage to haul MREs to some rear end-end training camp and are probably mandated to stay 10mph below the speed limit

but could you refrain from doing it in convoys thirty vehicles long

They are probably heading to training, and if they are anything like every Joe I ever met while I was in, they have that poo poo pegged as fast as it will go for the entire convoy (when they aren't accordioning back and forth because you didn't have to have a civilian drivers license to drive a military vehicle)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Carteret posted:

They are probably heading to training, and if they are anything like every Joe I ever met while I was in, they have that poo poo pegged as fast as it will go for the entire convoy (when they aren't accordioning back and forth because you didn't have to have a civilian drivers license to drive a military vehicle)

I can't decide if this is more or less American than being able to ride a busa on a paper learner's.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

More because you can do waaaaaay more damage with a slow but insanely heavy military truck than an insanely fast but light Busa

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I can't decide if this is more or less American than being able to ride a busa on a paper learner's.

There's probably hundreds of lorry drivers in Britain who managed to get their military permits converted to civilian HGV licenses because all you needed to get the "heavy transporter" check on your permit was to drive a tank transporter a hundred yards down an autobahn that the police closed for you. The withdrawal of the British Army On The Rhine - while catastrophic for the economies of pubs and brothels from Hamburg to Cologne - will undoubtedly save lives on British roads over time.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Seriously. Sitting in "drivers training" at Fort Bragg in the early 00's with three 18 yo female soldiers from NYC who had never driven suddenly being behind the wheel of a 5 Ton MTV was harrowing.

TAX DOLLARS AT WORK

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Really emphasizes that nobody wins wars, one side just steps on fewer rakes than the other.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

I got my truck driver's license in the military here. The training was set up so that we had a civilian driving instructor teaching us the full legally mandated amount of theoretical lessons and driving lessons, ending with the same theoretical and driving exam that you would have outside of the military lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

My ct110 passed its roadworthy check today, and I was super stoked about that. But I've just been told by the roads authority that not only does it also need them to inspect it as well, but they're not currently doing inspections because covid. The roadworthy certificate is only valid for 2 weeks. Their guy can't do both. :bang:

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 16, 2021