Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

SUNKOS posted:

How is Resident Evil Village and RE7?

I'm really interested in Village because it looks fun from the video reviews I've seen and has really strong Bloodborne vibes from the aesthetic which is appealing, it seems as if someone really expanded on the Cainhurst area and made it first person.

Since there's a bundle of that with RE7 (and all the DLC) I was thinking about grabbing that but feel iffy about RE7 since I've heard so many conflicting things. On one hand unkillable enemies doesn't seem so bad since Alien Isolation owns and it seems like a more varied version of that with a True Detective S1 aesthetic? Maybe mixed with Devil's Rejects?

Also, am I right in thinking buying Village gets me the Series version as well? So whenever I can finally buy a Series X the game will update to the newest gen version?

7's on GamePass, ain't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SUNKOS posted:

I'm really interested in Village because it looks fun from the video reviews I've seen and has really strong Bloodborne vibes from the aesthetic which is appealing, it seems as if someone really expanded on the Cainhurst area and made it first person.

Since there's a bundle of that with RE7 (and all the DLC) I was thinking about grabbing that but feel iffy about RE7 since I've heard so many conflicting things. On one hand unkillable enemies doesn't seem so bad since Alien Isolation owns and it seems like a more varied version of that with a True Detective S1 aesthetic? Maybe mixed with Devil's Rejects?

Also, am I right in thinking buying Village gets me the Series version as well? So whenever I can finally buy a Series X the game will update to the newest gen version?

Theyre both great

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

SUNKOS posted:

How is ... RE7?
Great until the boat

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I just bought the RE7+8 bundle and I’ve been playing through 7 and it’s fantastic. Legit amazing atmosphere and I absolutely love it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

RCarr posted:

I just bought the RE7+8 bundle and I’ve been playing through 7 and it’s fantastic. Legit amazing atmosphere and I absolutely love it.

I played 7 on PSVR and it was terrifying, I could only get through it if I was streaming to my buddy. That said, I REbought it with the 8 bundle.

8 is loving fantastic. A great nod to 4.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Doctor Nutt posted:

This is only for compatible tvs right? I don't really know anything about Atmos vision.

You would need a Dolby Vision TV, yes.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

univbee posted:

You would need a Dolby Vision TV, yes.

Lol I just bought a new tv last year so I guess I can file away Dolby Atmos vision stuff as out of sight out of mind, though I suppose it will be interesting to see how the tech develops.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Isn't it just slightly better HDR? Aren't we well into diminishing returns with that sort of thing by now?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Akuma posted:

Isn't it just slightly better HDR? Aren't we well into diminishing returns with that sort of thing by now?

:shrug: That's why I asked. At this point I'm usually at least somewhat interested in things that can potentially make color calibration easier/more consistent.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Yeah I think Dolby Vision basically supports potentially higher brightness values and more colors than regular HDR but no TV panel supports those yet. The main advantage it has had is support for video changing the HDR range during playback instead of having just one range defined over the whole file... but again that's for video in a game you could theoretically already be changing the HDR range when you needed afaik.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HDR is widely adopted at this point so I really don’t see Dolby vision taking off.

I’m sure it’s nice but for me unless the TVs are side by side it’s really hard to notice the difference.

I do need to say though that if you play with headphones a lot the Dolby atmos for headphones is a pretty fantastic buy. I’m definitely happy with it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its neat when my tv does the little dolby logo overlay but yeah i just assumed it was branded HDR

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

univbee posted:

So it seems like the icon did eventually go away, I think it required a launch from external. But it was showing for me on Rocket League and Star Wars Squadrons, for example.

I did find an elaborate way to check, though.

If you go into a game's file info and get the mess of data, on the 4th line near the beginning it says "Gen:" and if what follows is "Durango" it's technically an XB1 game that'll run off an external even if it says X|S on the game's icon. If it says "Scarlett" then it has to be on the internal to work.

Note that there are a bunch of games that have X|S benefits but don't have the X|S logo on them, like Cyberpunk and Cyber Shadow, as well as all the framerate-boosted games. loving hell, what a confusing mess.

If it's that important to you there's a resetera thread that categorises the performance changes to every X|S upgrade.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

SUNKOS posted:

RE in first person is really not doing it for me. Add in the extremely tired “puzzles” you solve it ends up feeling like a spooky version of MYST.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I would say Resident Evil 7 felt a lot like more a classic Resident Evil game than I was expecting.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I would say Resident Evil 7 felt a lot like more a classic Resident Evil game than I was expecting.

For me it felt like a straight forward remake of Re1 with less chance of getting "lost" due to its modern fps corridor campaign structure.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Real hurthling! posted:

Theyre both great

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

bushisms.txt posted:

For me it felt like a straight forward remake of Re1 with less chance of getting "lost" due to its modern fps corridor campaign structure.
Yeah, once you get to the house foyer with the same layout as the original mansion I felt like aaahhh I see what you're doing here.

It's really great to see such long running franchises like RE and FF still killing it right now, even if they had some missteps over the past 10 years. (I liked RE6 a lot though, I'm a weirdo.)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

RE in first person is really not doing it for me. Add in the extremely tired “puzzles” you solve it ends up feeling like a spooky version of MYST.

Puzzles felt pretty much the same as the original resident evil ones did. I especially liked the birthday one.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll pick up the bundle of both and see what I've been missing out on.

The marketing campaign for Shadow Warrior 3 has been picking up and the game seems to have taken an odd turn. The new gameplay videos show off combat arenas and look fun, but it's also very different from the 17 minute gameplay video they announced the game with which also had these arenas, but they were part of the actual levels that you'd encounter as you progressed. These videos make the game look very arena-focused, but maybe it's just the angles? :shrug:

Either ways, the game does look really fun imo. They appear to have been very heavily inspired by Doom Eternal this time round:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rKvRmGRDbg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX1oG125j_s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K7_foqAZ-A

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
today i decided to buy the resident evil game. i complained about this before, but i bought it in my browser and it says i have no devices to install to, but when i look at devices it shows up there. no big deal, i went to my xbox and downloaded it. is there any reason it downloads so slow? i've tried it both over wifi and ethernet and it only downloads at ~80mbps and my connection is gigabit fiber and i regularly get 900+ down on my wired desktop and 400+ on my chromebook over wifi. i remember someone saying there was a trick to make it download faster?

when i was mucking around trying to close as much stuff as possible i found a few other things too, i am numbering them
1.) how make downloads go fast
2.) how do i tell which games i own and aren't ones that my friend downloaded on his account when he was here
3.) i have the "Keep my games and apps up to date" setting turned on but it doesn't appear to be doing this, i have six waiting, two are bloodstained and two are the master chief collection

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
finished downloading the 3 games i bought and never got around to installing, now it's doing the updates and it finally broke 100mbps

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I have a turtle beach headset but there’s some sort of connector at the end of the wire that allows it to plug into the controller and I lost it. Does anyone know what it’s called or how I can replace it?

I’ve looked online but can’t find anything.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Akuma posted:

Great until the boat

This is a different thread, we are free here from the tyranny of secret boats

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

RCarr posted:

I have a turtle beach headset but there’s some sort of connector at the end of the wire that allows it to plug into the controller and I lost it. Does anyone know what it’s called or how I can replace it?

I’ve looked online but can’t find anything.

Probably a 3.5 to 3.5 cable. They're on Amazon for cheap

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
How do sign up to be an "Xbox Insider"? Are there any other dynamic backgrounds available to us pleebs that aren't VIPs? Mine had this generic black background which I really liked until I actually went into the settings and hosed with it, now it shows the game art of the last game I played.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Oh poo poo the my game and apps view in the menu fly out now has a category showing what can be quick resumed

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fly Ricky posted:

How do sign up to be an "Xbox Insider"? Are there any other dynamic backgrounds available to us pleebs that aren't VIPs? Mine had this generic black background which I really liked until I actually went into the settings and hosed with it, now it shows the game art of the last game I played.

Im not an insider and the dynamic original xbox theme is available to me.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Guess I’m officially an Outsider, I’ve got zilch.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Search Xbox insider on the store and download the app.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The Bethesda's Starfield rumor mill is going strong these last couple of days. Latest tidbits are that it won't come out for PS at all and will be unveiled at E3 this year with a possible autumn release.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

John F Bennett posted:

The Bethesda's Starfield rumor mill is going strong these last couple of days. Latest tidbits are that it won't come out for PS at all and will be unveiled at E3 this year with a possible autumn release.

I still don’t get why people think any more Bethesda games are gonna be on PS, apart from the few stragglers already locked in to contracts

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean, if sony lets gamepass onto Playstation, sure

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I still don’t get why people think any more Bethesda games are gonna be on PS, apart from the few stragglers already locked in to contracts

We live in a world where Xbox games are on Switch and PlayStation games are on Xbox

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1393383582370992128?s=19

If true, then that is a huge get! I know Jeff can be hit or miss, and to me it's still just a rumor, but man I'm getting more and more excited for this game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
How is this news?ñ are you people really that stupid? Lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

American McGay posted:

How is this news?ñ are you people really that stupid? Lol

Buddy, if you want to enjoy yourself reading the work of either the finest troll to post or the absolute dumbest most obstinate idiot, get yourself over to ResetEra and read the thread on this topic where a self professed Bethesda superfan is melting down like a reactor going critical

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Jeff Grubb proudly putting his rubber stamp on a post that reads "the sun will rise tomorrow. Period."

safe harbor
Jul 18, 2004
EMO AS FUCK
I'm giving up trying to get a PS5 so I'm throwing my hat into getting a Series X since people are having more luck getting it. I still have my launch Xbox One and PS Pro. I just want to play games without having my console sound like a jet engine and super long load times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There hasn't even been a single in-game screenshot or gameplay video of Starfield. And just about every Todd Howard game is bad. Why does anyone care about this?