Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Jacobites would be a better name for Mini Cheddars.

e: They had some adverts with talking Mini Cheddars in 1992

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Honestly didn't know Jacobites were still around in 1992

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Guavanaut posted:

Gypsy is fine as long as you use a capital G and are actually talking about Gypsies and not using it as an umbrella for all GRT peoples.

But yes, Europe is very racist against all of those groups and frequently does roll them all into one.

mega yikes but also lol at calling france northern europe

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Borrovan posted:

Honestly didn't know Jacobites were still around in 1992

They're still a thing NOW. Also the origin of the Sealed Knot reenactment society btw.

Me I'm Team Leveller

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

crispix posted:

THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGS

CAN OOOOOOONLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

BEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

now i found you

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/trillingual/status/1392746894372265984?s=21

Excellent long read here.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bump_fn posted:

mega yikes but also lol at calling france northern europe

Yeah but similarly you can't lump in Lille with southern europe either

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

sassassin posted:

I can't find the hole the mice are getting into my attic and I had to sleep downstairs last night because they were apparently playing with the blocks of poison I put up there, causing an even worse racket than usual.

Tell me how I stop pandering to these Mice.

poison just leads to mice crawling off, dying then stinking up random places you probably can't get to

if you want them dead, use plastic snap traps baited with peanut butter or chocolate spread

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

It's time we stopped pandering to columnists. Indulging those who claim to be journalists by giving them designated websites and delusions of relevance has gone too far.
The worst of it is people like Parris up there who write out these completely unresearched opinion pieces that are then published as fact. And obviously the second you suggest that they should be subject to more rigorous standards of fact checking somewhat, you are a fascist and are silencing our freeze peach.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Peak centrism is making everyone hate you and then expecting them to vote for you because it's obvious you're the sensible grown up.
I've been thinking about this a lot recently, and I think they're just transposing their attitudes towards their parents onto any authority figure. All the 'grownups are back in the room' and 'agree to disagree' stuff. It's some powerful externalised superego poo poo.

They really do want to go back to having someone who 'looks trustworthy' sorting it all out for them, so they don't have to pay attention and can go back to playing dinner parties. And the problem with Kieth is he was designed in a lab to look trustworthy to that sort of person, but in practice was a gormless berk with absolutely no moral or ideological stance on anything.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Tony is targeting the demographic "Hufflepuff man" who aspires to live in a magically kept apartheid separate from muggles.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I've been thinking about this a lot recently, and I think they're just transposing their attitudes towards their parents onto any authority figure.

I, of course, would never ever do such a thing.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/Mr_Considerate/status/1393163524461957120

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

sassassin posted:

I can't find the hole the mice are getting into my attic and I had to sleep downstairs last night because they were apparently playing with the blocks of poison I put up there, causing an even worse racket than usual.

Buy a humane trap and don't kill them, exile them instead.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

sassassin posted:

If the noise is the problem then use glue instead of poison.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

OwlFancier posted:

I, of course, would never ever do such a thing.

-Freud Intensifies-

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Buy a humane trap and don't kill them, exile them instead.

I used one of these to expel my guest in my last house.
Four storey house, Im at the top, no attic, no attached houses, so not sure how the little bugger got up into my room.
Laid the trap with chocolate peanut butter, caught him, and walked a mile away and let him out in a ditch.
When I was moving out, I found his 'home', he had eaten into my foam mattress and created a little burrow lined with chewed up paper.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

feedmegin posted:

They're still a thing NOW. Also the origin of the Sealed Knot reenactment society btw.

Me I'm Team Leveller

They sure are!

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

Azza Bamboo posted:

If the noise is the problem then use glue instead of poison.

FFS don't use glue traps unless you're an evil oval office who likes to cause horrific suffering.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://metro.co.uk/2021/05/14/countdowns-rachel-riley-loses-latest-round-of-libel-battle-with-blogger-14583691/

Of course she wears a Karen face shield and not a mask.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Voyeur posted:

FFS don't use glue traps unless you're an evil oval office who likes to cause horrific suffering.
I put down glue traps once many years ago & :nms:found more gnawed-off legs than intact mice.:nms: They are monstrous, I didn't know better at the time but for the love of god do not use them.

Modern snap traps are perfectly humane though, I've never not had a clean kill with them.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Not to stan for Stammer, but there is another reason why he might not be wearing a wedding ring.
If you put on weight (and we aren't talking massive amounts of weight.) It can sometimes just end up distributed on the parts of you hands/fingers near where you wear your ring.
You don't even end up with big sausage fingers, but you can have build ups that make wearing rings hard or painful.

And the photos of Keir over the last few years have shown him looking less and less healthy.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Don't use poison either, unless you enjoy the smell of rotting mouse

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Voyeur posted:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Until I fix whatever tiny hole they're using to get in trying to exile them is pointless. There's clearly a well-trodden and pissed on path established into my attic. Probably going to have to call in professionals to find it because I've tried and completely failed.

Thankfully no sign anything's getting into the rest of the house. Should get a little ratter dog just in case, though.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I spent weeks trying to no kill trap a mouse and they do not give a gently caress about peanut butter unless it's underneath a guillotine.
About 2 hours after I put down a single lethal trap he was right in there.

Of course by then he'd brought his whole family and it got very heart of darkness. You feel awful about the first mouse but glad about the sixth mouse.

If they go off properly the mouse dies before it can finish its scream which is... that's good right

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If you think the hole might be between the roof and the outside, get your mate to drop a smoke grenade in the attic while you pace around the outside seeing where it comes out.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Voyeur posted:

I've used them twice, did not want to but they were coursing through the floorboards/ceiling space incessantly at night and the lack of sleep over two weeks was driving me bonkers.... so i did it because it worked. :smith:

Never want to do it again.

edit: spelling

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

Not to stan for Stammer, but there is another reason why he might not be wearing a wedding ring.
If you put on weight (and we aren't talking massive amounts of weight.) It can sometimes just end up distributed on the parts of you hands/fingers near where you wear your ring.
You don't even end up with big sausage fingers, but you can have build ups that make wearing rings hard or painful.

And the photos of Keir over the last few years have shown him looking less and less healthy.

i like to think it’s his handlers wanting his fans to think he’s still “attainable” , it’s like boy band management 101

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Oops wrong thread.

Surely Starmer could just resize the ring.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Stormgale posted:

https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/1393486136115408896

Living an agrarian lifestyle has mutated the british psyche to the point anyone who moves location is the devil.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I remember feeling quite bad using moletraps. very soft fuzzy, dead, moles.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
isn’t this why we domesticated cats

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I've never had to use mousetraps (on account of having 5 cats) but have come downstairs to see one of them had brought in a live mouse, nearly lost it and rectified the situation...by half crushing it under the lid of a sewing machine.

Seriously it was like something out of a Looney Tunes movie, I never did find out which one was responsible

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

bump_fn posted:

Before the Romans brought cats over from Africa the Greeks had house snakes for that purpose :kimchi:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

At uni once I opened the cupboard the bread is stored in and pulled it by the bag only to find it was just the crust hollowed out from the back of the cupboard by a motherfucking mouse who was still there and looking at me with what felt like a hint of smugness before fleeing.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ndroidApp_Other

Wtf dave miliband... A £700k salary for running a charity is not normal right?!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A lot of international charities have really high salaries to pull in people with political connections or celebrity status. Kinda speaks to the hollowness of certain charities but I guess it's unavoidable in our current economic system.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

bump_fn posted:

My cats will catch and release small mammals into my home for their own enjoyment so no lol.

Last time we invested in a humane mouse trap but I ended up catching the thing with my bare hands anyway.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tesseraction posted:

At uni once I opened the cupboard the bread is stored in and pulled it by the bag only to find it was just the crust hollowed out from the back of the cupboard by a motherfucking mouse who was still there and looking at me with what felt like a hint of smugness before fleeing.

Serves you right for hoarding all the bread, comrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Communist Thoughts posted:

I spent weeks trying to no kill trap a mouse and they do not give a gently caress about peanut butter unless it's underneath a guillotine.
About 2 hours after I put down a single lethal trap he was right in there.

Of course by then he'd brought his whole family and it got very heart of darkness. You feel awful about the first mouse but glad about the sixth mouse.

If they go off properly the mouse dies before it can finish its scream which is... that's good right

It's a pain but only handle the humane trap with gloves on and stick a cardboard box over the top, that way they seem a lot quicker to scurry on in. Works on rats and mice in and outdoors.

Walnuts stuck in peanut butter does the trick for me.