Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Saros posted:

The advice was specifically for NSAID's, Ibuprofen and Aspirin being the ones people are likely have on hand. It's theoretically possible that suppressing inflammation will reduce the effectiveness of the immune response to the vaccine. Paracetamol or whatever is gonna be fine

Yeah it’s totally plausible that it’s harmful and they kept track of it in the studies in case it was a dealbreaker.

It wasn’t a dealbreaker—about half of Pfizer’s vaccine arm took NSAIDs after their second dose—but it’s not something that “makes absolutely no sense”.

Take pain medication if you need it, don’t take it if you don’t. Don’t pregame because you definitely don’t have need of it before the injection.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

we are all dead of covid we just don't know it yet

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

*burns left over masks*

Glad this is over with finally.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It was advised to avoid taking NSAIDs before vaccination, and that was based on suggestive research involving other vaccinations, if memory serves. It's reasonable advice and I followed it, but there is no indication that treating side effects after the fact is bad. Truth be told I erred on the side of caution and waited for like a day or so afterwards, but that was almost certainly excessive of me.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Saros posted:

The advice was specifically for NSAID's, Ibuprofen and Aspirin being the ones people are likely have on hand. It's theoretically possible that suppressing inflammation will reduce the effectiveness of the immune response to the vaccine. Paracetamol or whatever is gonna be fine

Paracetamol is an NSAID. AIUI current advice is to avoid ibuprofen and aspirin because they're also blood thinners.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Hey guys, its November 2034 the 15th anniversary of discovery of CoVid! You know what that means! Bring it (no closer than 6ft) in!
Optimus Prime, Shredder, half the Mortal Kombat cast, the Power Rangers (Morphed) are already obeying mask traditions and always have been, carrying the stuff for a HUGE PARTY

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Paracetamol is an NSAID. AIUI current advice is to avoid ibuprofen and aspirin because they're also blood thinners.

Paracetamol is definitely not a NSAID. It blocks pain through a completely different mechanism.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Sounds like Bo-Jo is bracing for at least not being able to fully openerup on Jun 21st and maybe another lockdown?

Who knows at this point, I honestly cannot tell if UK media is run by doomongering psychopaths or this is how actually is, welp.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

They've known since at least 5th May what a bad idea reopening on the current schedule is if the Indian variant is even a bit more transmissible.

The guardian has a decent summary of it and you can read the scenarios yourself in the SAGE minutes from 5th May.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/sage-meetings-may-2021

But of course bojo is gonna reopen too early before having to lock down again in middle/late summer because hospitalisations are matching levels from the first wave.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Fucks sake read the whole god drat sentence not just the bit of it you can cherry pick and “win” a non-existent argument over.

It makes absolutely no loving sense whatsoever to be told not to take painkillers because you need the reaction to become immune but also to be told that it does not matter that you don’t have a reaction because reactions aren’t an indicator of if you have antibodies or not.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Thanks for the article, it sounds more grounded than "BRITONS WON'T BE ABLE TO GO TO MAGALUF THIS SUMMER!!!!!!!!! :supaburn:" headlines tend to pop up.

I mean, yeah, looks like Germany put the UK on the "high risk area" watch again as well.

It's RobinWilliamsJumanjiWhatYearIsThis.jpeg meme but with Covid.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Lamppost licking delayed until further notice.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's good that they're (finally) being cautious. If they do need to delay a full reopening by a few weeks, its better to give plenty of notice rather than dithering around for weeks and then u-turning the day before, like they did with Xmas.

With that said, I still think the Uk is now in a very good place as regards Covid and I'd be surprised if they actually did need to change the roadmap.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Saros posted:

Paracetamol is definitely not a NSAID. It blocks pain through a completely different mechanism.

Weird, I must be having one of those Mandela Effect things because I was absolutely certain it was but nope, you're right.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/exaltiora/status/1393061132781473795

e: Thank you pointless Twitter crop

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Part of the reasoning for the announcement seems to be "if you get your shot then you can get this nice candy":
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-masks-idUSKBN2CV1M5
"U.S. officials hope new mask advice drives uptick in COVID shots"

Trying to make the connection between vaxx on, mask off more real for people who lack object permanence.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I'm sure this is true for most of the US but in the KC metro we're fully one hand per cheek opening er up per CDC guidelines

Welp glad im vaxxcked up

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Weird, I must be having one of those Mandela Effect things because I was absolutely certain it was but nope, you're right.

I had the exact same reaction when you said it was and had to go confirm it in case I'd been wrong for years and years.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Saros posted:

I had the exact same reaction when you said it was and had to go confirm it in case I'd been wrong for years and years.

Now I think about it, I assume I just thought "Well it's not a steroid, so it must be an NSAID" without even bothering to think about the rest of the acronym. By my definition morphine, water, and molten lead are all also NSAIDs.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

wilderthanmild posted:

Getting groceries and you see a no appointment, no cost vaccination site while you've been dragging your feet, hell you might get it then. Get offered by your work to get a shot on a day they have people coming to come do it, sure why not.

This is how they handled swine flu vaccines here. I'd never gotten a flu vax before (they didn't recommend it to my age group at the time), but it didn't really take any convincing when they announced it in a work email: "flu shots for all employees, given out weeks X to Y, drop by room 22B any time". You've got exactly the right idea. This is how they should continue with the covid vaccines once we've bottomed out the age brackets. Set up pop-up clinics/vans at major workplaces, schools, universities, hospitals, supermarkets, any place a lot of people visit. I agree it should shave off another 5-10 percentage points in the long term.

Just for the love of god don't buy life-protecting equipment off Amazon. (At least if you're in the U.S.) Use a retailer who knows exactly where their shipment came from.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 15, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

learnincurve posted:

Fucks sake read the whole god drat sentence not just the bit of it you can cherry pick and “win” a non-existent argument over.

It makes absolutely no loving sense whatsoever to

You seem upset, friend

Have a big warm CDC-approved maskless outdoors hug!!! :glomp:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Fallows posted:

*burns left over masks*

Glad this is over with finally.

Get ready for the part of the pandemic in which the developed world goes back to normal and there are stricter-than-ever border controls with the developing world!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

freebooter posted:

Get ready for the part of the pandemic in which the developed world goes back to normal and there are stricter-than-ever border controls with the developing world!

Is "normal" where people go "oh yeah my 37 year old friend got covid and he's in the hospital but whatever" while they eat buffalo wild wings and also get covid?

I realize a shitload of people are doing this now but now everybody has the government's go-ahead and encouragement to be this when we are still way under vaccinated according to recent, previous outlined necessities.

It feels like the government is just going "well, gently caress it, they're all going to do whatever they want anyhow. May as well tell them it's cool."

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Is "normal" where people go "oh yeah my 37 year old friend got covid and he's in the hospital but whatever" while they eat buffalo wild wings and also get covid?

I realize a shitload of people are doing this now but now everybody has the government's go-ahead and encouragement to be this when we are still way under vaccinated according to recent, previous outlined necessities.

It feels like the government is just going "well, gently caress it, they're all going to do whatever they want anyhow. May as well tell them it's cool."

How many years on earth did it take you to finally understand how average human beings deal with tragedy that isn't theirs?

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Oh man, Phizer dose 2 is kicking my rear end. Fever, fatigue, total body muscle aches, blegh. Still beats getting yeeted off this mortal coil though.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Covid sucks and watching people die sucks, but if someone chooses to drive without a seatbelt, go out in public without a mask/vaccination, or stick their wiener in a dark hole, that sounds like it's their problem. Making those things illegal just makes the consequences easier to digest (and laugh at).

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I had to pick an important mail from my ex-housemate , who is in a mindfulness/quantum wishing cult and a vehement anti-vaxxer in her mid 50s.

Of course she didn't get her vaccine despite being a middle school teacher and got hyper offended when I said I can't stay over for a coffee in her plague cabin.

Should've told her to drop the mail outside and burned that bridge tbh.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.
So, I know no one here really needs more reasons to be frustrated with the CDC or the WHO, but this is a real doozy: https://www.wired.com/story/the-teeny-tiny-scientific-screwup-that-helped-covid-kill/

TL;DR: the super lovely messaging regarding airborne transmission that lasted for almost all of 2020 basically came down to the WHO being bizarrely anti-science and unwilling to accept the fact that their decades old assumptions about the difference between airborne transmission and droplet transmission stemmed from unsourced and incorrect beliefs about the particle size required for droplets to remain airborne.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

satanic splash-back posted:

How many years on earth did it take you to finally understand how average human beings deal with tragedy that isn't theirs?

How many years on earth will it take you to realize that nearly four figures of people dying every day in a single country to one illness shouldn't be normal? especially when it's an incredibly contagious illness?

It's cool to open up when covid is fuckin' off, but it isn't anywhere near there yet. May 5th we had 42,000 new cases. We're still averaging very close to that 10 days later. Why all these sudden regulation drops when nothing has changed and 10 days ago it was "oh well we aren't ready for it yet! here are our hallmarks!"

Why throw all the hallmarks away and go "gently caress it, just do whatever"?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Castaign posted:

So, I know no one here really needs more reasons to be frustrated with the CDC or the WHO, but this is a real doozy: https://www.wired.com/story/the-teeny-tiny-scientific-screwup-that-helped-covid-kill/

TL;DR: the super lovely messaging regarding airborne transmission that lasted for almost all of 2020 basically came down to the WHO being bizarrely anti-science and unwilling to accept the fact that their decades old assumptions about the difference between airborne transmission and droplet transmission stemmed from unsourced and incorrect beliefs about the particle size required for droplets to remain airborne.

This is a fascinating article. Short version is the whole '5 micron is the airborne cutoff' comes from 5 micron being the size of airborne TB particles. The original physics pointed to particles up to 100 micron hanging in the air for significant times, but since TB was the first really identified airborne disease, the 5 micron stuck in the medical community's mind as the number. So it's essentially complete bullshit, and COVID, common flu, etc... are all 'airborne' and can hang in the air for various amounts of time.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure how, unless we've magically gotten a universal verification system set up, people aren't just going to lie and be all "yup sure am vaxxed, lol"
:sigh:

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I know here in NY at least they give vaccination certification cards out when the give it. Could be faked I guess but that's always possible.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WombatCyborg posted:

I know here in NY at least they give vaccination certification cards out when the give it. Could be faked I guess but that's always possible.

They have already been sold on eBay, both “replicas” and the pilfered real deal.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I learned that "too hot and too cold nerves are different" thing the hard way a couple weeks ago after eating some Doritos Roulette chips, getting a few good and hot ones, thinking the sensation had passed, and then having a piece of mint gum.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Rescue Toaster posted:

This is a fascinating article. Short version is the whole '5 micron is the airborne cutoff' comes from 5 micron being the size of airborne TB particles. The original physics pointed to particles up to 100 micron hanging in the air for significant times, but since TB was the first really identified airborne disease, the 5 micron stuck in the medical community's mind as the number. So it's essentially complete bullshit, and COVID, common flu, etc... are all 'airborne' and can hang in the air for various amounts of time.

The dumbest part is that even this stupid cutoff would be fine, if they didn't treat it as some binary state of being where TB and measles are airborne, but every other disease moves only 6 feet and falls out of the air. Basically they took two extreme ends of a spectrum and said it's one or the other. Early in the pandemic I'd assumed this 6 foot rule of thumb they were using was based on some actual understanding of this virus, not some outdated one size fits all rule. Turns out they were dumb as hell and had been dumb about other diseases for decades as this same issue had been raised with flu, chickenpox, etc and nothing had ever moved.

Why does everyone in any position of authority always turn out to be so dumb? Humans are so loving dumb.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I'm on two immunosuppressants (and high dose ibuprofen). My employer offered the Moderna vaccine back in December, so I asked my doctors and the advice was to stay with my medications and get the vaccine. It would be risky to stop the meds and even a partial immune response is better than no vaccine.
I don't seem to be dead yet but I am still nervous out in public.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

To be clear this was a joke you shouldn't have to just because there's too many selfish rear end in a top hat.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Just for the love of god don't buy life-protecting equipment off Amazon. (At least if you're in the U.S.) Use a retailer who knows exactly where their shipment came from.

Oh yeah absolutely.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 15, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

xcheopis posted:

I'm on two immunosuppressants (and high dose ibuprofen). My employer offered the Moderna vaccine back in December, so I asked my doctors and the advice was to stay with my medications and get the vaccine. It would be risky to stop the meds and even a partial immune response is better than no vaccine.
I don't seem to be dead yet but I am still nervous out in public.

The study for the second dose of Pfizer in post transplant patients concluded and 54% of recipients developed antibodies so things may not be quite so bad. The first dose only generated antibodies in 17%.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2779852

Having antibodies doesn’t necessarily translate to effectiveness though

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Platystemon posted:

They have already been sold on eBay, both “replicas” and the pilfered real deal.

I mean it's just a thing you can get a PDF and print on card stock, and hand write your name on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Fallom posted:

The study for the second dose of Pfizer in post transplant patients concluded and 54% of recipients developed antibodies so things may not be quite so bad. The first dose only generated antibodies in 17%.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2779852

Having antibodies doesn’t necessarily translate to effectiveness though

Thanks for the article!
I have rheumatoid arthritis, so I'm not so bad off as transplant patients. It must be terrifying for them.