Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Thats properly blyatted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 18, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Crab Dad posted:

I don’t think drippy buttons can ever be good.

I didn't even realize they had ever been buttons at first.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

FrozenVent posted:

Is that the container ship that had to be towed in from the gulf?

Thats just the Pres Eisenhower off Santa Barbara.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/SistersofB/status/1390638566737317889?s=19

Helicopters are an affront to god

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It’ll buff out

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Just paint over it.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
J.B. Weld should do the trick.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Lmao that lube oil pump

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Goons, have any of you participated in a Ready Relevant Learning workshop? I've been doing one for the NFCS course all week and it is extremely lol.

Edit: I mean that it is extremely lol to be doing an RRL Workshop for NFCS specifically, because its such a pointless and idiotic system, and because the SMEs they tapped for it either haven't touched the system since they took the course eight years ago (my current ship doesn't even have it), or have taken the course very recently so they could immediately start teaching it with no actual fleet experience.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 14, 2021

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
my friends have updated me on my old construction battalion's construction efforts on deployment - they have two projects on camp in okinawa that are stand still due to no materials. that's two deployments in a row they've had this issue. a construction battalion that can't even get materials for themselves. what a cool not waste of money for the force

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Hi guys, lurker here seeking advice. I'm an AD ET2 with my EAOS and PRD coinciding 2-3 years from now. My main priority when transitioning from sea duty is to relocate to Dallas, TX. I've got a couple rough plans for what happens then:

A) Get my CCNA certification by then and :getout:. Use my Post 9/11 GI Bill to get a BS in Comp Sci to transition to Software Development.

B) Do shore duty. The benefits include tuition assistance, normal working hours, job security, and health insurance. Unfortunately, the in-rate billets listed on MNA (even showing 1 up 1 down and closed) do not offer anything near Dallas. I think my best chance is to apply for MEPS Dallas or recruiting.

Can anyone speak to how recruiting / MEPS is? Have I overlooked another option?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
A

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

There is no situation where I would take MEPS/Recruiting over just severing and taking the Health Insurance risk unless you had a pre-existing condition or kids. Working full-time and trying to do good work in college is a sucker's bet. Sure, you might be able to work through it, but you'll be miserable the entire time and why do it if you don't have to.

Source: I tried to work my way through an engineering education pre-Navy (FC) and went to night classes to work on my MS post-Navy (which I did mostly to use the stipend as an additional source of income).

Get your certificate, get accepted to (insert comp sci school in Texas here), make sure you know that you want to do dev work day in and day out, take some student loans out and enjoy civilian life.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Fred Dawes posted:

Hi guys, lurker here seeking advice. I'm an AD ET2 with my EAOS and PRD coinciding 2-3 years from now. My main priority when transitioning from sea duty is to relocate to Dallas, TX. I've got a couple rough plans for what happens then:

A) Get my CCNA certification by then and :getout:. Use my Post 9/11 GI Bill to get a BS in Comp Sci to transition to Software Development.

B) Do shore duty. The benefits include tuition assistance, normal working hours, job security, and health insurance. Unfortunately, the in-rate billets listed on MNA (even showing 1 up 1 down and closed) do not offer anything near Dallas. I think my best chance is to apply for MEPS Dallas or recruiting.

My advice:
Start planning like you're going to separate. Begin this process 24-18 months out from your EAOS. You can still keep everything in place for a potential reenlistment without fully committing to separation right away. Do the TAP requirements, do your research on education plans in Dallas, relocation, medical insurance coverage, all of that. Do it all with the exception of returning your C-WAY quota and routing separation paperwork.

When you get to the 15 month mark from your PRD, contact your rating Detailer and ask if they would nominate you for recruiting duty. If yes, this is when you find out which NRDs (now called NTAGs) are available. NRD Dallas is now NTAG Red River, and it appears that CNRC lumped north Texas in with Oklahoma. This means that there is a very real possibility that even if you were to get assigned to the NTAG, you may end up at a TAOC (recruiting office) very loving far away from Dallas. You won't know your TAOC until you already have orders, you can't negotiate that part until you're committed to the assignment.

MEPS assignments are pretty rare, you can certainly ask about that as well when you talk to your Detailer. The Navy staff is normally pretty small, so if your rotation doesn't line up with another PO2 there, odds aren't great of getting in there.

Depending on your insurance/family situation, maybe consider the SELRES while you're in college. If you want to chat about any of this stuff let me know.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Fred Dawes posted:

Do A and go into the Reserves only if health insurance is an issue. It aint no joke on the outside poo poo is outrageously expensive unless you got a really decent job. The only recruiters I ever met who seemed to not hate/given up on life are the recruiters who specialize in recruiting for the reserves on bases.

So I can't remember if I was drunk or just mixing up random crap in my head but I recall there being some strange program were you can become a recruiter but never make rank past E5 but you also wont get moved. Basically become a permanent recruiter. Wish I could recall the name for it or just be told that doesnt exist stop smoking crack.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Thanks for everyone's inputs! I'll keep you posted.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Have you considered taking back to back sea duty, buying a bitchin Camaro, and marrying a stripper?

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Fred Dawes posted:

Get out and go to school. You will not manage a good state school CS/CSE program while working full time, and if you're not doing a big school with a good program you might as well do coding bootcamps.

Do FAFSA, make sure you're considered independent, and file an EFC adjustment with your school showing loss of wages due to no longer being in the military. At Ohio State for example the average grant money from the Pell, and other school/state grants is 8.5-9k a semester. This is in addition to your post 9/11. State schools offer health insurance plans that are reasonable if you're really worried.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

bengy81 posted:

Have you considered taking back to back sea duty, buying a bitchin Camaro, and marrying a stripper?

Dude pump the loving brakes

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

They can do that shore duty as an RDC!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Fred Dawes posted:

Recruiting is an awful poo poo show of misery, per every recruiter I have ever spoken to.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Fred Dawes posted:

You should absolutely get out. Dallas and Fort Worth area have a lot of opportunity. Some tech companies even have data centers there you might be able to land a job at with your past experience in case GI Bill doesn't pay enough and that would be like a foot in the door sort of thing. The sooner you get out the sooner you can start building seniority and benefits with your next company as well. Most software companies have tuition assistance and good insurance, so shore duty doesn't offer you anything but being tortured by the loving Navy. I also do not think that shore duty has normal working hours, as recruiters are most definitely working weekends and non office hours to accommodate potential recruits, and then carting them all around the loving state. Perhaps MEPS may have regular hours. But if you spend 3 years at shore duty that is 3 years you do nothing to make yourself more hireable, aside from whatever school you can do outside of working hours. Seems like a big waste compared to just going to school full time, or having a job in a related field or with a related company and doing school part time. Where I worked we got reimbursed for our first degree regardless of the source of payment, so for the year it took me to finish my degree the GI Bill paid like 18k in tuition to the school and I received an 18k check from work, so that was a pretty sweet deal.

Comedy/goldmining option is to find a SF Bay area school that has online classes with the option to take at least one in person, and has classes that only meet once or twice a term and do the rest online, and then collect 4k BAH every month. I did something similar, where I went to WSU online and took 1 class a term at their Vancouver campus, chose a class that met 1-3 times a term in person and did the rest online, and was able to get Portland BAH of 2409 instead of central oregon (where I live) BAH of 1400.

Lots of ways to work the system. When it gets closer seek out some of the people that maximized their benefits.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Grip it and rip it posted:

Recruiting is an awful poo poo show of misery, per every recruiter I have ever spoken to.

I have heard that from everyone I have ever spoken to about it, with the exception of this guy I knew on the Bush, his name was Jones. He was a nuke recruiter in Texas, and he told me that he had to get a special waiver for recruiting because he had a stutter. He said he was really nervous about how it would all work out and he arrived there early Summer of 2001. His numbers were not good and he was in hot water already just a few months in. He then said to me "I hate to say it, but 9/11 was the best thing that ever happened for me, career wise", he then went on to explain that after that he no longer had to "work", people just showed up in droves. If he wanted to actively recruit he would go to the bar at TGI Friday or Applebees on Friday afternoon in uniform and he could fill up his month's quota rather easily.

Other than that one specific instance, recruiting seems like a shitshow.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Crab Dad posted:

So I can't remember if I was drunk or just mixing up random crap in my head but I recall there being some strange program were you can become a recruiter but never make rank past E5 but you also wont get moved. Basically become a permanent recruiter. Wish I could recall the name for it or just be told that doesnt exist stop smoking crack.

Reserves CANREC. 5 years in a location of your choosing before you either go AD NC or get out.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

IncredibleIgloo posted:

"I hate to say it, but 9/11 was the best thing that ever happened for me, career wise"

Well you gotta hand it to George Bush

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Back in the states from deployment, gotta say, after hearing and reading about the pain train that was boat life deployment during COVID, I'm especially glad I'm in the VP world, my boat friends seemed to be hating life even more than they already were.

Also doing my first stint as a Div-O, so now I actually have to be...RESPONSIBLE :magical:
I still have no clue what I'm doing

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Back in the states from deployment, gotta say, after hearing and reading about the pain train that was boat life deployment during COVID, I'm especially glad I'm in the VP world, my boat friends seemed to be hating life even more than they already were.

Also doing my first stint as a Div-O, so now I actually have to be...RESPONSIBLE :magical:

Welcome back, we didn't totally break the country :).Keep a pay chart handy to remind your Chiefs how that poo poo loving works

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

You in Norfolk enjoying ROM? I just got freedom today.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Crab Dad posted:

You in Norfolk enjoying ROM? I just got freedom today.

Nope, got the JJ vaccine a month or so back so I got let loose on Whidbey as soon as we landed. Our flight doc was fighting for months to get us shots so it was pretty awesome when they approved us.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Nope, got the JJ vaccine a month or so back so I got let loose on Whidbey as soon as we landed. Our flight doc was fighting for months to get us shots so it was pretty awesome when they approved us.

Oh gently caress you must be active duty. They still ROM'ing reservists no matter what. I've been vaccinated for 6 weeks now.
Man I can not wait to get back home to WA. The weather has looked great.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

Oh gently caress you must be active duty. They still ROM'ing reservists no matter what. I've been vaccinated for 6 weeks now.
Man I can not wait to get back home to WA. The weather has looked great.

Transferring away from Washington was probably one of the biggest mistakes I made in the Navy. I really love western Washington.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Transferring away from Washington was probably one of the biggest mistakes I made in the Navy. I really love western Washington.

First day of the year my wife wished we had AC. Seems a little early but eh....

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Its been absolutely gorgeous in Washington, glad to be back for the summer, especially with stuff opening up again.

Also looks like we have our next RIMPAC SINEX targets

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Its been absolutely gorgeous in Washington, glad to be back for the summer, especially with stuff opening up again.

Also looks like we have our next RIMPAC SINEX targets

They're going to have to line the interior along the waterline with armor plating simply so everything they shoot at it doesn't horrifcally overpen.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I got my disability rating which was INSANELY high compared to what I was expecting. Welfare queens unite.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
They refuse to raise mine, the bastards.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
I can tell that it's been a while since I looked at Bulwarks because I had NO idea that they made them for women now too. Gonna get a pair and try them out, though of course they're like, 50 bucks more expensive than men's because pink tax and all that.

One more week of freedom and then DH school commences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ECRC still terrible and in addition to being delayed a week there’s also the 96 coming up that may push me back a little if anything goes wrong.

Told my NOSC that I would be potentially flying in Friday or Saturday and they said perfect it’s a drill weekend just come in right away.

No. It’s been 370 days. They can wait till Monday.