Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Bug Squash posted:

King Cobra is most overrated. Just loving grab it's tail and whip that idiot against a tree.
THE OPHIOPHAGUS DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON. King Cobras can get up to 18 feet long, have a strike distance of 7 feet, are shockingly strong and fast, and their venom can kill you in a half hour. The reason they don't kill more people is that they aren't very aggressive toward humans (except when there are eggs to protect) and prefer to flee rather than engaging. You might kill it if you manage to get a hold of it, but does it count as winning if you die afterward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Stroop There It Is posted:

THE OPHIOPHAGUS DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON. King Cobras can get up to 18 feet long, have a strike distance of 7 feet, are shockingly strong and fast, and their venom can kill you in a half hour. The reason they don't kill more people is that they aren't very aggressive toward humans (except when there are eggs to protect) and prefer to flee rather than engaging. You might kill it if you manage to get a hold of it, but does it count as winning if you die afterward?

It doesn't say anything about size requirements, same with the elephant, could just fight one of those island ones that are the size of like, a big dog.

Stroop There It Is posted:

You might kill it if you manage to get a hold of it, but does it count as winning if you die afterward?

Yes, challenge said nothing about it having to be a non pyrrhic victory, most people could probably beat most of em by jamming their arm down their windpipe, sure you'll probably lose the arm, but you'd still win :v:

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Indecisive posted:

oh no a goose is coming at me help it might gently tap me with its beak and flap angrily at me, how will i ever be able to fight back against this creature with an enormously long + fragile neck

This is the beak that will be doing the gentle tapping:

Speaking personally, I draw the line at fighting any animal that gave HR Giger an erection.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Geese can break your bones with a flap of their wings, no joke.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Abongination posted:

Their bones are literally spongey and like 1/10 as durable as yours and could never break your bones unless you removed their bones and fired them at a human using a pneumatic cannon. They can’t do anything injurious to you except a minor pinch or scratch. If they are actively attacking you you can literally ignore them and be no worse off.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Abongination posted:

I've heard that, but wouldn't the application of a force that could break adult human bones also shatter all of the goose's hollow bones in its wings?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ever noticed how long and weak a goose neck is? I'd just do this to it:

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Years ago I had a summer job catching swans and geese trapped in people's gardens.

A large towel is enough to subdue a large swan so you can then grab its neck and wrap your arm around their wings and body so they dont flap.

They sound and flap like demons but once you get past that they are easily taken care of.

Canadian geese will shut up quickly if you knee them in the chest if they fly up to you and do that half flying flap attack, but you run a big risk of getting hit in the nuts, and that does hurt A LOT.

Molentik has a new favorite as of 17:51 on May 15, 2021

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Geese can sense fear. You walk around looking like you'd like to show a goose who's boss, a goose isn't going to gently caress with you.

Now a swan? I would run away from a swan. Mostly because they're so pretty and I would not want to hurt one.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

mobby_6kl posted:

Ever noticed how long and weak a goose neck is? I'd just do this to it:

They have high HP, though, so you may need to perform the entire fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6xwMWslpzE

e: didn't embed on mobile

BrianBoitano has a new favorite as of 19:03 on May 15, 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem with fighting an elephant is you potentially wind up with Tony Jaa coming to kick your rear end in revenge afterwards even if you win/survive.

Yeah but its hand to hadn't, he doesn't get to bring his TIE fighter.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

The chimp is easily the most underrated animal on that list. Having seen an alpha chimp decide another chimp was on his poo poo list, there's just no way a human is surviving. I think those 25% of men have a mental image that's a juvenile female, since those are the ones that usually get filmed on TV since they are less likely to go kill crazy if slighted.

Yeah chimps (and gorillas for that matter) are absolutely swole and would wreck any adult man even without factoring in the teeth. Those things have muscles that would put a bodybuilder to shame. Humans evolved to be tall, lean, hot-weather persistence hunters whose best strategy on the savanna is to just jog after prey for miles until it collapses from exhaustion, and as a result we lost most of our muscle mass. Chimps didn't and even the ones that sit around in zoos all day are jacked compared to a human.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Nile delta girls make do

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

1 vs 1 against a chimp i would simply explain the superiority of bitcoin until overwhelming ennui drove it to self mutilate. i would then suffocate the miserable wretch within the many folds of my superior corpulence

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Sucrose posted:

Yeah chimps (and gorillas for that matter) are absolutely swole and would wreck any adult man even without factoring in the teeth.

That may be true for most people but not me. I would stun them with a quick array of karate chops and kicks and finish them off with the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Chimps are much stronger than humans on a pound-for-pound basis. Chimps are a lot smaller than us, though, so the actual strength difference isn't that big. They're still insanely vicious and will use their teeth to gently caress you up.

Gorillas are also much stronger than humans on a pound-for-pound basis, but they're also much larger than us. Don't gently caress with a gorilla.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Going to the village social with one of these tucked into your pants, back hunched over from the pain but so worth it

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Abongination posted:

No actually they can't.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
https://i.imgur.com/1xaIrQ6.mp4

Tangentially, Zoo Nebraska is a good (nonfiction) book about a primate preserve in the middle of Nebraska, of all places, run by a guy who was going to work with Dian Fossey before her murder. Heads up: if you like chimpanzees you will understand but not like the way the story ends.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sucrose posted:

Yeah chimps (and gorillas for that matter) are absolutely swole and would wreck any adult man even without factoring in the teeth. Those things have muscles that would put a bodybuilder to shame. Humans evolved to be tall, lean, hot-weather persistence hunters whose best strategy on the savanna is to just jog after prey for miles until it collapses from exhaustion, and as a result we lost most of our muscle mass. Chimps didn't and even the ones that sit around in zoos all day are jacked compared to a human.

Oh has the existence of persistence hunting been proven now?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

:confused:
There are modern people that do persistence hunting.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

3D Megadoodoo posted:

...yes? Multiple modern cultures in multiple global locations use it on a daily basis, we have records of other cultures using it, and it's a perfectly reasonable extrapolation to prehistoric cultures. Is this you being stupid and uninformed on purpose, or is Google blocked where you are?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

https://twitter.com/gubbwerks/status/1393268837852893185?s=21

The surprising thing is it actually is a model cucumber.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Weirdly, for some reason I'd thought cucumbers were native to North America. It turns out I'd been thinking of "wild cucumber", which is a set of plants that superficially resemble cucumber during their non-fruiting periods. Today I learned!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

...yes? Multiple modern cultures in multiple global locations use it on a daily basis, we have records of other cultures using it, and it's a perfectly reasonable extrapolation to prehistoric cultures. Is this you being stupid and uninformed on purpose, or is Google blocked where you are?
Forget it, Jake. It's Jerrytown.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
I like that Egyptian gods could be placated with the bronze age equivalent of a Fisher Price kitchen playset. Probably don't want to offer it to Bast or Sekhmet, though.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Bug Squash posted:

King Cobra is most overrated. Just loving grab it's tail and whip that idiot against a tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIMigVo1pyA

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Daktar posted:

I like that Egyptian gods could be placated with the bronze age equivalent of a Fisher Price kitchen playset. Probably don't want to offer it to Bast or Sekhmet, though.

Could be a funerary offering to the dead, though. As in, food for the dead to eat in the afterlife.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Eat poo poo and die

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jesus Christ

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Daktar posted:

Bastet just needs a crinkled up piece of paper or a cardboard box or some grass to chew up and barf in an unused corner

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They would have gone nuts for those plastic pizza slices that velcro together

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That scene at the end where they are all standind up giving him the stinkeye from the other side of the pit is fuckin hilarious

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

I don’t care what they are paying this guy it isn’t enough :stonk:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The first hit on Google is "Does persistence hunting exist? Probably not and here's why" so :shrug:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

onesixtwo posted:

I don’t care what they are paying this guy it isn’t enough :stonk:

I think they milk these regularly.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Beachcomber posted:

I think they milk these regularly.

You mean he does it. He milks them regularly.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The first hit on Google is "Does persistence hunting exist? Probably not and here's why" so :shrug:

I can't find that even if I paste that exact thing into an incognito window. What the gently caress have you been googling?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I can't find that even if I paste that exact thing into an incognito window. What the gently caress have you been googling?

Try in Finnish maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm assuming it's this opinion piece that end's with this amazing logic, at least that's what comes up for me, no idea what finnish google would give

quote:

Back in 1980, two Welsh men were sitting in the Neuadd Arms Hotel pub in Llanwrtyd Wells, Wales, arguing about who was faster over long distances, man or horse. Before the dispute came to blows or bitterness, they decided to settle the question with an actual race, one of 22 miles. The race was such a spectacle that it has become an annual event, each year attracting hundreds of humans and dozens of horses.

Now, there are a number of reasons why this is an imperfect test of the persistence hunting theory. Compared with most mammals, for instance, horses are actually fairly good endurance runners. And Wales is cool, not hot like the African savanna. But it is also true that the course is intentionally laid out to give the human the advantage.

So, how many times has a human won?

Twice. In 40 years.

If the prize were a meal, the humans would be starving.