Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Wicaeed posted:

Which we've told them like 5 times, this isn't a gift, but somehow they don't seem to make the distinction for lending purposes.

k, it's still the literal definition of mortgage fraud. You're lying to your lender about the source of the money. That is mortgage fraud.

If you can't cough up that extra 10%, they're probably not going to underwrite the loan. The loan officer is asking you to read between the lines so they can get their commission.

And guess what? When the loan goes sideways, you're STILL on the hook for mortgage fraud. Maybe you can take the loan officer down with you, but that will not absolve you of anything.

Don't do it, find some other way to fund it. If you go down this path, you're going to get hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Guy Axlerod posted:

A friend of mine did a corporate move, he was already in the new city so they packed and moved for him. There were a couple boxes he opened that just had a unopened amazon box inside, something he had apparently ordered but didn't get a chance to open yet.
When I had my first corporate relo a friend of mine warned me to empty the trash before the movers came to pack up my poo poo. Apparently his movers had saran wrapped and boxed up his completely full trashcan and he had a lovely surprise when he unboxed it several weeks later in the middle of a Midwestern summer.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Our corporate movers took the loving drip pan out of the stove in my apartment and packed it. Thankfully my landlord never seemed to notice or ask for it back.

They also wrapped and packed a metal mesh trash can in it's own box. Forgot all about that.

One cool thing was how they packed the clothes. They had tall wardrobe boxes with rods so everything was hanging on hangers and ready to go straight into the closet.

The box for dishes was cool too. Can't imagine how much it would have cost to buy all those boxes.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Insurrectum posted:

Pray none of those college students get injured while unpacking or packing your poo poo

Even getting incorporated through legalzoom and buying the deluxe insurance would be a drop in the bucket compared to the $10,000 you save

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hadlock posted:

Even getting incorporated through legalzoom and buying the deluxe insurance would be a drop in the bucket compared to the $10,000 you save

Heck, you could even organize them for more moves, charging a modest premium for people to use the service!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
College students getting injured from light exercise? Sir, you're thinking of "people in their 30s"

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Verman posted:

One cool thing was how they packed the clothes. They had tall wardrobe boxes with rods so everything was hanging on hangers and ready to go straight into the closet.

The box for dishes was cool too. Can't imagine how much it would have cost to buy all those boxes.

Wardrobe boxes and dish boxes are readily available and fairly inexpensive haha. Labor cost is going to blow box cost out of the water every time. Those things can't cost very much in bulk either.

Moving companies are a good racket.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Wicaeed posted:

she doesn't want to fill out a Gift Letter since everything I have read so far seems to indicate that this would mean she needs to pay taxes on that "gift" since that would imply I am not repaying it.
Unless the 10% of the down payment is 11 million dollars, she doesn't have to pay taxes on it, she just has to file a form with the IRS. You are misunderstanding the gift exclusion rule.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
Look at this home: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3-Caballito-Santa-Fe-NM-87508/249410617_zpid/

and now look at this home: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7-Caballo-Viejo-Santa-Fe-NM-87508/203222507_zpid/

They both have the exact same layout, one block apart, yet one sold 3 months ago for $574K and the other one is for sale now for $725K. My agent told me it already has one offer for $740K

Here's the thing: I have no way of knowing if that offer is real. Could it be possible that my agent is loving with me to get me to make a higher offer so she can make a higher commission? Is there any way for me to know for sure that the "other offer" is actually a legit offer?

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
I’ve got a question that may not really fit this thread, but I couldn’t find a better place for it.

I’m very seriously considering buying a house as a primary residence in the Lake Arrowhead/Big Bear area in SoCal. The thing that has me a bit worried is wildfire risk. I had kind of made peace with it, but then USAA refused to give me a homeowners policy quote due to fire risk, and it threw up a red flag for me and had me asking myself if I was doing something stupid.

Just wondering if any goons have any experience living in the SoCal mountains anywhere, and if I’m worrying too much (or not enough).

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

gwrtheyrn posted:

Yeah there's a shitload of listings this week, really over the last 2 days, in the area I'm looking compared to well...the last 1.5 years. Hopefully a sign of things getting less lovely soon

It’s funny, the other neighborhood we’re considering, which is 15 min east, had very few listings this week but our top neighborhood ha s’more than the last 3 months combined. I think we’re putting an offer down on one home we saw, large remodeled kitchen and good backyard (backs up to a grr belt) but a small family room. However, it has 3 full bedrooms, a den/office on the main floor, and a bonus room upstairs so basically 4 bedrooms. The only issue is the bathrooms need updating/remodeling. They invested in new carpet and kindly carpeted the master bath for the next buyer to rip out.

I hate carpet in the bathroom, it’s nasty but at least it’s an easy fix.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Glumwheels posted:

They invested in new carpet and kindly carpeted the master bath

Why do people do this? Do they just hate cold floor so much they'd rather have piss soaked carpet?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

Why do people do this? Do they just hate cold floor so much they'd rather have piss soaked carpet?

I had a carpeted bathroom in one apartment in college, and after getting food poisoning and spending ~4 hours on that floor hugging the toilet I will not trust anyone who thinks anything more than a toilet rug is necessary is a good idea. :colbert:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Heck, you could even organize them for more moves, charging a modest premium for people to use the service!

Stairs Protected Insured Inc. :science:

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

hattersmad posted:

I’ve got a question that may not really fit this thread, but I couldn’t find a better place for it.

I’m very seriously considering buying a house as a primary residence in the Lake Arrowhead/Big Bear area in SoCal. The thing that has me a bit worried is wildfire risk. I had kind of made peace with it, but then USAA refused to give me a homeowners policy quote due to fire risk, and it threw up a red flag for me and had me asking myself if I was doing something stupid.

Just wondering if any goons have any experience living in the SoCal mountains anywhere, and if I’m worrying too much (or not enough).

There are many insurers that just won't touch zipcodes like that. USAA isn't alone. You can find insurance for your home, but you'll for sure need a local broker who can find the insurers willing to go in that area. You may end up needed to get a California FAIR plan for fire and a supplemental plan for everything else. It won't be as cheap as coverage in a bigger city.

In practice, unless your home is in the forest or bordering it, you're reasonably safe. CalFire will go to incredible lengths to fight wildfires that are encroaching on residences. The more houses between you and the forest (and the more expensive those houses are), the safer you are. That said, you are in more danger of wildfire in Big Bear than you are in San Bernardino, there are times when forces of nature are stronger than forces of mankind, and those times will get more common over the next 30 years.

It's not build-on-a-cliff stupid or even buy-in-a-floodplain stupid, but it is more risk than average.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Wicaeed posted:

she doesn't want to fill out a Gift Letter since everything I have read so far seems to indicate that this would mean she needs to pay taxes on that "gift" since that would imply I am not repaying it.
IANAL, but I suggest that she doesn't want to fill out a gift letter because the gift letter might hold up in court if you tried to stiff her on the back end.

The reason nobody's telling you how to do this is because it is indeed mortgage fraud, and advising people on how to commit crimes is against the forum rules.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Well gently caress. Appraisal came back $65,000 low, but the sellers don’t want to budge because their second best offer is still standing $500 below us.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

School of How posted:

Look at this home: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3-Caballito-Santa-Fe-NM-87508/249410617_zpid/

and now look at this home: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7-Caballo-Viejo-Santa-Fe-NM-87508/203222507_zpid/

They both have the exact same layout, one block apart, yet one sold 3 months ago for $574K and the other one is for sale now for $725K. My agent told me it already has one offer for $740K

Here's the thing: I have no way of knowing if that offer is real. Could it be possible that my agent is loving with me to get me to make a higher offer so she can make a higher commission? Is there any way for me to know for sure that the "other offer" is actually a legit offer?

List Date: Dec 1

You're right, only 29% higher does seem pretty low.🙂 For comparison our house just sold for 48% higher than it would have at the beginning of December. The very first house I bid on ended up going for 63% higher than an identical house sold for in late November. poo poo's crazy.

The only way to figure out what that new house is worth in our current hellscape is to completely ignore any comps put on the market before March.

eddiewalker posted:

Well gently caress. Appraisal came back $65,000 low, but the sellers don’t want to budge because their second best offer is still standing $500 below us.

gently caress, the one for our new house comes in early next week and this is my nightmare. Did they tell you which comps they used or how they came in so low?

Water Resistant fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 15, 2021

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Water Resistant posted:

gently caress, the one for our new house comes in early next week and this is my nightmare. Did they tell you which comps they used or how they came in so low?

The comps are all over a year old. Ours has private lakefront, the comp houses have no water. The appraiser only gave us $10k per acre for 3.5, but 5 acres of unimproved land just sold in the same area for 30k/acre. We also got no credit in the appraisal for the 24x50 outbuilding on a concrete pad.

My broker thinks the appraiser will just dig in his heels despite our appeal, so I guess we’re paying up. The house somehow still feels worth it, but it’s a huge punch in the gut.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

drat, that sucks. Is your loan through a local lender?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Insurrectum posted:

drat, that sucks. Is your loan through a local lender?

Local broker. The sellers have at least agreed to move back closing 2 weeks until after I sell my current house. Still sucks, but at least then I'll have my equity to pour back into the new house-shaped money pit.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

eddiewalker posted:

The comps are all over a year old. Ours has private lakefront, the comp houses have no water. The appraiser only gave us $10k per acre for 3.5, but 5 acres of unimproved land just sold in the same area for 30k/acre. We also got no credit in the appraisal for the 24x50 outbuilding on a concrete pad.

My broker thinks the appraiser will just dig in his heels despite our appeal, so I guess we’re paying up. The house somehow still feels worth it, but it’s a huge punch in the gut.

Out of curiosity what’s the zestimate lol

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

slave to my cravings posted:

Out of curiosity what’s the zestimate lol

I think Zillow adjusts their estimate in line with the asking price when a house is actively for sale.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

hattersmad posted:

We just just bought in SoCal hills/valley high fire risk zone as well. We are working on building a (more) defensible perimeter around the house (removing highly flammable trees, put in artificial turf in the back, etc,) and the municipality has stepped up with in removing and maintaining the brush surrounding the neighborhoods as well, but ultimately it's just a possible event you have to be comfortable living with. It's not like there's going to be a large deadly fire every year, but two houses (of hundreds) in our neighborhood have burned down in the past 20 years, with two large dangerous fires in the same time span; not great, but it doesn't keep me awake at night worrying. Also remember that the fire risk is not just a giant wall of flames sweeping through the area, but the embers, so even living outside, but near, the fire risk zone you are still looking at the possibility of damage. bigger consideration for me is am i comfortable with annually being inconvenienced and ready to evacuate quickly (have a go bag ready, keep car fueled, etc.), and how many exit routes do I have (more than a single exit or entrance road for us or fire trucks); more personal safety than the house.

Insurance is going to be limited and expensive for you, and be very careful about claims as you don't want to be dropped. Of the big name ones, only Farmers and State Farm would cover us. Our broker found a number of out of state and CA FAIR ones but they were significantly more expensive.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 15, 2021

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

gwrtheyrn posted:

They’re old people, OP. It’s some weird thing old people have with the bathroom and it’s somewhat common in the 90s homes we’re seeing that haven’t been updated or remodeled. Except in this one since they went through the trouble of ripping up whatever was there before they should have just installed linoleum if they wanted to be cheap and not brand new carpet.

We also saw a completely “remodeled” home that was so poorly done and listed at just under 1M. Shoddy work all around, unfinished trim, tile not installed yet or poorly installed, poor drywall work etc.I don’t know what these people were thinking but it doesn’t matter. It’s going to sell fast and for 100-200k over asking. Then someone will have to come back in and redo all the work because it’s so bad.

My favorite part of the house was the fake wainscoting. They used cheap trim to create it and just painted the bottom portion of the wall white. Then where they did the rectangular pieces on the wall they didn’t measure it right and didn’t leave enough space for the outlet covers….so they just cut the outlet covers in half and used caulk to attach them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Glumwheels posted:

They’re old people, OP. It’s some weird thing old people have with the bathroom and it’s somewhat common in the 90s homes we’re seeing that haven’t been updated or remodeled.

I'm as disgusted by carpeting in the bathroom as anybody, but I would hazard a guess that it might be popular with older folks because the bathroom is where you're most likely to slip and fall.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
No problems with closing itself, but man did the sellers not clean up. Maybe I'm way too old school, but I would be embarrassed to sell a house with a dirty toilet. The sellers were a mid 20s couple with a 10 month old, so all told the state of the place isn't too bad. I kind of expected this when we saw the uhaul out front day before closing.

So my plans are to go to home despot and get some new toilet seats. Yesterday I bleached the poo poo out of every sink, counter, and toilet. Disinfectant on every appliance and surface in the kitchen. I basically only moved over cleaning supplies.

I finally actually felt happy about the whole process right after the master bath's sinks were clean. Holy poo poo I have my own loving place and it's sweet as hell.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Toaster Beef posted:

I'm as disgusted by carpeting in the bathroom as anybody, but I would hazard a guess that it might be popular with older folks because the bathroom is where you're most likely to slip and fall.

That’s a great point, I never even considered that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

School of How posted:

It's amazing that you keep coming back to this thread.

Nobody else knows if the other offer is real of if they have to disclose/there is a method for requesting disclosure. Go find a local real estate attorney that accepts bitcoin and ask them. That's how you answer a question like this.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Motronic posted:

This would make a pretty good thread title, lol.

But yup, real estate agent wants all those bitcoins. Just hand over the nice buttcoin pouch, jingling with so much blockchain wealth :bitcoin:

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

The house we were planning to put an offer on already has 2 offers at 1.3M waving everything lmao. Not going to even bother anymore with it, Christ. What a waste of money.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Motronic posted:

Nobody else knows if the other offer is real of if they have to disclose/there is a method for requesting disclosure. Go find a local real estate attorney that accepts bitcoin and ask them. That's how you answer a question like this.

Lol

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Verman posted:

Take your budget and go into redfin/Zillow and look in the areas you want to live in. Filter by houses sold and make sure it's for 2021. Look at the sold price, then look at the asking price...

How do I compare the initial asking price to the final sold price?

All I see on these sites are the final sold price. It looks like any listing price is updated to match the sold price once the website gets wind of the sale.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
In my market Redfin has the listing and sold prices in the Sales History section.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

Verman posted:

Our corporate movers took the loving drip pan out of the stove in my apartment and packed it. Thankfully my landlord never seemed to notice or ask for it back.

They also wrapped and packed a metal mesh trash can in it's own box. Forgot all about that.

The best for us from our corporate relocation movers is that they took a gallon ziploc bag from a drawer and wrapped it in paper before packing it in a box. I was just so baffled.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

How do I compare the initial asking price to the final sold price?

All I see on these sites are the final sold price. It looks like any listing price is updated to match the sold price once the website gets wind of the sale.
Scroll down to Sales & Tax History and show full History. It'll show list price there.

BabyJebus
Jan 19, 2006
Our corporate relocation movers packed EVERYTHING. Including the keys to the rental minivan that we were driving cross country the next morning. We got them back 3 months later, they had been carefully wrapped in paper along with some smoke bombs, an altoids tin, some ticket stubs and a few other random junk drawer items.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

When they say they'll pack everything, they mean it. They packed up a trash can with trash in it, they packed up one of my wife's flip flops (not a pair....just one).

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Omne posted:

When they say they'll pack everything, they mean it. They packed up a trash can with trash in it, they packed up one of my wife's flip flops (not a pair....just one).

My friend said government/military movers are like that, too, mentioning wrapping up an ashtray, including the cigarette butts in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

My wife and I just got pre-approved. We rent now, and our lease ends at the end of September. Given the way the market is now, when should we start putting offers out on houses? I'm worried things will go very fast once we initiate but I know we'll hang to try for multiple houses, given our area (Northern Virginia) and population density.