Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Unsinkabear posted:

Yeah, there appears to be separate bicycle insurance here too, and my auto provider actually offers it. I'll see if it's worth it to add for my current bike that would be impossible to claim under my auto or renter deductibles.

Which brands and locks are the right ones?

Also, is there any vehicular scenario where I could lay two bikes inside, or is that asking for trouble? I've stacked two sturdy hybrids on top of each other in the back of a Forester before, but it still made me uncomfortable. Seemed like it would be too easy for components to get tangled up on each other and bent going in and out.

I'm about to hunt for a "new" used car and I'm trying to figure out what the best way to occasionally move two bikes around is. Big CUV? Small hatchback with a trunk rack? Say gently caress it and just slap a hitch + hitch rack on my current accord coupe? Idk.

I've carried two bikes (with front wheel off) in my prius with the back seats down. Lay a blanket between them.

I did just get a hitch + hitch rack situation installed so that I can carry more than two bikes. Not the cheapest option but it works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Sab0921 posted:

The rack brands people will recommend as the "best" are likely going to be Kuat and 1Up which are both hitch based racks. I have a Kuat rack which is what we use to transport our bikes around.

If you have an Accord coupe - you can get a trunk rack that will carry two bikes easily and also be easy to take on and off so you only use it when you're needing to transport bikes.

Legit, that's what I'm seeing most places. What about Saris? They have a trunk rack that Wirecutter likes, $209 for the two-bike model. Their recommendation did come with a warning that all trunk racks will eventually scratch, though. :ohdear:

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
The Saris Bones rack is the go-to budget option where I live. I used one for years as well. Works great. Just know that there's little to no security with them and if someone wants to get your bike off the back of one while it's unattended then it's absolutely gonna happen. I've even seen folks drive to a trailhead, pull their bike off the Saris, and then pull their Saris off the car and store it in the trunk. If you keep your eyes peeled you can find a good used Saris Bones for <$100.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

bicievino posted:

I've carried two bikes (with front wheel off) in my prius with the back seats down. Lay a blanket between them.

I did just get a hitch + hitch rack situation installed so that I can carry more than two bikes. Not the cheapest option but it works great.

Blanket is a brilliant idea, thank you for that! Surprised a Prius can take two, I'll have to add that to my list of cars to look into.

My girlfriend's bike has cantilevered brakes, and for some reason I was under the impression that popping her wheel off without loving up the brake alignment when I put it back on would be tricky, but I just watched some YouTube videos and it looks pretty straightforward.

Crumps Brother posted:

The Saris Bones rack is the go-to budget option where I live. I used one for years as well. Works great. Just know that there's little to no security with them and if someone wants to get your bike off the back of one while it's unattended then it's absolutely gonna happen. I've even seen folks drive to a trailhead, pull their bike off the Saris, and then pull their Saris off the car and store it in the trunk. If you keep your eyes peeled you can find a good used Saris Bones for <$100.

Thanks, that's good to know and I hadn't thought to shop used. How much does a model with more security run? I'm assuming that would be hitches only?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Unsinkabear posted:

My girlfriend's bike has cantilevered brakes, and for some reason I was under the impression that popping her wheel off without loving up the brake alignment when I put it back on would be tricky, but I just watched some YouTube videos and it looks pretty straightforward.

Unless the spring force in the arms is very weak, they should recenter just fine. Even if the center straddle is loose and not fixed, you should be about to dial it back (if you didn't mark the cable) in a few spins of the wheel. But of course, it's never too late to switch to V-brakes.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Blanket is a brilliant idea, thank you for that! Surprised a Prius can take two, I'll have to add that to my list of cars to look into.

Thanks, that's good to know and I hadn't thought to shop used. How much does a model with more security run? I'm assuming that would be hitches only?

The only rack I know of with any security is a hitch rack because it's made of metal and some come with locks. Trunk racks are just going to have nylon straps and plastic oversized zip ties. I have a Saris Bones and it's great for 1-2 bikes - I'm also one of the aforementioned people that puts the rack itself in the trunk at trailheads.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

On a sedan or coupe I don't mind roof racks too much, since the roof height is low enough to not be a pain in the rear end. Plus the good roof racks can all be locked both onto the cross bars and whatever mechanism holds the bike, either the fork mount or the wheel-on clamp. Still though, security is a game of just making it enough of a pain in the rear end for the would-be thief to move on. If they really want your bike they're going to get it.

I've been running some fork mount Thule Circuits on my coupe for a while and they've been pretty great, and scored them super cheap second-hand.

On my new CUV I'm going to splash for a hitch mount rack, though, probably a 1-UP.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Just buy a van.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Unsinkabear posted:

Yeah, Prius (regular, not plug-in) is surprisingly spacious. Bike carrying capacity was a key constraint for me.

Roof rack is the only other option with similar security to hitch. Usually cheaper than a hitch solution, but a bit more hassle.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Head Bee Guy posted:

The Allcity zigzag looks extremely neat. Is there anything similar for a grand cheaper?
About the closest I can think of off the top of my head.
https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/priority-apollo

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

e.pilot posted:

About the closest I can think of off the top of my head.
https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/priority-apollo

That bike is their lightest and yet weighs 24 pounds! And I thought my Jamis was heavy at 20…

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Anza Borrego posted:

That bike is their lightest and yet weighs 24 pounds! And I thought my Jamis was heavy at 20…
Not exactly the same price range, is it...

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Anza Borrego posted:

For a steel, belt drive, IGH, $1700 bike on gravel tires, 24lbs is really not bad.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

bicievino posted:

^^

A big, thick piece of cardboard is a nice divider for stacking bikes too. An old broken down bike box for example.

PuErhTeabag
Sep 2, 2018

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

The only rack I know of with any security is a hitch rack because it's made of metal and some come with locks. Trunk racks are just going to have nylon straps and plastic oversized zip ties. I have a Saris Bones and it's great for 1-2 bikes - I'm also one of the aforementioned people that puts the rack itself in the trunk at trailheads.

There's a great way to make trunk racks secure that one of my friends did.

It does require that you have a car you don't care about. You drill a hole in the trunk and install a big eye bolt that you can lock your bike to.

Your bike should be worth more than your car anyways, right?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PuErhTeabag posted:

There's a great way to make trunk racks secure that one of my friends did.

It does require that you have a car you don't care about. You drill a hole in the trunk and install a big eye bolt that you can lock your bike to.

Your bike should be worth more than your car anyways, right?

You could just loop a cable down through the frame and lock it instead of drilling a hole in the car and basically inviting rust to start there

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My shed solution is to chain the bikes together with both chain and U locks in a big lump so good luck with spending hours with an angle grinder or transporting them as one big lump.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I got one of these: https://rockymounts.com/products/monorail-2.html

It seems good. I think REI has them.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations a smartphone handlebar mount that's good for taking horizontal videos? Shopping around, the vast majority seem like they would block my camera when sideways and the rest don't seem to be good quality.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Don’t mount your phone to your handlebars, the camera mechanism isn’t built to handle that kind of vibration and it will break it eventually, whether you’re using the camera or not.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Everything for the build ordered and should be here by Tuesday, however got the BB tool and it only works if there's no bearings already pressed in so have to get another one :negative:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

e.pilot posted:

Don’t mount your phone to your handlebars, the camera mechanism isn’t built to handle that kind of vibration and it will break it eventually, whether you’re using the camera or not.

Yikes! Any goon preferred helmet mount, then?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Just get a go pro.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Just get a go pro.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

e.pilot posted:

I think this is isn't true because i've done loads of off road bike touring on rigid bikes, and ive never broken the camera, and i'll have the phone mounted on the bars 24/7.

then again a bar mounted phone would probably record terrible footage

e: also work on my bicycle deliverying food and have the phone mounted for navigation. only broke it when it fell off and i ran it over.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 16, 2021

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

You could just loop a cable down through the frame and lock it instead of drilling a hole in the car and basically inviting rust to start there

how dare you suggest drilling is not the solution here

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I didn't need the warnings about mounting a phone and I really do think my iPhones autofocus is not so great now, even though I didn't use it for too many rides

in any case, bikes are good ride bikes all the time

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Hey, so earlier I asked abuot bikes and the advice was to ask the stores what they have, so i did that for the local store - Looks like they have a specialized sirrus 1.0 for $650. Any good? They also have a sirrus 2.0X but its one size up. I'm 5'10 so large seems to be my size, for reference.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I rode my bike today.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Argona posted:

Hey, so earlier I asked abuot bikes and the advice was to ask the stores what they have, so i did that for the local store - Looks like they have a specialized sirrus 1.0 for $650. Any good? They also have a sirrus 2.0X but its one size up. I'm 5'10 so large seems to be my size, for reference.

Its a decent runabout for the money. Don't sacrifice fit for a higher spec. If theres something similar with disc brakes I'd get that over rim brakes, that's my only complaint. For 7 speed it's got some major improvements over the more budget tourney shifter brake combos and the rear derailleur is bulletproof. With the bike shortage you should jump on it if it's the only thing they have in your price range.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Argona posted:

I have no idea how the modern Sirrus compares to mine from 2015, but I loving love that thing and it has survived years of abuse from a mediocre rider with literally no maintenance.

I probably should have a shop look it over. :ohdear:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

rt4 posted:

Yikes! Any goon preferred helmet mount, then?

Don't mount things to your helmet. While a bar mount may end up breaking your phone, a helmet mount may end up breaking your brain.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Went out and did 25 easy miles on my usual trail yesterday. The Madone came with a frame integrated DuoTrap so I picked up a Garmin to be able to read it (and sync to Strava, etc). I've never done data outside of whatever my Apple Watch spits out for tracking, and drat is it nice to have a cadence sensor.

I haven't done an outdoor ride since last summer (yay COVID depression) so I know I'm way off where I was last year when I was doing 40+ mile rides, but my average speed was up 3mph and my max was up almost 5 just from being able to keep a consistent cadence. The electric shifting and better gearing helped a ton with that as well. I'm going to need to get an ANT+ HR sensor since as far as I can figure out, the Garmin can't read my watch HR in real time.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Vando posted:

Don't mount things to your helmet. While a bar mount may end up breaking your phone, a helmet mount may end up breaking your brain.

Agree with this. The thought of falling off and headbutting a tree in just the wrong way with a mount on top makes me shudder. Helmets just weren't designed for it.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Just ordered my first ''real'' bike after having tons of fun on my budget triban road racer the past two years.
A giant TCR 1 disc (ultegra). One of the last ones available at the moment in size S, goddamn the supply problems are real. Otherwise I would've gone for the 105 version, or a defy perhaps, but eh.

Gonna turn my triban into a commuting/touring bike. Gonna add a rack, flat pedals, and some semi-permanent mudguards.

CommanderApaul posted:

Went out and did 25 easy miles on my usual trail yesterday. The Madone came with a frame integrated DuoTrap so I picked up a Garmin to be able to read it (and sync to Strava, etc). I've never done data outside of whatever my Apple Watch spits out for tracking, and drat is it nice to have a cadence sensor.

I haven't done an outdoor ride since last summer (yay COVID depression) so I know I'm way off where I was last year when I was doing 40+ mile rides, but my average speed was up 3mph and my max was up almost 5 just from being able to keep a consistent cadence. The electric shifting and better gearing helped a ton with that as well. I'm going to need to get an ANT+ HR sensor since as far as I can figure out, the Garmin can't read my watch HR in real time.

I love my magene heart rate strap for the price. a third the price of a wahoo/garmin strap but works just as well. It might take a while to show up though.
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32916104775.html

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Samopsa posted:

Just ordered my first ''real'' bike after having tons of fun on my budget triban road racer the past two years.
A giant TCR 1 disc (ultegra). One of the last ones available at the moment in size S, goddamn the supply problems are real. Otherwise I would've gone for the 105 version, or a defy perhaps, but eh.

Gonna turn my triban into a commuting/touring bike. Gonna add a rack, flat pedals, and some semi-permanent mudguards.

I love my magene heart rate strap for the price. a third the price of a wahoo/garmin strap but works just as well. It might take a while to show up though.
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32916104775.html

You can get similar from Amazon for the same price on prime now. Amazon has captured the relaxed IP knockoff market space; it is a bummer because it isn’t as interesting as shopping on aliexpress.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

serious gaylord posted:

Just get a go pro.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

riding ~my bicycle~ today

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Same. Got 3 bikes and a canoe in the truck gonna go ride bikes n catch fish.

gently caress yeah it's summer time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I can’t ride on the weekend because I’m werking but I did see two out of condition fellows on expensive new road bikes and lots of Lycra layers making it up The Big Hill, which is only safe to ride on a Sunday when the quarry HGVs are parked up, and they did the cycling community proud.