Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The majority of the side quests just get a short sentence mention on the news terminals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Here are some choices that influence the rest of the games, in spoilers:

Major changes:
  • kill kaidan or ashley
  • kill or save wrex

Medium changes (mostly changes in war assets in ME3 and sometimes different people or monsters showing up):
  • kill or save council
  • udina or anderson on the council
  • spare/kill rachni queen

Minor callbacks/bonus points for the rest, like an e-mail, or a conversation option or something.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

SubponticatePoster posted:

Magimix! Pretty sure his final count (at least where the thread was concerned) was in the 20s. He'd come in every couple weeks and go "now I'm doing a playthrough with only Jack and Garrus, using the Carnifex and warp." IIRC his avatar was an obese Tali with "MY WAIFU IS FETISH EFFICIENT :3:"

And because I haven't seen this posted yet, bless Skoolmunkee and her works:
http://www.masseffectsaves.com/MESS/ME2ColoringBook.pdf
http://masseffectsaves.com/MESS/MECAB_2.pdf

That was him. 2 awesome posters. That thread was a lot of fun to follow at the time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The biggest consequences from ME1 can be determined using the motion comic thing when starting ME2, right? Everything not included there only yields minor bonuses and callbacks. The callbacks can be really entertaining if you remember them, though. It adds texture. But that's a lot of hours to dedicate to texture.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Re: Conrad in 3 - You have to do Jenna's quest in ME1 if you don't want him to die.

e: Here's the list of carryovers: https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/Save_File_Transfer#Major_Plot_Decisions

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just wish that in ME1 the rear end in a top hat dialog options weren't so often xenophobic.

My Shepard is a violent psychopath but she's not a racist.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Bongo Bill posted:

The biggest consequences from ME1 can be determined using the motion comic thing when starting ME2, right? Everything not included there only yields minor bonuses and callbacks. The callbacks can be really entertaining if you remember them, though. It adds texture. But that's a lot of hours to dedicate to texture.
Never tried the comic, but I believe so: the stuff mentioned by Mayor Dave and Samopsa concerns major plot beats, so no side-questing required for those (except perhaps for saving Wrex; I think a dialogue check can do the trick, but it's probably safest to do his personal mission).

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
One thing to be wary of in the first game is to only pick up licenses for the good stuff - it increases your chance of the Normandy vendor having stuff you actually want as opposed to trash from companies you don't want. That said, you need the Elkoss Combine one for the ridiculous Conrad quest in ME3, if anyone plans to bother with it. And Aldrin Labs if you're an insane RP person who insists on keeping Shep in N7 armour no matter what instead of the clownsuits some of the better sets appear as.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Inzombiac posted:

I just wish that in ME1 the rear end in a top hat dialog options weren't so often xenophobic.

Same, it can be fun playing Commander Shepard: Space rear end in a top hat, but the "humanity uber alles" angle gets pretty obnoxious. Especially in ME1 since you have to go all-in with it to keep building those renegade points. I'd usually just give myself a bunch of renegade points with the console menu so I could take the fun options without having to constantly go "no, mr. alien, please don't do this incredibly useful thing for me, I must spit in your face for the honor of La Terra".

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

But, sometimes if a bear is chasing you, what can you really do?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Holy poo poo, the dedicated melee button in ME1 trivialises The Thorian. I always got a little overwhelmed with all the Creepers in the original version but in this you can just whack them in the face to knock them down and get some breathing room.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thom12255 posted:

The majority of the side quests just get a short sentence mention on the news terminals.

What sometimes happens is that a later-game sidequest will tie in to an early one in some way, but if you never did that early sidequest the later one still happens, it just doesn't have the connection to the thing you did in the first game anymore.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Whoo boy ME1 is still pretty janky. Also count me in the group that keeps throwing grenades because I want to reload.

I thought about doing all the sidequests to carry over, but I think I'd rather just rush through this to get to ME2. So sorry, Mako explorations, but you're gonna have to not be done. And man, all this trash loot.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

pentyne posted:

But, sometimes if a bear is chasing you, what can you really do?

The hilarious part when she says that is I always think "Nah, I'd rather fight a bear off than sacrifice my dog"

Also for those weirdos who play soldiers/infiltrators - Have assault rifles and snipers always had different firing patterns and I just never noticed? I'm using mainly sniper rifles and they all control pretty differently.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Whoo boy ME1 is still pretty janky. Also count me in the group that keeps throwing grenades because I want to reload.

I thought about doing all the sidequests to carry over, but I think I'd rather just rush through this to get to ME2. So sorry, Mako explorations, but you're gonna have to not be done. And man, all this trash loot.

I think I’ve only ever used a grenade by accident instinctively trying to reload. I never remember them otherwise - besides, the powers are more fun to use.

I’m gonna suffer through it all but am also looking forward to moving onto the games that play well.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I rebound grenades and healing gel to mouse button 5 and 4 because it feels strange to reach for the G and V keys.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So I'm tracking two major PC-based bugs that a lot of folks have been complaining about - negative mouse acceleration and surround sound. Others have been complaining about the FOV, but there are already FOV fixes out there that seem to be reliable (even by pubbie standards!).

The link here seems to have fixed my mouse acceleration issues: https://steamsplay.com/mass-effect-legendary-edition-how-to-fix-mouse-acceleration-in-mass-effect-1/. Looks like dumping that provided dinput8.dll into Mass Effect Legendary Edition\Game\ME1\Binaries\Win64 fixed things enough to where it handles to me like any other game. What's weird is that I tried removing the file to confirm that it fixed the problem, but everything still feels fine. Hard to know what's placebo and what isn't with all these user-made fixes from previous ports flying around and working/not working.

On the other hand, I still haven't figured out a Surround Sound fix (for onboard audio). I have a 5.1 setup and the best fix I've found so far gave me 4.1 audio with the center satellite not doing anything.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nuclear War posted:

This is a genuine question/thread, I am legitimately concerned about preserving the games as they were originally created since this was supposed to be a remaster, not a remake or reboot.

If you find any content from the original game rewritten, revoiced, reframed, reedited, rearranged, censored, missing or otherwise changed...

Please inform us by posting a reply here. After the obvious Miranda-booty-gate, I will not support this game financially until I am sure they didn't suddenly change parts of the three games for woke brownie points. This post is NOT about camera shots of Miranda's lower back, I am asking if there is anything else that they changed.

I was disappointed to find out they didn't rewrite the ending of Mass Effect 3. That would be a net positive for the game, but they chose to not pursue that, likely for financial (effort) reasons. So no, I am not against ALL changes, I am against censorship mostly.
If they were to change a single thing about the original games, I would pick they ONLY change the ending of Mass Effect 3, and nothing else. Because the ending of ME3 was the weakest part of the trilogy and it's really the only part that people ever wanted them to change.
That's neither here nor there, though. They didn't do it, they said it's just a remaster - but is it?

If you see anything please do let me (and other interested people) know, so we can decide if it's a dealbreaker for us or not. Thank you so much!

To the trolls: I understand that some people are really happy that their favourite franchise is now back with a bit better graphics and UI improvements. I'm happy too, just not enough to forget my dignity, but it's a subjective thing. If you don't care about rewriting storylines or retroactive censorship, then you can safely ignore this thread.

In my country, $60 is a lot of money. I don't want to spend that on something I won't love.

Thanks

:yikes:

nine-gear crow posted:

Also I hope everyone who wanted/needed ME2ReCalibrated and ME3ReCalibrated have downloaded and saved them because their author just pulled them down from the Nexus in protest of its policy towards mod ports to Legendary Edition.

Thankfully, ME3ReCalibrated has more or less been fully superseded newer and better mods, but a lot of ME2ReCalibrated's changes/fixes were proprietary to its mod, so... gently caress. Hopefully some enterprising soul is able to recreate them for Legendary Edition/OG ME2 because ME2Re is an incredible quality of life improvement for the game.

I was considering trying "Back Off" myself, but I guess not now. :v:

(seriously, all I ever wanted to be able to do was clear up my relationship (ended) status with Kaidan in ME3 instead of being weird about it.)

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 15, 2021

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

DourCricket posted:

Also for those weirdos who play soldiers/infiltrators - Have assault rifles and snipers always had different firing patterns and I just never noticed? I'm using mainly sniper rifles and they all control pretty differently.

Certain types doing burst fire was definitely not a thing before, that's one of the more surprising things they changed.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DourCricket posted:

The hilarious part when she says that is I always think "Nah, I'd rather fight a bear off than sacrifice my dog"

In 2 and 3, yes, but not in the first game, that's a LE change. They might have had slightly different rates of fire but there were no semi-auto ARs, for example.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

DourCricket posted:

Apparently all the guns are different now. Pistols are semi auto and burst fire (at least I haven't found one yet that is just hold butan to shoot), and one of the sniper rifles I picked up is a burst fire.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Thanks y'all. I've beaten ME1 many times but I always just use shotguns.

The combat isnt leaps better but with the gun changes + cover not being complete jank I'd feel better about recommending ME1 without caveats.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Did they just yank the Spectre weapons by mistake along with the 1 million credit achievement? Can't buy them anywhere now, right as I got enough cash too.

Though in better news, thanks to the folks who mentioned you could change back to the classic Mako controls. Just killed a thresher maw without a scratch on it, which was a hell of a :black101: moment.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Apparently all the guns are different now. Pistols are semi auto and burst fire (at least I haven't found one yet that is just hold butan to shoot), and one of the sniper rifles I picked up is a burst fire.

There's a Thunder (if memory serves) assault rifle that's a single shot heavy hitter like the Mattock in ME2 I found in the first game. Pretty deadly, especially with Putin-approved polonium ammo in the thing, though I miss the rapid fire for some reason despite running the Mattock on my soldier in ME2 all the time way back when.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Really dumb question perhaps, but playing ME1 with a controller for the first time, is there a way I'm not seeing to customize your weapons/armor? If I grab the mouse then I can select them and equip mods to them, but with just the controller I can't figure out what button (combination of buttons?) I need to push to do that. I looked at the controller binding menu and it only gives Mouse/Keyboard bindings as far as I can see?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

:yikes:

I was considering trying "Back Off" myself, but I guess not now. :v:

(seriously, all I ever wanted to be able to do was clear up my relationship (ended) status with Kaidan in ME3 instead of being weird about it.)

At the very least, two brand new mods have come along to replace most of what ME2Re used to do: Early Recruitment and Project Variety for ME2. Hopefully someone will come up with a mod that replaces Back Off eventually too.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Is there a roundup of “medium-depth” ME 1 tips anywhere? I’m looking to refresh myself on how things like the economy and inventory/equipment works, or if I gotta pay attention to biotic combos, and everything I’m finding is just copy/pastes of the starting class and origin definitions

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If you close a door on yourself in 1 and get stuck in it/unable to open the door. Use med gel and Shepard will fall out of the door.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

MadDogMike posted:

Did they just yank the Spectre weapons by mistake along with the 1 million credit achievement? Can't buy them anywhere now, right as I got enough cash too.

Though in better news, thanks to the folks who mentioned you could change back to the classic Mako controls. Just killed a thresher maw without a scratch on it, which was a hell of a :black101: moment.

There's a Thunder (if memory serves) assault rifle that's a single shot heavy hitter like the Mattock in ME2 I found in the first game. Pretty deadly, especially with Putin-approved polonium ammo in the thing, though I miss the rapid fire for some reason despite running the Mattock on my soldier in ME2 all the time way back when.

I got the license per usual and I can buy them on the Normandy and at the csec guy

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The bug in the cerebus mission in 1 that makes it unable to be completed is still in the game.
https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/UNC:_Cerberus

I just ran into it.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

King Bahamut posted:

Is there a roundup of “medium-depth” ME 1 tips anywhere? I’m looking to refresh myself on how things like the economy and inventory/equipment works, or if I gotta pay attention to biotic combos, and everything I’m finding is just copy/pastes of the starting class and origin definitions

Not that I'm aware of - post your questions here though and I'm sure one of us can answer.

Jerusalem posted:

Really dumb question perhaps, but playing ME1 with a controller for the first time, is there a way I'm not seeing to customize your weapons/armor? If I grab the mouse then I can select them and equip mods to them, but with just the controller I can't figure out what button (combination of buttons?) I need to push to do that. I looked at the controller binding menu and it only gives Mouse/Keyboard bindings as far as I can see?

X/Square button while you're 'selecting' them in the list

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Mayor Dave posted:

I got the license per usual and I can buy them on the Normandy and at the csec guy

There's not usually a license for Spectre weapons. Also, did you get the 1 million credits before today? I saw them (for more money than I could spend) on the Normandy store and C-Sec up to yesterday, log in today and they're all gone and didn't reappear even after I made it to 1 million credits. I'm seeing a bunch of people apparently having similar issues now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DourCricket posted:

X/Square button while you're 'selecting' them in the list

Fantastic, thanks!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mayor Dave posted:

The Mark X ones though or just the VII?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Android Blues posted:

Magimix was a nice dude. Really gregarious posting energy.

in their own way, magimix, general fai, skoolmunkee, count chocolitis, sombrerotron, annakie, queen caucus, aristobulus, haledjian, et al all made that old me2 a fun read back in the day :allears:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I just did UNC Cerberus twice and can't avoid the bug that prevents completion. What am I doing wrong? Each time at the end of the third base, Kaiden mentions Kahoku and there is one more stop. I can't get Kahoku to show up/his body to drop.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 16, 2021

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Apologies for not going back over 110 pages, but I had some questions about the remaster

I heard that basically all the DLC for all three games is included in this release. Does that include the pre-order stuff like the singularity gun and the Dragon Age armor?

Does this fix/re-enable the missing content like the Mordin/Wrex confrontation conversation that was cut from 2?

Were the triggers for things like Conrad corrected so they actually reflect the options you chose? IIRC, in ME2 he was bugged to always treat you as hostile, even if you were nice to him in ME1.

I heard that some of the checks for paragon/renegade were lowered a little bit to make it just a smidge easier to pass, so you don't have to be at 100% for some of the tougher ones. Confirm/deny?

It's been a long time since I played ME1, but I seem to recall that certain weapon types were restricted by class, but that was not the case in ME2. Did I hear right that the remaster now allows you to use any weapon in ME1, but if you are not specialized in that class, there will be a penalty, like the reticle is larger to reflect lack of precision? Or would it be smaller meaning you have to be more precise with an unfamiliar weapon?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CzarChasm posted:

It's been a long time since I played ME1, but I seem to recall that certain weapon types were restricted by class, but that was not the case in ME2. Did I hear right that the remaster now allows you to use any weapon in ME1, but if you are not specialized in that class, there will be a penalty, like the reticle is larger to reflect lack of precision? Or would it be smaller meaning you have to be more precise with an unfamiliar weapon?

Dunno about your other questions since I'm still working my way through 1, but: as far as I can tell there's no penalty to using "off-spec" weapons now. You could always technically use any of the weapons, but they were so inaccurate as to be functionally worthless. Now the only thing you're missing is the talent that increases damage and accuracy and gives you that weapon's active skill like Marksmanship or Assassination. But they're absolutely usable, I just did Feros with my Infiltrator spec and the shotgun was super useful dealing with the hordes of Thorian creepers at the end. And most of the time the assault rifle is my go-to general purpose murder machine.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

Apologies for not going back over 110 pages, but I had some questions about the remaster

I heard that basically all the DLC for all three games is included in this release. Does that include the pre-order stuff like the singularity gun and the Dragon Age armor?

Does this fix/re-enable the missing content like the Mordin/Wrex confrontation conversation that was cut from 2?

Were the triggers for things like Conrad corrected so they actually reflect the options you chose? IIRC, in ME2 he was bugged to always treat you as hostile, even if you were nice to him in ME1.

I heard that some of the checks for paragon/renegade were lowered a little bit to make it just a smidge easier to pass, so you don't have to be at 100% for some of the tougher ones. Confirm/deny?

I believe it's all DLC except Pinnacle, with those weapons/armors being integrated into the game instead of getting them upfront.

I'm not sure if they got them all, but yes they did a lot of work fixing bugged content/triggers. And yes, Renegade/Paragon were adjusted.

The opposite, that used to be the case (the larger reticle/drift) but now all weapons are perfectly useable from the start and the weapon trees are just bonuses instead of necessary. They've also made each model of weapon have different characteristics so that say two assault rifles feel different instead of only differing in stats.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

There's a bunch here and I'm on my phone so short answers

-All DLC, except Pinnacle Station are now in the game, even special stuff. Everything also is now more "baked in" rather than just popping in when you first get on your ship to feel more organic. No firm guides on where everything is yet though.

-As far as I'm aware, no "cut content" was finished and put in. That was past the scope of the remaster.

-I believe this was, however that bug with Conrad was worked into his story in 3.

-In 2 the alignment checks have been made easier

-In ME1 all classes can now use all weapons without penalty. However you still will not have the ability trees for each weapon, meaning you miss their special abilities and passive bonuses. I'm about halfway through a completion run on an Adept and I mainly use AR and snipers - they function perfectly well for me.

Hope this helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Zeron posted:

They've also made each model of weapon have different characteristics so that say two assault rifles feel different instead of only differing in stats.

One thing to note with this is that there's no indication of a weapon's behavior until you actually shoot it, so give any new guns you equip a test shoot before you get into combat. Otherwise you might find your sniper rifle is one of the terrible burst-fire models that gently pelts an enemy with a series of gentle taps, rather than smiting them to the ground in a single shot like the fist of God as a proper sniper rifle should.