Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Asproigerosis posted:

.... this is an entirely appropriate point. Testing asymptomatic people when there is no reasonable suspicion of infection for shits and giggles is a waste of resources. You don't do whole body CT scans "just to be safe".

That's reserved for ED and hospitalists :rimshot:

what if parents want to know if they should isolate from their kids, that kinda thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
If yall really think it's perfectly reasonable to have daily covid tests despite no reason to suspect infection, you really need therapy.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Asproigerosis posted:

If yall really think it's perfectly reasonable to have daily covid tests despite no reason to suspect infection, you really need therapy.

uiuc is still doing it. i think their setup is actually preferable - my friend works on campus and has been told starting soon, he won't have to wear a mask since he's vaccinated, neither will anyone else in his situation . but they'll still be testing the whole population constantly to monitor if an outbreak is happening, and it's good to know for him since he can go see our friends there without worrying about infecting their kids

i think i'd rather have constant, 2-3 times weekly testing of a whole population than mask wearing

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Without surveillance testing well finally be able to confirm that 100% of spread happens in the home, the unsafest place possible

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jon Irenicus posted:

lmao of course women can be chuds. chud is a mindset, a series of behaviors, an outlook on others. gently caress you got mine. authoritarian brain. strong daddy worship. desire to trigger the libs.

i appreciate you being the only one to answer this, and concede you're right, but only on the 'desire to trigger the libs' plank. the fygm, authoritarian, strong daddy worship is very clearly something on both sides of the aisle

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Thoguh posted:

Without surveillance testing well finally be able to confirm that 100% of spread happens in the home, the unsafest place possible
edit i was wrong about playgrounds/beaches, they finally got reopened beginning of march in chicago .

chicago still won't allow big outdoor events, even though masks aren't needed anymore. incredible

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
You can't use testing as a preventative measure, you start spreading before you test positive.

We need those reagents for more important tasks, such as drug testing for welfare recipients.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

as a broke brain who has used a jacket sleeve/elbow/anything-but-hand to open public door handles for years pre-pandemic, holy poo poo i need to get me one of these

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Same. Where do I get this

Oddly enough, I saw them in the Dollar Store this morning.

No wide mouth mason lids though. I'd like to know the details on what hosed up the distribution system bad enough that there hasn't been any on the shelves for months. Hard to be a bunker hermit when you can't can your asparagus.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Sorry we have to use the mason jars to collect samples for the hourly covid tests. It's the only way to stay safe from covid, if you're not testing 24/7 it could sneak up on you and get you.

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

a good thread explaining why these early studies on breakthroughs don't indicate efficacy

https://twitter.com/dgurdasani1/status/1393642949016236034

quote:

These data are not published, yet but lets say this is true. The key point here is 3,235 healthcare workers *were not* all exposed to virus- for *illustrative* purposes let's consider 5% were exposed to SARS-CoV-2 during the study period - that is ~150 HCWs.

How many HCWs would we expect to develop symptomatic disease or die among these? At an avg age of 40, and an IFR of 0.08%, we'd expect ~75 symptomatic infections(2.5%) & *no deaths* - which is almost exactly what we see here. Does this tell us anything about vaccine efficacy? No

So in this scenario of *no vaccine protection*, we see 98.5% HCWs not infected, and no deaths... but this sounds good doesn't it? This is why we need a control group, Without knowing what happens in the counterfactual scenario without vaccination, we just don't know.

This is illustrative, as I have no idea what the exposure level is among HCWs - but clearly neither do the study investigators, or those reading this, as this isn't really easy to determine without a control group.

I know it's tempting to look at studies like this- (that haven't even been published as a preprint), and come to optimistic conclusions about vaccination- but unfortunately these studies don't tell us anything useful about efficacy. And it's important to acknowledge that.

The claim is "Our study demonstrated that 97.38 per cent of those vaccinated were protected from an infection and hospitalisation rate was only 0.06 per cent" Does it show 97.38% were protected - no it doesn't, because *not all of them were exposed*.

So let's not conflate breakthrough with efficacy, because breakthrough tells us nothing about this- because one key parameter is missing here- *exposure*. To adjust for this, we require a control group.

Please do get vaccinated if you have access. But also, please please continue taking precautions even if you have been vaccinated, to protect yourself and others. It's important to be cautious during this period of uncertainty.

Link to article here: Hospitalisation chances after Covid vaccination are 0.06%: Apollo Hospital study

The problem is the claim made that 97% of those vaccinated were 'protected' against infection. We don't know 97% were protected (assumes 100% exposure)- & this is what it's misleading to claim as the math above shows. This isn't a personal attack - it is an evidenced correction.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

mastershakeman posted:

what if parents want to know if they should isolate from their kids, that kinda thing

Don't do things that put you at risk for infection like getting those margoritos at applebees. Wear the elastomer. Can't get infected if you ppe properly in any situation that could risk the infection.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

Sorry we have to use the mason jars to collect samples for the hourly covid tests. It's the only way to stay safe from covid, if you're not testing 24/7 it could sneak up on you and get you.

you feeling ok buddy? you've been really grunting & squeezing hard to poo poo out some posts this morning.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Rah! posted:

fixed that for you lol

the one exception is that chud governor who body slammed that reporter nerd lmao

That was Montana and that pos governor cut off everyone's unemployment stimulus.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Wrex Ruckus posted:

not a whole lot of chuds in the computer touching factories

if only

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

mastershakeman posted:

the definition of chud is a non black person without a college degree who doesn't work in a 'knowledge profession'. so by definition computer touchers cant be chuds

that's a weird definition
also there are tons of old computer touchers without degrees

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wrex Ruckus posted:

lol

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Raiad posted:

my sister is an adult with special needs, and to be honest, people like her being casually triaged as being less worth saving was not really any more comforting for the fact that they didn't use "retard" when doing it

that sucks incredibly hard and i'm sorry she and you had to experience that

Delta-Wye posted:

i have found it is much easier to get consensus that being openly atrocious is bad.

it would be delightful if that consensus existed

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Wrex Ruckus posted:

:wow:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I passed by a Trader Joe's in East King County WA and there's about 40 angry Karens with signs outside protesting. I took pics, will upload later

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
im a chud now. it actyually owns. its like, be free bro, own the libs .. gently caress it! live ur best life.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
like all these goons have a chip on they shoulder. ewww the chuds theyre so icky. thats envy. they hate them because they want to be them. roll coal, fly a trump flag, litter. boom. feels good man

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I just wanna grill

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vox Nihili posted:

I just wanna grill

I just want to own a strip club, it will be the best in the tristate

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Iron Crowned posted:

did you finally go back?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Jon Irenicus posted:

did you finally go back?

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm sorry guys, this is all my fault, I went to the strip club yesterday.

forget the stupid groundhog, CDC wisely observes Iron Crowned's head poking out of his apartment to survey the situation and then them scurrying into a strip club, and can clearly declare covid is over (SAFELY)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Iron Crowned posted:

being a venue operator is no small task my friend, but i believe in you. if you need a production manager or general manager let me know. my salary requirements are very reasonable

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Thoguh posted:

The CDC is following the guidance of the tenth dentist.

https://twitter.com/NYTHealth/status/1393195083806150662?s=19

Pffft. Epidemiologists. What do they know, anyway?

We've had enough of experts.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Smythe posted:

like all these goons have a chip on they shoulder. ewww the chuds theyre so icky. thats envy. they hate them because they want to be them. roll coal, fly a trump flag, litter. boom. feels good man

:911:

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

joe biden do a flint water stunt by going maskless in india

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

heard we beat covid and everything is good now is that right

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Cool, had a guy try to pick a fight with me because I told him and his group of 8 friends that if none of them were wearing masks they could just wait 20 seconds for the next elevator instead of getting in the one I was in.

This country is going to get really fun in the next few weeks.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Cool, had a guy try to pick a fight with me because I told him and his group of 8 friends that if none of them were wearing masks they could just wait 20 seconds for the next elevator instead of getting in the one I was in.

This country is going to get really fun in the next few weeks.

I was saying when the news came out that I was worried about getting harassed or assaulted or whatever for continuing to wear a mask, and I'm pretty sure some people thought I was crazy

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i chuckled to myself alone at night when i read this

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Zisky posted:

Lmao Trader Joe's just took down the update.

coward joes

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I was saying when the news came out that I was worried about getting harassed or assaulted or whatever for continuing to wear a mask, and I'm pretty sure some people thought I was crazy

And this is with my building saying masks are still mandatory. I'm just going to resort to saying "You don't want to get in the elevator with me. I'm contagious, and it's not covid."

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Xaris posted:

yospos is full of libs

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Impkins Patootie posted:

the teeth falling out guy had me so nervous they sure got me

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The Oldest Man posted:

That 10 year old black kid who doesn't have limbs anymore deserved it, folks, you hate to see it but he did it to himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/1393389984959410182?s=19