Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

Barry Foster posted:

:sickos:

Of course it's Liverpool
once again proud to be a scouser, me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

The Question IRL posted:

So remember those two guys held in Glasgow?

Looks like they were legally entitled to be in the country.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/immigration-raid-home-office-glasgow-b1848079.html

Might be a case for unlawful imprisonment. As well as Defamation of their character.

I really hope they're able to successfully bring an action. The Home Office gets away with far too much of this clearly unlawful bullshit.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

How do people get rid of ants? We have ants in the kitchen and my bedroom, all the food is stored in the kitchen with nothing left out etc., but the buggers don't seem to want to quit. They especially love my herbal tea I have when it's too late for normal tea, must be the jasmine smell or something.

I saw these ant poison traps on Amazon but I'm not sure if it's the right way to go. A bit scared the poison will get left around and a cat will eat it or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can use diatomaceous earth which as far as I know is entirely safe for human and animal consumption but highly dangerous to chitinous insects because of its physical structure.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Ive heard that rats eat a lot of ants when they are available, might be something worth looking into.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Private Speech posted:

How do people get rid of ants? We have ants in the kitchen and my bedroom, all the food is stored in the kitchen with nothing left out etc., but the buggers don't seem to want to quit. They especially love my herbal tea I have when it's too late for normal tea, must be the jasmine smell or something.

I saw these ant poison traps on Amazon but I'm not sure if it's the right way to go. A bit scared the poison will get left around and a cat will eat it or something.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

In my experience, Yes.

So how much should they get paid then, based on your experience? People are always saying that job X is paid too much but never put a number on what it should be.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Private Speech posted:

I've stopped bothering, mostly just keeping clean to give them less food, and after around midsummer the ants disappear for some reason, every year it happens. So I guess they'll just be around for the first half of summer.

We don't have a lot of them though, and generally only see them in the kitchen. If we had more we'd probably do something about it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

You can use diatomaceous earth which as far as I know is entirely safe for human and animal consumption but highly dangerous to chitinous insects because of its physical structure.

This works, or if you want to kill them then ant powder with pyrethrum in it will do that, but it's also toxic so not ideal around food areas though not 'that' dangerous to humans.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

As a heavy sleeper I was fine with the mice. It was when one of them was sat on top of my slippers and looking very sad that... well it's hard to want to see them hurt.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
If you are going to use poison, it's a good idea to secure it so that the mice and rats don't drag it away somewhere that non-target animals such as pets can get to it. Use blocks rather than grain, as mice will drag the grain away and hoard it. The wax blocks with a hole through the middle are great, as you can nail them to a block of wood, or tie them down with wire. Also, it might be worth keeping a bait station permanently stocked and checking on it regularly, even once the obvious infestation is gone.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Massive protests in London today accompanied by pages of chat about humanely killing rats and mice. Never change.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Aramoro posted:

So how much should they get paid then, based on your experience? People are always saying that job X is paid too much but never put a number on what it should be.

I think this goes back to the same thing as doctor-pay-chat, except charity CEO David Miliband arouses less sympathy than future (?) consultant jabby.

£80,000 a year is a lot of money relative to the (checks notes) 95% of people who earn less than that, and especially the 77% who earn less than half that. But relative to how much things cost, especially houses, it's not stupid money - it's around 1/3 of the average house price, which is a sensible multiple in a non-crazy system (which sadly we don't have).

So let's ask the wider question - let's say we can arrest the ridiculous growth in nominal house prices, but not bring them down. How much should a nurse/computer toucher/tube driver/supermarket worker etc be getting paid, in order to live a comfortable life in this country, and have nice things? Maybe even to live on one income (equivalent*)? I think that would be quite a high number compared to today's reality.

And if we have to operate within the current system (rather than luxury island communism), then a maximum wage (or technically maximum yearly income before the 100% tax kicks in) should probably be part of that.

*equivalent, as in, not "father puts on his hat and goes to the office, mother bakes cakes and looks after the children", but maybe half-time each being enough to support a family.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Does thread know anything about these folks? https://www.labour-in-exile.org/about/

A real-life acquaintance (communist politics but not a goon afaik) linked me to them and I hadn't seen them before and they seem pretty good for anyone who hasn't altogether given up on the Labour Party yet.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

stev posted:

Massive protests in London today accompanied by pages of chat about humanely killing rats and mice. Never change.

who the gently caress cares

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Make sure to get the 'food grade' type.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Regarde Aduck posted:

who the gently caress cares

I do. Don't use glue traps on living creatures you loving barbarian shites.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bobstar posted:

I think this goes back to the same thing as doctor-pay-chat, except charity CEO David Miliband arouses less sympathy than future (?) consultant jabby.

£80,000 a year is a lot of money relative to the (checks notes) 95% of people who earn less than that, and especially the 77% who earn less than half that. But relative to how much things cost, especially houses, it's not stupid money - it's around 1/3 of the average house price, which is a sensible multiple in a non-crazy system (which sadly we don't have).

So let's ask the wider question - let's say we can arrest the ridiculous growth in nominal house prices, but not bring them down. How much should a nurse/computer toucher/tube driver/supermarket worker etc be getting paid, in order to live a comfortable life in this country, and have nice things? Maybe even to live on one income (equivalent*)? I think that would be quite a high number compared to today's reality.

And if we have to operate within the current system (rather than luxury island communism), then a maximum wage (or technically maximum yearly income before the 100% tax kicks in) should probably be part of that.

*equivalent, as in, not "father puts on his hat and goes to the office, mother bakes cakes and looks after the children", but maybe half-time each being enough to support a family.

I think this is why I find this such an interesting question, how do we value people's work within our current system. Tube drivers get base salary of £55K which puts them well up on the top percentages of earners but I don't think many folk here would argue with that salary for them. So if a tube driver is worth £55K is someone in charge or organising tube drivers worth more than £55K a year?

The main problem is as you describe, the increasing cost of living means the private sector will keep driving wages up which the public and voluntary sector have to follow really. I have long argued for higher tax rates, and luckily living in Scotland we even have them, but where do we put them is pretty hard to answer I think.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Anteaters appear to be legal to own without a license (not the giant ones, though)
Although you'd have to pick the right species that actually eats ants, rather than I dunno, termites or something

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 15, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Aramoro posted:

So if a tube driver is worth £55K is someone in charge or organising tube drivers worth more than £55K a year?

Do football managers get paid more than the players?

Maybe we could cut the base salary of tube drivers but allow them to retain their own image rights and cut private sponsorship deals

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Always had a soft spot for giant anteaters. They're so bizarre, and yet so majestic.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This is a very cute dog.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Private Speech posted:

How do people get rid of ants?
Nippon ant killer liquid is very effective but also slightly messed up in terms of how it deals with the problem. It's a very sugary liquid that also has a substance in it that fucks up the entire nest, so when the scouts / workers pick it up and take it back, any new ants that feed on it grow up deformed.

So on the first day you get the same amount of ants, second day you probably get more because they've found a good sugar source, the third day less so, and then from the fourth day onward you get a few stragglers that get smaller and more deformed, and then they're gone because you genocided the nest.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Do football managers get paid more than the players?

Maybe we could cut the base salary of tube drivers but allow them to retain their own image rights and cut private sponsorship deals

I was interested so I looked up some*, Pep Guardiola earns more than all but 2 of his players, he gets as much as the bottom 10 combines almost. Frank Lampard is about the middle of the pack at Chelsea so I'd say it varies. Not sure football is the best example here though as Man City's top player earns 25 times as much as their bottom player and I dont think any Tube Driver is earning 25 times more than any other one.

*I just looked up the first 2 teams I thought of, not idea if this is representative or not.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 15, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Nippon ant killer liquid is very effective but also slightly messed up in terms of how it deals with the problem. It's a very sugary liquid that also has a substance in it that fucks up the entire nest, so when the scouts / workers pick it up and take it back, any new ants that feed on it grow up deformed.

So on the first day you get the same amount of ants, second day you probably get more because they've found a good sugar source, the third day less so, and then from the fourth day onward you get a few stragglers that get smaller and more deformed, and then they're gone because you genocided the nest.

Hi, I'm Ender Wiggin and I'm here to tell you about NEW Nippon Ant Killer Liquid

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bottom three tube drivers each year get relegated to I dunno driving the Scarborough train.

Top three get to do the funicular railway in the South of France on the weekends.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Nonsense posted:

This is a very cute dog.

what kind dog that is, pls?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

crispix posted:

what kind dog that is, pls?

a borzoi

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Aramoro posted:

Are most Charity CEO's unsuited to the task?

Gonzo McFee posted:

In my experience, Yes.

didn't know you were a charity CEO :laugh:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

stev posted:

If you want the thread to talk about something you could just start posting about it, rather than passively aggressively bemoan that everyone else isn't talking about it.

Aramoro posted:

So if a tube driver is worth £55K is someone in charge or organising tube drivers worth more than £55K a year?

No, a tube driver is a skilled position while a manager is doing a job a monkey like me could do.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i reckon i could drive a tube

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Ants: Sprinkle ant powder (should be available in any supermarket) all around the outside walls of your house. It both poisons and repels them, and if they're particularly persistent, it will show you where they're getting into your house and you can plug it up. If it's a vent brick or similar don't worry - plug it up for the summer and they'll forget it's there and go find somewhere else, just remember to unplug it come autumn.

Gaza protests: Had a peculiar interaction with some people coming away from there. I was volunteering at the Science Museum vaccination centre (quick review - somehow the slowest centre I've worked at despite being the most stupidly overstaffed, also forced people to queue in the pissing rain for literally no reason).

Anyway while having a crafty fag I was pretty much accused of organising the engineering works that closed South Kensington station just to inconvenience people who had been at the Gaza march. Now as members of this thread know, I have a great deal of arcane knowledge, but even I wouldn't pretend to have known that all this was going to kick off six months ago when the signal works on the crossover at Earls Court and the escalator replacement on the Piccadilly Line was due.

(One thing my arcane knowledge *does* know is that South Ken isn't the closest station to any point of the march, and the woman who made this accusation had in fact gone in exactly the opposite direction from the march than she should have to get the Central Line, but it would have been churlish of me to point this out as she was actually quite grateful for me giving her directions to Gloucester Road)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The Question IRL posted:

So remember those two guys held in Glasgow?

Looks like they were legally entitled to be in the country.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/immigration-raid-home-office-glasgow-b1848079.html

Might be a case for unlawful imprisonment. As well as Defamation of their character.

I don't really get that from the article:

quote:

Director Robina Qureshi said: “The Home Office have referred to these men as illegal. Well they are wrong, and we are now investigating legal action against the Home Office for casting such aspersions.
“The term ‘illegal’ in this context is part of the hostile environment. It’s not appropriate to use it for people who have lived in the UK for several years and are part of a community.”

That strikes me as more of a defamation or human rights claim along the notion that referring to people as "illegal immigrants" is inherently dehumanising and alienating. Which I agree with, but otherwise that would be a really circuitous way to say that they're legally entitled to be in the country vs just saying exactly that.

Legal or not, of course, the home office should get hosed.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I'm gonna enjoy watching as the home office blender starts to run afoul of sympathetic middle class Europeans with the resources to do things like sue them for being malicious and incompetent instead of their usual victims who don't have that capacity.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Saros posted:

I'm gonna enjoy watching as the home office blender starts to run afoul of sympathetic middle class Europeans with the resources to do things like sue them for being malicious and incompetent instead of their usual victims who don't have that capacity.

They're still handling them with kids gloves (excepting criminals but they've always been getting locked up in immigration detention), which in this case means a couple nights in extra bad prison as opposed to couple months in the same. Which is still very much "gently caress this and gently caress everyone who ever suggested I try and move to the UK" but it doesn't quite have the life-destroying effects of the former.

Even so there's apparently been a constant procession of European diplomats in the detention centres, which is something that wasn't the case before.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1393686216474861569

greens just tripled their vote share.

time for labour to move right.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Less

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

stop being so obsessed with money you big capitalist bastard

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Lot of “working toward the Fuhrer” in that article. The HO is so loving weird and horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/PerthshireMags/status/1393315286225391616