Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

I could copy paste everything you said about the Miata to my first car, a red 85 AW11.

gently caress I miss that MR2.

They come up on bringatrailer sometimes if you have 10-20k to spend. That's close to 10x more than the one I had cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I dearly miss my 95 NA, it was a true gem of a car. Just pure, concentrated joy that rewards all the senses.

In a lot of ways it was similar to riding a sporty motorcycle in the way that it fully engages you in all the mechanical and open environment sensations, but also a lot chiller since it can't fall over and you don't have to armor up to drive.

As much as I regret selling it, there was just no way I could keep using it as my only car and it was unrealistic for me to have two cars until very recently. Now I am starting to think an ND sounds fun as a second car...

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

kill me now posted:

They are completely functional appliance cars. As long as you aren’t looking for fun or capable they are good.

The thing I’m cross-shopping is the CX-30 which probably drives substantially better, has moderately more power and a normal 6 speed tranny but less cargo space. At that point, just get a Mazda3 imo.

What wouldn’t be an appliance car? I feel like all CUVs are called appliances but anything with good driving dynamics seems to be another 5-10k

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

a primate posted:

The thing I’m cross-shopping is the CX-30 which probably drives substantially better, has moderately more power and a normal 6 speed tranny but less cargo space. At that point, just get a Mazda3 imo.

What wouldn’t be an appliance car? I feel like all CUVs are called appliances but anything with good driving dynamics seems to be another 5-10k

The CX-30 is probably the most fun and most "premium" subcompact CUV on the market without going to the luxury options. It's still an appliance by AI standards, but it's the most engaging and pleasurable drive amongst its competition especially with the turbo. It also has more cargo space than the Mazda 3 that it is based on, and the extra ground clearance doesn't hurt for a utility vehicle.

Same story with the CX-5. Ultimately still an appliance, but in its segment its the best driving and most powerful (with turbo) option by a good margin.

Plus Mazda is just killing it with their interiors across the board, for the mainstream segment.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

To be fair no one lives in that area of Boston or parks on the street really anyways, you don't see parked cars on the streets much at all until you get into the areas like Kyoon is talking about

Right, which brings me back to the point I was making that banning cars there won't have any effect on the feasibility of electric cars because it already wasn't feasible to park a gas car there except in a garage.

I don't think anyone is proposing a car ban in medium density residential neighborhoods.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Just got a second fit sport manual bought out from under me by some bluegrass buttfucker from KY who is probably just reselling the cars to carvana

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MrLogan posted:

Anything more than 300hp is a complete waste.

false

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Koirhor posted:

bluegrass buttfucker

top tier username here for the taking

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

a primate posted:

A ex loaner or CPO MINI Countryman S is a fun compact CUV. But new you're starting at $35k for one.

CX-30 vs Seltos is going to come down to technology implementation/infotainment vs driving fun. The Kia/Hyundai infotainment and implementation of things like BSD and LKA are definitely better than Mazda's. It just wont be as much fun on a twisty road. If you are just looking for a point A to point B CUV the seltos is an attractive offer.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

MrLogan posted:

The Miata is still the greatest car. Anything more than 300hp is a complete waste.
Not far off IMO. I agree with 300hp being the point of indifference for sports cars, but maybe we could set the threshold at 400hp for big fat SUVs and the like

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

kill me now posted:

A ex loaner or CPO MINI Countryman S is a fun compact CUV. But new you're starting at $35k for one.

CX-30 vs Seltos is going to come down to technology implementation/infotainment vs driving fun. The Kia/Hyundai infotainment and implementation of things like BSD and LKA are definitely better than Mazda's. It just wont be as much fun on a twisty road. If you are just looking for a point A to point B CUV the seltos is an attractive offer.

Also the 40hp difference

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

sanchez posted:

They come up on bringatrailer sometimes if you have 10-20k to spend. That's close to 10x more than the one I had cost.

It’s so insane to me. We paid 1200 for it in 1998 with like 105k mi on it.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

a primate posted:

I got a CX-30 last summer, and I like it a lot for what it is. The increased height is good when I drive my folks and grandma around, and it's got a slightly bigger boot than the Mazda 3. I like the clicky wheel and appreciate no touch screens. Lane keep assist and ACC seem okay, but I'll admit I don't have a lot of experience with other systems. Lane departure is a tad aggressive, especially during winter. Auto high-beam doesn't cope well with the long twilights in the summer. We don't get the Seltos here, Niro is probably the closest alternative, but I reckon Mazda's interior is nicer.

Downsides are that boot size still isn't exactly stellar, and rear seat passengers don't have a lot of space either. My 1yo niece with a child seat fits just fine, however. If you don't need the ride height, just look into a Mazda 3.

Also just got 4 recall notices from Mazda, but they're all sorted by software updates, so any new car should already have them fixed.

e: Ah you did mention you want some boot space, so Mazda 3 probably isn't for you.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

got off on a technicality posted:

Not far off IMO. I agree with 300hp being the point of indifference for sports cars, but maybe we could set the threshold at 400hp for big fat SUVs and the like

You can use 100% throttle of an awful lot of horsepower on the street fairly safely and fairly legally. Going 30 to 75 in 2nd at full throttle on an on ramp with 600 horsepower? Lot of fun.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

You can use 100% throttle of an awful lot of horsepower on the street fairly safely and fairly legally. Going 30 to 75 in 2nd at full throttle on an on ramp with 600 horsepower? Lot of fun.

This is indeed the truth. I have a stop sign at the bottom of the hill where I live (too poor to live on the top, but I’m two streets up), and its enough to floor it from 0-fun and then ease off and turn onto my street. It’s a nice way to end my drive home.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sounds like you're just exercising the traction control system

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Re 3 vs CX-30 it's more that the two vehicles are a different shape than that there is much actual interior space difference.

In the passenger cabin the CX-30 has more height but less length (it does have a shorter wheelbase) so while it does feel more spacious its actually worse if you need to put a capsule or rear face child seat in (those need all the cabin length you can get). Likewise the boot is a bit larger and much taller but you lose length.

Really it's a bit moot as neither car is really competitive in interior space, Mazda is very much form before function across the entire range.

The Seltos on the other hand is like a slightly extended and more practically shaped Kona - it has the same drivetrain options.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

With 600hp going 30 to 75 is so brutally quick that it's over too soon. I promise I'm not just making this up to win an argument on the Internet; I genuinely get more out of winding out the TT than the Huracan on the street. The track is another matter :getin:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Charles posted:

You'll note that the Algae fuel article says most companies have pulled out of research or gone out of business, which is too bad. Of course I wouldn't be surprised that ExxonMobil, then under noted philanthropist Rex Tillerson, would spend $600 million on it, throw their arms up and say "we tried". I'm still hopeful they'll crack something meaningful at some point though.

Yeah, it's awesome we can do it but it's still cheaper to pull stuff out of the ground. Right now it's only for people that want to do it specifically and also have the space and resources, aka no one.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
Anybody know just how compromised the ride quality is on the Mercedes AMG GLA45 / A45 day-to-day? Are the older ones really that bad interior-wise for things like rattles vs just feeling like a $30K car generally? Sounding like the 35 is the way to go from I'm seeing (never mind the stupid "look at me..." top-end AMG options).

It's interesting how mixed the car reviews seem on them, yet a number claim it as like one of their favorite cars at any price. Guys like the Carwow guy even talked about buying one for his daily at home recently.

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 15, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Don't know about the AMG, but I felt like the regular GLA was pretty mediocre. Low headroom inside and bad visibility, but that's most modern crossovers. I liked sitting in the new A class much more, but didn't get to drive it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Russian Bear posted:

Sighhhh i miss my red 94.

I started motorcycling though. If connection to every function of the machine is what you're after, it's hard to beat a motorcycle.

Good point. I daily rode motos for a couple years. Had a CBR250R and a Ninja 650 and they were fantastic in their own ways. These days people are so glued to their phones even while driving and I've had so many close calls it's just so hard to justify riding anymore. I haven't ridden since 2012 and I'm not sure I can do it again. I'd love the sound and exhilaration of a four cylinder sportbike like a CBR650 but the dangers of some inattentive rear end in a top hat t-boning me are very real in Houston. Some of the worst drivers in the world are here, and phones only made it worse.

Got me thinking though...

Read about a new car? - Post here about how 25 year old cars are better!

e:

quote:

bluegrass buttfucker
:mods:

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I saw a black Bronco Sport and a black Defender yesterday, and gotta say that the Bronco looked significantly better. There's something weird about the Defender.

I saw a Bronco Sport and a defender on the Mass Pike today about 10 minutes apart. The Bronco Sport looks pretty decent. The Land Rover I saw was 2 or 4 cars ahead of me and all I could think was “What the gently caress is that ugly truck”. When I passed it I was horrified.

It looks much better from the right angle but from behind it’s loving terrible.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

kronix posted:

I saw a Bronco Sport and a defender on the Mass Pike today about 10 minutes apart. The Bronco Sport looks pretty decent. The Land Rover I saw was 2 or 4 cars ahead of me and all I could think was “What the gently caress is that ugly truck”. When I passed it I was horrified.

It looks much better from the right angle but from behind it’s loving terrible.

It's a bit like a freelander

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

With 600hp going 30 to 75 is so brutally quick that it's over too soon.

Too much power means you can only use it very briefly on public roads. It's fun to feel that rush of power, but it's over so quickly.

Even just my 80hp 600cc 4cyl motorcycle, I could barely wind it out in 2nd gear before getting into quite illegal territory, and it sort of needed to be above 8000 RPM to feel good.

I replaced it with a 46hp 660cc single-cylinder bike, and it was just a lot more fun more of the time, because I could really flog it without going way too fast.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

a primate posted:

I vote you get a CX30 with a turbo.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

I've owned, driven and raced cars with big hp with frighteningly quick acceleration and quite frankly the 400,000km 92Kw Subaru Forester thats had the poo poo worked out of it with suspension and brakes is still the most hilariously outright fun box on wheels of the lot of them. Once you get past a certain hp it is all a waste because you just can not use it in any way safely except on a track and even then you are kidding yourself unless you are chasing sheepstations - even THEN you need the car to be set up properly with at least better tyres than stock else some rear end in a top hat in a WRX is going to wait until you cook your brakes and pounce at the first hairpin and drive away while you are struggling to get traction.

But a car that has actual real handling and not a grip monster like far too many cars these days and great brakes? Yeah that where the fun really is, even just tipping it into a low speed roundabout faster than you really should be is just all grin. Feeling the car respond to a light touch and just turn. Having a chassis that feels alive and is talking and giving you feedback in ways most modern appliances just dont. The NA MX-5 is for sure a real pleasure to drive all the time while a big rear end Commodore with far more hp becomes a menace to itself

There was some remarkable driving machines from Japan from the early 90's to the early 2000's. FD RX7, R32 GTR, S14/S15 Silvia, NA/NB MX-5 but in the end the real height of balls to the wall driving is the EVOWRX twins. The GC8 WRX I know isnt a car hardly anyone is exposed to here but if you want speed AND raw driving it's very hard to beat and the best part is you dont need perfect pavement, it just gets better the wetter or dirtier the roads get. Those bigger and more powerful cars *need* good pavement to perform, the EVOWRX twins just simply dont care.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

With 600hp going 30 to 75 is so brutally quick that it's over too soon. I promise I'm not just making this up to win an argument on the Internet; I genuinely get more out of winding out the TT than the Huracan on the street. The track is another matter :getin:

Agree to disagree I guess. I love a lot of power and I use it all the time.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 16, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KozmoNaut posted:

Too much power means you can only use it very briefly on public roads. It's fun to feel that rush of power, but it's over so quickly.

So it's better to just not feel the rush of power?

I mean, you can make a 600 horsepower car accelerate like a 200 horsepower car by just not pushing the gas down as much, right?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

just tipping it into a low speed roundabout faster than you really should be is just all grin.

so, driving unsafely? That's what I mean when I say it's frequently safer to use straight line acceleration than pushing it 9/10ths around a corner a lot of the time, i.e. my example with the on ramp vs going around a roundabout where you're more likely to end up on top of a pedestrian or on top of a car in an adjacent parking lot or through the front window of a barber shop if you lose control.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 16, 2021

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
The thing that gets me about the slow car vs. fast car debate is that there is no one that thinks that fast cars are not fun. Fast cars are the default for fun. When we talk about how slow cars are also fun, we are not saying that fast cars are not fun. And yet people will take personal offense that someone might prefer a Miata in their life over a Lambo. They're different cars for different things. At this point I feel like it's a status thing, like someone can't accept that driving a clapped out Civic might approach the amount of fun of driving their ten-times-the-price M3, or else that would mean they wasted their money.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
The guy above saying 600 horsepower is a waste does not think 600 horsepower is fun.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

so, driving unsafely?

No actually, my lovely boxy wagon just happens to be far more capable and safer at cornering than your blunderbuss. Taking a small snip of a much larger point isnt trying to engage in good faith

Also for the record I leave driving like an rear end in a top hat on the track. Do you?

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 16, 2021

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Posters that genuinely believe 600hp is straight up unfun in any situation: please chime in and prove me wrong.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

So it's better to just not feel the rush of power?

I mean, you can make a 600 horsepower car accelerate like a 200 horsepower car by just not pushing the gas down as much, right?

gixxer 1k galaxy brain logic right there.

Hikaki posted:

Posters that genuinely believe 600hp is straight up unfun in any situation: please chime in and prove me wrong.

600hp in the dirt is righteous. 600hp on a track is also righteous. 600hp on american roads is pointless as the road surfaces is too busted to remotely use it nevermind the lack of skill of everybody that shares said roads. 100whp or less is more suitable for that. Its way more fun to flog a gutless shitbox "fast" than to baby a fast shitbox slow.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Burnouts are rad and so is going 120 on a straight abandoned b road.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm totally on board with "slow car fast".... But I think the car needs to at least have been developed with the perspective of spirited driving. My Honda Fit or Corolla were not particularly fun to drive fast. The Fiesta ST was fun as gently caress.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also for the record I leave driving like an rear end in a top hat on the track. Do you?

One thing's for sure, the people who'd rather 100% their throttle with a 4cyl engine from a stop sign at a hill on a residential street instead of keep their 600hp car under 2k rpm's are the real assholes. Signed, a dad with a baby taking a nap.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I acknowledge that you can technically use any amount of power on a public road, it's just that the time during which you can use it shrinks rapidly. That's fine for adding a chuckle to your day, but when you want to drive just for fun, huge power means your fun comes in short bursts, and in between time, you have to watch yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I acknowledge that you can technically use any amount of power on a public road, it's just that the time during which you can use it shrinks rapidly. That's fine for adding a chuckle to your day, but when you want to drive just for fun, huge power means your fun comes in short bursts, and in between time, you have to watch yourself.
To me it's like driving on a back country road. I'd much rather pick the speed I want and hit cruise than have a car in front of me holding me back. Even if their cruise is somehow set to exactly the same speed as mine.