Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm not sure that a pellet smoker would be my first choice. If I was getting anything other than a charcoal smoker I'd get an electric smoker and a pellet tube. Cost you a third as much as a pellet smoker and make just as good BBQ. Take a look at the Masterbuilt MES 130B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Canuckistan posted:

I'm not sure that a pellet smoker would be my first choice. If I was getting anything other than a charcoal smoker I'd get an electric smoker and a pellet tube. Cost you a third as much as a pellet smoker and make just as good BBQ. Take a look at the Masterbuilt MES 130B.

I've had a Weber 18" smoker for a while now, love the thing, also have a charcoal kettle, and a gas grill with a smoke tube. The gas grill is getting a little long in the tooth, and I'm mostly looking to replace that, having the ability to do a smoke would be nice too. My feelings are somewhere between, rebuild the gas grill and deal with it for another 10 years, and replace it and the kettle to save some patio space. Leaning more towards just rebuilding the gas grill at this point, but some of the new pellet grills seem neat.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 15, 2021

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

First off I have a Masterbuilt and can confirm, what you get for the money is really good.

But I didn’t know you could get pellet tubes for them? Why would that be better than the usual wood chips?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I finally bought that 22' Weber Kettle that people were recommending to me a few weeks ago, and now I can't get the mental image of me melting part of my deck/fence/siding the first time I use it. My back yard is mostly that plastic/composite deck "wood", and while there is part of it that's concrete it's pretty close to the plastic fence that the previous owner put up. How much distance should I have between my grill and anything plastic in order to operate it safely and damage-free?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 16, 2021

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

life is killing me posted:

First off I have a Masterbuilt and can confirm, what you get for the money is really good.

But I didn’t know you could get pellet tubes for them? Why would that be better than the usual wood chips?

One of the A-Maze-N pellet mazes will give 10-12 hours of smoke, instead of needing to dose the MES tube every 30 minutes.

Pellet Smoker vs. electric thoughts. Pellet smoker will give you a smoke ring and maybe marginally better bbq assuming similarly perfect circumstances. They can also function as a passable but not great, grill which an electric won’t. They are massively more expensive to both buy and run though.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I finally bought that 22' Weber Kettle that people were recommending to me a few weeks ago, and now I can't get the mental image of me melting part of my deck/fence/siding the first time I use it. My back yard is mostly that plastic deck "wood", and while there is part of it that's concrete it's pretty close to the plastic fence that the previous owner put up. How much distance should I have between my grill and anything plastic in order to operate it safely and damage-free?

If you can walk around it you should be fine, the ash catcher serves dual purpose, it also acts as a heat shield. Unless you are trying to get it above 600 F, you should probably be fine.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

bengy81 posted:

If you can walk around it you should be fine, the ash catcher serves dual purpose, it also acts as a heat shield. Unless you are trying to get it above 600 F, you should probably be fine.

Additionally you can just put an oil catch pan under the grill for any hot ashes

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MCXOR2/

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

One of the A-Maze-N pellet mazes will give 10-12 hours of smoke, instead of needing to dose the MES tube every 30 minutes.

Pellet Smoker vs. electric thoughts. Pellet smoker will give you a smoke ring and maybe marginally better bbq assuming similarly perfect circumstances. They can also function as a passable but not great, grill which an electric won’t. They are massively more expensive to both buy and run though.

I figured he was talking about a wood chip tube and tray that did pellets somehow. Though they don’t want you to burn wood chunks in an electric smoker that is designed for chips, not sure if pellets would work in the chip tube and tray?

Also I’ve never achieved a smoke ring in my electric smoker but I figured that was due to my lack of experience. Is an electric smoker not capable of it for some reason?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I figured he was talking about a wood chip tube and tray that did pellets somehow. Though they don’t want you to burn wood chunks in an electric smoker that is designed for chips, not sure if pellets would work in the chip tube and tray?

Also I’ve never achieved a smoke ring in my electric smoker but I figured that was due to my lack of experience. Is an electric smoker not capable of it for some reason?

I don’t think pellets would work well in the chip tray for your electric smoker. They’d end up combusting similar to how chunks would.

They’re talking about this: A-MAZE-N AMNPS Maze Pellet Smoker, Hot or Cold Smoking, 5 x 8 Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ROPJ1M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_5A3CR2K8RX42SQ3XX4CJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You light it with a butane torch and stick it on the bottom rack of the smoker and it produces a slow burn.

Re: smoke ring. Amazingribs.com has an article on this but it’s basically the type of combustion that happens in an electric. Since an electric is literally an outdoor oven, no combustion is happening except for the small amount from the chips or pellets, and that’s not enough for a smoke ring. Even with the amazn thing I linked above, you won’t get a smoke ring. I used one with my electric and it put out tons of smoke, however if you don’t mind just feeding wood chips for a few hours, it’s not necessary at all. I think meat can only absorb smoke for so long anyways, and it definitely doesn’t need 8-12 hours of pellets.

nwin fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 16, 2021

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Smoke ring is produced by combustion byproducts (NO2, iirc) that fix the color of the meat if it reacts prior to a certain temp. Electric smokers don’t have enough combustion going on in the wood tray to achieve a smoke ring.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I also mentioned to my wife I wanted to try making some pastrami. Her response was to make a face of disgust and say she can’t stand pastrami so :(

nwin posted:

I don’t think pellets would work well in the chip tray for your electric smoker. They’d end up combusting similar to how chunks would.

They’re talking about this: A-MAZE-N AMNPS Maze Pellet Smoker, Hot or Cold Smoking, 5 x 8 Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ROPJ1M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_5A3CR2K8RX42SQ3XX4CJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You light it with a butane torch and stick it on the bottom rack of the smoker and it produces a slow burn.

Re: smoke ring. Amazingribs.com has an article on this but it’s basically the type of combustion that happens in an electric. Since an electric is literally an outdoor oven, no combustion is happening except for the small amount from the chips or pellets, and that’s not enough for a smoke ring. Even with the amazn thing I linked above, you won’t get a smoke ring. I used one with my electric and it put out tons of smoke, however if you don’t mind just feeding wood chips for a few hours, it’s not necessary at all. I think meat can only absorb smoke for so long anyways, and it definitely doesn’t need 8-12 hours of pellets.

Gotcha. Well, my brisket went for about 12 hours. But wood chips are just fine. I keep the smoke locked in there and only add more like every hour or so. But as to smoke ring, that is somewhat disappointing since I’ve always wanted to see if I could do it like the competition bbq guys can. But then some of them just achieve the smoke ring with Prague powder. Which reminds me, I need some Prague powder.

Kalman posted:

Smoke ring is produced by combustion byproducts (NO2, iirc) that fix the color of the meat if it reacts prior to a certain temp. Electric smokers don’t have enough combustion going on in the wood tray to achieve a smoke ring.

Well poo poo.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Smoke rings just look good on Instagram, they don't make the meat taste any better.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone eats with their eyes first, but as long as you set expectations correctly you can do just fine. Call it barbecue, when people eventually ask you what you did, say you smoked it. That should manage any lofty expectations. Serve it with color, peppers or on a bed of frilly lettuce, side of colorful slaw, multi bean salad. Lots to play with.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I went from a MES to a pellet grill and I've never looked back. I can't put a good char on a bunch of food, but if I open the grates I can get a char on a couple of burgers or pieces of chicken.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Bought a proper smoker. Turns out this makes smoked pulled work way easier than a kettle and it’s easy af on a kettle.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

born on a buy you posted:

Bought a proper smoker. Turns out this makes smoked pulled work way easier than a kettle and it’s easy af on a kettle.

gently caress. That is making my mouth water and my belly is full of delicious stroganoff already

bengy81
May 8, 2010

I also mentioned to my wife I wanted to try making some pastrami. Her response was to make a face of disgust and say she can’t stand pastrami so :(

Gotcha. Well, my brisket went for about 12 hours. But wood chips are just fine. I keep the smoke locked in there and only add more like every hour or so. But as to smoke ring, that is somewhat disappointing since I’ve always wanted to see if I could do it like the competition bbq guys can. But then some of them just achieve the smoke ring with Prague powder. Which reminds me, I need some Prague powder.

Well poo poo.

Regarding the pastrami problem. Invest in a vacuum sealer and make it anyways, freeze everything into big enough portions to feed yourself sandwiches for a week. That's what I do when I make buckboard bacon, and it works out pretty well.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I have a power vacuum sealer and a manual one with a hand pump so should be good there. All I got is a point right now though, I never tried making pastrami or corned beef even so I don’t even know where to start until I do some research. Imagining one would use the flat tho

Carillon
May 9, 2014

VERTiG0 posted:

Haven't smoked a chicken ballotine, but I've made a few of them in the past year and they always impress. I can only imagine that a bit of smoke would improve it.

Idea got nixed by my partner for now, but I'm definitely going to keep it in my back pocket for later. When you make yours how did you do the skin?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

I have a power vacuum sealer and a manual one with a hand pump so should be good there. All I got is a point right now though, I never tried making pastrami or corned beef even so I don’t even know where to start until I do some research. Imagining one would use the flat tho

I cut a whole brisket in 3 peices the last time i corned one. I did so mostly for portion control and to help it cure evenly. Turned out great. Way better than store bought. Amazingribs should have a corned beef cure. Takes about a week. Once you corn it, then you put your pastrami rub on it and smoke it. Then its pastrami.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

ZombieCrew posted:

I cut a whole brisket in 3 peices the last time i corned one. I did so mostly for portion control and to help it cure evenly. Turned out great. Way better than store bought. Amazingribs should have a corned beef cure. Takes about a week. Once you corn it, then you put your pastrami rub on it and smoke it. Then its pastrami.

I’ll have to go buy another packer—been meaning to give the flat another go but maybe I can do three pieces like you did—my 30” MES can’t do the whole thing but could in 3 pieces maybe.

So I’ll probably do the brisket point I have normally and then buy a whole packer for pastrami, and corn and then smoke like 1/3 or 2/3 of it, do that last bit Texas-style

ne: I just got some mesquite chips too, been wanting to smoke some beef again since mesquite is too strong for stuff like pork to use it the entire smoke

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Carillon posted:

Idea got nixed by my partner for now, but I'm definitely going to keep it in my back pocket for later. When you make yours how did you do the skin?

I just tie the skin around the meat all held together with twine every inch or so down the length of the ballotine. Then into the oven on convection, on a wire rack/sheet pan for that crispy deliciousness.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Smoked two racks of baby backs. Crutched one for an hour in apple juice and the other just stayed on the rack.

Non-crutched was the winner.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Smoked two racks of baby backs. Crutched one for an hour in apple juice and the other just stayed on the rack.

NGL thought that was smoked octopus for a second

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

How it started/how it's going (with pork belly burnt ends):

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

born on a buy you posted:

What's that rub you used, looks delicious.

Made pulled pork as well this weekend, almost gone now. Also put two trays of beans under the pork to catch drippings and daaaamn it's so good. I think I like the beans more than the pork. Though they work best together.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Got a couple of octopuses in the freezer waiting for the weather to improve to throw on the offset. Any suggestions/advice on those? Plan is to run as cool as possible, with olive wood and an oil rub.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Olpainless posted:

Got a couple of octopuses in the freezer waiting for the weather to improve to throw on the offset. Any suggestions/advice on those? Plan is to run as cool as possible, with olive wood and an oil rub.

Please be a real post

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I can barely find certain cuts of cow, nevermind fresh octopus.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Made pulled pork as well this weekend, almost gone now. Also put two trays of beans under the pork to catch drippings and daaaamn it's so good. I think I like the beans more than the pork. Though they work best together.

My favorite thing to do with beans like this is take some pulled pork from a previous cook from the freezer and mix it in with the beans. I suppose you can also just mix in some from your current cook too. Makes some great "pork & beans" which thickens the beans up to a meaty bean dip type thing. I have posted pics of this in the thread before if you search my posts.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Olpainless posted:

Ive never smoked octopus, so this is just a theory. Since it gets so rubbery when overcooked maybe cold smoke with trays of ice. Then sear for a minute or two.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Please be a real post

Oh its real. They're pretty small ones, maybe 2lb a piece, so I'm hoping for more reasonable cook times at least.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I too would 100% go with a cold smoke of the octopus and then cook it.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I have a 14" WSM that I want to do ribs on. It seems too small to do anything but hang them unless I only want two servings. Thoughts on that? Both flat and in one of those racks that holds them up doesn't seem like I'll be able to fit much on a 14" grate.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Olpainless posted:

Oh its real. They're pretty small ones, maybe 2lb a piece, so I'm hoping for more reasonable cook times at least.

I am so loving down for this and there better be pictures and testimonials.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Nothing wrong with slicing the racks in half.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Nothing wrong with slicing the racks in half.

Cut the racks or coil them like Chad did.

Chad Sexington posted:

bengy81
May 8, 2010
You can roll them into pinwheels and hold and stick skewers thru them.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

His Divine Shadow posted:

Got a pack of this brands rubs as a gift. I’m happy with all of them so far. https://bullcitybbq.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I have a 14" WSM that I want to do ribs on. It seems too small to do anything but hang them unless I only want two servings. Thoughts on that? Both flat and in one of those racks that holds them up doesn't seem like I'll be able to fit much on a 14" grate.

I have two of those racks and used to use a WSM 14. I’d slice all my racks in two. Worked perfectly!