Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I don't have a dog in this fight but I know a lot of good people here like Dave so for their sake I hope he stops loving up at some point

It's wild that Bryan is the one who has to come in and apologize for poo poo Dave does but I'm glad he's a good dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

When was the last time he admitted being wrong and apologised? He can acknowledge that most ppl are good faith but if he doesn't actually take anything on board and change then so what?

I mean as stubborn as Bryan can be he at least admits to fuckups sometimes

Dave wrote a giant long apology about the Peyton Royce incident, even though imo he was in the right there.

I'm super pro Dave but uh, not on this one. Not a good choice.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

sleep with the vicious posted:

Dave wrote a giant long apology about the Peyton Royce incident, even though imo he was in the right there.

I'm super pro Dave but uh, not on this one. Not a good choice.

My guess is that after he wrote that apology, he saw that it didn't do anything to the trolls that were mobbing him, so it turned him against "cancel culture."

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

No, Dave just has a blind spot for friends and is completely unable to reconcile that someone might treat him one way but treat someone else a different way.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

sportsgenius86 posted:

No, Dave just has a blind spot for friends and is completely unable to reconcile that someone might treat him one way but treat someone else a different way.

I know a lot of people like this

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yeah, i feel like comparing this to the peyton stuff is kinda crazy; for all of the dumb poo poo dave’s done, this is maybe the one thing that doesn’t seem to have a good faith reading of this. i don’t read the observer often and i don’t love WOR enough to stay subscribed i don’t think.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, after the many cries of wolf this one happens and it just stinks.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

... responding to the Honma accusations with "women, what can you say?",

He did no such thing in either the WON or WOR. He reported in graphic detail exactly what Honma was accused of, then accurately stated that nobody in New Japan cared to believe her and nothing would happen to Honma because of it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Honma/Meltzer thing is so overblown because his point was more about the Japanese culture and how it would affect what happens than any kind of personal thought toward Honma’s actions.

HPJoker
Oct 30, 2017

Arbite posted:

Yeah, after the many cries of wolf this one happens and it just stinks.

He did no such thing in either the WON or WOR. He reported in graphic detail exactly what Honma was accused of, then accurately stated that nobody in New Japan cared to believe her and nothing would happen to Honma because of it.

Dave absolutely said something like that on WOR. It was incredibly quick and I decided not to harp on it because I thought he could do better in the future but I remember it vividly.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

The episode just got posted to my feed. Think I'll get around to it before I go to sleep

Edit: Just did and was great. Is Wuertz the only confirmed person in WWE into Q related stuff? I ask solely cause the episode only covered him (which I get was the point).
Story at the end was killing me.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 16, 2021

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Here's the real news https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1393803966639603715

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Arbite posted:

He absolutely did. The transcript I found doesn't have the date past it being a contemporaneous episode in November 2015, but I still had a sub at the time (my comped WO.com contributor sub, I think) and remember this clearly:

"It’s a weird thing because Tomoaki Honma actually has some deal going on television where he’s doing a gimmick where he’s in love with this very famous, or formerly famous, pop singer and model from the nineties who was really big in like 1995, 1997…Anyway, his real girlfriend, who nobody knows about, who’s actually a former wrestler from years and years back, it’s his girlfriend for 18 years, she’s jealous of this — she’s a wrestler — she’s jealous of this worked angle he’s doing on television, where he’s in love with, you know, the pop star girl. So she’s going through depression because he’s doing a worked angle and anyway, it’s women. What can I say? And then they went out to dinner- this would have been very recently — they go out to dinner and another girl shows up who I guess he was having an affair with four years ago. Now, keep in mind these two have been together for 18 years, so when you do the math, it’s not a good thing. So they get into a really big fight once they come back from dinner and she’s going off on him something fierce and I guess somewhere in the point of her going off on him, she realized she’s gone way too far with whatever she was saying, so she apologizes. And he kicks her in the face. Allegedly kicks her in the face. So, she said that and said that he’s mean to the dog and…it’s one of those things."

Later, when this got brought back up again—I don't remember how much time passed—he said that he was the only one to do the work and reach out to the police through an intermediary, something he never mentioned on audio or in the newsletter before that point.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1393804294055350276

What is this? WHAT IS THIS?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

davidbix posted:

So she’s going through depression because he’s doing a worked angle and anyway, it’s women. What can I say?

I guess somewhere in the point of her going off on him, she realized she’s gone way too far

Kill yourself, Dave. Seriously. Literally jump off the nearest building or do a moonsault into a noose or shove all that paper you have lying around in that loving sty of an office down your throat, I don't give a poo poo. Do the world a favour and loving disappear.

YOU. DO. NOT. loving. SAY. THIS. poo poo. ABOUT. DOMESTIC. loving. VIOLENCE.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 16, 2021

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
:stare:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

o_O

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I grew up in a household where domestic violence was a regular thing. People who should abso-loving-lutely know better saying poo poo like "she went too far" is loving infuriating.

And I mean every word I said about Big Dave just now. Anyone who says that kind of poo poo is part of the loving problem.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
dont yell at Shawms

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

No, you get back here and get what's yours, Shawms!

But seriously though, saying poo poo like "she went too far," that puts even a portion of the fault for what happened on the victim is the kind of thing a complete gently caress would do.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
just normal stuff

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

That wasn't analysis or commentary by Dave, that was directly reporting her account in that Japanese magazine/yahoo article which has unfortunately disappeared and I can't find on Archive or cached.

quote:

“…After returning home from the restaurant, the couple got into an argument, with Honma reacting quite violently to her. Ichiki, believing that she went too far, attempted to bow to Honma on her knees to plead for forgiveness (a Japanese gesture to express deep shame for one’s actions). Ichiki claims that Honma then kicked her upwards in the head when she knelt down.

Which is itself a reddit summarized translation. You aren't wrong to be livid at domestic abuse but your fury is being misdirected here.

davidbix posted:

"So she’s going through depression because he’s doing a worked angle and anyway, it’s women. What can I say?"

My mistake. He does seem to be using that expression to refer to how Vicky Guerrero is the only partner he knew of that didn't mind their S.O. being kayfabe involved with others.

This massive unforced Mitchell fuckup notwithstanding, Dave rapidly changing gears from reporting to analyzing to commentating and back again on the radio shows without being pressed for clarification is where he opens himself up to honest or wilful misinterpretations.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 16, 2021

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Anybody know how I can download all the B&V shows with like a script before I unsub?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
There's ways to mass download episodes if you have a NAS at least, I briefly looked into it (have a Synology) a while ago but it was pretty cumbersome.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WOR today starts with a long, rambling semi-apology.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I was trying to clip it but it’s been going five mins already

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

“If you’re mad, it should be directed at me. Perhaps someone should have talked me out of it. In hindsight maybe that should have been the case”

Says Bryan knew nothing.
Garrett didn’t organise it.
Says he was also annoyed and upset with Bruce’s story, realised he doubled down.
Doesn’t want to have controversial guests on again.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Lol at Dave's perhaps someone should have talked me out of it when he didn't seem to tell anyone he was doing it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
that part was :discourse:

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Most likely just more space junk from SpaceX.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

You can see the Starlink trains most nights now

https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/?special=starlink

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

“If you’re mad, it should be directed at me. Perhaps someone should have talked me out of it. In hindsight maybe that should have been the case”

Says Bryan knew nothing.
Garrett didn’t organise it.
Says he was also annoyed and upset with Bruce’s story, realised he doubled down.
Doesn’t want to have controversial guests on again.

FWIW I thought that apology was fine and pulling down the show was the right decision.

I take some issue with the last point because I think Dave is internalizing the wrong takeaway from this though. He can have controversial guests but it should be expected that he pushes back somehow when they're lying to his face. This is a guy who will stop a WO show with Bryan dead to correct Bryan if he misspeaks, so one would expect he'd do the same of a guest is intentionally misrepresenting facts.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dave starts with “it’s a long, complicated situation” when it’s literally not.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

magiccarpet posted:

You can see the Starlink trains most nights now

https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/?special=starlink

why does starlink need long trains of satellites while iridium gets away with like less than 100

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

flashy_mcflash posted:

FWIW I thought that apology was fine and pulling down the show was the right decision.

I take some issue with the last point because I think Dave is internalizing the wrong takeaway from this though. He can have controversial guests but it should be expected that he pushes back somehow when they're lying to his face. This is a guy who will stop a WO show with Bryan dead to correct Bryan if he misspeaks, so one would expect he'd do the same of a guest is intentionally misrepresenting facts.

It was more of an apology than I expected, and I took the last point as Dave recognizing he's possibly not good at interviewing controversial guests, so he's just staying away from it. Which is a perfectly fine route to go I guess. It's wrestling, I doubt we're ever going to have serious investigative journalism.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Dave gave a terrible apology that I think he means,if that makes sense

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Aw shucks the 60 year old man is just too naive to know what he's doin'

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Seems like this all got resolved, maybe I can get away with not having done any of the reading or listening or caring about any of this. Time will tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

NienNunb posted:

Seems like this all got resolved, maybe I can get away with not having done any of the reading or listening or caring about any of this. Time will tell.

i'll allow it