Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Whatever people earn, incomes should all be in the same order of magnitude - salary and capital income. Inequality is bad in and of itself and we should take whatever steps are necessary to reduce and prevent it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

PawParole posted:

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1393686216474861569

greens just tripled their vote share.

time for labour to move right.

Lib dems are still ultimately run by some Oxford type poshos at some level yeah or was that just Clegg?

I can't help but feel there's a reason beyond simple resistance to change that prevents the Green party from being given as big a public platform by the media despite their growing size.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Racists who hit 'reply all'" should be a category within itself in systemic racism studies.
https://twitter.com/sxde_/status/1393530744119627779

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Kin posted:

Lib dems are still ultimately run by some Oxford type poshos at some level yeah or was that just Clegg?

I can't help but feel there's a reason beyond simple resistance to change that prevents the Green party from being given as big a public platform by the media despite their growing size.

Ed Davey is an Orange Booker and a former coalition minister

This is the new normal for the Lib Dems, they aren't getting back to their early 00s heights probably ever

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Guavanaut posted:

"Racists who hit 'reply all'" should be a category within itself in systemic racism studies.

loving hell.

Also loving hell : that bit in the guardian article about how priti Patel has a pathological need to always say / do the TOUGHEST thing possible, or the MEANEST thing she can, no matter What, regardless of the consequences.

Just imagine being that utterly broken.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Agency is slipping. When I was a temp back in the olden days of the 1980s, the code agencies used for persons of colour was 'pleasant personality'.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/TheOtaking/status/1392946533595746309

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

The Perfect Element posted:

Also loving hell : that bit in the guardian article about how priti Patel has a pathological need to always say / do the TOUGHEST thing possible, or the MEANEST thing she can, no matter What, regardless of the consequences.

The Guardian piece was worth reading. The take-home facts weren't surprising, though:
- The media is massively racist
- The government, therefore, has to be massively racist so that they don't appear weak by comparison
- Civil servants working within the Home Office are a bunch of craven sadists who will gleefully throw victims of the worst abuse imaginable into a pit filled with their abusers, if it gives them a chance of being promoted

Really, what the piece reinforced was that the entire political sphere revolving around the written press is a loving cancer on the country. The only people who consider the written press to be relevant are MPs and other media sources.
People are getting needlessly thrown into Serco-run detention facilities and raped for years on the basis of Paul loving Dacre being scared of everyone who isn't the same sallow shade of pasty-white as he is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't really know that I buy the interpretation that the poor conservatives are being bullied into being massive racists by the media.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I don't really know that I buy the interpretation that the poor conservatives are being bullied into being massive racists by the media.

Me neither, but I think the point was that it doesn't really give them an option either way.
Which I don't entirely agree with either - the relationship between the press and the Tories has generally been exceptionally cozy for the last 13 years (give or take), so if the Tories had wanted to push a new immigrants narrative, they could have done so.

I dunno, it's the Guardian - I doubt any of us are going to agree with the whole thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

kingturnip posted:

Me neither, but I think the point was that it doesn't really give them an option either way.
Which I don't entirely agree with either - the relationship between the press and the Tories has generally been exceptionally cozy for the last 13 years (give or take), so if the Tories had wanted to push a new immigrants narrative, they could have done so.

I dunno, it's the Guardian - I doubt any of us are going to agree with the whole thing.

Trilling is a pretty solid (and Correct) journalist, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Incidentally, this video is much more fun than the description suggests:

https://twitter.com/steinjock/status/1393685707080802306?s=21

Fash very thoroughly bashed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the little tug of his jacket after he annihilates both of them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah it's not just about having fast hands, it's also about looking absolutely unbothered as you stroll off to enjoy your evening. Sprezzatura, innit

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If there is a worse breed of cunts on this cursed isle than Rangers supporters, I have yet to meet them.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

kingturnip posted:

the entire political sphere revolving around the written press is a loving cancer on the country.

iawtp

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I love the little pan round to show the police van right loving there.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

well how else are the racists supposed to get to the match?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Ravel posted:

Whatever people earn, incomes should all be in the same order of magnitude - salary and capital income. Inequality is bad in and of itself and we should take whatever steps are necessary to reduce and prevent it.

This is what I was getting at with the maximum wage thing too. It's why New Labour's "intensely relaxed about people becoming filthy rich" thing was very bad, even with the implication (if you're feeling generous) that untold wealth is fine so long as the people at the bottom end have enough. It sounds very logical - have a minimum floor, which could even be very comfortable, and let the uniquely successful/lucky shoot off into the stratosphere - but empirically it doesn't seem to work like that. Not that that ever stopped New Labour doing a thing.

No idea what the ratio should be, but definitely small, single figures.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
the point is that the astronomically rich get that rich by stealing (peoples labour, etc) so if you have very rich people you also have people getting hosed over you can’t have one without the other

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sounds like dangeorusly left wing ideas for the labour party to be espousing.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
is a footballer or an actor or artist or musician that gets astronomically rich stealing someone's labour? Or are none of those sorts rich enough to be considered astronomically rich without branching out into doing something in labour theft territory?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Kin posted:

Pretty much everything is run by oxford type poshos in english politics.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

is a footballer or an actor or artist or musician that gets astronomically rich stealing someone's labour? Or are none of those sorts rich enough to be considered astronomically rich without branching out into doing something in labour theft territory?

They don't get astronomically rich, by and large, and the ones that do, do so because they develop clothing lines or colognes or become landlords or whatever, i.e. by stealing other peoples' labour.

Even tens of millions, whilst an absurd amount by most peoples' standards, isn't astronomically rich. Jeff Bezos could personlly pay the net worth of every single footballer and musician and still be a hundred billionaire.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 16, 2021

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

NotJustANumber99 posted:

None of them get to billionaire status without investing heavily in real estate/stocks at which point they are stealing other people's labour, yes. Whether they should be making millions for entertainment is a different discussion that is also warped by other people having billions of dollars.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You can only become astronomically rich if someone down the line is getting exploited. Doesn't really matter what field of work we're talking about.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
There's also a solid argument that musicians and top paid sports people are about the only people who are actually paid vaguely in line with what their labour is worth.

If millions of people all value a single individual's performance a small amount... that individual gets millions of small amounts, and that adds up to a large amount.

How much of that should be reclaimed by the people at large as taxes, now that's a different question...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What musicians and athletes get paid is usually a tiny percentage of what the managers and sponsors get, anyway.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Almost all musicians, entertainers and footballers are victims of labour theft. It's only the miniscule percentage at the top that actually get paid what they're worth (and even then someone else is taking a much larger percentage for doing next to nothing).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could argue that the only reason celebrities can get rich is because all of the countless people who work to support their field do not.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

kingturnip posted:

You can only become astronomically rich if someone down the line is getting exploited. Doesn't really matter what field of work we're talking about.

Hence the idea of luxury gay space communism, which is about creating a society that removes that limitation. Sometimes it seems that enabling everyone to be astronomically rich could well be the easiest way to deal with the power of rich people.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What musicians and athletes get paid is usually a tiny percentage of what the...sponsors get, anyway.

...do you know how sponsorship works?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
just take rich people stuff imo

just march in there and say HIY YOU I'M TAKIN THIS HERE SO AHM :mad: and march right out of there with something like a fancy eight slice toaster that has a thingy on top for to do scones and bagels and wheaten bread and that without having to unplug the thing afterwards and do the old knife tweezer trick to fetch the charred remains thereof from within

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
actually eight slices could be hard on the electric bill over time unless it has a feature to turn off half of it

probably just play it by ear and monitor the meter and only use it for special occasions if it's using too much

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

...do you know how sponsorship works?

Yeah they give the person x and off the back of that person representing them, a sponsor gains x+.

The sponsor comes out better for it.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

bump_fn posted:

the point is that the astronomically rich get that rich by stealing (peoples labour, etc) so if you have very rich people you also have people getting hosed over you can’t have one without the other

This is true, but also if you started from a point of fairly-equal income and wealth, but then gave a bunch of people giant money fresh off the printing press, the inequality itself would distort the system, harming those at the bottom just through the relative value of things, before they even started being exploited by the new-money-havers.

Which is why it doesn't matter to what extent a person acquired their hundreds of millions through exploitation, it should be taken off them all equally, whether they run a sweatshop, or sold their self-published Kindle book for £1.50 to 100m people.

E: but we should close the sweatshop and let the person keep self-publishing

Also links back to the MMT view of tax, which is that you don't take the money off these people to "fund government spending", you take the money off them and destroy it before it can do any harm.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

crispix posted:

just take rich people stuff imo

just march in there and say HIY YOU I'M TAKIN THIS HERE SO AHM :mad: and march right out of there with something like a fancy eight slice toaster that has a thingy on top for to do scones and bagels and wheaten bread and that without having to unplug the thing afterwards and do the old knife tweezer trick to fetch the charred remains thereof from within

You can buy wood/bamboo tongs for exactly that purpose you know, or just use chopsticks

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

crispix posted:

actually eight slices could be hard on the electric bill over time unless it has a feature to turn off half of it

probably just play it by ear and monitor the meter and only use it for special occasions if it's using too much
My toaster does 4 slices, it's just got separate levers for each pair so you can do them separately.

I once got a toaster with an egg poacher built in as a Christmas present. Thing is, egg poachers are poo poo, & I like poached eggs far too much to put up with bad ones. Sometimes wonder who that thing is even for, since if you don't like poached eggs all that much why would you want a dedicated machine taking up counter space? :iiam:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you aren't dancing with death by fishing things out of the toaster with a knife are you really living?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

How can you have a combination toaster and poacher? Are they just two separate machines that someone arbitrarily bolted into each other? One requires lots of water, the other requires a complete absence of water. They're not exactly a match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The magical world of bolting things to toasters.