Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just figured out how to "pilot" individual modules, I've just been backing it up blind this whole time. Call this thing a truck, least give me a dang reaview mirror on the side.

edit: got my seatruck expanded and I'm cracking up at this little thing at the front somehow tugging these modules behind it when the cyclops had this massive room dedicated to the engine with 12 power cores and whatever.
Now realized the storage module's "bench" is not decorative, I've just been littering the item with resources whenever I fill up not knowing I had even more room.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm on the fence here. The original Subnautica was incredible, albeit a bit frustrating since I never felt like the tools I was given were all that effective against leviathans (I tried to make decoys work but they just never really seemed to). The cyclops continues to be one of the single best vehicles in any game I've played, since so many games never give you the chance to explore inside a vehicle. Either your vehicle is just another map (IE : Mass Effect) or you just hop in and drive and can't really explore it. The cyclops remains the best thing about the game when I think back on it.

So Beyond Zero is giving me temptation for more Subnautica lore (Yes, I actually read all the journal entries and scan entries and poo poo) but at the same time I am a bit worried from what I've heard that it just won't live up to the base game. So is it worth the $30 or should I wait for a sale or what?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
A really annoying bug they never fixed is when the light cones of your seatruck/seamoth headlights render when you're in the cockpit and you have to get out and back in to fix it.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

khy posted:

I'm on the fence here. The original Subnautica was incredible, albeit a bit frustrating since I never felt like the tools I was given were all that effective against leviathans (I tried to make decoys work but they just never really seemed to). The cyclops continues to be one of the single best vehicles in any game I've played, since so many games never give you the chance to explore inside a vehicle. Either your vehicle is just another map (IE : Mass Effect) or you just hop in and drive and can't really explore it. The cyclops remains the best thing about the game when I think back on it.

So Beyond Zero is giving me temptation for more Subnautica lore (Yes, I actually read all the journal entries and scan entries and poo poo) but at the same time I am a bit worried from what I've heard that it just won't live up to the base game. So is it worth the $30 or should I wait for a sale or what?

There's more lore, so if you like that I'd say get it for that reason alone.

I wouldn't say it's as good as the base game but it's still pretty darn good, and Unknown Worlds making more money from the game can't hurt the prospect of a future sequel.

Like if OG Subnautica is a 9/10 (sorry, buggy last part of the game), BZ is an 8-8.5 in my book. I've played 2/3 of the way through the game twice (restarted after every major patch, althoug I didn't have to) and am on my third playthrough now.

Section Z posted:

Apparently there used to be a rear view camera, but the prawn docked on the back or some other element blocked it. So they "solved" this problem by just saying gently caress it and removing it entirely :v:

No, it was just really buggy - IIRC you could often see waaay far beyond what you were supposed to (through stuff, I think?).

I handle docking the cockpit module to a train by driving up in front of i and pointing my nose at the hatch,, executing a 180, then tapping reverse. Not really an elegant solution for trying to reverse next to a hatch in your base so you can unload a Storage Module or two quicker though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

khy posted:

It's a different take on the same concept, with its own benefits and detriments. I don't think it's any less valid than the original game, though I can see why some choices rub people the wrong way. But it is good and well-made still.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

So, below zero, worth doing survival over freedom?

Will hunger and thirst add to the game or is it skippable?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
With a freeform story like this they should have copied Outer Wilds and gone for that rumour map design. I don't like these personal diary logs that appear because they don't really fit with what I'm doing or thinking at any moment.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Meskhenet posted:

I started survival and found it more of a minor annoyance as anything that adds to the game. Especially since nothing stacks and you'll just add another layer of inventory management to the one from the general ressources. Probably better without it.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

khy posted:

Honestly my opinion is the quality of life improvements (seeing battery meters on items in your inventory, being able to tag recipes etc) are worth it alone.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm going to say it. I like the Seatruck better than the Cyclops.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Just finished the game, and it was honestly worth the 20 bucks. There were a couple of elements that I would say were implemented "a little roughly", or not as good as they could have been implemented, but I enjoyed the change-up with the lore.
Being completely on your own worked really well for the original Subnautica and - conversely - not being "completely" alone really worked for Below Zero in my opinion.

I feel like they really could have made the different storylines mesh a little more, but other than that, it was alright.

One thing I'll say about Below Zero that turned out completely different for me vs. Vanilla was base-building. In Vanilla, my bases were entirely functional, literally nothing else. Yeah, I had access to desks, and beds, and command chairs, and wall planters and whatnot, but none of my base design ever went anything past utilirarian.
In Below Zero, once I casually put up a poster I found (pretty much just to free up inventory space), I figured "you know what? Let's spruce this place up a little", and I ultimately spent SO MUCH MORE time on base building than in vanilla.

Those pics of Sam and potato? Let's put those on a fancy desk. Maybe have it face a window panel to overlook the entrance to the twisty bridges. And a desk needs a swivel chair, obviously, maybe a funny motivational poster next to the desk. Well, I can't have all this utility poo poo in the same room as my "living room", better add another stack of multipurpose room, I could put the nuclear reactor in the bottom, and then reinforce the whole thing. Maybe also add a bulkhead, because that makes sense. Oh, I can't hear my jukebox in the moonpool and greenhouse? Gotta add some speakers so I have the chill tunes in every corner of my base.

I guess I could have had a similar experience in Vanilla, but it just never seemed "desirable" given the setting of the game.
Here's a pic from I think the midgame, before I went completely nuts on my greenhouse.

I put my base on the northeast edge of delta island, at one of the twisty bridges entrances, just about 200m south of some abandoned/defunct floating pengling research station with a dangling power wire.
Super central location with quick access to pretty much every resource in the game with the exception of magnetite and kyanite, but the deep purple spires are only about 400m off.

Two things that I've noticed:
- Did resource nodes (limestone, etc. all breakable rocks, table coral, etc.) respawn in vanilla Subnautica as well? Because I don't recall that being a thing in the original game, and I immediately noticed that nodes were respawning pretty frequently in BZ, which made resource gathering much less of a hassle.
- I'm pretty sure my nuclear reactor was bugged, because there's no way this is intentional. I built the reactor around 12-14 hours into my game and only dumped in one fuel rod (of which I had six thanks to wreck-spelunking), and that fuel rod is still not burned out 26 hours in.
And I have a filtration machine, power cell and battery chargers operating everytime I return to base, a scanner room, a jukebox, a fridge, a bunch of flood lights, of course the fabricator use, seatruck recharging in the moonpool...and my base's power just occasionally dipped to 2500/2700 but recharged up to capacity every time.
Yeah, I have three solar panels on the roof, but those had trouble even keeping up with recharging my seatruck while everything else in the base was running, and they do fuckall during the night.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's funny how certain things that make real life hard translate to video games. Every time when I'm coming back to my base I think next time I'm going to carry some loving scanners. Every single time when I'm leaving my base exactly when I'm far enough along that I don't want to go back I realize I never made any scanners.

Early in the game I found a bridge missing hydraulic oil . Now I have the item and I can't for the life of me find the place. Anyone have a good way to navigate to it?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Eifert Posting posted:

It's funny how certain things that make real life hard translate to video games. Every time when I'm coming back to my base I think next time I'm going to carry some loving scanners. Every single time when I'm leaving my base exactly when I'm far enough along that I don't want to go back I realize I never made any scanners.

Early in the game I found a bridge missing hydraulic oil . Now I have the item and I can't for the life of me find the place. Anyone have a good way to navigate to it?

The bridge is north of the Phi Robotics Lab dock

I wish that items in the bioreactor showed how much energy has been "spent" from them. The control room makes it a lot easier to figure out most energy stuff, but some things are still a bit opaque.

Also, it took this game to make me realize scanner upgrades stack. No wonder I felt the distance upgrade in original Subnautica was useless - it only increases range by 50m, but with four it becomes +200m!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HarshDelectableIchidna-mobile.mp4

You get outta here. You giiiit.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Very strong "My Planet Needs Me" vibes from that brute shark

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I have no idea how you guys can see a shark in that screenshot, my eyes must not be working. edit: ah video, gotcha

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Just finished the game, and it was honestly worth the 20 bucks

- Did resource nodes (limestone, etc. all breakable rocks, table coral, etc.) respawn in vanilla Subnautica as well? Because I don't recall that being a thing in the original game, and I immediately noticed that nodes were respawning pretty frequently in BZ, which made resource gathering much less of a hassle.
- I'm pretty sure my nuclear reactor was bugged, because there's no way this is intentional. I built the reactor around 12-14 hours into my game and only dumped in one fuel rod (of which I had six thanks to wreck-spelunking), and that fuel rod is still not burned out 26 hours in.
And I have a filtration machine, power cell and battery chargers operating everytime I return to base, a scanner room, a jukebox, a fridge, a bunch of flood lights, of course the fabricator use, seatruck recharging in the moonpool...and my base's power just occasionally dipped to 2500/2700 but recharged up to capacity every time.
Yeah, I have three solar panels on the roof, but those had trouble even keeping up with recharging my seatruck while everything else in the base was running, and they do fuckall during the night.

-It's 50 bucks here =/ Makes it a harder pill
-Unless things changed in 1.0, nodes shouldn't respawn.
-Nuke rods have 20k charge which is gargantuan; most people will probably go through the game with their main base draining less than that, especially since running 3 desalinators 24/7 isn't needed anymore. The order-of-drain for power sources is still buggy/erratic, so it's entirely possible the solar cells are being drained first which probably helps too.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 16, 2021

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Serephina posted:

I have no idea how you guys can see a shark in that screenshot, my eyes must not be working.

It's a video.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

You know how other games often have underwater sections with air pockets/air bubbles/whatever? And how other underwater games have a breath meter? Oftentimes I've found myself, while exploring underwater, always finding a sense of comfort and security with those air bubbles. Good example - Assassin's Creed Black Flag, swimming around the diving bell or the barrels with air inside.

For some reason pipes evoke the same sense of security within me. Even though I can just swim up to the surface or enter a habitat, I often find myself hovering around the end of a pipe because of how I get that same sense of safety from them that I get in other games that have underwater exploration sections. It's bizarrely comforting just because I've been conditioned by all the other games that put air sources in water.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Good news, Below Zero has lots of air bubbles and it makes exploring caves a lot less stressful!

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Zesty posted:

I'm going to say it. I like the Seatruck better than the Cyclops.

I miss my Seamoth. :cry:

(And sonar. Oh god do I want me some sonar. Luckily the seaglide map seems better than in vanilla.)

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

haldolium posted:

I started survival and found it more of a minor annoyance as anything that adds to the game. Especially since nothing stacks and you'll just add another layer of inventory management to the one from the general ressources. Probably better without it.

awesome. i will do that.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

PokeJoe posted:

Yeah lead was the hardest thing to find for me too. My trick for dealing with the sharks is to just ram them with the seatruck until they die :v:

i was thinking the same ... until i turned on object highlighting in options.
Lead is really common ore that you just dont notice easily

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I gotta say the Pre-prawn portion of this game had a lot more awesome free-diving portions. In Vanilla I feel like I got a Seamoth depth upgrade and was fine to explore everything through the river with that. Here I couldn’t find a depth module to save my life so I wound up seagliding to several story beacons using oxygen plants and it was super fun

This happened all the way through the Prawn suit mine area. I found my way into it free diving through a thermal vent my truck couldn’t fit into. I slid along the path of oxygen plants, found the alien artifact, then got greedy scanning prawn suits. I realized I couldn’t get back the way I came so I figured my only chance was forward. Found the main mine entrance and a few more oxygen plants on the way and finally found my way outside and revved as fast as I could to the surface blacking out and thought I had died. It was a super fun element I don’t think I had experienced in the game before since in the original the only
times you’d be in danger like this were wrecks.

Now I have my prawn suit and went back in to mine the hell out of those nodes. If only I can remember where I found the first parts of the speed and horsepower modules for the truck and the grappling arm. Also major hurdle was finding a drat spiral plant. I had scanned it but had zero idea WHERE so I just zoomed around for a few hours looking for it and getting distracted by cool stuff.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You can plant those, As a heads up

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Trying to start below zero to wrap up the game and it crashes right away. Is there a fix?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Meskhenet posted:

Frankly I don't think it makes much difference, you get food plants really early in this game versus the prequel. So food and drink stops being an issue since you can fill up at about the same time that you return to your base to drop off resources. I like planting houseplants and also food is a reward you get for some quests, so I'd go survival just so that those quests are a bit more meaningful.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Was out of date video drivers causing the crash. Saw the ending, meh. The first game was alot better.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Marguerit Storyline Spoiler
Thanks for turning off that tower. Have a marblemelon. *leaves the plot*

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i gotta say, the in-game world of beyond zero is way less interesting to me than the first game. there seem to be fewer biomes and far, far more areas of just wide open nothing with a big fish partrolling it and that's all.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm 5 hours into below zero and it feels better than subnautica overall because it's running a lot smoother with less noticeable pop in. the intro is very cool. I hope this keeps up and I'm glad I'm playing this one as blind as possible.

think I prefer having a silent character for this kind of game.

Fragments and exploration feels slower than subnautica. not sure if you actually move slower or what, but it feels like it and also fragments seem more spread out unless I've just been missing everything.

well back to not reading the thread

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I didn't find the land element too annoying I just booked it on foot while shoveling chilis and salads down my throat. Have 2/3 Alien bits. Still haven't found the snow speeder.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Eifert Posting posted:

I didn't find the land element too annoying I just booked it on foot while shoveling chilis and salads down my throat. Have 2/3 Alien bits. Still haven't found the snow speeder.

The snow speeder is a piece of crap anyway - horrible controls (who the hell decided that moving the mouse left or right should do different things depending on if you are holding W or not?), laughable short jump height and bulky movement. The only advantage is the engine heats you up when sitting on it, but if you have the winter suit cold is basically a non issue anyway

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Serephina posted:

I have no idea how you guys can see a shark in that screenshot, my eyes must not be working. edit: ah video, gotcha

-It's 50 bucks here =/ Makes it a harder pill
-Unless things changed in 1.0, nodes shouldn't respawn.
-Nuke rods have 20k charge which is gargantuan; most people will probably go through the game with their main base draining less than that, especially since running 3 desalinators 24/7 isn't needed anymore. The order-of-drain for power sources is still buggy/erratic, so it's entirely possible the solar cells are being drained first which probably helps too.

That makes sense, i could see my three solar panels lessening the strain on the reactor.

But I can definitely confirm that my resource nodes have been respawning (either upon loading of a save or over time, not entirely sure) both before and after 1.0 release.

I had cleared out pretty much every rock about 200m around my base when I started building it and crammed it into a whole bunch of big lockers in my storage room. Several times thereafter, I'd find the immediate surrounding of my base repopulated with resource nodes when I had to go out resource scavenging for future construction.

This did not, however include the mining nodes, because I could confirm (at least for kyanite nodes in the crystal caves) that they were still depleted when I swung by for a later visit.

Also, someone explain to me why the Alterra PDA narrator voice occasionally switches to an Indian accent. Was there an explanation for that which I missed, or was it supposed to be two different narrators depending on the PDAs I picked up? (i.e. Alterra vs. Transgov?)

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The only thing I dislike so far are the seamonkey nests. The idea of them snatching stuff and putting it into their nests is cute, but every single nest area is so confusingly laid out. Trying to find the fragments for the sea truck upgrades is a big pain

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Color me surprised about resources respawning! Still doesn't help with the Lead issue, argh.

I thought the PDA was always indian? There's other voicelines but they aren't the PDA, I felt it was consistent?

With the seamonkeys, they're cute later on but I swear to god I'm always half a hair from murdering them all. once upon a time I dropped 2 items quickly when shuffling inventories, and when I came back the suit was still there but the seaglide with my first ion cell was gone. No nearby nests had them, and I was seeing red. Also the last upgrade I got was the horsepower upgrade. I think there where only 3 (maybe 4?) blueprints in the entire game, which I only found my second of after using a scanner room. Seemed like a herculean effort for such a small thing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This game's graphics feel a lot better than the original. Not sure if they did a graphical pass on everything or it's just the LOD working much better, but it looks really sharp.

the aboveground weather in particular looks great. extremely onboard with this expansion so far.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Serephina posted:

I thought the PDA was always indian? There's other voicelines but they aren't the PDA, I felt it was consistent?

Sounds kinda German or Scandanavian to me :shrug:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Seatruck chat: it gives me EVE Online flashbacks.

The space breadsticks get comically long as well :allears:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Sounds kinda German or Scandanavian to me :shrug:

As a German/Scandinavian, I can assure you it is definitely Indian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm a sleepy mother bleeper, work gonna be rough. Really pleased with my base design.