Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

How can you have a combination toaster and poacher? Are they just two separate machines that someone arbitrarily bolted into each other? One requires lots of water, the other requires a complete absence of water. They're not exactly a match.
ngl it was pretty bad

e: awful snipe. In '96, England used to have a football team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

How can you have a combination toaster and poacher? Are they just two separate machines that someone arbitrarily bolted into each other? One requires lots of water, the other requires a complete absence of water. They're not exactly a match.

You don't actually need more than a tablespoon of water to poach an egg with the right-shaped container - all its doing is holding the temp around 100C.

But yeah it's literally just a thing bolted to the side of a toaster and even more ridiculously it's normally only got capacity for one egg on a two-slice toaster.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You don't actually need more than a tablespoon of water to poach an egg with the right-shaped container - all its doing is holding the temp around 100C.

But yeah it's literally just a thing bolted to the side of a toaster and even more ridiculously it's normally only got capacity for one egg on a two-slice toaster.

who the gently caress would ever eat only one egg. what is happening to people today

I'm cross because my 2nd vaccine appointment got moved up and now I'm feeling lovely *and* I have to go to work tomorrow. I'd booked holiday time after the day I *thought* it was going to happen. Blagh.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

HopperUK posted:

who the gently caress would ever eat only one egg.
The French.

Un oeuf is enough :dadjoke:

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
The proper way to use a toaster is to turn it on it's side. Put a slice of bread with cheese on top in the toaster, and you get almost instant cheese on toast.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

HopperUK posted:

who the gently caress would ever eat only one egg. what is happening to people today

I like eggs but eating more than one makes me very nauseated, I've never worked out why but from long experience one's my limit in a sitting.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Maugrim posted:

I like eggs but eating more than one makes me very nauseated, I've never worked out why but from long experience one's my limit in a sitting.

To be fair, I can't eat more than two eggs in a go. I was just feeling cross.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

GlyphGryph posted:

Poisons aren't great for animals in your house because of the smell, yeah. They are best used for outdoors animals like pigeons and squirrels in your local park.

there was a company here called in by a local apartment complex that set out poison traps because people were angry about the birds and they ended up poisoning untold numbers of birds in truly awful, heinous, cruel ways. it was really bad.

Private Speech posted:

How do people get rid of ants? We have ants in the kitchen and my bedroom, all the food is stored in the kitchen with nothing left out etc., but the buggers don't seem to want to quit. They especially love my herbal tea I have when it's too late for normal tea, must be the jasmine smell or something.

I saw these ant poison traps on Amazon but I'm not sure if it's the right way to go. A bit scared the poison will get left around and a cat will eat it or something.

i can't tell what the active ingredient is on those, but if it's borax / sodium tetraborate, it's probably pretty safe to use. those are generally in metal containers that are pretty hard to open, and the toxicity for mammals is such that you'd have to consume a fair amount for it to have a serious impact. the tiny bits that ants will eat / move won't be an issue.

with that said i believe it can be toxic to aquatic life (like lots of things are) so you'd probably want to avoid using them outside / near waterways.

HopperUK posted:

my limit is six

unless it's deviled eggs then there is no limit

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Jesus christ I think luke akehurst might be the dumbest man alive

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1393847108143222787?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Soylent Yellow posted:

The proper way to use a toaster is to turn it on it's side. Put a slice of bread with cheese on top in the toaster, and you get almost instant cheese on toast.
Just get a toaster oven if you want to do that, toasters aren't designed to run on their side and can start fires if the crumb tray empties onto the element, the cheese on toast can go everywhere when the spring goes off, and it's approved by Jamie Oliver so you can tell it's just terrible.

A half decent toaster oven will also do anything that one of those air fryers claim to do and also pizza. Maybe only small pizza but still pizza.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i remember reading a really interesting essay a few years ago that was about how, even if you ignore how they got it, it is indefensibly unethical for rich people to hoard their money. wish i could find it

anyway

https://twitter.com/W_F_Magee/status/1393543841429565440

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Another rubbish opinion piece in the Telegraph about the heritage sector.

The head of DCMS everyone:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2021/05/15/time-end-elite-dominance-heritage/

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bobstar posted:

Which is why it doesn't matter to what extent a person acquired their hundreds of millions through exploitation, it should be taken off them all equally, whether they run a sweatshop, or sold their self-published Kindle book for £1.50 to 100m people.
A while ago someone in this thread had the idea of making it so that once you reach a billion in personal wealth, you give them a big ceremony and a badge or special hat or something, and then anything over 1 billion they make is taxed at 100%.

Nobody needs more than one billion in personal wealth and assets. You can argue that Amazon or other businesses are so immense that they might need a trillion income to pay their outgoings, but nobody can realistically spend more than a billion in their lifetime on themself. The only things you could in theory spend a billion on are overpriced and exist at that price only because there are people who have more than a billion to spend.

Once they reach a billion we could keep congratulating them on making so much money for the country they live in and all of the charity / philanthropic causes they are earning for. Maybe publish a special magazine and TV station just for that lot so they can keep up with each others special lives etc. A narcissistic desire for approval seems to be a big thing among the turborich.

They can get creative with the accounting and list purchases under self employed business rebates and so on, but they cannot horde more than a billion. That way the challenge in being rich is in spending their money creatively rather than hording it creatively, which at least keeps it moving through the economy and would trickle down to other people.

People seem more willing to entertain this idea after having had it explained to them how big a billion is. I think it was one of the This Machine Kills hosts who was saying on a recent TF show that they'd been going through a bunch of finance stuff and had to adjust their money scale up to billions and trillions, so when they went back to local government stuff in the hundreds and thousands it all seemed like nothing.

I don't think most people can really conceptualise how big these numbers are. My maths is absolutely horrible so please correct me, but if the average UK house price is £250k;

£1 million would buy 4 houses,
£1 billion would buy 4,000 houses

Even then I don't think most people's brains can visualise exactly how much bigger 4,000 houses is, even if you showed them a photo of a housing estate with near as damnit 4k houses in it I don't think people's brains would really wrap around it.

It's like if you say 'this guy has a billion,' people understand that as a lot. But if you say 'this other guy has 3 billion' they seem to focus on the 3 rather than the billion and it 'feels' like oh, he only has 2 more which is a 'small' amount.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YUWDrLazCg

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm sure this has already been posted elsewhere on the forum, but the economist has done a video on far-right extremism and i thought it might be an interesting watch for thread regulars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjDAXUDXsHY

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I regret to inform you all that Jeremy Corbyn has been found guilty of antisemitism by proximity again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Seems like it would be difficult to avoid if you're in london at the moment.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

HopperUK posted:

UKMT eat the eggs.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
My friend's family boil their eggs in a kettle when they make the tea/coffee.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Ok this I think is grounds for deportation to somewhere, I don't know where, but I am not comfortable sharing a planet with someone who does this.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

happyhippy posted:

This sounds sensible and efficient. As long as the kettle has a good filter.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I heard that sometimes in hotels people will boil their dirty underwear in the room kettle to wash them

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

happyhippy posted:

i do like a cuppa with just a hint of cloacal gel

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

HopperUK posted:

I'm cross because my 2nd vaccine appointment got moved up and now I'm feeling lovely *and* I have to go to work tomorrow. I'd booked holiday time after the day I *thought* it was going to happen. Blagh.

If you have an adverse reaction to your second dose, don't use your annual leave. That is the definition of a sick day.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I've used holiday for the day after my first vaccine, and will do again for the second, because making sure cover is arranged beforehand is a lot more convenient. We've also had some of our unused holiday from last year due to all the furlough rolled over to this year so I've got loads anyway.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

kecske posted:

I heard that sometimes in hotels people will boil their dirty underwear in the room kettle to wash them

Why wouldn't they just use the sink or something? Its not like a washing machine boils the clothes?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

I good comparison (that I probably saw here) was
1 million seconds is 11 days from now, 1 billion seconds is 31 years

This as well, but it takes a while to get through.
https://mkorostoff.github.io/1-pixel-wealth/

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

stev posted:

This sounds sensible and efficient. As long as the kettle has a good filter.

mediaphage posted:

i do like a cuppa with just a hint of cloacal gel

I only found out when there was white thin streaks in my coffee when I was there.
Turned out to be a cracked egg that leaked.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Last year I had an ant infestation that took days to sort out, this years incursion took half an hour.

They really seem to hate essential oils, so I forced them into retreat with a creeping barrage of Oust then dumped half a bottle of olbas oil on the floor, mopped the room, and jammed the entrances with little olbas soaked cotton balls. Fastest I've ever dealt with them, and smells much nicer than the vinegar/cinnamon mix I used last year (ymmv)

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
If your crumpets ect. are stuck in the toaster you just have to slam the spring handle up and down with one hand and swat the crumpets out of the air with the other when they pop out the top.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/ProgressOnline/status/1393890252096475137?s=19

What the gently caress does the U stand for, Stella?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bobby Deluxe posted:

A while ago someone in this thread had the idea of making it so that once you reach a billion in personal wealth, you give them a big ceremony and a badge or special hat or something, and then anything over 1 billion they make is taxed at 100%.

Nobody needs more than one billion in personal wealth and assets. You can argue that Amazon or other businesses are so immense that they might need a trillion income to pay their outgoings, but nobody can realistically spend more than a billion in their lifetime on themself. The only things you could in theory spend a billion on are overpriced and exist at that price only because there are people who have more than a billion to spend.

Once they reach a billion we could keep congratulating them on making so much money for the country they live in and all of the charity / philanthropic causes they are earning for. Maybe publish a special magazine and TV station just for that lot so they can keep up with each others special lives etc. A narcissistic desire for approval seems to be a big thing among the turborich.

They can get creative with the accounting and list purchases under self employed business rebates and so on, but they cannot horde more than a billion. That way the challenge in being rich is in spending their money creatively rather than hording it creatively, which at least keeps it moving through the economy and would trickle down to other people.

People seem more willing to entertain this idea after having had it explained to them how big a billion is. I think it was one of the This Machine Kills hosts who was saying on a recent TF show that they'd been going through a bunch of finance stuff and had to adjust their money scale up to billions and trillions, so when they went back to local government stuff in the hundreds and thousands it all seemed like nothing.

I don't think most people can really conceptualise how big these numbers are. My maths is absolutely horrible so please correct me, but if the average UK house price is £250k;

£1 million would buy 4 houses,
£1 billion would buy 4,000 houses

Even then I don't think most people's brains can visualise exactly how much bigger 4,000 houses is, even if you showed them a photo of a housing estate with near as damnit 4k houses in it I don't think people's brains would really wrap around it.

It's like if you say 'this guy has a billion,' people understand that as a lot. But if you say 'this other guy has 3 billion' they seem to focus on the 3 rather than the billion and it 'feels' like oh, he only has 2 more which is a 'small' amount.

Power and the wanton exercise of that power to dominate other people appears to be a major motivation for the sorts of people who seek unimaginable riches.

Even lower level management types exhibit this when they insist on bringing everybody back from remote work asap and continuing to cram everybody into open offices despite the fact that both of those things are proven to tank workers' output and therefore cost a company more than it saves.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
They have the power to keep the badge and dodge the 100% tax. If they didn't, someone else would have the money already.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Pictures of kier starmer playing football lol. Not doing him any favours.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Vagabong posted:

If your crumpets ect. are stuck in the toaster you just have to slam the spring handle up and down with one hand and swat the crumpets out of the air with the other when they pop out the top.

Do it with the flat of a ready-buttered knife to save time.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
something is far too horny about this

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

I only found out when there was white thin streaks in my coffee when I was there.
Turned out to be a cracked egg that leaked.

TBH if that's the only streaks of white protein you encounter in a hotel room that counts as a win.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I keep thinking meghan mc cain is that weirdo who wrote the book about doing blood rites with her english translation of the torah because she loves israel that much but that was someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

"need isnt geographical and people need help everywhere, so I propose we offer help on a geographical basis". What's wrong with these people?