Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Atlus used to publish so much wild stuff. Kind of weird to think of sometimes.

Ogre battle 64, anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They still publish wild stuff, like 13 sentinels

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Huh if you get it without the DLC does it mean it's fully the non Maniax version? I kinda wanna see how weird the game would be without the additions in Maniax

It would kind of have to be as without either one you're not going to be able to do Amala stuff.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What a tragedy, I won't be killed by Raidou on his first turn before I can do anything, and after I did that whole stupid tag puzzle on the Third Kalpa.

It will suck not being able to buy a demon with all he field abilities, though....

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Any impressions on how this runs on switch? It’s a 20 year old game so I’d hope well but who knows these days

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Any impressions on how this runs on switch? It’s a 20 year old game so I’d hope well but who knows these days

It used to be quite bad, it's now..not perfect but better. The menu lag is pretty much gone but some areas (and battle loads) still chunk a little bit here and there.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Ohtsam posted:

I’m really curious what they’re going to do for any future etrian games. Just keep the aesthetics and battle design and for exploration just make it all auto map all the time?

If I had to guess, certain things will be automatic, but there will be a lot more opening a map menu and placing objects, notes and markers on it, things that were pretty optional in the 3DS games compared to drawing walls and poo poo, but will be the main focus of customizing your map here.

There might be some optional touch screen stuff for people who really want to go old school in handheld mode.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zinkraptor posted:

I figured it was something like that. I thought it was odd they'd do it for the steam version and not the PS4/Switch versions, but I assume Steam works differently in terms of cross-region selling.

My guess was that VPNs being commonplace on PCs meant that they had to go for a different strategy.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Nocturne comes out on PC next weekend!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gonna wait for a sale because lol at paying full price for this.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gonna wait for a sale because lol at paying full price for this.

I'd pay $100 easily. It's my fav Atlus game by far.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Except Raidou I just don't see what you get for the Dosh. I already own the drat thing why would I pay again for no new content

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

My PS2’s having issues reading my copy of Nocturne so I’ll gladly pay for a functioning version of the game. :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Suspend saves. And manual inheritance. 'Nuff said.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Suspend saves. And manual inheritance. 'Nuff said.

Oh yeah I totally forgot about manual inheritance. Even more excited now.

What is suspend saves, though?

Philthy posted:

Nocturne comes out on PC next weekend!

I paid for the Digital Deluxe and Google said I'm supposed to get early access on May 21st so that better happen.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The whole quicksave while the gamesleeps thing instead of hauling your rear end to a terminal

ChaosArgate posted:

My PS2’s having issues reading my copy of Nocturne so I’ll gladly pay for a functioning version of the game. :v:

I feel you. Three PS2's all of 'em broken. Luckily PCSX2 is here to save my life

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i've never played nocturne and apparently a lot of the launch issues got fixed up, so i'm excited to be able to play it finally, especially portable :)

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Oh yeah I totally forgot about manual inheritance. Even more excited now.

What is suspend saves, though?

Quicksave anywhere.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

The whole quicksave while the gamesleeps thing instead of hauling your rear end to a terminal

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Quicksave anywhere.

Ah, this is indeed very good. Thanks for the info.

I think I just mentioned it like a page ago or something but Save Anywhere is simple good sense. Those people who complain about difficulty levels are dumb but people who complain about save anywhere making the games too easy are especially dumb. If your power goes out after doing a huge rear end dungeon? Too loving bad, that's clearly "part of the challenge."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Ah, this is indeed very good. Thanks for the info.

I think I just mentioned it like a page ago or something but Save Anywhere is simple good sense. Those people who complain about difficulty levels are dumb but people who complain about save anywhere making the games too easy are especially dumb. If your power goes out after doing a huge rear end dungeon? Too loving bad, that's clearly "part of the challenge."

To be clear this isn't Save Anywhere. It's suspend. You can turn off the game anywhere but it deletes your suspend save once you start again.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Probably for the best, save anywhere would make the game difficulty all topsy turvy

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The PSX emu allowed you to save anywhere and it doesn't really do anything about difficulty. What it does is remove a LOT of the tedium when you lose some tough battles. You can jump right back into before you started instead of having to clear a dungeon over again for another shot.

I guess you could cheese it by making multiple save states DURING a battle, but that's not what was happening here.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

The DVD drive in the PS2 is well documented as basically disintegrating into dust as it ages. It can be replaced, but it's not at all an easy repair and requires some advance soldering skills. So this is a way better alternative is what i'm trying to say. :v:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I said come in! posted:

The DVD drive in the PS2 is well documented as basically disintegrating into dust as it ages. It can be replaced, but it's not at all an easy repair and requires some advance soldering skills. So this is a way better alternative is what i'm trying to say. :v:

The lens (at least in the slim) is really easy to replace, I just did it a couple months ago and it doesn’t require any soldering except to remove a little blob of solder on one of the contacts on the replacement lens

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The lens (at least in the slim) is really easy to replace, I just did it a couple months ago and it doesn’t require any soldering except to remove a little blob of solder on one of the contacts on the replacement lens

A Youtube video I watched recently made it seem more complicated then that, but maybe I interpreted the steps as being very complicated because I don't have any experience with soldering myself. :v:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I said come in! posted:

A Youtube video I watched recently made it seem more complicated then that, but maybe I interpreted the steps as being very complicated because I don't have any experience with soldering myself. :v:

Yeah you basically need to just heat up a soldering gun to melt and suck up the little blobby. The lenses are like $10 on eBay too. I have very very little soldering/modding experience and I was able to do it no problem :)

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Philthy posted:

The PSX emu allowed you to save anywhere and it doesn't really do anything about difficulty. What it does is remove a LOT of the tedium when you lose some tough battles. You can jump right back into before you started instead of having to clear a dungeon over again for another shot.

I guess you could cheese it by making multiple save states DURING a battle, but that's not what was happening here.

Persona 2 allowed you to save in a place that wasn't in combat or a timed sequence, though because it was on a psx memory card you could only have like 3 saves. Didn't gently caress up the difficulty either, but as you say makes the game a lot less frustrating and tedious.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How to explain this. I think people here are only considering the battles in SMT as being the gameplay and the exploration as being a task. If you view the games as a dungeon crawler then save anywhere is very impacting towards the difficulty.

Exploring a dungeon then hitting a locked door with a boss behind it, with save everywhere you can save quick, check out what the battle is, and then hit your head up against it until you win.

Encountering the same when you've got a save a dungeon away at a terminal changes the mental calculus you use to determine if the fight is worth taking. Do you push your luck? Use items to top yourself off? Go back to a healing spring knowing the path through the dungeon now?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Gaius Marius posted:

How to explain this. I think people here are only considering the battles in SMT as being the gameplay and the exploration as being a task. If you view the games as a dungeon crawler then save anywhere is very impacting towards the difficulty.

Exploring a dungeon then hitting a locked door with a boss behind it, with save everywhere you can save quick, check out what the battle is, and then hit your head up against it until you win.

Encountering the same when you've got a save a dungeon away at a terminal changes the mental calculus you use to determine if the fight is worth taking. Do you push your luck? Use items to top yourself off? Go back to a healing spring knowing the path through the dungeon now?

I'd say that Save anywhere actually makes boss battles better, because a lot of RPGs have real problems with not giving you any pre battle information, so that you can't prepare unless you fight and lose to the boss. So by letting you save before the boss you can check it out and prepare without losing a lot of progress. I often find that the exploration is the core game and random encounters are the task you have to do. But exploration doesn't really work if you have to do it a second time in quick succession, because it's solved and you remember what is where.

And just because you can save anywhere doesn't mean that you can replenish resources anywhere, so there is still reasons to backtrack. That's not even touching stuf like saving anywhere making it easier to take a break, if neccesary and other QoL stuff.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The calculus doesn't really hold up in a game where random encounters often get to act first and will happily wipe the floor with you before you get a turn.

e: at least on hard

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hel posted:

I'd say that Save anywhere actually makes boss battles better, because a lot of RPGs have real problems with not giving you any pre battle information, so that you can't prepare unless you fight and lose to the boss. So by letting you save before the boss you can check it out and prepare without losing a lot of progress. I often find that the exploration is the core game and random encounters are the task you have to do. But exploration doesn't really work if you have to do it a second time in quick succession, because it's solved and you remember what is where.
The problem I would see with that is that fighting a battle with knowledge of it's weakness and one where you go in blind are separate fights. Going into Matador with some random guys you could scrape out a win by shifting around your demons, or burning some rare items. Or get owned. Knowing his routine though you can go back and make a tailored team just to own him. If you save before the door and put yourself into the mentality that this one is a toss off before you go in your style of play changes accordingly.

Like Mr.Puzzle says you can never unlearn a puzzle solution. That first time fighting a Boss before you know it's deal is special and if you're gonna lose an hour of progress fighting it your much more likely to give it your all and burn any resource to pull out an unlikely win.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

lets hang out posted:

The calculus doesn't really hold up in a game where random encounters often get to act first and will happily wipe the floor with you before you get a turn.

e: at least on hard

I love how the "tutorial" in Nocturne can kill you if the enemies get a random crit. You get to do the whole opening again!

Also you can still get random encounters before you run into Matador. If you're really unlucky you might get two or three battles before the boss fight, and there is no running from battles in Nocturne on Hard unless you have a Smoke Ball. The Underpass is also one of the hardest dungeons in the game, IMO.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Your Pixie get's Trafuri as it's last skill when it becomes high pixie. Right before the underpass you get access to Rag's shop right before the dungeon which sells the Smoke Balls. The planned to allow you to reconnoiter the dungeon before you do a boss run.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Your Pixie get's Trafuri as it's last skill when it becomes high pixie. Right before the underpass you get access to Rag's shop right before the dungeon which sells the Smoke Balls. The planned to allow you to reconnoiter the dungeon before you do a boss run.

Fair point about Trafuri.... I don't remember what I did with High Pixie or it.

edit:

Nvm, I'm dumb. I forgot about the Jewelry guy, not Macca. Although I was never good at finding jewels and I doubt I had 1 Onyx + 1 Aquamarine at the time. I guess we'll see in a week, huh.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 17, 2021

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I want to get Nocturne, but I still can't decide between Switch and PC :negative:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'll get it when it's not £45 for a PS2 game lol

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Andrigaar posted:

I want to get Nocturne, but I still can't decide between Switch and PC :negative:

Wouldn’t it really depend on two factors?

1. Do you want to let Atlus know you want their games on the switch? (This question goes for PC as well so weigh which option is more important)

And/or

2. Do you want to take it on the go?

Also if recent track records with Atlus launches steam versions seemed to be a little buggy at launch (infinite load screens for Strikers for instance). However I haven’t heard much about it since so it’s probably long rectified.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I didn't think of it this way but maybe my buying Nocturne HD will convince them to continue doing more and more SMT Steam ports.

It's a long road to getting them to port SMTIVA, DeSu 1/2, and SJR to Steam. Rescue them from a dead console like with P4G. Of course, I doubt any of these games would sell as well as P4G or Nocturne but I can still hope.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
We're in a pandemic still, so for me it currently boils down to "Do you want to play Nocturne on the toilet or not?"

And I haven't decided yet. Especially since I want all of the viable games published on both platforms, :hmmyes: per your first bullet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Turn based RPGs are made for playing in bed