Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Kurt Angle's initial run was super patriotic American and also a heel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The DX Band turned heel at WMXIV by singing, if you could even call it that, the American national anthem.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

The DX Band turned heel at WMXIV by singing, if you could even call it that, the American national anthem.

An alternative, new wave rendition no less!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Depending on what you consider "patriotic", there's the aforementioned early Kurt Angle run and most of Jack Swagger's WWE run. He debuted in ECW as "The All-American All-American" in 2008, which you could argue was more of a jock bully gimmick than a 'patriot' gimmick but it was definitely a heel wrapped in rah-rah Americana. That continued into him moving to the main roster and winning Money in the Bank/cashing in on Jericho, and having a Soaring Eagle mascot/lackey.

The Zeb Colter/We The People/Real Americans stuff didn't come along until 2014, which is (to my memory) the character shifted from "rear end in a top hat who happens to be American and brags about being All-American" to "explicitly racist/xenophobic". On that level, JBL's Millionaire Cowboy stuff when he was in the main event was pretty "patriotic" in terms of American Exceptionalism/racism being baked into his gimmick, that's probably the other big one of the past twenty years. Both JBL and Swagger's anti-immigration/USA #1 stuff was meant to be a heel gimmick, to be clear.

This isn't including like Florida Brothers or Sam Adonis or any sort of Pro-USA gimmick being done outside of the United States, obviously.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Do we have any real details on the Lloyd’s of London contracts Rude, Henning, etc had and what the stipulations were for injury payouts? How could Henning have collected it but still come back but Rude couldn’t?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I loved his beef with Sheamus started when Sheamus said "strength isn't everything." Of course that would set Henry off.

And this is one of many reasons why I can't hate Sheamus.

Vagabundo posted:

I honestly believe that national anthem would be better in general if at the end the person/people singing it had to shout "A-MEH-RIH-CUH" over and over like Chris Warren did.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Nystral posted:

Do we have any real details on the Lloyd’s of London contracts Rude, Henning, etc had and what the stipulations were for injury payouts? How could Henning have collected it but still come back but Rude couldn’t?

As far as I know, Hennig's injury wasn't actually career ending but he cashed in on the policy anyway. That went out the window when WWF booked a storyline that led to possible Perfect/HHH match that was never going to actually happen but was just a storyline beat.

From what I've read, Lloyd's thought he was actually wrestling again and ended his policy, and then Henning was able to get a big contract from WCW to wrestle again.

For Rude, I think his injury was an actual career ender which is why he never wrestled again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ganso Bomb posted:

As far as I know, Hennig's injury wasn't actually career ending but he cashed in on the policy anyway. That went out the window when WWF booked a storyline that led to possible Perfect/HHH match that was never going to actually happen but was just a storyline beat.

From what I've read, Lloyd's thought he was actually wrestling again and ended his policy, and then Henning was able to get a big contract from WCW to wrestle again.

Apparently they didn't just think it but Bruce Pritchard "accidentally" stooged to Lloyd's that Hennig was going to wrestle again.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Dawgstar posted:

Apparently they didn't just think it but Bruce Pritchard "accidentally" stooged to Lloyd's that Hennig was going to wrestle again.

What a fuckin' worm.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

a cyborg mug posted:

Talk of Cody’s promo made me think. Have there been any ”patriotic American” gimmicks that were explicitly heel? I can think of, well uh, that Jack Swagger gimmick where they were very racist? Or something? But I don’t know if that was a heel thing.

there was that guy who wrestled as The Progressive Liberal or something whose gimmick was huge hillary clinton fan ~2015-6

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

For Rude, I think his injury was an actual career ender which is why he never wrestled again.

Rude was supposedly getting ready for a comeback when he passed.

There was also talk that his storyline where he was trying to get Shane Douglas to he the best champ possible was supposed to end with Rude as the final exam, so to speak.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Rude was supposedly getting ready for a comeback when he passed.

There was also talk that his storyline where he was trying to get Shane Douglas to he the best champ possible was supposed to end with Rude as the final exam, so to speak.

Man, a Rude comeback would have been so loving good. It's such a shame he had to hang it up so early.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Rude and Hennig were such a good act, they really didn't need to be a part of the NWO.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Rude and Hennig were such a good act, they really didn't need to be a part of the NWO.

Pretty much everyone got into the nWo at one point, except for Goldberg and DDP. Hell, even Sting joined nWo Wolfpac.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I disagree, Rude could still talk but didn't talk a ton and wasn't as good talking for someone else. Hennig was a shell of himself and pretty boring as a wrestler.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

saffi faildotter posted:

there was that guy who wrestled as The Progressive Liberal or something whose gimmick was huge hillary clinton fan ~2015-6

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Managed by Beau James. God awful act. Also very funny as Beau clearly thought it was his ticket to stardom.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

rujasu posted:

Like, the entire point of a promo in wrestling is to trash talk your opponent. Rock was just extremely good at it. And I wouldn't say he damaged anyone's career with a promo. Maybe Billy Gunn, but he was already doing a pretty good job of not getting over on his own.
Edge's promo murdered Billy Gunn far more than The Rock ever did. I still associate it with him to this day simply by using his name as a verb.

https://streamable.com/8vrt9

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Thanks for the patriotic heel gimmick answers. Yeah, it just feels like ”rah rah America #1!” is always used as a cheap face trick (and is pretty laughable from a non-American point of view), so I started wondering if anyone’d done it in the USA as a bad guy. JBL is an interesting shout, I honestly can’t remember what he talked about in promos

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the Rougeau Brothers started waving around little American flags and chanting USA ironically around the end of their WWF run

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
The Rougeau Brothers' "USA!" gimmick also gave us a top tier theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSBZqo-YatI

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nick Jr. Face posted:

The Rougeau Brothers' "USA!" gimmick also gave us a top tier theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSBZqo-YatI

Some of Jimmy Hart's finest work.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

Managed by Beau James. God awful act. Also very funny as Beau clearly thought it was his ticket to stardom.
I can assure you he didn't. And he wasn't managing Dan's career, either.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Some of Jimmy Hart's finest work.

His talents were custom built for pro wrestling.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

I can assure you he didn't. And he wasn't managing Dan's career, either.

He was so thirsty for media appearances off that gimmick, please don't tell me he didn't think it was going to be big. Same kind of mentality Mancow or the Greaseman had after a shock jock got fired.

The Vice segment description is the funniest poo poo.

quote:

Richards’s mentor, Beau James, a kind of Yoda of pro wrestling, explained how wrestlers craft a narrative and then tell the story with their bodies. The next day the duo put it all together in a Friday night fight in Campton, Kentucky.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The offensive part of Richards act was telling people that Hillary Clinton was going to bring a Green New Deal to Appalachia.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

He was so thirsty for media appearances off that gimmick, please don't tell me he didn't think it was going to be big. Same kind of mentality Mancow or the Greaseman had after a shock jock got fired.

The Vice segment description is the funniest poo poo.
...they went to Beau. Because he was primarily working for Beau. It was very obviously something was a short shelf life and he was aware of that.

Literally in the middle of all this, Bryan Idol booked Dan/Progressive Liberal for one of his FTW shows that he'd run in front of tiny crowds at La Boom the day of Evolve shows that WWN would use his promoter's license for. Beau knew it was a tiny promotion and that the booking would mean nothing for Dan's career. Dan did not and was shocked that a promotion in NYC that would bother bringing him in would be one that didn't draw at all/existed largely to get reps for the FTW students.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

...they went to Beau. Because he was primarily working for Beau. It was very obviously something was a short shelf life and he was aware of that.

Literally in the middle of all this, Bryan Idol booked Dan/Progressive Liberal for one of his FTW shows that he'd run in front of tiny crowds at La Boom the day of Evolve shows that WWN would use his promoter's license for. Beau knew it was a tiny promotion and that the booking would mean nothing for Dan's career. Dan did not and was shocked that a promotion in NYC that would bother bringing him in would be one that didn't draw at all/existed largely to get reps for the FTW students.

Of course they came to him, that's exactly what happens with Mancow and the Greaseman. But random media outlets aren't deciding Beau is the Yoda of wrestling and several other incredibly funny self congratulatory descriptions for Beau and his relationship to The Progressive Liberal. Like come on, you can tell the guy was incredibly thirsty for the tiniest bit of attention and tried to make a big deal of it.

quote:

“Our lives changed in an hour,” said James. “I’m on the phone with every major network in the country.”

Don't get worked. Beau thought this was big time poo poo and did interviews for over a year how he was a revered figure. He thought he could do something off of it. He's always slinging bullshit. Like how he had to scale back SSW because he was so busy managing the Progressive Liberal. But SSW was getting scaled back long before that because they kept having to cancel shows and would just repeat TV. He constantly lies and tries to self aggrandize.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 17, 2021

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

Of course they came to him, that's exactly what happens with Mancow and the Greaseman. But random media outlets aren't deciding Beau is the Yoda of wrestling and several other incredibly funny self congratulatory descriptions for Beau and his relationship to The Progressive Liberal. Like come on, you can tell the guy was incredibly thirsty for the tiniest bit of attention and tried to make a big deal of it.

Don't get worked. Beau thought this was big time poo poo and did interviews for over a year how he was a revered figure. He thought he could do something off of it. He's always slinging bullshit. Like how he had to scale back SSW because he was so busy managing the Progressive Liberal. But SSW was getting scaled back long before that because they kept having to cancel shows and would just repeat TV. He constantly lies and tries to self aggrandize.
When did he say that he had to scale back SSW because of "managing" Dan? Wasn't that also around the time he became more involved in AMW with Stan Lee?

I don't really see the point in bringing up the quote about all of those major news outlets calling, either, because it was completely true. Peak Progressive Liberal hit pretty quickly in terms of there being news stories everywhere; it wasn't the slow drip of stories on the MAGA-adjacent gimmicks in Mexico that went on for years.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

HHH would make faces look like complete fools regularly.

Reminder Steve Austin took a blanket and pillow to snore during Lance Storm matches.

Also he made Booker T look like a moron as he repeatedly destroyed him throughout a comedy match in a grocery store. A lot of people love it, but that 'match' has always bothered me, and just serves as a picture of how Booker was treated by the WWF/E.

Didn't Austin also treat Tazz like a jobber more than once?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

When did he say that he had to scale back SSW because of "managing" Dan? Wasn't that also around the time he became more involved in AMW with Stan Lee?

I don't really see the point in bringing up the quote about all of those major news outlets calling, either, because it was completely true. Peak Progressive Liberal hit pretty quickly in terms of there being news stories everywhere; it wasn't the slow drip of stories on the MAGA-adjacent gimmicks in Mexico that went on for years.

"Our lives changed in an hour." This does not jive with "he knew it had a short shelf life." If you know it has a short shelf life you don't say "our lives changed" because it will make you look stupid in a few months when your lives have not changed. As for the SSW, it's in the SSW Wikipedia which is one of the most obviously "written or dictated by the wrestler" wikipedias in all of wrestler written wikipedias. Only Joe E Legend's entry really tops it. Or topped it, I think that got re-edited.

And they did interviews for for over a year. Beau really badly wanted to position himself as this sage like wrestling thought leader and it failed spectacularly. SSW had been failing badly for a couple years at this point and he decided to cover that by acting like the Progressive Liberal was taking up all of his time, only for that to flame out.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Red posted:

Reminder Steve Austin took a blanket and pillow to snore during Lance Storm matches.

Also he made Booker T look like a moron as he repeatedly destroyed him throughout a comedy match in a grocery store. A lot of people love it, but that 'match' has always bothered me, and just serves as a picture of how Booker was treated by the WWF/E.

Didn't Austin also treat Tazz like a jobber more than once?
Those are all kind of different situations than Prime Triple H.

The Lance Storm thing sucked, but Austin was a babyface telling a heel he's boring, and it was less "Austin deciding to bury Lance in a promo" and more a dumb angle they set up to make Lance turn face as a dancing idiot with Goldust. Again, it sucked but it wasn't Austin working within an actual feud to bury his opponent.

Austin was a face in the Booker T feud at the grocery store too, and it was a comedy match. You can not like comedy matches, but "heel looks like an idiot in a comedy match" is both non-unique and generally is in an entirely different galaxy than Triple H telling a babyface that "his people" aren't good enough to win the world title and then beating them incredibly clean in a Wrestlemania main event.

The only one of these where Austin was a heel treating someone like a jobber you mentioned was Tazz, who by the time of the Invasion was clearly winding down his in-ring career and transitioning out to announcing, and they were doing everything they could to keep people booing Austin as the main heel on the WCW/ECW side. I don't think that at any point there was the impression that Austin was trying to cut the legs out from Tazz's main event push.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

"Our lives changed in an hour." This does not jive with "he knew it had a short shelf life." If you know it has a short shelf life you don't say "our lives changed" because it will make you look stupid in a few months when your lives have not changed.
...because he was suddenly talking to national and international mainstream media constantly. Especially since, as we'll get into in a moment, the vast majority of the stories were published in a matter of weeks.

quote:

As for the SSW, it's in the SSW Wikipedia which is one of the most obviously "written or dictated by the wrestler" wikipedias in all of wrestler written wikipedias. Only Joe E Legend's entry really tops it. Or topped it, I think that got re-edited.
*looks*

Quite possibly, but the specificity of Beau typing out Wiki-code to make tables for the historical SSW roster isn't exactly something that sounds like him. Maybe doing the bulk and then some random editor formatting it? But the IP address of the user who first published the entry and did a bunch of the initial updates resolves to Austin, Texas, so that's unlikely to be him.

Also: Brimstone is the undisputed king of "written or dictated by the wrestler" Wikipedia pages and it's not really close.

quote:

And they did interviews for for over a year. Beau really badly wanted to position himself as this sage like wrestling thought leader and it failed spectacularly. SSW had been failing badly for a couple years at this point and he decided to cover that by acting like the Progressive Liberal was taking up all of his time, only for that to flame out.
If you do a Google search for Dan Richards, Progressive Liberal, and Beau James with each name in quotes, the overwhelming majority of mainstream articles are from June-July 2017, with the only exceptions being stories at The Ringer (September, which makes sense to have a slower turnaround since it's a piece of feature writing) and the L.A. Times (November 2018, and also a feature, but seemingly held back with the specific series it was run as part of in mind, as, if Cagematch's AMW results are complete, the interviews were most likely conducted in July 2017, since that was the last time they ran in Hazard).

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Austin did bury Jeff Jarrett twice, which is hilarious.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

...because he was suddenly talking to national and international mainstream media constantly. Especially since, as we'll get into in a moment, the vast majority of the stories were published in a matter of weeks.

*looks*

Quite possibly, but the specificity of Beau typing out Wiki-code to make tables for the historical SSW roster isn't exactly something that sounds like him. Maybe doing the bulk and then some random editor formatting it? But the IP address of the user who first published the entry and did a bunch of the initial updates resolves to Austin, Texas, so that's unlikely to be him.

Also: Brimstone is the undisputed king of "written or dictated by the wrestler" Wikipedia pages and it's not really close.

If you do a Google search for Dan Richards, Progressive Liberal, and Beau James with each name in quotes, the overwhelming majority of mainstream articles are from June-July 2017, with the only exceptions being stories at The Ringer (September, which makes sense to have a slower turnaround since it's a piece of feature writing) and the L.A. Times (November 2018, and also a feature, but seemingly held back with the specific series it was run as part of in mind, as, if Cagematch's AMW results are complete, the interviews were most likely conducted in July 2017, since that was the last time they ran in Hazard).

There's pieces that include Beau in the fall of 17 as well. Yes, the first flurry has most of the pieces, but they keep doing them and keep trying to make Beau out as a Yoda, a sage, a sensei, etc. It's funny stuff.

quote:

James, who has known Harnsberger since shortly after he started wandering into matches while attending Concord University in Athens, http://w.va. is something akin to the Liberal’s strict wrestling sensei.

This is a case where it not only quacks like a duck with the content of the interviews, it jives with what is said about SSW at the time, and what he himself is quoted as saying. He is saying it is life changing. Put in with the context of everything else he is not just saying "I am very busy because of these interviews." Beau is not a smooth operator. He's a shithead who brags about assaulting people in the ring and other rear end in a top hat moves. You can take him at his word and the self promotion in these articles that he thought it was a big deal, no matter how he may have tried to spin it after.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I fail to understand why he shouldn't have milked this for all it was worth.

These stories ALWAYS inflate everyone's importance. Remember all of the R.J. Brewer stuff? At least Brian Cage and Sam Adonis were major promotion headliners. Brewer was just a dude that was plugged into American indie lucha shows.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 17, 2021

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

With Rey and Dominik winning, it's been touted as "first ever father and son tag team champions!" by WWE. So of course there will multiple examples of this having already happened in the past. Can anyone name any examples?

Real family only; bonus points if it's happened in WWE.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

No examples from WWE as far as I know.

Gory Guerrero and Chavo Guerrero Sr held the NWA Americas tag team championships in the 1970s. Tommy and Eddie Gilbert held a bunch of different titles together.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

There was a brief moment where Rick Steiner was the WCW tag team champions by himself, and while he eventually picked Kenny Kaos as his partner to hold them, Rick Steiner did have some very young sons in 1999 and could have chosen one of them as his co-champion. Kurt Angle likewise had an infant son when he was TNA tag team champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Didn't Bullet Bob Armstrong and Road Dogg win the tag titles in TNA/Impact at some point?