Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hel posted:

The reason Nintendo is winning is because their fans are ok with whatever they do. No one else gets away with releasing two almost identical games, like Pokémon. Capcom tried with MMBN and that got complaints, everyone else just puts multiple paths in the same game.

Pokémon gets by because they did it first and there's a positive purpose to it in encouraging kids to socialize and trade/battle pokémon with each-other. Other games tend to fumble it and either put too much or too little behind separate versions, and their lesser popularity just make the gimmick a hindrance rather than interesting. The odds of meeting another kid with an MMBN game, let alone the specific version you want to trade with AND having the chips/cards you want, are probably zero compared to them having Pokemon Black and a spare Cottonee looking to trade for something from your White cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pokémon gets by because they did it first and there's a positive purpose to it in encouraging kids to socialize and trade/battle pokémon with each-other. Other games tend to fumble it and either put too much or too little behind separate versions, and their lesser popularity just make the gimmick a hindrance rather than interesting. The odds of meeting another kid with an MMBN game, let alone the specific version you want to trade with AND having the chips/cards you want, are probably zero compared to them having Pokemon Black and a spare Cottonee looking to trade for something from your White cart.

And why is OK to have those be seperate versions, rather than different paths or something in the same game? Why is it OK for the big company to do poo poo like this, isn't this just abusing their market position? You can encourage trading without double dipping on SKUs.
I'm not saying it should be ok for others to do stuff like this , I'm saying it shouldn't be for Nintendo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not going to blame Nintendo for people who have brainworms that insist on buying both versions of a pokemon game for some godforsaken reason

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Hel posted:

And why is OK to have those be seperate versions, rather than different paths or something in the same game? Why is it OK for the big company to do poo poo like this, isn't this just abusing their market position? You can encourage trading without double dipping on SKUs.
I'm not saying it should be ok for others to do stuff like this , I'm saying it shouldn't be for Nintendo.

This. All of this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hel posted:

Why is it okay to encourage kids to socialize and make friends over a common hobby? :confused:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ever since Pokemon introduced online trading it has been easier than ever to get all of the pokemon, if you so desire.

And heck if they rebooted MMBN and put online trading in then having different versions would be fine too.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Yardbomb posted:

...and when you get damaged your clothes start disintegrating, so it wasn't bad enough with the first part, had to make her this gross uwu noooo monsters don't explode my clothes off spankbait target as well.

Not specific to PE3, but you'd think as a gameplay mechanic it would be the other way around. The better you are at the game, the less clothes your character would have, and the more you get hit, the more clothes your character wears.

EDIT: wait, I think I'm describing Dark Souls

Solar Tornado fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 16, 2021

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
like its fun and neat that theres 2 variations I don't understand the problem at all its not like theres a good reason to buy both of them?

Remember that one 3DS fire emblem that was like three games for some reason lol?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr Phillby posted:

like its fun and neat that theres 2 variations I don't understand the problem at all its not like theres a good reason to buy both of them?

Remember that one 3DS fire emblem that was like three games for some reason lol?

That was almost certainly a means to deal with cartridge sizes as much as anything.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

DNF got out of control because it was entirely self-funded so there was no publisher giving then deadlines. It was only when they pissed away all the Duke 3D and engine licensing money that they had to get someone to fund them which put the boot down.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Other M is the easy target, but I maintain Fusion laid a lot of the groundwork that led directly to it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Quick reminder that Kim did the (imo) definitive autopsy on DNF's development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfV4rI_gR1g

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

*cough*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfV4rI_gR1g

The worst thing is comments from people who not only think that slapping alien tits on a wall is hot but that you are a prude and easily offended snowflake for not thinking the same or that DNF isn't the legit funniest game in the universe.

But yes, it's the very definition of featurecreep and one man in particular spinning completely out of control to the point where it was down to one of gaming's biggest morons to save* the drat thing.

*shove out what was there irregardless of quality and whether it worked or not

EDIT: Beaten on my own video, lol

Speaking of great PC gaming disasters, I have a 70-minute video on Jurassic Park: Trespasser coming tomorrow. Thankfully the people who made it aren't as awful, although it does feature a lot of looking at breasts.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 16, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

John Murdoch posted:

Other M is the easy target, but I maintain Fusion laid a lot of the groundwork that led directly to it.

I'd say it's more the antithesis of it; Samus haaaates having an AI handler and tries to circumvent Adam at every opportunity, and she openly despises the station and everything the Federation is doing on it. Even the references to the AI's namesake infer he was just the one person she kinda-sorta tolerated more than anything else.

Other M has her being docile and obedient to the big strong military man Adam she adores without question, even when it's completely loving stupid to do so.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah ultimately Other M is just a more expensive, worse Fusion. If you ignore all The Baby stuff that Fusion quickly summed up as "guess that thing saved me twice, huh", it's broadly the exact same plot and setup.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Motto posted:

Yeah ultimately Other M is just a more expensive, worse Fusion. If you ignore all The Baby stuff that Fusion quickly summed up as "guess that thing saved me twice, huh", it's broadly the exact same plot and setup.

Multiple of the unique original bosses from Fusion show up in Other M with basically no explanation.

It's such a lazy, lovely game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fusion was overly wordy but the actual story it was telling was a good one. It was about Samus having her strength and control taken away and then taking it back. The game's structure was used in a smart and effective way to tell that story and draw you into Samus's state of mind. It starts out stiflingly linear and hand-holdy but as you take back more of your abilities you venture more and more into parts of the station that you weren't told to enter, finding out more about what's really going on and going long periods of just exploring the station and stumbling upon new areas outside the map, without the AI around to tell you what to do. It's a legit great game.
Most fans were blindsided by the way Other M depicts her relationship with Adam because Fusion didn't really make it seem that way. It came across more like Adam had been a close friend than a daddy figure. It was a piece of backstory that was better off not being elaborated on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Augus posted:

Fusion was overly wordy but the actual story it was telling was a good one. It was about Samus having her strength and control taken away and then taking it back. The game's structure was used in a smart and effective way to tell that story and draw you into Samus's state of mind. It starts out stiflingly linear and hand-holdy but as you take back more of your abilities you venture more and more into parts of the station that you weren't told to enter, finding out more about what's really going on and going long periods of just exploring the station and stumbling upon new areas outside the map, without the AI around to tell you what to do. It's a legit great game.
Most fans were blindsided by the way Other M depicts her relationship with Adam because Fusion didn't really make it seem that way. It came across more like Adam had been a close friend than a daddy figure. It was a piece of backstory that was better off not being elaborated on.

One bit I really liked as gameplay/story integration is When the Nav conversation ends about the Federation forces being inbound and both doors are locked. You can't do anything, you can't shoot your way out, all you can do is spacejump around in frustration before talking to Adam again while being just as pissed off as Samus is.

That and the zoom-in on the SA-X just to nail in that it's looking for you. It's one of the few bits in a game that always makes me a bit :stare: even on replays.

*DNK-DNK-DNK*

*DNK-DNK-DN...*

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 16, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Augus posted:

And yet the climax still hinges on Adam locking Samus in an inescapable room and needing to be convinced to let her out.

Fusion is certainly trying to go for something and is miles ahead of Other M for it, but the story still trades in a lot of the same tropes and I personally don't think the ludonarrative is quite as strong as you do. Really my point isn't "Fusion was secretly bad all along" (even if I don't care for it myself) and more that you can trace the lineage of a lot of Other M's sins back to it. Basically Other M is what happens if you extrapolate and mutate every iffy-but-competent idea from Fusion into a staggeringly worse version.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

John Murdoch posted:

And yet the climax still hinges on Adam locking Samus in an inescapable room and needing to be convinced to let her out.

There's a big difference between "Let me the gently caress out you piece of poo poo computer before the Federation fucks up the entire galaxy with X Parasites" and "Please, sir, may I be permitted to go save us all? If it's okay with you, sir, I mean."

Even in Fusion, Adam doesn't really need to be convinced. he's just an AI stuck operating under Federation control and it's only at the very end he's managed to break that.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Beating Dark Souls with only kicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my0McSTNV7Y

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a big difference between "Let me the gently caress out you piece of poo poo computer before the Federation fucks up the entire galaxy with X Parasites" and "Please, sir, may I be permitted to go save us all? If it's okay with you, sir, I mean."

Even in Fusion, Adam doesn't really need to be convinced. he's just an AI stuck operating under Federation control and it's only at the very end he's managed to break that.

There is a distinction but honestly not as much of one as you'd think. At the end of the day, Samus climbs back up to 99% full power again only for a man to go "yeah, nah" and strip her of all of that power via plot. She doesn't escape the situation by telling Adam to go to hell and blasting her way out of the room (one of the very first things SA-X does is blow up an airlock door) or by otherwise subverting his control, she gets out by convincing him to relinquish it. It ends up feeling less like anything to do with her character arc and more like the culmination of Adam's character arc.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

John Murdoch posted:

only for a man to go "yeah, nah" and strip her of all of that power via plot.
This never happens in metroid fusion.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Hel posted:

The reason Nintendo is winning is because their fans are ok with whatever they do. No one else gets away with releasing two almost identical games, like Pokémon. Capcom tried with MMBN and that got complaints, everyone else just puts multiple paths in the same game.
I've always said a smart little thing Nintendo did was avoid numbering most of their sequels; different game or not, it helped reset expectations with each one. The lone exception for a while was Mario Party, which also happened to be the franchise that got the most critical flack for being samey.

(and no, this isn't saying Super Mario Odyssey is the same as SMB 3 or something, but I think it makes general perception much more forgiving when they retread old territory in new games or make an iterative sequel).

Video needed at least one segment with the Can-Can

Pants Donkey posted:

DNF got out of control because it was entirely self-funded so there was no publisher giving then deadlines. It was only when they pissed away all the Duke 3D and engine licensing money that they had to get someone to fund them which put the boot down.

As a developer, the most dangerous lie we tell ourselves is "don't worry, the next iteration will nail it". If someone else holds the purse strings, that will go over very badly soon enough; otherwise it becomes a death march dev project if that isn't fixed.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I really don't see how Samus doesn't have any agency in the situation where she successfully argues AI adam to break their programming. Both characters can have satisfying arcs simultaneously.

Like if in Other M samus stood up to Adam and successfully argued that yes she should be allowed into sector X I don't think people would have been so pissed of by that scene.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

at this point star citizen's probably eclipsed DNF in generational developmental strata

when it is re-examined in 10-15 years i'd be curious to see how many gameplay systems or assets were frozen/completed(lol) across different gaming generations. DNF at its core was still just a first person shooter. star citizen wants to be everything

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The 7th Guest posted:

at this point star citizen's probably eclipsed DNF in generational developmental strata

when it is re-examined in 10-15 years i'd be curious to see how many gameplay systems or assets were frozen/completed(lol) across different gaming generations. DNF at its core was still just a first person shooter. star citizen wants to be everything

Sure, but only because Valve stopped working on HL2: Episode 3, which is IIRC 13 years "late". Otherwise it would be a strong contender.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Imagine George Broussard with crowdfunding.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DNF for it's many faults actually became a game, Star Citizen I doubt ever truly will be.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I don't even like the original dark souls that much but I will always watch the gimmick runs, every time.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Star Citizen is one in a legacy of attempts to make the holy grail of space exploration games (a game where you can fly around in a near-scale universe in your spaceship, seamlessly land on a planet, and get out to walk around exploring on foot) and like them all its fallen hilariously short, though in this case they were likely consciously grifting people.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

No Man's Sky is a real good time for just going around space and exploring and messing around nowadays, which is pretty cool.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The reason Nintendo gets away with selling two slightly different versions of the same Pokemon game each generation is becasue there's not actually a problem with it

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I quite enjoyed these two vids where a guy played through Dark Souls and every enemy was Gwyn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS40t2s7VjM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjcpqFRnGuQ

I get a kick from this even though I've STILL not completed Dark Souls. Despite that I still feel like I know a fair bit about the bloody thing.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Star Citizen is one in a legacy of attempts to make the holy grail of space exploration games (a game where you can fly around in a near-scale universe in your spaceship, seamlessly land on a planet, and get out to walk around exploring on foot) and like them all its fallen hilariously short, though in this case they were likely consciously grifting people.

May as well just play Elite. Or Starflight if you insist on walking around a bit.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 16, 2021

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
just put in for a threadban for the person who cant stop posting about how much they want to gently caress a streamer imo

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The nex Elite Dangerous expansion adds first person shooting stuff, so that game's pretty much eating Star Citizen's lunch.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Mr Phillby posted:

fates was a mostly dumb and bad game but it did genuinely had three full games worth of content

i mean, it probably would've been less dumb and bad if it had been two games instead, or maybe even, one game, but that's neither here nor there

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ideally fire emblem fates should have been zero games!!!!!!!!

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Kim Justice posted:

The worst thing is comments from people who not only think that slapping alien tits on a wall is hot but that you are a prude and easily offended snowflake for not thinking the same or that DNF isn't the legit funniest game in the universe.

lol I didnt know youtube let 12 year olds have an account

Violen posted:

just put in for a threadban for the person who cant stop posting about how much they want to gently caress a streamer imo

:yeah:

StealthArcher posted:

Imagine George Broussard with crowdfunding.

I lost all respect for Broussard after he defended crunch :yikes:

Imagine what a living hell it must have been for DNF devs to do crunch just to make loving Duke Nukem Forever lol that's dire... :ohno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Mr Phillby posted:

I really don't see how Samus doesn't have any agency in the situation where she successfully argues AI adam to break their programming. Both characters can have satisfying arcs simultaneously.

Like if in Other M samus stood up to Adam and successfully argued that yes she should be allowed into sector X I don't think people would have been so pissed of by that scene.

Lets also remember that the final boss is a single button push, and even then the boss is actually shot down by the EEEEVIL federation who tell Samus she has no power to stop them from taking away someone else
And she literally doesnt do anything until another man comes in to save her.