Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Perestroika posted:

That indicates the mass of the item compared to how much your grapple can move. If it's full, that means you can't move it at all, the smaller it is the easier and faster the thing you're holding will move.

ty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

This patch I have started dropping the entire frame of the mackerel into the barge, and popping the cockpit out of the nose and barging that too, ultimately salvaging no aluminum. The gap of unsalvaged material at the end is about 20% of the amount between salvage goal 3 and the end of the bar, almost nothing, it's completely insignificant. The only reason to salvage the aluminum is if you feel like making sure every piece goes where it's 'supposed' to. The only exception is the heavy cargo Mackerel, which has very few things that need to be barged so it's easy to clean, and is made mostly of nanocarbon so that goes right into the processor too.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

aniviron posted:

This patch I have started dropping the entire frame of the mackerel into the barge, and popping the cockpit out of the nose and barging that too, ultimately salvaging no aluminum. The gap of unsalvaged material at the end is about 20% of the amount between salvage goal 3 and the end of the bar, almost nothing, it's completely insignificant. The only reason to salvage the aluminum is if you feel like making sure every piece goes where it's 'supposed' to. The only exception is the heavy cargo Mackerel, which has very few things that need to be barged so it's easy to clean, and is made mostly of nanocarbon so that goes right into the processor too.

Yeah this update has been a real eye-opener about how utterly worthless aluminum is. Before I'd try to get it in the furnace because the progress bar was mass-related so aluminum felt kinda-sorta valuable if you never actually did the math.

Now the progress bar is value-based and you just can't help but notice how little aluminium is worth.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So has the patch made it much more difficult to pay off your debt?
Pre-patch it seemed trivial to chunk down your debt by the 10s of millions each ship and now it seems like you don’t get very much money in the grand scheme of things. I’m assuming the devs want you to think about the debt as permanent rather than something you can actually pay off?

Also now that work orders are gone lynx tokens are so frustrating to earn and theres no way to cheat them.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It really feels like they've mistuned the advancement. I've played 5, 6 hours and am only rank 8.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Kraftwerk posted:

So has the patch made it much more difficult to pay off your debt?
Pre-patch it seemed trivial to chunk down your debt by the 10s of millions each ship and now it seems like you don’t get very much money in the grand scheme of things. I’m assuming the devs want you to think about the debt as permanent rather than something you can actually pay off?

Also now that work orders are gone lynx tokens are so frustrating to earn and theres no way to cheat them.

Things accelerate as you rank up. Bigger Javelins and Geckos are still worth 10-15m per, and you get about 2000 tokens for a Gecko, 1000ish for a Javelin. They just made the early grind too long.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I feel that the small javelins should get a 4th tier bonus, and be worth something like double the LT total. They take a lot longer than macks while not offering significantly more reward.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dancer posted:

I feel that the small javelins should get a 4th tier bonus, and be worth something like double the LT total. They take a lot longer than macks while not offering significantly more reward.

They pay 2-4x as much tho, even if you can't finish it you can carve a shitload more value out of one in a single shift. Which is better depends if you're focusing more on grinding LT to buy better tools or MP to unlock better ships (and there's a strong case to be made for getting to Geckos ASAP then worrying about upgrades), there's just way too much grinding altogether

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 16, 2021

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Upgrade pacing definitely feels off right now. I decided to start saving up LT a level 9 so I could pick up demo charges, and only had 1k when I hit level 11 and could buy them. I'll definitely hit level 12 before having enough LT for demos, and meanwhile I only have 1-2 upgrades per tool which feels kinda bad.

That's what balance passes are for I suppose, and in the meantime I'm not really missing demo charges. I just managed to 98% a medium fuel javelin for the first time, and in only two shifts with time to spare. Javelins used to take me 4-5 shifts and I'd constantly gently caress up by exploding things or accidentally dragging parts into the processor with hull portions.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The struggle with demo charges is that once they are able to be unlocked, you will start to see ships with sections that require them to salvage everything- the amplifiers on the Mackerels, for example. Even for things where demo charges aren't a requirement, it takes much longer to salvage without them - compare getting an ion ring off a Javelin with charges to having to splitsaw off the internal mounting points and then dragging the ring down to the barge whole.

Also, regarding the talk about how worthless aluminum is: here's a passenger Gecko salvaged in full, with no aluminum salvaged at all:

Given how huge the interior structure is you'd think it'd be worth a lot, but it's almost nothing. I even destroyed the aluminum panels on the hull exterior instead of separating them from the nanocarbon, it makes so little difference.

aniviron fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 17, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Got to imagine somethings going to give between aluminum value or crediting furniture and fixtures without any disassembly because I am laughing at those inner hulls just dropped in giving credit for probably huge chunks of that bar with a little red blip of aluminum. Maybe entertain those sticklers suggesting a cost per pound of rejected scrap in the barge.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

aniviron posted:

The struggle with demo charges is that once they are able to be unlocked, you will start to see ships with sections that require them to salvage everything- the amplifiers on the Mackerels, for example. Even for things where demo charges aren't a requirement, it takes much longer to salvage without them - compare getting an ion ring off a Javelin with charges to having to splitsaw off the internal mounting points and then dragging the ring down to the barge whole.

Also, regarding the talk about how worthless aluminum is: here's a passenger Gecko salvaged in full, with no aluminum salvaged at all:

Given how huge the interior structure is you'd think it'd be worth a lot, but it's almost nothing. I even destroyed the aluminum panels on the hull exterior instead of separating them from the nanocarbon, it makes so little difference.

It is worth a lot, 650k. All of it. Which is basically nothing when compared to the amount of work it takes to get it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well, that one went from horrible to excellent. I started on an exolab Mackerel, and right away I noticed it was one of the ones with the pressurized crawlspace. I have had issues with those in the past, usually resulting in blowing out a section of hull as it decompresses. So I decided to try something new: I pressurized the entire ship, opened all the doors, and cut the attachment points for one of the sides of the cockpit hull. Nothing happened. Then I remembered the space-cow catcher also holds the front hull together, exited the ship, and cut that attachment point.

The ship turned perpendicular in the bay and shot backwards.

A disconcerting sight, to be sure. The nose was a few feet from the gravity well of the furnace. I couldn't cut the hull free from the cockpit without launching the nose into the furnace, but the rest of it was a standard salvage job, just at a weird angle. So I started salvaging from the back of the ship, which was vaguely novel. Eventually I got down to just the aluminum and the nose section, which all told was light enough I could tether it into a more favorable angle to get the nanocarbon off.

The nose going into the processor bumped me up to just above goal 2, then the entire aluminum structure with everything still attached hitting the barge shot me up into goal 3. Not bad for a scenario I thought would have had me toasting in the furnace again.

Next time I'll probably just cut the back off, that's likely to be less hazardous all around.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

If you have to do an explosive decompression
1. mackerel side compartments appear linked, if you pop one you pop the other
2. If the reactor is in the area you're decompressing, there's a real good chance it goes blooie without warning so get as far as you possibly can from it

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 17, 2021

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

2. If the reactor is in the area you're decompressing, there's a real good chance it goes blooie without warning so get as far as you possibly can from it
Yikes, guess I've been lucky

Yay! Guess I've been getting lucky!

that said easily half of the mackerel reactors i've come across were attached in the nostril sections which strikes me as probably super annoying for any pilots since they have to deal with HUD interference the entire time they're in the cockpit

stringless fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 17, 2021

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
In the continuing adventures, I cannot avoid exploding the fuel tank on a cargo javelin for love nor money. One would think that once you hit the fuel flush switch, every pipe downstream of it would be empty and safe to cut. But no, whenever I try and snip the manifold anywhere, it explodes. At least it's not a huge amount of progress bar.

Also, found some neat lore.

I got a nice chuckle out of "Camp Fortune" and "Fort Camptune" on Ceres. Although Shodan Station on Ganymede is making me nervous.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

1. mackerel side compartments appear linked, if you pop one you pop the other

I'd say that comes from the nose. The shell around the aluminum compartment has enough spaces open to the other side that I'm pretty confident that the game considers it one space.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Possibly, but I don't think the game is all that sophisticated about determining pressurization. Looking at it with the scanner it appears there's a fake "compartment" underneath the whole Mackerel body that connects the two

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Bhodi posted:

It really feels like they've mistuned the advancement. I've played 5, 6 hours and am only rank 8.

They have, for whatever reason they tune this game like it's a fuckin' MMO. The idea that some single player game needs 60 hours of progression is ludicrous and I hope they get their heads out of their asses.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The Railgate network thing is kinda mildly annoying, that's not how orbits work!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Saros posted:

The Railgate network thing is kinda mildly annoying, that's not how orbits work!
I don't think they've gone into what a gate even does but the map is surely schematic and "lynxrail" is more probably rail gun type accelerator and less likely space train.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's definitely not a space train but it really should be, that'd be sick as hell

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

There's more detail on the rail network in other lore tidbits but they're described as basically ribbons of railguns strung out between the planets which continually accelerate/decelerate ships. Unfortunately this is physically impossible due to how orbits work.

And yes I am aware how petty a complaint this is.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Not physically impossible at all. Acceleration and deceleration re exactly how orbits work. Just with a lot more gentle curves and transit time

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Yeah you could have railguns at the start/finish of a transfer to do some initial Accel/decel but that's not what they describe, it's a series of tubes railguns you pass through along the way. The problem is those railguns have their own orbits and everything is continuously moving in regards to everything else.

You can't park railguns between say Earth and Mars like this because the Earth would speed away from them around the sun because it's in a closer orbit and is thus faster and likewise mars would fall 'behind' them. You could in theory have millions and millions of them saturating every possible orbit between the planets but at that point you're expending so much effort to build and maintain this network you could have shipped the equivalent amount of mass around the system on ships for a fraction of the cost.

The other thing is the conservation of energy, as a railgun pushes something it receives an equal boost the opposite direction which is gonna change whatever carefully placed orbit it's in. You can't account for this just by having ships going both ways as transfer orbits between celestial bodies are not the same path in both directions.

Anyways too many words about a game with a gravity gun, space magic is the answer.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I'm done with the game until they rebalance the progression again. It's been 5 or so shifts since I was able to buy a single upgrade, and that was tether capacity.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
As it stands they seem to be just brute-forcing launch windows with a fuckton of delta-v. The fact that the Earth railgate doesn't change attitude is either a major error or can be chalked up to the fact that it doesn't need to for the average player.

Saros posted:

Anyways too many words about a game with a gravity gun, space magic is the answer.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I assume the railgates operate on the same technology that the grappler gun works off of (Van der Waals force I guess?) -- considering it takes only a week to get from Jupiter to Earth, they have to be going quite fast. That and the fact that the ships you're scrapping can't handle the force from the upgraded railgates is also quite telling. I wonder how they prevent the acceleration forces from gibbing passengers?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I assume the railgates operate on the same technology that the grappler gun works off of (Van der Waals force I guess?) -- considering it takes only a week to get from Jupiter to Earth, they have to be going quite fast. That and the fact that the ships you're scrapping can't handle the force from the upgraded railgates is also quite telling. I wonder how they prevent the acceleration forces from gibbing passengers?

Several extremely comprehensive waivers

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

cloning on arrival

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Saros posted:

Yeah you could have railguns at the start/finish of a transfer to do some initial Accel/decel but that's not what they describe, it's a series of tubes railguns you pass through along the way. The problem is those railguns have their own orbits and everything is continuously moving in regards to everything else.

You can't park railguns between say Earth and Mars like this because the Earth would speed away from them around the sun because it's in a closer orbit and is thus faster and likewise mars would fall 'behind' them. You could in theory have millions and millions of them saturating every possible orbit between the planets but at that point you're expending so much effort to build and maintain this network you could have shipped the equivalent amount of mass around the system on ships for a fraction of the cost.

The other thing is the conservation of energy, as a railgun pushes something it receives an equal boost the opposite direction which is gonna change whatever carefully placed orbit it's in. You can't account for this just by having ships going both ways as transfer orbits between celestial bodies are not the same path in both directions.

The grapple doesn't conserve momentum, maybe the railguns don't either. Then if the railguns themselves were in planetary transfer orbits it could actually kind of work.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
considering that the makita hand-held version you carry around can output an eye-watering 30k newtons of force when fully upgraded and using a charged burst you gotta figure a gigantic space station sized one could probably fling you much, much, much harder.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

otoh they make pretty clear they won't let anyone they actually value anywhere near those things, cutters get to play with the cool toys cause they'll all be dead in a month anyway

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

considering that the makita hand-held version you carry around can output an eye-watering 30k newtons of force when fully upgraded and using a charged burst you gotta figure a gigantic space station sized one could probably fling you much, much, much harder.

Annnd we're back to everyone getting turned to mush by the railgates. Maybe that's the secret, everyone who leaves earth is actually cloned after acceleration and deceleration.

A return trip anywhere through the railgates requires dying no less than four times.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Saros posted:

Annnd we're back to everyone getting turned to mush by the railgates. Maybe that's the secret, everyone who leaves earth is actually cloned after acceleration and deceleration.

A return trip anywhere through the railgates requires dying no less than four times.

If that's the case, why send people at all? Just transmit the information that the cloning bay uses to make the clone without the expensive and difficult process of killing the original passenger.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

aniviron posted:

If that's the case, why send people at all? Just transmit the information that the cloning bay uses to make the clone without the expensive and difficult process of killing the original passenger.

Well, you gotta bring their stuff too!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

aniviron posted:

yes indeed why would any massive tech corporation keep vaunting their whizbang theoretical megaproject given internal evidence it could never work, instead of admitting their mistake and publicly embracing a more practical but less marketable approach

btw how is the hyperloop doing these days

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 17, 2021

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

they removed the hyper, and much of the loop

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

yes indeed why would any massive tech corporation keep vaunting their whizbang theoretical megaproject given internal evidence it could never work, instead of admitting their mistake and publicly embracing a more practical but less marketable approach

i was sure right up to the end that this was a stadia joke lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

BMan posted:

they removed the hyper, and much of the loop

It's more of a 'L' these days.