Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Greg12 posted:

put it all directly into calpers because any surplus this government turns is underpayment on pensions

They're actually required to send at least half the money back to the taxpayers. The other half can be dumped into schools.

Like everything in this state to all goes back to Prop 13

quote:

The magnitude of the cash payments is breathtaking, even in a state where government programs often come with multibillion-dollar price tags. (For some context, the stimulus program could end up costing about 90% of what state officials in January said it would cost to operate California’s prisons for the fiscal year.)

But there’s a fascinating backstory, as the new money being announced by Newsom on Monday is pretty much what the state is required to do under a law approved by voters in 1979.
Gann’s limit, cash for Californians

Paul Gann‘s sales pitch that year was simple: Don’t let politicians undermine Proposition 13.

Angered by local and state officials’ efforts to replace the dollars lost to the 1978 tax cut he crafted with anti-tax crusader Howard Jarvis, Gann returned the following year with Proposition 4, a ballot measure to limit government spending.

“Let government trim their sails and get rid of the fat,” Gann said in an Aug. 15, 1979, profile in The Times. “We’re picking up where 13 left off!”

Voters resoundingly agreed that November — in part, perhaps, because Gann’s ballot measure also required a tax rebate when revenues outpaced spending on taxpayer-funded programs. The provision has been triggered only once in the law’s 42-year history, resulting in a $1.1-billion rebate in 1987.

Until this month, that is.

Newsom administration officials say a still-growing tax windfall has spilled over the so-called “Gann limit” on state spending. In January, the spillover was estimated at $102 million over a two-year period. This week, Newsom will announce the excess cash that can’t be spent under regular budget rules is an astounding $16 billion.

Only half of that is going back to Californians as a tax rebate, branded by Newsom as part of his Golden State Stimulus program. That’s because critics of Gann’s law tucked changes to it inside two voter-approved ballot measures in 1988 and 1990. One change requires that excess cash be equally divided between taxpayers and public schools. So we would expect to see an $8-billion boost, as well, to K-12 schools and community colleges in the budget plan rolled out later this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Boot and Rally posted:

If Newsom survives the recall he better raise my taxes.

I'm imagining an election ad that shows a crowd of people and text above them saying "Gavin BETTER raise my taxes!".

California law with propositions is like spaghetti code made into law

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 10, 2021

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

CA lost population last year for the first time ever, due to the combo of covid deaths, immigration restrictions, and people fleeing the state for chudly reasons, or fleeing because housing is too expensive, or fleeing because they're scared of the plague zone cities and went back home to vermont or whatever:

https://www.dof.ca.gov/forecasting/demographics/estimates/e-1/documents/E-1_2021PressRelease.pdf

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I'd take 2020 census numbers with a grain or two of salt, because it was clear that the Trump administration was intentionally undercounting minority groups and blue states generally.

e: Whoops, never mind, those aren't 2020-2010 census comparisons.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

FMguru posted:

I'd take 2020 census numbers with a grain or two of salt, because it was clear that the Trump administration was intentionally undercounting minority groups and blue states generally.

e: Whoops, never mind, those aren't 2020-2010 census comparisons.

Yeah i would definitely take census numbers with a grain of salt, but these are CA dept of finance numbers, which i trust more.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

My money is on people moving back to home states or other states where housing is cheaper, and renting out their CA homes to help avoid the salt tax cap and continue speculation in the real estate market.

Which may explain why rents are imploding but housing supply is still very limited.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

sb hermit posted:

My money is on people moving back to home states or other states where housing is cheaper, and renting out their CA homes to help avoid the salt tax cap and continue speculation in the real estate market.

Which may explain why rents are imploding but housing supply is still very limited.
If you don't need to go into ~*~the office~*~ then you lose one of the advantages of being in the city proper, which is a shorter commute. So the suburbs become relatively more attractive.

That, plus if you're working remote, it becomes very handy to have more space for a home office.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Hope Newsom does what Biden did and sends everyone a letter through the California revenue service reminding them that he gave them the money.
I got one of those IRS Campaign Letters; found it pretty skeevy. Then I was told Trump did the same thing so blegh, though I don't remember getting his IRS Campaign Letter. Then again, it probably got lost in the mail; this last check was being sent to me as a prepaid visa debit card; Informed delivery showed it coming in March, and none of the mail arrived that day. Reported it on Informed Delivery, contacted the post office, nada. Then weeks letter I went to the EIP Card website and fumbled through the phone prompts to say my card was lost or stolen, and then it showed up in Informed delivery more than a week later... I go outside and my mailbox is closed, with the letter containing the card just laying in the dirt in front of it. Shameful, USPS can't get that stuff in my mailbox. I think we're serviced by a postal contractor iirc.

We'll see if CA Covid Bucks will make it to the mailbox this time.

Cicero posted:

If you don't need to go into ~*~the office~*~ then you lose one of the advantages of being in the city proper, which is a shorter commute. So the suburbs become relatively more attractive.

That, plus if you're working remote, it becomes very handy to have more space for a home office.
There used to be more tax write offs for remote workers collecting W2s iirc, but those don't exist anymore since the last federal income tax bill.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 11, 2021

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Trump sent a letter and put his name on the actual checks.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 11, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

art of the deal baby

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And for the record, I agree that it's crass to send a letter but it's also good politics.

But on the list of oily things politicians do to raise their public standing it's waaaay down there.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BeAuMaN posted:

I got one of those IRS Campaign Letters; found it pretty skeevy.
gently caress that noise.

Trump *delayed* issuing checks so he could get his loving name on them. The letter he sent was from the office of the white house, had his huge idiot signature on it, and was basically "look, I'm sending you money, me, Dernald Trimp, am great".

Biden sent a letter through the IRS explaining the stimulus plan he had passed.

BeAuMaN posted:

I go outside and my mailbox is closed, with the letter containing the card just laying in the dirt in front of it. Shameful, USPS can't get that stuff in my mailbox. I think we're serviced by a postal contractor iirc.
Lol blame the lovely outsourcer not usps. Christ.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
and yet trump got me an actual check that I traded for actual dollars instead of

a gift card with $5 transaction fees

"poo poo I better go find something that costs exactly $1,395"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Greg12 posted:

and yet trump got me an actual check that I traded for actual dollars instead of

Weird, I thought the IRS was in charge of that decision, for expediency, as soon as the 2nd stimulus and for very late 1st stimulus payments.

Please tell us more about Domald Trump handing you a giant novelty check and shaking your hand.

I think everyone agreed the means testing was a waste of time, for what it's worth.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

FilthyImp posted:

Weird, I thought the IRS was in charge of that decision, for expediency, as soon as the 2nd stimulus and for very late 1st stimulus payments.

Please tell us more about Domald Trump handing you a giant novelty check and shaking your hand.

I think everyone agreed the means testing was a waste of time, for what it's worth.

well you thought wrong

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Skippy McPants posted:

And for the record, I agree that it's crass to send a letter but it's also good politics.

But on the list of oily things politicians do to raise their public standing it's waaaay down there.

I mean, he lost so it can't have been that good politics.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, that's what people were telling me, and looking above yeah that's pretty bad; the whole thing stinks. I remember he put his name on the check which was is also skeevy.

FilthyImp posted:

gently caress that noise.

Trump *delayed* issuing checks so he could get his loving name on them. The letter he sent was from the office of the white house, had his huge idiot signature on it, and was basically "look, I'm sending you money, me, Dernald Trimp, am great".

Biden sent a letter through the IRS explaining the stimulus plan he had passed.
Half explanation and half campaign letter. Reading the above lovely campaign letter from Trump though that's an improvement I guess?

FilthyImp posted:

Lol blame the lovely outsourcer not usps. Christ.
Why yes, this contractor is just a free individual that just raids the mail from the USPS post office, and just does with it what they will, completely without direction or any affiliation with the USPS, as opposed to being outsourced and hired by the USPS as a designated agent to deliver the mail. Look I know the USPS has had a lot of lovely changes lately but I'm still pissed at how that was handled, and my requests that the mail be located have been unfruitful over the last month+ (Whether the mail was actually lost in transit to the contract mail carrier or the mail carrier themselves I do not know, though having seen the mail carrier toss my Covid Bucks on the ground makes me believe the latter).

Greg12 posted:

I made the mistake of checking the balance on the first card I received; got fee'd. To be clear though the fee you likely experienced is from an Out-of-Network ATM operator (per fee schedule), and Money Network does have a large network, however it would have been better if it just worked at any ATM, but getting the other ATMs/banks to agree to waive fees (even for a limited number of transactions) for Covid Bucks was apparently impossible I guess. Second card I registered it online and ACH transferred the funds out.

The idea is that the card is supposed to be better for those without bank accounts, thus allowing them to use the money quickly and easily, however if fees pop up that'll piss people off. Hopefully whatever California does with their payments will be better.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I put my Trump check on my fridge because that was hilarious.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BeAuMaN posted:

Hopefully whatever California does with their payments will be better.
CA EDD issues payments through BoA debit cards, btw.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Centrist Committee posted:

I put my Trump check on my fridge because that was hilarious.

Well look at Richie Rich here, just laughing at money on their fridge instead of giving it to someone that needs it. Hilarious

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

FilthyImp posted:

CA EDD issues payments through BoA debit cards, btw.
Thanks for that.
Fee Schedule here; looks to be about the same as EIPCard Fee Schedule.
It's all pretty comparable from the looks of it.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

droll posted:

Well look at Richie Rich here, just laughing at money on their fridge instead of giving it to someone that needs it. Hilarious

If you deposit a check using a banking app you are free to do whatever you want with the check - usually the trash but the fridge works too. You still get the money.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

droll posted:

mobile deposit, b*tch!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Skippy McPants posted:

Too bad he didn't do it for the $600 that Biden claimed completed his $2000 promise. Would've made sense there.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1392455789315563523?s=20
why lie about something like voting that just took place 6 months ago

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

a.lo posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1392455789315563523?s=20
why lie about something like voting that just took place 6 months ago
Because she obviously voted for Trump and went R down the line. It's not a mystery that saying "I Viterd Trump!" is not a great strategy in CA

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The thing is, even if she voted for Biden, that might not be good for her either, because that would piss off R's from voting from her, and she still wouldn't get that many D votes.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

she probably didn't know you can look up whether or not someone voted in an election

she'll revise her lie and say what she meant to say was she filled out the ballot but left president blank or wrote in herself or something

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Shes gonna claim voter fraud

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Maybe she's doing all this to boost ratings for Keeping Up with the Kardashians, or perhaps being near those people causes you to run the worst political campaigns (see Kanye and Trump).

Man the world would be an objectively better place if reality TV never existed

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

adoration for none posted:

Maybe she's doing all this to boost ratings for Keeping Up with the Kardashians, or perhaps being near those people causes you to run the worst political campaigns (see Kanye and Trump).

Man the world would be an objectively better place if reality TV never existed
They're reportedly ending the show this year.

But likely so they can skip out on the KimYe drama and come back to "reboot" it for Kardashian: Gen K

It's amazing how Jenner had a whole journey of self discovery that ended with the same lovely, hosed-up biases they had pre-transition.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah why admit the lie when you can just claim that no, you absolutely did not vote and the records saying you did is PROOF of a RIGGED ELECTION and that when you're elected you'll push for stronger voting restrictions.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

FilthyImp posted:

They're reportedly ending the show this year.

But likely so they can skip out on the KimYe drama and come back to "reboot" it for Kardashian: Gen K

It's amazing how Jenner had a whole journey of self discovery that ended with the same lovely, hosed-up biases they had pre-transition.
I noticed the same type of right wingers that mocked Caitlin for being some kind of freak are suddenly propping her up the second she had opinions contrary to leftists and other trans people.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

"Let's not forget that keeping wildlife, an amphibious rodent a bear, for uh, domestic political purposes, you know, within the city - that ain't legal either."

Cox is getting fined for violating San Diego animal ordinances

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Latest poll shows the recall campaign is going nowhere

- Newsom has 52% approval (Lower than his 64% at beginning of pandemic but Gray Davis was in the low 20s during his recall)
- Cox polling at 22%
- Jenner is at 6%, with only 13% of Republicans indicating they’d vote for her

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1392095398303604736?s=21

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Not that it's relevant to the current election, but I do wonder what would happen if the recall succeeded, but no candidate had a clear lead? Like, what if the voters had "yes" to the recall, but every other candidate had like 10% or less? Would the top plurality become governor?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

DrSunshine posted:

Not that it's relevant to the current election, but I do wonder what would happen if the recall succeeded, but no candidate had a clear lead? Like, what if the voters had "yes" to the recall, but every other candidate had like 10% or less? Would the top plurality become governor?

Yeah it's whoever has the most votes. There's no runoff mechanic for the top two or anything, so if someone has 10% and everyone else has 9.9% then the person with 10% is the new governor.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Yeah it's whoever has the most votes. There's no runoff mechanic for the top two or anything, so if someone has 10% and everyone else has 9.9% then the person with 10% is the new governor.

That's moronic. :laffo: I love our huge dumb state.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Hillary Clinton has this in the bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

That's moronic. :laffo: I love our huge dumb state.

Yeah that's why it would be logical for the dems to run an Acceptable Alternative for pro-gavin people to vote for in the second vote but the California Dem machine won't allow even that amount of disloyalty