Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
So I say again. Vaccines don't provide immunity. Not 100%. As in not everyone. As in some people who are vaccinated still get it.

You can say "yeah but the chance is small." It is. It's extremely small. But what I said is that it's not 100% that you won't get it. It's not black and white. This isn't up for debate. This is the truth and we all know it. The thread has been posting this since the vaccines were still in testing. How can anyone push back against this?

People can't just do whatever they want after they are vaxxed. They need to still take precautions. Jesus gently caress you guys.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

learnincurve posted:

They are even beginning to say the lab evidence shows the current vaccines are all effective against the Indian variant

Heyyy now that's some super vague wording there. Are they 100% effective? 90%?? 60%??

You pull this vague bullshit all the time, making these sweeping statements that don't have any actual facts or figures in them.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The evidence shows that in the tiny number of breakthrough cases vaccinated people under 60 get a mild case which isn’t passed on, some very elderly and vulnerable people end up in hospital.

I work with immunocompromised disabled people (we successfully navigated this thing with no deaths and now everyone who comes in contact with them is vaccinated) and god drat not one of them is a gloomy as this thread.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pennywise the Frown posted:

People can't just do whatever they want after they are vaxxed. They need to still take precautions. Jesus gently caress you guys.

Hey the CDC wouldn't just lie to people about something like this, surely you must be mistaken

E: you haven't even seen the worst of this yet, there's a bunch of school districts arguing that they should drop the mask mandates for kids immediately even though they're obviously not vaxxed up

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m not loving google.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

learnincurve posted:

The evidence shows that in the tiny number of breakthrough cases vaccinated people under 60 get a mild case which isn’t passed on, some very elderly and vulnerable people end up in hospital.

Oh so you're claiming 100% effectiveness for people under 60? Are you sure you want to do that??

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

So I say again. Vaccines don't provide immunity. Not 100%. As in not everyone. As in some people who are vaccinated still get it.

You can say "yeah but the chance is small." It is. It's extremely small. But what I said is that it's not 100% that you won't get it. It's not black and white. This isn't up for debate. This is the truth and we all know it. The thread has been posting this since the vaccines were still in testing. How can anyone push back against this?

It might be better to make a more nuanced statement "vaccines provide resistance but not full immunity". That way you won't get lumped in with the folks who say "vaccines don't work".

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

so gently caress off with your lies that will get people killed.

Vaccines don't provide immunity.

:magemage:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Facebook Aunt posted:

It might be better to make a more nuanced statement "vaccines provide resistance but not full immunity". That way you won't get lumped in with the folks who say "vaccines don't work".

I'd hope morons would know the definition of immunity.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

You can't read. Or don't understand context. Or at least you don't know what immunity means.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh so you're claiming 100% effectiveness for people under 60? Are you sure you want to do that??

Why are you so obsessed with the idea of vaccines not working? When you get to the point where you aggressively go after anyone with hope then this is very much a “you” problem.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I can't believe anyone would wear a mask (or two) and leave their eyes unprotected and their ear holes wide open. I already have to wear a mask, it isn't that much more effort to wear safety goes and ear protection too whenever I shop.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

This is what they do. Vaccines provide incredible amounts of resistance to (I think I'm saying this correctly) the virus that causes covid to happen (SARS2). And it's amazing that we managed to make them. I'm so proud of us.

I'd hope morons would know the definition of immunity.

A lot of people really do not understand the intricacies of the medical terminology during this pandemic. That language barrier/misunderstanding has actually probably been one of the more harmful things.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Green Nail Polish posted:

In terms of protection, wearing a mask (especially when you are alone outside lol) while double mRNA vaccinated is a bit like slipping a bible into your back pocket while wearing a bulletproof vest.

Sure, it might offer a thin longshot chance of protection. But I think you can admit that it's more about feeling safe than being safe.

The vaccines are far, far better at preventing covid spread and transmission than masks.

It's really loving dumb that people kept wearing gaiters, surgical masks, and other barely-effective nonsense well after KN95 and KN94 masks became plentiful. Plus the effective masks are more comfortable.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

satanic splash-back posted:

I can't believe anyone would wear a mask (or two) and leave their eyes unprotected and their ear holes wide open. I already have to wear a mask, it isn't that much more effort to wear safety goes and ear protection too whenever I shop.

no butt plug? You're just asking to get COVID

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

learnincurve posted:

Why are you so obsessed with the idea of vaccines not working? When you get to the point where you aggressively go after anyone with hope then this is very much a “you” problem.

Screaming at "doomerposters" is also a coping mechanism, hth ;)

Also I'm 100% in favour of vaccines and I think they work way way better than we could have hoped, you have ONCE AGAIN badly misinterpreted this entire conversation. Maybe you should just stick to the actual conversation on the screen instead of the one that's occurring inside your head?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
In case some people haven't gotten my point. Here it is:

If you get vaxxed, please still do your best to continue preventing contracting Covid-19 by wearing a mask and social distancing. You can be more relaxed but this isn't over by a long shot and you are still in danger. You have a much greater protection now, but we still don't know the full efficacy of these vaccines and we may need booster shots.

tldr; please try to be safe still

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Had a nice time last night with a fully vaxxed group of family and friends. Ate at a restaurant and then had a few brews at the bar across the street afterwards. First "normal" outing in 14 months or so.

I'll continue to mask up where needed and required. Otherwise it's nice to have some normalcy back.

Good luck everyone!!!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Aardvark! posted:

no butt plug? You're just asking to get COVID

Personally I leave the house in a full hazmat suit these days

I caught covid for the second time from breathing in pissy air in a disabled toilet.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

In case some people haven't gotten my point. Here it is:

If you get vaxxed, please still do your best to continue preventing contracting Covid-19 by wearing a mask and social distancing. You can be more relaxed but this isn't over by a long shot and you are still in danger. You have a much greater protection now, but we still don't know the full efficacy of these vaccines and we may need booster shots.

tldr; please try to be safe still

You are a good poster and a good person and sometimes I don't think people understand, but you try real hard :3:

Chinatown posted:

Had a nice time last night with a fully vaxxed group of family and friends. Ate at a restaurant and then had a few brews at the bar across the street afterwards. First "normal" outing in 14 months or so.

I'll continue to mask up where needed and required. Otherwise it's nice to have some normalcy back.

Good luck everyone!!!

This is going to sound sassy and I don't mean it that way, but you're very pro-pre-covid and have been for a while. So I hope you don't mind me asking this. If you or one of those who went out to eat with you got seriously sick or (gods all forbid) passed away because their vaccine failed, would you continue to do the above? Or would you want the general public to roll back towards mask mandates and stuff?

Basically: is there something that would make you want to go back to masks being mandated, restaurants being closed, etc and if there is, what would it have to be?

E: And I guess, is there a spot you'd point to where you'd consider the risk mentioned above isn't worth it in some way. I suppose I'm trying to gather where your risk assessment/barometer is on this stuff, because I want to understand. I would love for covid to have never happened. I'd be at some dumbass buffet shoving rolls down my throat right now.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 16, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

learnincurve posted:

Personally I leave the house in a full hazmat suit these days

I caught covid for the second time from breathing in pissy air in a disabled toilet.

read this as "pussy air" and gagged irl ftw

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

satanic splash-back posted:

Wow way to miss a super important orifice.

Edit: gently caress you thread for being too active and beating me to my ever so funny and original joke.

Lurker Ant
Nov 16, 2016
I'm fully vaccinated and so are most of my friends and family, still wearing a mask at work because my job involves going into peoples' homes but it's nice to be able to ease up elsewhere. Now I just need to start weaning myself off of delivery services, poo poo's expensive.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

This is going to sound sassy and I don't mean it that way, but you're very pro-pre-covid and have been for a while. So I hope you don't mind me asking this. If you or one of those who went out to eat with you got seriously sick or (gods all forbid) passed away because their vaccine failed, would you continue to do the above? Or would you want the general public to roll back towards mask mandates and stuff?

Chinatown is a TWISTED rear end motherfucker. he'd probably LOVE IT if his friends and family died.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Basically: is there something that would make you want to go back to masks being mandated, restaurants being closed, etc and if there is, what would it have to be?

E: And I guess, is there a spot you'd point to where you'd consider the risk mentioned above isn't worth it in some way. I suppose I'm trying to gather where your risk assessment/barometer is on this stuff, because I want to understand. I would love for covid to have never happened. I'd be at some dumbass buffet shoving rolls down my throat right now.

I mixed Bourbon, a glass of pino noir, and a few IPAs so I woke up with a headache this morning. :negative:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

learnincurve posted:

This thread is chuffing nuts for reading a whole wall of pro-mask the vaccine’s don’t work text and then it turns out the poster is in Australia or another covid free country and the poster has no skin in the game other than “I haven’t seen my family for a bit”

For the record, two people I knew in Melbourne died from covid so go gently caress yourself with this "holier than thou" wankery

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

Chinatown is a TWISTED rear end motherfucker. he'd probably LOVE IT if his friends and family died.

:smith: flickin' his bean as the pink foam sprays across his face.

Chinatown posted:

I mixed Bourbon, a glass of pino noir, and a few IPAs so I woke up with a headache this morning. :negative:

gently caress you already got the covid then. gently caress poo poo drat.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

For the record, two people I knew in Melbourne died from covid so go gently caress yourself with this "holier than thou" wankery

I’m Australian living in the U.K. and the Australians have no idea, no idea at all, of how bad it’s been here.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

learnincurve posted:

I’m Australian living in the U.K. and the Australians have no idea, no idea at all, of how bad it’s been here.

None of that changes the fact that you're a scumbag for saying I had "no skin in the game". You can't even bring yourself to admit it was a lovely thing to say

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
The first thing I'm going to do once fully vaxxed is go gently caress.

"I'm fully vaxxed" is the new "I'm on the pill".

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

None of that changes the fact that you're a scumbag for saying I had "no skin in the game". You can't even bring yourself to admit it was a lovely thing to say

And you can’t see how absolutely infuriating it is for people living in countries in full lockdown, or about to enact stupid policies that will cause a spike, to be lectured at by Australians, and others in covid free countries, about how the vaccines may not work - while they are happily sat there with no masks and normal lives with absolutely no bloody risk of catching covid.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

You can't read. Or don't understand context. Or at least you don't know what immunity means.
You're the one inventing a new definition of "immunity" here that for some reason requires absolute protection.

The rest of the English-speaking world, meanwhile, is happy to use phrases like:
- All COVID-19 vaccines work with the body’s natural defenses to safely develop immunity to disease.
- It typically takes two weeks after vaccination for the body to build protection (immunity) against the virus that causes COVID-19.

(those two quotes are from the CDC's website, the first thing that comes up if you Google "vaccine immunity")

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ShadowHawk posted:

You're the one inventing a new definition of "immunity" here that for some reason requires absolute protection.

The rest of the English-speaking world, meanwhile, is happy to use phrases like:
- All COVID-19 vaccines work with the body’s natural defenses to safely develop immunity to disease.
- It typically takes two weeks after vaccination for the body to build protection (immunity) against the virus that causes COVID-19.

(those two quotes are from the CDC's website, the first thing that comes up if you Google "vaccine immunity")

You know drat well that when the word immunity is used in normal circumstances it means 100% immunity. No one says immune and means, eh, kind of resistant.

And I've explained what I meant numerous times now. You know exactly what I meant. Don't try to be pedantic.

Lurker Ant
Nov 16, 2016

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

The first thing I'm going to do once fully vaxxed is go gently caress.

"I'm fully vaxxed" is the new "I'm on the pill".

I've literally been waiting to get the vaccine before I make a new dating profile. My ex broke up with me right before covid hit so it seems appropriate.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

You know drat well that when the word immunity is used in normal circumstances it means 100% immunity. No one says immune and means, eh, kind of resistant.

And I've explained what I meant numerous times now. You know exactly what I meant. Don't try to be pedantic.

I don't think that's at all what people mean by immunity because by that measure you are never immune to anything from any vaccine or prior infection ever.

I get what you were trying to say, but it's a very poor way of wording it unless you're trying to be deliberately misleading.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

ShadowHawk posted:

Pennywise is a regularly good poster who seems to be using a different definition of "immunity" than most people.

I think most everyone understands that vaccines do not provide 100% immunity in all cases. It's not a misnomer to state that vaccines provide 90+% immunity, or that they provide immunity in 90+% of cases. Talking about immunity is just shorthand for those more specific cases.

ETA: just read the most recent responses: Pennywise is definitely using a much more restrictive definition of "immunity."

Castaign fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 16, 2021

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

No, I don't "know drat well that" because it's not true. Immunity in this context is not some video game term where virus attacks inflict zero particle damage - immunity is the body's immune system's learning process where you don't develop serious subsequent disease.

I'm all in favor of putting aside semantics arguments to argue actual points, but it's not helpful when you going to push an unusual definition and then get furiously angry at everyone else in the thread, the CDC, and related experts when they use standard language.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Immune system? More like mune system

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Can we even safely eat meat anymore? As we all know, vaccines won't make us completely immune, so the only safe option is to cover our holes. But how does this affect our food source animals like cows? We could maybe mask cows with some kind of makeshift feed-bag-type thing, but chickens seem logistically a lot more difficult. I'm afraid any meat might be a covid transmission vector now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

wilderthanmild posted:

I don't think that's at all what people mean by immunity because by that measure you are never immune to anything from any vaccine or prior infection ever.

I get what you were trying to say, but it's a very poor way of wording it unless you're trying to be deliberately misleading.

I wasn't trying to be misleading at all. Look at all of my other posts after that one. It clears up what I was trying to say.

I apologize for the confusion.