Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Awesome for what exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
What even is a smart contract, and how and why does it differ from a normal person contract?

If it's cool why didn't it exist before someone decided to cash in on butts?

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Paladinus posted:

awesome in like giving control of your finances to a publicly available automatically executed algorithm in some javascript-like language

you could lose money in ways you never even knew were possible

e: maybe someone can link that article where some researcher discovered a bug in one of these contracts but wasn't able to exploit it since the bots reading the transactions would see what he was trying to do and automatically exploit the bug by frontrunning

Vesi fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 16, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Vesi posted:

awesome in like giving control of your finances to a publicly available automatically executed algorithm in some javascript-like language

you could lose money in ways you never even knew were possible

e: maybe someone can link that article where some researcher discovered a bug in one of these contracts but wasn't able to exploit it since the bots reading the transactions would see what he was trying to do and automatically exploit the bug by frontrunning
calling the smart contract interpreter javascript-like is one of the few ways you can defame javascript

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Stealthgerbil posted:

That said, you don't need to use the main Ethereum network to utilize the technology behind it. Anyone can spin up a private network and use the tech however they need.

What is the value of an immutable blockchain if you control all of (or more than 50% of) the network?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

bollig posted:

One of my friends is a lifelong computer guy and he's really into Ethereum like as a platform and I honestly see where he's coming from.

Crypto as a currency is a cool idea. Too bad every other thing about it is horrible.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Just imagine if there was a system, where with a press of a button one could transfer money and get products and services in return. Before Ethereum such a thing was but a hopeful vision of the future, but now it's finally a reality.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Crypto is the Juicero of currency.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Juicero sounds like a good name for a coin to con people with. If they were smart enough to recognize the name they wouldn’t invest— leaving what hundreds of thousands of rubes!? Let’s do it, goons.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Someone, somewhere, is currently working out how to market juicecoin to gyms.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

Crypto as a currency is a cool idea. Too bad every other thing about it is horrible.

trading imaginary bits on a hard drive as currency is in fact not a cool idea

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Someone, somewhere, is currently working out how to market juicecoin to gyms.
The JUICEDCOIN marketplace is called PUMP. Using JUICED equipment alongside a personal NFC validator, in this case SPOTR, tracks your workout intensity and duration. The transaction is seamless and 100% encrypted. This allows you to gain JUICEDCOIN tokens through a process we call LIFT. You can use your LIFT to convert into JUICEDCOIN, or burn it on location-specific perks like smoothies, massages, and gear.
To promote healthy choices, PUMP penalizes you if you spend too much time away from the gym or if our patented Location services ping you at too many fast food restaurants. In such a case, you'll experience SHRED, where some of your LIFT will be lost using our deep machine learning AI to determine a level that will motivate you to get back.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Paladinus posted:

Awesome for losing millions of dollars every time you make a typo in your code!

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Back under $45k, 30% below the ATH. Sunday seems to be a big sell off day

Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014
Lmao at the goons absolutely EUPHORIC at Bitcoin’s price going down. I’m sure it’s really dead this time you guys!!!!!!!!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cirrhosis Johnson posted:

Lmao at the goons absolutely EUPHORIC at Bitcoin’s price going down. I’m sure it’s really dead this time you guys!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't be so optimistic.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

literally one post about it

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Yes, I am excited to watch the world's largest ever ponzi scheme end. Sorry if that bothers you!

Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014

Andy Dufresne posted:

Yes, I am excited to watch the world's largest ever ponzi scheme end. Sorry if that bothers you!

No matter what happens, my life will be infinitely more fulfilling and successful than yours, and that makes me very excited. I guess we all have things to look forward to.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

No matter what happens, my life will be infinitely more fulfilling and successful than yours, and that makes me very excited. I guess we all have things to look forward to.

What is it you think you've learned about my success and fulfillment in life based on the fact that I like to make fun of ponzi schemes on the Internet?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

seems kinda defensive, bud. i feel like people construct in their heads a variant of this thread and engage with it instead of the real one which has grown increasingly coin tolerant over the course of the bull run, like it always does, and will probably engage in some schadenfreude when the bottom falls out and a new period of crowing begins but it will be as meaningless as the last...three? times it has happened? as meaningless as the crowing is during the bull runs. as someone who has been observing the threads for a long time all of this has happened before and all of this will happen again.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

:lol:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

___________________________________/

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

to the moon buddy, to the moon

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

So how much did you lose?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

One more post like this and you just might overtake xtal in the race for the most embarrassing bitcoin poster. I believe in you!

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 16, 2021

Tiax Rules All
Jul 22, 2007
You are but the grease for the wheels of his rule.
I’ll admit that crypto Twitter melting down over Elon crashing the price of Bitcoin has been the highlight of the week for me.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

:actually:

I'll have you know, gentle sir, that I am not in any way shape or form "mad" in the slightest though I must inform you, regretfully, that it is you in fact who are, sadly, considerably "mad".

:umberto:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

The crypto market will remain irrational for longer than anyone here will live.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Bronze Fonz posted:

:actually:

I'll have you know, gentle sir, that I am not in any way shape or form "mad" in the slightest though I must inform you, regretfully, that it is you in fact who are, sadly, considerably "mad".

:umberto:

It's me I'm mad

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Is there any way to tell what percentage of bitcoin traffic is actual transactions where someone is buying something/someone with bitcoins versus just the buying and selling of the coins themselves?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

No matter what happens, my life will be infinitely more fulfilling and successful than yours, and that makes me very excited.

lol what a loving weird post

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

hell. same

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

InternetJunky posted:

Is there any way to tell what percentage of bitcoin traffic is actual transactions where someone is buying something/someone with bitcoins versus just the buying and selling of the coins themselves?

99% of the buying and selling of bitcoins takes place on exchanges which has no connection to the blockchain because of how slow and limited it is.

All of those times the network ground to a halt due to trading? that was just to get money into or out of exchanges with officially accepted BTC blockchain transactions. Literally everything else has to be done off of the blockchain so people can actually trade it. You think anyone could have any kind of financial entity on the worlds slowest and most clogged transaction network?

This is also why bitcoin truebelievers are still dumb. The fact people will pay a shitload of money for them, enabled by things like exchanges, is in spite of Bitcoin not because of it.

See, I assume this poster is being a smug rear end in a top hat simply because they made money on bitcoin. Not because they think bitcoins were worth that money.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

I’d rather be broke with dignity than type out the sentence you felt the need to type to a stranger on a dead comedy forum.

Even by bitcoin standards that poo poo is embarrassing.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

InternetJunky posted:

the other poster nailed it but basically none of the transactions you see involving bitcoin on exchanges are happening with actual bitcoins. the bitcoins on exchanges are all in a russian scammer's wallet being laundered as we speak being traded "off chain". the exchange wallet has some coins but everyone's actual account is nothing more than a database row and a few numbers.

this is also what makes the "anonymous and infinitely verifiable" stuff laughable because the vast majority of actual transactions involving bitcoins do not involve bitcoins at all. the exchange just moves numbers around and scalps a few percentage points off the top.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

please put it all in doge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

So if I were to buy a candy bar or maybe 100kg of heroin, would that result in a transaction on the blockchain? I thought exchanges were only involved when actually doing conversions from/to bitcoins?