Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Eej posted:

If you mix glitter thoroughly enough then you get something inbetween the two colours yes. This works for glitter that is much larger than the ones they use in paint.

Alternatively you can use something like inks to create tinted metallic paint. I believe Marco even mixed Vallejo Metal Color with some glaze medium and inks to create homemade metallic contrast paint:

Timestamp here: https://youtu.be/KBc0ZuaYIPM?t=380

I never thought of just mixing inks and metallics together. I always applied the metallic paint first, then glazed over with inks/contrast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

I'm still very new, admittedly, but I've mixed Reaper Blade Steel with standard acrylics and gotten pretty good results.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Will the caps on these bottles work on vallejo bottles?

https://www.amazon.com/Timoo-Dropper-Bottles-Squeezable-Container/dp/B07XBXWR42

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hello here's a Trollblood model for Riot Quest / WMH. With this, I've painted every RQ model I own and that feels hella weird!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Started in on the Crimson Court-

Uploaded the images and only then noticed that I hadn't painted the straps of his vambrace, but whatever!

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

I have some brand X 15ml bottles I got off ebay which look like they match the size/proportions of these exactly. The lid and dropper cap will be too small to fit a Vallejo bottle.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Desfore posted:

I never thought of just mixing inks and metallics together. I always applied the metallic paint first, then glazed over with inks/contrast.

From what I understand, the glazing with ink method will keep a bit shine to the metal ; while mixing won't. So which method to use really depends on the desired end effect. This was on one of Vince's more recent Hobby Cheating video iirc.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

it doesnt really make sense to mix metallics with increased-flow paint like washes and contrast paints, because you don't want more metallic sheen on the recessed areas the paint is designed to pool in. you want a consistent sheen throughout, with increased shade in the recesses.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Started in on the Crimson Court-

Uploaded the images and only then noticed that I hadn't painted the straps of his vambrace, but whatever!

I dig the rusted armor. This dude looks like he has spent decades comatose in a coffin in his armor and woke up with a serious hankerin' for blood.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

My take on Duvalle.

Not wild on how he turned out, the original plan was for the armor to be black with highlights going into purple, but somehow it just ended up all purple. I'm not super good at highlighting, and his armor is so jagged and full of volumes that I had a hard time.

Pretty okay though.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I think he looks great, but needs another accent color to really pop. Maybe paint the vine/thorn motifs on his equipment in a contrasting green, it'd look really good and add tons of visual interest.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ignite Memories posted:

it doesnt really make sense to mix metallics with increased-flow paint like washes and contrast paints, because you don't want more metallic sheen on the recessed areas the paint is designed to pool in. you want a consistent sheen throughout, with increased shade in the recesses.

I believe the extra metallic flakes will get drowned out by the pooled shade? Either way, it's a trick they came up with for speed painting so it's not gonna be perfect.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Here's my entry for this month's painting competition at my LGS. Set out to do NMM but then decided to try out impressionist stuff like Nebalebadingdong does. I'm very happy with the green armor, and though I meant the axe to be steel, looks more like ice. Gonna keep practicing this technique, it's really fun.

Edit: here's the model in good lighting. Oh and I made the base out of a piece of foam poster board. Other stuff I tried to use on this to get out of my comfort zone was to not use washes or metallic paints, and avoiding using pure black. So the dark greens are just vallejo dark sea blue and the dark blues (used this even on the cape) are scale75 deep blue or cantabric blue

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 17, 2021

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Decided to paint something new so I printed this Archvillain Games knight. I'm happy with the way the red came out and the face!

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
so I have a pretty good idea of how to do it, so im guessing that GW painting guides are a loving joke, eh?

I bought the retributor armor spray for the Storm of Celestus Warband and holy frick you guys, that paint was insane expensive and the painting guide ended up calling for like 17 paints. many of which were just slightly lighter colored paints. and i covered 90% of the gold armor with multiple basecoats. What the heck

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

just bought my first airbrush 😁 got the badger 360 because it seems very versatile. what's the best Airbrush Guide for Idiots

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

just bought my first airbrush 😁 got the badger 360 because it seems very versatile. what's the best Airbrush Guide for Idiots

Congrats on making almost everything about mini painting faster.

For cleaning your airbrush, Vince Ventrullas ‘how to clean your airbrush fast’ is required viewing, it’ll save you a poo poo ton of difficulty and work and also demonstrates a good, efficient, and easy work flow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEIJs1c4bsQ

For general airbrush stuff, I found the miniacs ‘know nothing about airbrushes? Start here’ video is quite good.

e: I put in the link for Vince's cleaning video, he made several I think.

Just how good his video is, might be better appreciated by fumbling around with cleaning the airbrush on your own, constantly taking it apart and using the reamer and brushes and what not for half a year before viewing it, but as someone with that experience, I don't recommend it.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 17, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
So whats the best way to remove primer from a mini? I sprayed them black and I wanted to try something different like Wraithbone. Can I just prime over the primer? It's just for clanrats nothing major, or should I try to dunk them in something. If so, what?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's messy, time consuming, and doesn't always work like you'd expect - why not spray some white from the top down and experiment with zenithal priming?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

moths posted:

It's messy, time consuming, and doesn't always work like you'd expect - why not spray some white from the top down and experiment with zenithal priming?

I just googled this and it looks good. I have 20 clanrats to paint, I did one in Grey seer to try out the paint.

I have Corax White and Grey Seer. I wanted to try out a contrast painting method as I have the purple and green and fur and flesh paints and wanted to do that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

So whats the best way to remove primer from a mini? I sprayed them black and I wanted to try something different like Wraithbone. Can I just prime over the primer? It's just for clanrats nothing major, or should I try to dunk them in something. If so, what?

If you do decide to strip them, or if you ever need to strip paint in the future:

Super Clean (aka Purple Power in some regions) is safe for use on metal and plastic (unlike mineral spirits or acetone, which work faster but will damage plastic if you're not very careful) and actually works (unlike a lot of other paint stripping folk remedies in my experience.)

For metal minis leave them overnight, scrub them once and they'll basically be like new. Plastic takes a little longer and may take multiple dunkings. It will eventually dissolve superglue but it takes much longer than paint/primer and most of my models were either intact afterwards or only lost the most poorly-connected little fiddly bits.

You'll want chemical gloves and goggles -- it's pretty strong for a household cleaner and prolonged skin contact can cause burns.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 17, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you do decide to strip them, or if you ever need to strip paint in the future:

Super Clean (aka Purple Power in some regions) is safe for use on metal and plastic (unlike mineral spirits or acetone, which work faster but will damage plastic if you're not very careful) and actually works (unlike a lot of other paint stripping folk remedies in my experience.)

For metal minis leave them overnight, scrub them once and they'll basically be like new. Plastic takes a little longer and may take multiple dunkings. It will eventually dissolve superglue but it takes much longer than paint/primer and most of my models were either intact afterwards or only lost the most poorly-connected little fiddly bits.

You'll want chemical gloves and goggles -- it's pretty strong for a household cleaner and prolonged skin contact can cause burns.

I'm gonna do a test with one of the rats with some grey seer. I'm planning to try out Contrast paints with these boys so if it works great. If not I can just do em as I did em before.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Geisladisk posted:

My take on Duvalle.

Not wild on how he turned out, the original plan was for the armor to be black with highlights going into purple, but somehow it just ended up all purple. I'm not super good at highlighting, and his armor is so jagged and full of volumes that I had a hard time.

Pretty okay though.

Hit the armor with some Black Templar Contrast Paint if you still want that effect.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Two Beans posted:

Hit the armor with some Black Templar Contrast Paint if you still want that effect.

Black Templar needs to be thinned down a lot for this

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Here's some Monday inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrEoHoX45Ds

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

https://www.dollartree.com/las-tota...JhoCBXwQAvD_BwE

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Finished up this Karl Franz + Deathclaw finally :toot: Mostly happy with it, definitely some things I would do different next time, but that's painting baby.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013
Any decent sources for luchador-style heads? Got an idea kicking around for a Goliath gang.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'm finishing a painting supplies order, and I need help with 2 quick issues:

- Anyone know what Scale75 calls bronze? Actual metallic bronze, like bronze age armor? I really like their metallics, their naming sense not so much.

- What's a good basing paste (Vallejo preferred, but others might possibly be available) that I can poke with a brush and that does NOT contain any sand? I want something like irregular bone lattice left over by some alien organism.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pierzak posted:

- Anyone know what Scale75 calls bronze? Actual metallic bronze, like bronze age armor? I really like their metallics, their naming sense not so much.

- What's a good basing paste (Vallejo preferred, but others might possibly be available) that I can poke with a brush and that does NOT contain any sand? I want something like irregular bone lattice left over by some alien organism.

Have you considered Liquitex or Golden mediums?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Pierzak posted:

https://www.michtoy.com/item-SCL-SC92-Metal_N_Alchemy__Victorian_Brass_Paint_17ml.html

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cthulu Carl posted:

Have you considered Liquitex or Golden mediums?

Nnnno? Those are artist's brands, right? How are those mediums related to basing goop?

Thanks!

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Pierzak posted:

This will do what you want, it's basically the same as Vallejo Plastic Putty in a 1/2oz. bottle.

Interestingly, while I was looking for the plastic putty sku, I discovered Vallejo makes a mold line remover for half the price of Citadel. About time if it hasn't been around the whole time, imo.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Pierzak posted:

Nnnno? Those are artist's brands, right? How are those mediums related to basing goop?

you're missing out on a lot of options man...

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
tried painting paisley. its a bit messy but i guess it came out okay

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

chippocrates posted:

Any decent sources for luchador-style heads? Got an idea kicking around for a Goliath gang.

Cawdor heads and green stuff.

Or just Goliath heads and a little more green stuff.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Pierzak posted:

Thanks!

Go to your local art supply store, the locally owned one, not a massive chain. They will have Liquitex and Golden mediums, many of which are amazing for basing. Best of all they will have sample tiles of everything available, as those companies ship sample tiles out to anyone selling their products.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pierzak posted:

Decayed Metal is their brown/orange metallic base coat. It's brighter than it looks in the bottle.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I normally use neodymium magnets to magnetize the bases of my 28mm figs but I recently started painting some 15mm figs mounted on flat plastic bases and I'd like to magnetize them with magnetic sheeting.

What thickness of magnetic sheet is necessary to maintain a good grip in a metal container? Is 0.4mm thick enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Virtual Russian posted:

Go to your local art supply store, the locally owned one, not a massive chain. They will have Liquitex and Golden mediums, many of which are amazing for basing. Best of all they will have sample tiles of everything available, as those companies ship sample tiles out to anyone selling their products.

Oh I would, the problem is that it's over an hour's drive away and I can't really get out much atm due to health-related reasons.

I'll keep those in mind though.

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

This will do what you want, it's basically the same as Vallejo Plastic Putty in a 1/2oz. bottle.
I think I have the plastic putty and it seemed very meh for gap filling, so I'll put it on a test base and try to poke it into shape.

sassassin posted:

Decayed Metal is their brown/orange metallic base coat. It's brighter than it looks in the bottle.
Good to hear, I bought that one too.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 18, 2021