Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Class Warcraft posted:

Speaking of Zulus, I'm planning on running another play-by-post game here on the forum soon. This time we'll be replaying the battle of Isandlwana between the Zulu and British. There will be room for 10-12 players, and will feature a 12'x6' battle involving somewhere around 500-600 miniatures. British are painted, Zulus are halfway done, and I'm still 3D printing and painting up some more terrain.

Pictured: approx 280 Zulu

Hell yeah, down to down some Brits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cessna posted:

What's a good rules set for 15mm Ancients besides DBA these days?

I'm interested as well, especially something with compatible basing. I've got some 100YW an Marian Romans based or DBA, and my first batch of Carhaginians is being printed right now. That'll give me two pairs of historically matched armies.

I always liked DBA. it's simple, elegant, plays fast, and armies aren't huge. Any alternative would have to be better in at least a couple of categories. Or, of course, being what everyone else local plays (SF Bay Area).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Somehow I missed that question. I like Dux Bellorum, although it's post-Roman Britain so might not suit your needs for those armies.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I'm not sure what was in the Wargames Illustrated, but it looks like just the one sprue in both blue and grey, 12 per side. A bunch of line infantry, what looks to me like a command squad, a cannon, and a mounted officer.

Awesome, and thanks for this photo! It looks like the final game has two different assortments of poses - it's hard to tell at a glance, but the leftmost man in each line is wearing a different hat between the top and bottom half of the sprue.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Class Warcraft posted:

Black Powder has an expansion ruleset that deals with the AZW in more detail, but it's still not a great system to simulate it. Black Powder was written for units to represent a battalion, so when you get to things like Rorke's Drift where one side has ~100 men it has to do a bunch of gymnastics to make it work.

I prefer The Men Who Would Be Kings by Osprey. It's very beer-and-pretzels but made specifically for colonial combat and uses with the asymmetrical nature of those conflicts to it's advantage than trying to work around them.

---

Speaking of Zulus, I'm planning on running another play-by-post game here on the forum soon. This time we'll be replaying the battle of Isandlwana between the Zulu and British. There will be room for 10-12 players, and will feature a 12'x6' battle involving somewhere around 500-600 miniatures. British are painted, Zulus are halfway done, and I'm still 3D printing and painting up some more terrain.

Pictured: approx 280 Zulu

Link as soon as you're up, I'm going to kill some brits :shivdurf:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

BaronVanAwesome posted:

This is my first historical game, and to be honest I don't know a lot about the ACW in general - I'm pretty sure everything I know is from North and South from the NES. I have some reading to do - if anyone has any recommends for good movies/documentaries that would rule.
Fortunately for you, we just did an article about this very thing recently on Goonhammer (where the focus for the historicals team for the past two months has been the ACW). You can read it here: https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-books-tv-and-movies-to-help-you-get-started-with-american-civil-war-gaming/

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Ilor posted:

Fortunately for you, we just did an article about this very thing recently on Goonhammer (where the focus for the historicals team for the past two months has been the ACW). You can read it here: https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-books-tv-and-movies-to-help-you-get-started-with-american-civil-war-gaming/

This is cool, thank you! I think my dad used to have the PBS stuff on VHS once upon a time.

I've also definitely seen the Martin Sheen Gettysburg movie and all I remember is cackling at how bad his accent is

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

If you want to hear some truly awful southern accents watch Cold Mountain

don't watch Cold Mountain, it's terrible

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Book recommendation: The Myth of the Lost Cause: Why the South Fought the Civil War and Why the North Won by Bonekmper.

Very helpful for arguing against "it wasn't about slavery" blowhards.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My favorite counter to that argument is to just pull up and start reading off the Declaration of Causes of Secession for each of the confederate states. They all specifically say it's because of slavery.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Cessna posted:

Book recommendation: The Myth of the Lost Cause: Why the South Fought the Civil War and Why the North Won by Bonekmper.

Very helpful for arguing against "it wasn't about slavery" blowhards.

Good book and you'll need the ammo against "Lost Cause"ers if you're American lol. I think his treatment of Lee vs. Grant is a little uneven and is used as an extension of his anti-Lost Cause argument, and as military history it's not as great (the author ignores too many strategic variables like railroad infrastructure, telegraph usage, contemporary Napoleonic thought, etc. that would have characterized Lees decision making). I think it could also use some better background on the foundation of the US and the unanswered questions of federalism, and the founders inability to act on the mounting opinion that racial slavery was immoral as the direct lead to the civil war. Civil war is, after all, the ultimate expression of internal legal/political debate. If I recall correctly as well, there isn't much time spent explaining that Lincoln/Republicans only wanted to limit the spread of slavery i.e. via the Corwin Amendment et. al. IMO it's important to balance the destruction of the Lost Cause myth with the fact that most people earnestly believed Jeffersons bullshit about the wolf not being able to be contained nor freed, instead of elevating the Union to some morally superior position like the Confederate sympathizers have tried to do for a century+ with the CSA.

A very thorough and well researched/documented destruction of the Lost Cause myth, but you'll need to fill in the gaps with the military history of the ACW and early American history if you don't know much in that arena either.

e: I should include a book rec after criticizing another book like that. I still think "Battle Cry of Freedom" by McPherson is the best single volume work on the US civil war. Keegan's "The American Civil War: A Military History" is an excellent primer for a wargamer

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 27, 2021

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

e: I should include a book rec after criticizing another book like that. I still think "Battle Cry of Freedom" by McPherson is the best single volume work on the US civil war. Keegan's "The American Civil War: A Military History" is an excellent primer for a wargamer

Seconding "Battle Cry of Freedom" it does an excellent job covering both the military and political aspects of the war.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

A very thorough and well researched/documented destruction of the Lost Cause myth, but you'll need to fill in the gaps with the military history of the ACW and early American history if you don't know much in that arena either.

Agreed - I think it makes for a good starting point. It isn't the definitive history of the war by any means, but that doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile as a clearly laid out straightforward response to the "it wuz state's rights" bullshit.

ACW is a great subject for a game, but it attracts assholes. Just as WWII has Wehraboos, ACW gets Lost Causers. It's nice to have a concise summary of why they need to STFU, and this book is good for that.

Class Warcraft posted:

Seconding "Battle Cry of Freedom" it does an excellent job covering both the military and political aspects of the war.

Yes.

Fateful Lightning by Guelzo is another good 101-level intro.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Battle Cry of Freedom is fantastic because the author managed to slip a Marxist critique of industrial capitalism into the opening chapters of a widely circulated, Pulitzer winning American history book :v:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I'm partial to Catton's books on the Civil War. His prose evokes the grandeur and tragedy of the great events in motion better than anyone else I've read. The Coming Tragedy is an absolutely fascinating analysis of the 1860 presidential campaign and Buchanan's miserable lame duck period.

In other news, I got some 15mm Carthaginians out of my 3d printer. These are March to Hell 15mm Carthaginian archers (the other photos came out blurry). Good minis, but I'll have to be much more careful getting them out of the supports.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Those look awesome, almost enough to make a dude buy a resin 3d printer

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Endman posted:

Those look awesome, almost enough to make a dude buy a resin 3d printer

I had the same thought. It's nuts how good things are getting - give it another couple of years of hardware and .stl file development and you'll be able to decide you want to get involved in a new era or game and in 24 hours have a full (if unpainted) army.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Given how it's possible to print in multiple colours we might end up seeing some block coloured armies showing up by then.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
The industry is still in it's teething stages, but getting better to be sure. As discussed in this thread and the TG 3d printer one it's more waiting for producers to catch up with demand than the tools themselves. The company that makes those 3d models just announced a new line of smaller scale 1066 stuff which is good because their specific style of rendering doesn't work (to me) far above or below 15mm scale.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Arquinsiel posted:

Given how it's possible to print in multiple colours we might end up seeing some block coloured armies showing up by then.

I've got the same March to Hell kickstarter and I've honestly just considered switching resin colors between armies since I have multiple. I'd have transparent red romans and transparent green germans, but it would still be fun until I got them painted up.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

mllaneza posted:

I'm partial to Catton's books on the Civil War. His prose evokes the grandeur and tragedy of the great events in motion better than anyone else I've read. The Coming Tragedy is an absolutely fascinating analysis of the 1860 presidential campaign and Buchanan's miserable lame duck period.

In other news, I got some 15mm Carthaginians out of my 3d printer. These are March to Hell 15mm Carthaginian archers (the other photos came out blurry). Good minis, but I'll have to be much more careful getting them out of the supports.

did you clip them before curing? Because that helps

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I've got the same March to Hell kickstarter and I've honestly just considered switching resin colors between armies since I have multiple. I'd have transparent red romans and transparent green germans, but it would still be fun until I got them painted up.

That'll work to distinguish armies, but look at what Shapeways are doing with their "coloured sandstone" prints.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.

Buglord

mllaneza posted:

Heck yeah, March to Hell Rome has been an incredible value... Republican roman, imperial roman, Celts, germans, gauls, carthaginians, and more that they're still developing! Its hundreds of minis and more to come, and it was a wildly low cost to kickstart.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Springfield Fatts posted:

The industry is still in it's teething stages, but getting better to be sure. As discussed in this thread and the TG 3d printer one it's more waiting for producers to catch up with demand than the tools themselves. The company that makes those 3d models just announced a new line of smaller scale 1066 stuff which is good because their specific style of rendering doesn't work (to me) far above or below 15mm scale.

The cool thing about that to me is that the files will stick around forever, or at least as long as they're hosted and compatible with the printers - so hardware tech will move in fits and starts as different generations come out, but once there are solid files for an era they'll always be there. So the file libraries should (in theory) just keep growing as people fill gaps.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Huh.

Must admit I'm a little disappointed the second WA WW2 set is Germans, but I guess it makes sense to do a unit that the partisans can fight and they're not yet another Wehrmacht/SS kit. Also you can make them tank crew.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Huh.

Must admit I'm a little disappointed the second WA WW2 set is Germans, but I guess it makes sense to do a unit that the partisans can fight and they're not yet another Wehrmacht/SS kit. Also you can make them tank crew.

They're also releasing a French infantry kit that you can use to make WW1/WW2 French infantry that are supposedly almost done and should come out first.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Comments are tasty though. Looking forward to the French kit. We're planning a couple of daytrips to WW1 battlefields and museums,so that'll probably end up in a Blood and Valor project.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Wowshawk posted:

Comments are tasty though.

Hahaha, holy poo poo those comments are indistinguishable from parody. Everything from someone bitching about the wrong number of buttons to someone saying “I collect WW2 uniforms, mostly German... please leave your left-wing comments out of this”

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Yvonmukluk posted:

Huh.

There better be a ruleset to have a melee only army with mechanics dual wielding wrenches.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Notahippie posted:

Hahaha, holy poo poo those comments are indistinguishable from parody. Everything from someone bitching about the wrong number of buttons to someone saying “I collect WW2 uniforms, mostly German... please leave your left-wing comments out of this”
I checked the comments and I can't find anything all that even approaches "left-wing". :allears:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

JcDent posted:

did you clip them before curing? Because that helps

I did, roughly and had some damage. I've decided to forego the reusable gloves and just keep tapping work for disposables, the disposables give me much greater sensitivity and utility in my fingertips. That's going to be necessary for getting the 15mm out of the supports, along with actually clipping. The 28mm I've done I could cleanly get out of the supports entirely with just fingers, the 15mm are more sensitive.

I think for the pikes I'm going to remove them from the .stl files and replace them with accommodation for a 1 or 2mm brass rod. I'll also want to make some pointy ends for them of course. That will save a ton of printing time for the back rankers holding their pike upright - resin printers have to print every vertical layer, and they take the same time no matter if it's just few dots for the pikes.

As for a purchase; the printer I'm using is $399 on Amazon, a kilo of water washable resin is about $40, a nail curing UV light is about $28, and an ultrasonic cleaner is $30-$35. The full-sized printer is $699. The difference is a 6.1" or 9.3" diagonal on the printing area.

My first print here is 5 stands (DBA basing) of infantry; 1 foot command (3), 2 pike (4), and 2 archers (3) or 19 figures. Without the lowered pikes I could get another 4 figures on the base. This prints in 3.5 hours, about 45 minutes of that being just the top ends of the vertical pikes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen people swear by making a little jig and simply hammering the end of brass wire to make pike heads. They end up a bit alarmingly sharp to my mind though.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Arquinsiel posted:

I checked the comments
That way lies madness.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Wowshawk posted:

Comments are tasty though.

LOL that was an entertaining read and now I fully grasp why it’s difficult to attract people to gaming.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Having binged The Great I'm now inspired to make a Russian Imperial Army diorama. What's the best source for 18th Century Russians and a lady of the court? I see Zvezda made some Peter the Great's infantry, but they seem hard to find. I'm not attached to 1:72nd, I hear 54 mm is a popular wargaming scale too.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

Having binged The Great I'm now inspired to make a Russian Imperial Army diorama. What's the best source for 18th Century Russians and a lady of the court? I see Zvezda made some Peter the Great's infantry, but they seem hard to find. I'm not attached to 1:72nd, I hear 54 mm is a popular wargaming scale too.

There are tons of scales out there, from 6mm to 54mm. What you want to do with it is really what will determine which is best option.

Is it for display only, or do you intend to game with it? Do you just want a handful of really detailed figures, or a large scene with hundreds of men?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Class Warcraft posted:

There are tons of scales out there, from 6mm to 54mm. What you want to do with it is really what will determine which is best option.

Is it for display only, or do you intend to game with it? Do you just want a handful of really detailed figures, or a large scene with hundreds of men?

Display only. I would prefer a handful of detailed figured. The smallest I've ever painted is 1:72nd, and I don't think I would want to go smaller.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

Display only. I would prefer a handful of detailed figured. The smallest I've ever painted is 1:72nd, and I don't think I would want to go smaller.

28mm (1:56 scale) is pretty popular right now. I use this site to track down manufacturers of 28mm historical minis: https://28mmreview.blogspot.com/p/18th-century.html

This site is similar but for 1:72 scale: http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Saw a post on reddit about a guy showing off his plans for a 36ss-themed army. Before I could finish replying "you're a fuckhead" the thread had been deleted but :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Guest2553 posted:

36ss-themed army

I have no idea what this means.