Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

mdxi posted:

If you're in the mood for some prog-pop, I think this is a pretty good one.

(This band is made up of 3/4 of early 90s almost-was Jellyfish and half of mid 90s was-a-bigger-influence-than-success Imperial Drag.)

Thanks for posting this, both EP's are fantastic.

EDIT: This led me to Imperial Drag, and Yoko Kana samples "Zodiac Sign" for "Want It All Back", this is great stuff.

MarxCarl fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Roger Trigaux from Univers Zero and Present passed away recently. Really great overlooked avant-prog (all avant-prog is overlooked... fight me!). I've been revisiting some of the albums and they're great despite some of the production really not aging well. Also been getting back in some Flower Kings, they're just a fun band. Far from being super prog really, and often overindulgent but fun.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Which of you is this?

https://twitter.com/tywilc/status/1373703619376123906?s=21

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I was about to say that the pawprint brake light is what really makes it some Colorado poo poo, but then

https://twitter.com/tywilc/status/1373728810399539200?s=20

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I would drive that

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
That thing either had the greatest, most expensive sound system money can buy, or the worst stock, piece of crap ever offered by that model. There can be no in between.

Would still listen to the entirety of Hemispheres on it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

You should hang around and see if Krieger shows up

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That Jeep has me spinning Moving Pictures again and drat, this album has some of the tastiest sounds ever committed to tape on it. Geddy's ever so slightly slightly fuzzy Rickenbacker on Red Barchetta is unparalleled.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

There isn't a jazz thread so this is the next best place I guess. As a bass player this one hits loving hard. I loved this dudes playing. A legend. Him and Mike Clark were such a good combo.

https://twitter.com/notjessewalker/status/1375201148035031041

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVzzLXcpCu8

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Wiltsghost posted:

There isn't a jazz thread so this is the next best place I guess. As a bass player this one hits loving hard. I loved this dudes playing. A legend. Him and Mike Clark were such a good combo.

https://twitter.com/notjessewalker/status/1375201148035031041

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVzzLXcpCu8

Oh man that’s a loss. He was incredible.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Wiltsghost posted:

There isn't a jazz thread so this is the next best place I guess. As a bass player this one hits loving hard. I loved this dudes playing. A legend.

That’s a real shame. He was right up there with Stanley Clarke and Jaco.

Also, feel free to necro the Jazz Thread.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Everyone associates that style of sixteenth-note fingerstyle funk with Rocco Prestia but Paul Jackson had his own fantastic take on the style. Solid player.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ-ooL3Lank

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Big announcements from BBT today, including a new album out in July, first single below, and a 2022 tour that will INCLUDE North America!

https://youtu.be/wIQnhCcI4gA

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

XBenedict posted:

Big announcements from BBT today, including a new album out in July, first single below, and a 2022 tour that will INCLUDE North America!

https://youtu.be/wIQnhCcI4gA

Very excited for this. Have just checked and found out the July gig I had booked has been cancelled (didn't get a notification or anything) - apparently it may be rearranaged, but I've booked for next year's tour so at least have something in the diary for them. New album is equally exciting.

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh
Well, the latest offering from Frost* is here, and it's another belter! Here's the opening track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUsQ91xxXhQ Do your ears a favour.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm not completely sold on it yet compared to the other albums, but the drum production is top notch

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

Frazzbo posted:

Well, the latest offering from Frost* is here, and it's another belter! Here's the opening track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUsQ91xxXhQ Do your ears a favour.

Terrestrial is blowing my socks off!

Warthur
May 2, 2004

There's an enormous new Caravan boxed set coming out with lots of unreleased live stuff and remasters of all the studio albums and whilst I do love my Gentle Giant set, I can't quite get myself to preorder this one because Caravan kind of lose me by the mid-1970s and seemed to spend the next three decades in a creative slump, and a lot of the live stuff seems to hail from the fallow period. Thought I'd post here about it in case there are Caravan superfans who were desperate to get a new remaster of Cool Water or whatever.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Happy 75th TL

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rust Martialis posted:

Happy 75th TL

Wow surprised he’s that old. He looks great for 75.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Occasionally I like to Google the combination of "Tony Levin" and "hair". Tony himself has a few shots on his website making fun of his style when he was younger.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Time to go for a walk, get baked, and blast the bassline from Sledgehammer straight into my skull for an hour. Happy birthday Mr. Levin!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
King Crimson announced 2021 tour dates today. No word yet (That I've seen) on what's the deal if you bought tickets for a show and they've switched to a different venue in the same area...

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Well, they’re playing about the last place in Boston I’d want to see them. Might have to size up the Northampton show.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

fartknocker posted:

King Crimson announced 2021 tour dates today. No word yet (That I've seen) on what's the deal if you bought tickets for a show and they've switched to a different venue in the same area...

Seriously considering hitting up the St. Augustine show.

I think Atlanta tickets start at $80, with St. Augustine at half that. Of course, they're playing the Fox in Atlanta and an amphitheater in St. Augustine.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

holy poo poo, these ticket prices

king crimson: don't come see us unless you're a lawyer or something

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

hexwren posted:

holy poo poo, these ticket prices

king crimson: don't come see us unless you're a lawyer or something

Royal Packages are pricey, yup

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

I am considering flying a couple days early from CPH to TOAPP Camp to hit the Scottsdale show. Anyone going maybe?

I can't finalize travel yet - and really neither can the band - because you still can't fly from the EU to USA

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rust Martialis posted:

Royal Packages are pricey, yup

gently caress off, I'm just talking about the regular tickets

seriously, you and your constant smug "I'm so rich I go everywhere to meet my favorite band" poo poo is loving garbage, just loving leave

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

hexwren posted:

You know the band basically breaks even on tours, right? There's seven artists on stage plus a sizeable crew, plus tour management. All profit is equally split among 8 people after costs are deducted. They also do not play huge venues because the sound sucks. This caps their revenue per show even when they could sell out much larger venues.

Also I know of multiple cases where people who literally can't afford tickets have been given show passes because making money isn't why the band goes on tour.

So yeah, tickets aren't $5, but if they were, the band couldn't afford to tour AT ALL.

Robert Fripp is a horrible venal man gouging you with astronomical ticket prices.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

fartknocker posted:

"Anyone with an existing place reserved last year, who now needs to move to a different venue or apply for a refund, should contact iona@dgmhq.com."

From the tour announcement page on DGM.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Rust Martialis posted:

"Anyone with an existing place reserved last year, who now needs to move to a different venue or apply for a refund, should contact iona@dgmhq.com."

From the tour announcement page on DGM.

I’m pretty sure that just refers to the Royal Package referenced earlier in the same paragraph, not regular tickets bought elsewhere.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rust Martialis posted:

They also do not play huge venues because the sound sucks.

Someone dropped the ball on the Boston gig then. It’s the worst place to see a show inside city limits that’s not Fenway park or the hockey rink at BU. A big open outdoor tent next to a road and a wharf. On the plus side there are (lovely) tickets going for about $30 on Ticketmaster right now. Must be scalper tickets left over from the first run. I can’t imagine there are any venues bigger than this in Boston that they could reasonably fill. It’s 5,000 seat capacity. Theaters are in the 1000-2000 range, after that you’re getting into hockey rink territory.

I’ve also seen them in the best place (acoustically, but probably for sight lines too) in Boston, the theater at Emerson college, which was a really fun show. But I’ve also seen them at theaters and rock clubs, which were also really fun shows. King Crimson shows are great.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

hexwren posted:

seriously, you and your constant smug "I'm so rich I go everywhere to meet my favorite band" poo poo is loving garbage, just loving leave

chill out. i'd much rather hear about TOAPP camp than you complain about ticket prices

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

BigFactory posted:

Someone dropped the ball on the Boston gig then. It’s the worst place to see a show inside city limits that’s not Fenway park or the hockey rink at BU. A big open outdoor tent next to a road and a wharf. On the plus side there are (lovely) tickets going for about $30 on Ticketmaster right now. Must be scalper tickets left over from the first run. I can’t imagine there are any venues bigger than this in Boston that they could reasonably fill. It’s 5,000 seat capacity. Theaters are in the 1000-2000 range, after that you’re getting into hockey rink territory.

I’ve also seen them in the best place (acoustically, but probably for sight lines too) in Boston, the theater at Emerson college, which was a really fun show. But I’ve also seen them at theaters and rock clubs, which were also really fun shows. King Crimson shows are great.

The situation for the South Florida shows isn't much better. They're going from a solid venue that had like 4000~ seats to one that I think is going to be less than 2000 on a flat lawn. The regular tickets aren't going to transfer over, since Ticketmaster is still considering the original event as just "postponed" so I have no idea when I'll actually get refunded for it, which is a bummer but thankfully not a huge hit considering I bought them in March 2020 just before everything went sideways. As much as I'd love to see them, an outdoor show in July isn't exactly appealing, never mind the further increased travel distance and whatnot, so unless the tickets are stupid cheap or I'm able to snag insanely good seats, I'll probably pass.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

they're playing a minor league hockey/hair metal reunion tour/monster truck rally arena here

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

fartknocker posted:

The situation for the South Florida shows isn't much better. They're going from a solid venue that had like 4000~ seats to one that I think is going to be less than 2000 on a flat lawn. The regular tickets aren't going to transfer over, since Ticketmaster is still considering the original event as just "postponed" so I have no idea when I'll actually get refunded for it, which is a bummer but thankfully not a huge hit considering I bought them in March 2020 just before everything went sideways. As much as I'd love to see them, an outdoor show in July isn't exactly appealing, never mind the further increased travel distance and whatnot, so unless the tickets are stupid cheap or I'm able to snag insanely good seats, I'll probably pass.

It’s possible the show didn’t sell very well at the bigger venue and there will be no problem transferring tickets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Has anyone been to the St. Augustine venue for any band before? That and Atlanta is about an equal drive for me, but it looks like the St. Augustine cheap seats are going to be much cheaper than Atlanta. Plus, it's easier on traffic.