Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

BJW is weird because WWE let WALTER wrestle a show there in October 2019, and they don't normally do that kind of poo poo with anyone but EVOLVE or WxW or PROGRESS, so I guess everyone assumed some deal would happen which made no sense because, y'know, deathmatches.

Walter must have something in his contract that allows him to work anywhere he wants with the exception of televised events. He's the biggest star in Europe and has this awesome "I don't need WWE" attitude. They're desperate to keep him happy.

Re: WWE buying a Japanese promotion. Isn't there a law that prohibits any foreign company from owning a Japanese business? Like Disneyland Japan is technically owned by a Japanese corporation that licenses the Disney stuff? How would this affect WWE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Re: WWE buying a Japanese promotion. Isn't there a law that prohibits any foreign company from owning a Japanese business? Like Disneyland Japan is technically owned by a Japanese corporation that licenses the Disney stuff? How would this affect WWE?

If I recall, its only for certain sectors in business, and even then it just needs approval from the Japanese government. The only examples I could find are tech companies though.

As for headhunting talent, it depends on who we are looking at. Like as long as WWE is on good terms with Kairi and Io, it's still possible that talent could come from Stardom. And if they are desperate to keep Kairi happy, Io is going to get whatever the hell she wants to keep her signed and happy.

Hell, Giulia just a couple of months ago congratulated Hideki Suzuki for signing with them (as a coach) and expressed a vague amount of interest of working there at some point. Utami also mentioned she would wrestle in WWE if it meant being able to work with Io. Although she also outright said the chance is low, like 3% at best.

There are a couple of STARDOM talents I can/could have seen WWE making a serious play for. I think the only major talent there completely off the table is Mayu Iwatani. And that's mainly because she hates being outside of Japan for long periods of time and has a massive amount of loyalty towards Rossy and Stardom for helping her through her youth and some very dark periods in her life.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 16, 2021

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They don’t care about building their market in Japan just like they don’t care about building their market in the UK.

It’s been very obvious for a long time now that regional NXT expansions will exist solely so they can get a stranglehold on upcoming local talent who might otherwise go anywhere else to work and make money for another promotion.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

We Got Us A Bread posted:

The story of what exactly the problem was varies, and Kenny/The Bucks (who are also on record as feeling the same way Kenny does about him) have never directly said. But a MAJOR issue was that Kenny was the NJPW champion, had just had that series of matches with Okada, etc. and Meij refused to sign him to anything more than a 'handshake deal', kept loving him around on a new contract, and in general treated him and the Bucks like they were second-class citizens, despite Kenny being their champion. Kenny in particular said that the constant contract situation and the handshake deal meant that he couldn't really provide the Japanese government with proof that he had a stable job in Japan, and that hosed with his residency/citizenship. He was the NJPW champion, constantly in fear of being sent back to Canada.

Edit: I ran that by my wife, who's half-japanese and has worked in mostly Japanese-run companies, and she said that it sounded like Meij was from that era of "this is a Japanese company, and only Japanese things/employees matter, and foreigners should just be happy to be there", and that getting a Japanese company to put anything down on paper is really, really difficult if you're not Japanese.

This is weird to me because isn’t Meij Dutch? And wasn’t Meij’s whole thing that he was too focused on the international market that the rest of the njpw brass clashed with him for not focusing on the home market enough? Seems unlikely that he would be the driving force in not committing contract wise to gaijin while simultaneously putting the big belt on Kenny.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

History Comes Inside! posted:

They don’t care about building their market in Japan just like they don’t care about building their market in the UK.

It’s been very obvious for a long time now that regional NXT expansions will exist solely so they can get a stranglehold on upcoming local talent who might otherwise go anywhere else to work and make money for another promotion.

Oh. I definitely think they care about building their market in different countries. They want to be seen as THE wrestling sports entertainment company all over the world. It also squashes any sort of competition. Because WWE wants to make tons of money.

Hell, Nick Khan in a recent investors report mentioned WWE wants to break more into the Mexican market. Admittedly they are doing a very poor job of doing so with the mistreatment of people like Andrade (who is free now thankfully), Garza, and other Latin talent.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

We Got Us A Bread posted:

The story of what exactly the problem was varies, and Kenny/The Bucks (who are also on record as feeling the same way Kenny does about him) have never directly said. But a MAJOR issue was that Kenny was the NJPW champion, had just had that series of matches with Okada, etc. and Meij refused to sign him to anything more than a 'handshake deal', kept loving him around on a new contract, and in general treated him and the Bucks like they were second-class citizens, despite Kenny being their champion. Kenny in particular said that the constant contract situation and the handshake deal meant that he couldn't really provide the Japanese government with proof that he had a stable job in Japan, and that hosed with his residency/citizenship. He was the NJPW champion, constantly in fear of being sent back to Canada.

Edit: I ran that by my wife, who's half-japanese and has worked in mostly Japanese-run companies, and she said that it sounded like Meij was from that era of "this is a Japanese company, and only Japanese things/employees matter, and foreigners should just be happy to be there", and that getting a Japanese company to put anything down on paper is really, really difficult if you're not Japanese.

That type of attitude apparently used to be rampant in baseball in Japan. A guy could hit .300, hit 40 HR, and he'd be considered a "suketto" or a secondary/supporting player because he wasn't Japanese.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

abraham linksys posted:

Maybe they should just work with Taka Michinoku or something, doesn't he have a bunch of trainees who now can't work njpw and his own indie?

Am I wrong in reading this as TAKA trainees not being able to work NJPW and his own Indy? Because that doesn’t make any sense.

Also if they wanted to keep kairi happy, wwe should have allowed her to make an official appearance at the stardom anniversary show.

The only way stardom talent will wrestle in wwe is if if wwe owns stardom.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Does anyone have a video link to the Becky/Charlotte vs Pirates of Tomorrow match?

I did not see the match when it happened and I cannot find a link to the match online.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

I'm pretty sure NXT UK mainly came about as an attempt to snuff out ITV's attempt to bring back World of Sport (which I want to say snuffed itself out by not happening, but I'm not sure about that one).

Also, when they tried to buy Stardom I'm pretty sure the story was that Rossy asked them what their plans for the company were if they bought it and was met with a response along the lines of "Erm, well, you see, about that..." which led to him realising that there was no plan and went and sold to Bushiroad.

Then they tried the whole snuffing out the competition thing again in the States with the main NXT show. I forget how that went for them.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
There was no chance ITV was going to continue to produce World of Sport. It was a nostalgia run for British boomers who only know Big Daddy or Giant Haystacks. It's hilarious that WWE instantly went into panic mode about this and torpedoed the UK scene as a result.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Hoss Corncave posted:

I'm pretty sure NXT UK mainly came about as an attempt to snuff out ITV's attempt to bring back World of Sport (which I want to say snuffed itself out by not happening, but I'm not sure about that one).

Happened for a season, was fairly watchable but nothing special, then quietly went away.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Hoss Corncave posted:

Then they tried the whole snuffing out the competition thing again in the States with the main NXT show. I forget how that went for them.

Impact moved back to Thursdays

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's hilarious that World of Sport had Will Ospreay on their roster but sidelined him to focus on a middle aged Scotsman in a baseball cap

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

In terms of the talent they had, they got some pretty decent people involved. Rampage, Gabriel Kidd (pre young lion), Kay Lee Ray, Kip Sabian, Bea Priestley, Martin Kirby... admittedly this could also describe pretty much any non-micro UK indie in 2018.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Has WWE pushed a Mexican star since Sin Cara/Alberto? As distinct from Chicano.

There’s the cruiserweight champion of NXT. That’s about it since Andrade flamed out at US title facing the same three people for a summer.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
There's a PPV tonight apparently

Bobby Lashley vs. Drew McIntyre vs. Braun Strowman
Bianca Belair vs. Bayley
Rhea Ripley vs. Asuka vs. Charlotte Flair
Dolph Ziggler and Robert Roode vs. Rey Mysterio and Dominik Mysterio
Roman Reigns vs. Cesaro
Damian Priest vs. The Miz

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Digital Jedi posted:

There's a PPV tonight apparently

Bobby Lashley vs. Drew McIntyre vs. Braun Strowman
Bianca Belair vs. Bayley
Rhea Ripley vs. Asuka vs. Charlotte Flair
Dolph Ziggler and Robert Roode vs. Rey Mysterio and Dominik Mysterio
Roman Reigns vs. Cesaro
Damian Priest vs. The Miz

None of that sounds real.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Lamuella posted:

None of that sounds real.

It absolutely is, and the worst part is that in the two triple threat matches, its painfully clear that Braun and Asuka are eating the pins. Hell, Asuka got pinned clean by Rhea this last Monday, which begs the question of why she's even in the match anyways (the answer is so WWE has an excuse to continue running this lovely heatless awful Charlotte/Rhea feud when she eats the pin or taps out). And the same applies to Drew/Bobby, so they have an excuse to continue feuding after this when Braun eats the pin.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TV Zombie posted:

Am I wrong in reading this as TAKA trainees not being able to work NJPW and his own Indy? Because that doesn’t make any sense.

It's basically true, albeit with a caveat. TAKA did some sleazy personal life stuff and that was the end of him in New Japan & also guys who occasionally worked there from his indy, K-DOJO. And then K-DOJO severed from too, going as far as to rename themselves 2AW.

Meanwhile TAKA has created a new school, JTO, and so far they run less often.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Turns out he was...EVIL!

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Walter must have something in his contract that allows him to work anywhere he wants with the exception of televised events. He's the biggest star in Europe and has this awesome "I don't need WWE" attitude. They're desperate to keep him happy.

his contract states he wont chop them as long as they let him do what he wants

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

SatoshiMiwa posted:

WWE buying a company in Japan would be more about using an established name to both make an impact and also to make it easier to do long term business with arenas/touring/signing talent. Buying a smaller company wouldn't help accomplish that

I think NXT Japan is probably dead and buried and WWE will just focus on trying to sign Japanese talent and bury them in NXT/performance center but Covid is leaving a potential door open. Ticket sales cratering and TV money being non existent in Japan means a lot of companies are suffering and while Bushiroad/Cyberagent will probably be able to weather it other might not be. I could see if Japan isn't able to run full building till next year that a company like All Japan may look at WWE money and bite on it even if it'd probably run off most of it's fanbase

Though odds are if WWE is looking to try take over a market thats fallen due to Covid it's probably going to look at Mexico first where both CMLL and AAA are very much in trouble for very different reasons

The other big thing is business in japan is hard as gently caress to do as an outsider company. Companies that manage that hurdle find themselves having to do their business the "Japanese Way" or lose business. And that's two things that WWE historically has never managed: playing well with others and respecting local culture.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Golden Bee posted:

Turns out he was...EVIL!

Indeeeeed.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

forkboy84 posted:

It's basically true, albeit with a caveat. TAKA did some sleazy personal life stuff and that was the end of him in New Japan & also guys who occasionally worked there from his indy, K-DOJO. And then K-DOJO severed from too, going as far as to rename themselves 2AW.

Meanwhile TAKA has created a new school, JTO, and so far they run less often.

What did Taka do?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He'd been having an affair for 7 years. I don't think there's anything criminal or sexpest stuff, just messy personal things.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Reality Protester posted:

What did Taka do?

Cheated on his wife for 8 years

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

He’s been committing adultery for nine years

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

He'll be celebrating his 10th year of cheating on his wife this year

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
still, I'm surprised njpw would care that a wrestler is sleeping around for 11 years

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It got public and is the type of scandal that matters in Japanese media. Plus Taka wasn't home grown so it was probably easier to let him go than say someone who went up through the Dojo system

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Thousand Year Fling

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
oh there's a ppv tonight? Meh, it's not even money in the bank

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Money in the Bank will be canceled after they realize that nothing is going to top last year's event.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I remember when May meant it was king of the ring time. Wonder when Corbin's 2 year reign is gonna end

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
MITB canceled because Vince was concerned about telling talent that there are methods of obtaining money that aren't your independent contractor contract.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
theres a ppv happening in a couple hours lol

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Insertnamehere31 posted:

This is weird to me because isn’t Meij Dutch? And wasn’t Meij’s whole thing that he was too focused on the international market that the rest of the njpw brass clashed with him for not focusing on the home market enough? Seems unlikely that he would be the driving force in not committing contract wise to gaijin while simultaneously putting the big belt on Kenny.

From what I gather, Meij was VERY good at the finances part of things, not so much with everything else. By his own admission, he studied how the Japanese did business before going to NJPW, and I guess he went too far in that area in order to fit in...he never really understood what business he was in, and his plans for the international market appear to be "whatever popped into his head at the moment, based on assumptions that had no basis in reality." I looked around, and it's fair to say that it wasn't just Kenny/the Bucks, many people in NJPW were happy that he left.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

TAKA didn’t just have an affair. He was using his promotion’s mailing list to hit on women who bought tickets. I think GEORGE W BUSHI has mentioned it more than once in NJPW/puro threads.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kenny/Bucks didn't help Harold in some parts of the company but what really did him in was feuding with Chono and causing him to go work with NOAH which pissed of pretty much everyone in the office. And with his contract being so expensive that did him in even if he did have some major wins on the merchandise side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
i got a weird feeling Cesaro is gonna win tonight