Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Playing through the Total War Warhammer games again, in anticipation of TW Warhammer 3, if that doesn't get you wanting to play Warmaster I don't know what the gently caress will.
I have the starter Vampire Count army + extra bits in a cart.....waiting until I get drunk enough to pull the trigger. God drat does large units of block troops fighting to the death look and feel so bad rear end to play.

Warmaster is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

BaronVanAwesome posted:

If I have a ton of old pewter Delaque stuff, House of Shadows and a rulebook would be all I'd need, right?

In the mid term, you'd probably want at least something that can serve as a spider cyborg and/or roughly ogre-sized killbot. You'll also want access to the rules for the market (in Gangs of the Underhive) and the rules for your campaign (there are several separate sets of these) as well, although it's not something you'd need to learn the game playing skirmish matches.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Playing through the Total War Warhammer games again, in anticipation of TW Warhammer 3, if that doesn't get you wanting to play Warmaster I don't know what the gently caress will.
I have the starter Vampire Count army + extra bits in a cart.....waiting until I get drunk enough to pull the trigger. God drat does large units of block troops fighting to the death look and feel so bad rear end to play.

Warmaster is good

Agreed, and I'm saying that as someone who just sunk in too much money in a retro 4th-6th ed O&G army in 28mm.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Cease to Hope posted:

In the mid term, you'd probably want at least something that can serve as a spider cyborg and/or roughly ogre-sized killbot. You'll also want access to the rules for the market (in Gangs of the Underhive) and the rules for your campaign (there are several separate sets of these) as well, although it's not something you'd need to learn the game playing skirmish matches.

Thank you! I'm in the middle of a move and want to do a show-and-tell for some more of this weird old stuff but I'm trying to figure out what games I can actually play/what I'd need to get going.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

lilljonas posted:

Agreed, and I'm saying that as someone who just sunk in too much money in a retro 4th-6th ed O&G army in 28mm.

Hey there "spent too much money on a retro army" buddy. I recently finished spending waaaay too much on "wrapping up" my 6th ed VC. Turns out, there was far more than just wrapping up a few units involved...

Wish I was smart and just bought the stuff when I had a chance instead of just assuming at the time it would always be available.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

berzerkmonkey posted:

Wish I was smart and just bought the stuff when I had a chance instead of just assuming at the time it would always be available.

That's how they get'cha!

...looks around at all the poo poo in the rest of the room and then thinks about the stockpile in the garage that won't get painted before I die...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

whats the trick for painting the water?

These pics might help (click for big). I did this in 2014 so my memory isn't perfect, but this particular oath involved explaining everything I did so I can more or less recreate the whole process, I even had paint color notes in my pics! Also keep in mind I'm using citadel paints from ~1990, back then they made pots that sealed fully so almost all my oldest paints are still good 30 years later.

Primed a flat light gray.
Basecoat diluted Blue Gray

Green ink.
Dry brush blue gray

lightly drybrush space wolf gray
hand-highlight a mix of skull white & space wolf gray

Pick out the tiny brown ship, dab nearly pure skull white into the very tips of some waves

the lighting for all of these pics is poor, so the colors aren't exactly faithful, but I think the key things are to use both blues and greens, and to aggressively highlight "foam" onto the high waves.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 16, 2021

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013
Question about plasma blastguns in AT:

Do you just roll the hits separately for the purposes of scattering then resolve all the hits against the same target at the same time, hitting the same location?

That's how I read it but a potential 4 hits at strength 10 (maximal fire) against the same location seems pretty wild.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's been a while since I've played, but yeah, that's how you do it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Looks great, Leperflesh! I've always been intimidated of painting water, but your post makes it seem so easy! :D

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Leperflesh posted:

These pics might help (click for big). I did this in 2014 so my memory isn't perfect, but this particular oath involved explaining everything I did so I can more or less recreate the whole process, I even had paint color notes in my pics! Also keep in mind I'm using citadel paints from ~1990, back then they made pots that sealed fully so almost all my oldest paints are still good 30 years later.

Primed a flat light gray.
Basecoat diluted Blue Gray

Green ink.
Dry brush blue gray

lightly drybrush space wolf gray
hand-highlight a mix of skull white & space wolf gray

Pick out the tiny brown ship, dab nearly pure skull white into the very tips of some waves

the lighting for all of these pics is poor, so the colors aren't exactly faithful, but I think the key things are to use both blues and greens, and to aggressively highlight "foam" onto the high waves.

time to start making youtube videos my friend.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hah! that's very kind, but A) I haven't painted a mini in 4 years, and B) I'm really not very good. I've been focusing on woodworking as a hobby lately. Might get back into painting this year, we'll see.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Leperflesh posted:

Hah! that's very kind, but A) I haven't painted a mini in 4 years, and B) I'm really not very good. I've been focusing on woodworking as a hobby lately. Might get back into painting this year, we'll see.

well you're better than I am, by a large margin.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Bone Boys Boss lookin' pretty mean:

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

That's absurdly OP- on that note, are there any good warband comparison resources? I feel like there has been pretty significant power creep over the course of this game

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
It's usually confined to entire seasons being better than previous ones. There are certainly warbands that are better than others, but if you have the right cards, you can wind up beating any warband.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Mugsbaloney posted:

That's absurdly OP- on that note, are there any good warband comparison resources? I feel like there has been pretty significant power creep over the course of this game

Yes and no. It very much depends on how they can score

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Yes and no. It very much depends on how they can score

A lot of people scream OP, but all I can see is a slow monster, and a bunch of soft 1 damage 2 HP, 3 move free Glory points. They do not look good as aggro (low HP with lowish move), and they look too slow for objective play (will see how the free move to support works out on this). They inspire by killing, and it was not clear for me if they have a single Tithe pool or each fighter collects it separate... Because that's either a very aggro oriented inspire condition or an extremely aggro oriented one.
A friend of mine claims this will be great as a control objective team, like late Sepu, but for that they lack resurrection. If this season you can somehow get a lot of activate multiple times extra attack cards in this deck, then the giant Skeleton might be a real threat. All in all this warband seems interesting and want to see what people do with them.

Hopefully we will start seeing more events at this side of the world, so I will know slightly more about how things work out in S4.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Yeah, a single tithe pool, and they need 2 4+ wound fighters or 3 smaller fighters dead to get enough to inspire - there's a couple gambits that let the opponent choose between giving tithe or getting a penalty, and the lieutenant guy has an upgrade that lets him get tithe for free (but he has to be in enemy territory and he's 1 defense 3 wounds...), but on the whole I feel they're going to struggle to inspire before turn 2. And since their big scary boss is move 3 and doesn't have range or break the action economy like some other big boys, he'll be relatively easy to just ignore (which will probably be the best bet until Ferocious Resistance finally gets banned). Plus a lot of their upgrades are for Morteks only, which are in the end 2-wound scrubs.

Still, they're hardly weak - that's a whole lotta hammers they're rolling, and an awful lot of the Morteks hit for 2 damage base, often boosted on supports. I feel like, if used well, they could be quite powerful, but they'll have a bit of a learning curve - which is the standard story for this season, really.

Also I always read the leader's name as Mr. Kainan when just glancing at the card, though, which is hilarious to me.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The resellers are listing Cursed City without figures in these $50-$60USD range. Since GW is selling the villains separately, is it worth trying to reconstruct the set or better to wait / skip?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

The resellers are listing Cursed City without figures in these $50-$60USD range. Since GW is selling the villains separately, is it worth trying to reconstruct the set or better to wait / skip?

Depends on whether or not you want the game. Are you willing to take the risk that GW just walks away and never prints it again? People say it's not a spectacular game (though I don't know how much of this is skewed by unusually high expectations and/or perceptions being colored by GW seemingly dropping the game entirely) so you might also want to take that into account.

Personally, I think if GW s releasing something you want, you should get it upon release (assuming you can), because they have a very spotty track record of keeping things in print. CC is obviously an exception, since a lot of people couldn't get it out of the gate, but ultimately it comes down to asking yourself if you really want this thing and if you're willing to pay above retail or take the time, effort, and cost to try to piecemeal a set.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

moths posted:

The way the sprues are laid out it seems unlikely they will release all the models as separate kits.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

You would probably have to use a bunch of proxies for a lot of the models. But I'm kind of surprised that the game with no models is going for that much, I feel like that price will drop.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

berzerkmonkey posted:

Depends on whether or not you want the game. Are you willing to take the risk that GW just walks away and never prints it again? People say it's not a spectacular game (though I don't know how much of this is skewed by unusually high expectations and/or perceptions being colored by GW seemingly dropping the game entirely) so you might also want to take that into account.

It's a bad game, would not recommend to anyone, there are just so many better ways to spend time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah, I think the draw for me was that I'm a sucker for dungeon crawls and cool figures. And then probably some double FOMO.

I'll either wait for it to drop to the $20-30 range and play with tokens or get a real reissue if that every happens.

Thanks for the insight, everybody.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

GW has this weird draw for me where they make my favorite models by a wide margin, but a lot of their games are incredibly tedious or frustrating to play. I wouldn't mind paying $200 for a board game loaded with GW minis, so long as the game itself is worth the time to play and rewarding.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I bought CC at launch and while I've been loving assembling and painting the figs I'll probably never actually play the game -- and certainly not until covid restrictions ease up fully. I'm far more likely to just use the figs along with other generic fantasy ones in a Rangers of Shadow Deep campaign.

As such, I'm going to hold onto the game contents for now, but if in a little while they haven't been reprinted and I decide I'm definitely not going to use them I'll sell them for a reasonable price here, so keep an eye on the thread.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
How is aeronautica imperialis? My intrest has been peaked with the new starter coming out.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Ehhhh... beer & pretzel-y, people that played the original/Forgeworld version largely prefer that one.

Having plastic planes is nice, and it is sorta supported, but good luck finding books/boards outside of a release window.

If you are psyched about it, go for it?

Drunken_Pirate
May 7, 2007

MeinPanzer posted:

I bought CC at launch and while I've been loving assembling and painting the figs I'll probably never actually play the game -- and certainly not until covid restrictions ease up fully. I'm far more likely to just use the figs along with other generic fantasy ones in a Rangers of Shadow Deep campaign.

As such, I'm going to hold onto the game contents for now, but if in a little while they haven't been reprinted and I decide I'm definitely not going to use them I'll sell them for a reasonable price here, so keep an eye on the thread.

They appear to have removed the link to Cursed City from the Age of Sigmar website recently. Also the interactive map which hinted at future content is gone. It seems unlikely we'll hear any more from it but definitely wait and see.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Eediot Jedi posted:

It's a bad game, would not recommend to anyone, there are just so many better ways to spend time.

Nah it's fun.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The cursed city models are mostly great though, except Radurkar, the zombies (their multi part kit is so much better) and Octren BeardSnap. I bought the set as I thought it was an ok game based on previews, intended to play it, and intend to use the heroes for a whq95 set. The miniature scale problem stumped me for a while until I realised I could resize board scans and print them to be big base friendly, stick them to foam core.

There is only room for one awful whq game in my heart and 95 has it. I've heard Shadows of Brimstone is pretty much the spiritual successor to whq95 maybe I should try that.

E:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nah it's fun.

How much have you played? If you've cleared the second set of bosses and still think it's fun I have to respect you masochism.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 18, 2021

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
For anyone who has had success getting their hands on the Crimson Court Underworlds warband, where did you get it?

I put in a pre-order with the main UK webstore I order from over a month ago now but they didn't fulfill it and they've just got back to me to say that they have no idea when they'll be getting more stock in...

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 19, 2021

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Drunken_Pirate posted:

They appear to have removed the link to Cursed City from the Age of Sigmar website recently. Also the interactive map which hinted at future content is gone. It seems unlikely we'll hear any more from it but definitely wait and see.

Someone give me that "Guy Airbrushed Out of Photo With Stalin" pic, but Stalin is GW and the guy is Cursed City

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Cthulu Carl posted:

Someone give me that "Guy Airbrushed Out of Photo With Stalin" pic, but Stalin is GW and the guy is Cursed City

A friend just told me to run to the store one town over as they might have found an unsold copy and I just... can't be bothered. I'm just so put off by the whole thing.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MeinPanzer posted:

For anyone who has had success getting their hands on the Crimson Court Underworlds warband, where did you get it?

I put in a pre-order with the main UK webstore I order from over a month ago now but they didn't fulfill it and they've just got back to me to say that they have no idea when they'll be getting more stock in...

I'm in the US and got mine from my usual supplier, not that it helps you, being in the UK. As you probably know, GW is having tons of logistical problems right now, and the Crimson Court is OOS on GWs site as well. It's a super popular kit coupled with supply issues, so it's going to be difficult to get for a while. GW is also limiting retailers to a trickle (one or two items upon first wave release) so that isn't helping anything. I think it's a combination of GW wanting to give everyone something, even if it's a crumb, coupled with them misguidedly trying to combat retailer scalping on Ebay ("Gee, why does this random Ebay seller have 100 copies of Cursed City available for $300 a pop?")

The obvious assumption is that it will be back in stock at some point, we just gotta wait.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 19, 2021

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I went to the OP to look for the discord info and didn't find anything. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

(Also, all the images are broken)

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

This is the TradGames discord that I know of: https://discord.gg/HtXKXSQT

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I got my Hive War box, and can confirm that there're no campaign rules in the rulebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Electric Hobo posted:

I got my Hive War box, and can confirm that there're no campaign rules in the rulebook.

why is gw like this