Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I recall coming across some white British rap group from the early 90s on YouTube not too long ago. The album cover was in fact blue and was of apartment buildings. However it had like 300 views so I'm not sure it's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Every once and a while I'll search Google for this middle school level collection of spooky stores that I know is across the country at my parents place. I may be merging 2 or more books together but the stories I remember are.

1. Two school kids make a carrot cake during daylight savings so it's like it never happened. Spooky. There was something about their teacher and they go missing at the end I think.

2. This one is called jaguar in the night or something similar. A guy is backpacking in central America? Sees a jaguar and runs into the jungle where he is captured by aztec guys and ritually sacrificed.

3. Two school girls go to a shady warehouse to buy second hand clothes. One gets trapped/rolled up in a rug and gets eaten by cockroaches and the other just assumes the first left and leaves.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Yond Cassius posted:

Not exactly the same truck, but the Electrical Trades Gift Store can probably repro it on a different toy base, especially if you can send them pictures. If your dad was a lineman they can even put his truck number on it.

Awesome! Thanks fella, this will make my mom happier than my dad that we're able to do this. Appreciate it.

Thx to action Jacktion as well but none of those are con ed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The mystery white boy rap group was probably Organized Rhyme

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Wudz posted:

It's not this but I hope this brings you inspiration on your search

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNyk9QTEzJU

This is basically the idea. It got into their training and the enthronement rules. All the competitors had strategies and signature moves. I still remember one guy's movie was called "sailing to Ecuador on a ship made of shoestring." Most of the comedy came from the way the ridiculous premise was played completely straight.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'm trying to find a web series I only half remember.

It was on youtube, a live action thing. It took place in an office setting, and the main character was a woman. In the first episode there was something really surreal about it, all of the interactions between her and the people in the office were extremely stilted. It was kind of reminiscent of something maybe you might show to someone learning English for the first time in that statements were made so plainly, and would just kind of hang in the air before the next thing would happen. But it gave it this really uneasy sense.

But, if I remember right that sense of vague unease was continually exaggerated until it became overt horror.

I want to say it was produced over 7 years ago though when specifically, I can't say

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Mr. Lobe posted:

I'm trying to find a web series I only half remember.

It was on youtube, a live action thing. It took place in an office setting, and the main character was a woman. In the first episode there was something really surreal about it, all of the interactions between her and the people in the office were extremely stilted. It was kind of reminiscent of something maybe you might show to someone learning English for the first time in that statements were made so plainly, and would just kind of hang in the air before the next thing would happen. But it gave it this really uneasy sense.

But, if I remember right that sense of vague unease was continually exaggerated until it became overt horror.

I want to say it was produced over 7 years ago though when specifically, I can't say

Catherine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMwIBkShyzw

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yes! Thank you!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

The mystery white boy rap group was probably Organized Rhyme

I considered that, especially with the 1920s Italian hat thing, but I don't know how someone would forget that Tom Green was in the group

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

One episode in and I'm already hooked. It feels exactly like Destinos or some other series meant to teach a second language.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I considered that, especially with the 1920s Italian hat thing, but I don't know how someone would forget that Tom Green was in the group

Honestly it's not super obvious that it's him if you're not looking for him.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Other white rappers who were heard in Australia - Goldie Lookin Chain?

Edit: that time period would line up with it being something like Resin Dogs or Katalyst

Jumpsuit fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 11, 2021

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I didn't find my last book, but there is another I'd like to find.
It is probably a young adult book (or series of books), I am fairly sure the protagonist is called Ptolemy. I thought the book had his name in the title but that has not given any clues. He somehow found (or built) a robot and a coin, he put the coin into the robot and it came alive. The robot talked to him and guided him to do whatever the book was about. The main thing was that the robot was not sentient, and it had been programmed millenia ago and was simply acting out to match what they thought was most likely to occur.
Probably about saving the world, or at least whoever had created the robots.
Any ideas?

Doug Sisk fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 12, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There was this old video that was briefly pretty popular on the forums, that was called something like "pokin a dead pig with maggots" that always made me laugh, but as far as I can tell it's been erased from the internet. It's not as gross as it sounds. It's some kid with a funny southern accent poking at a long dead pig with a stick and going "peeewwie that pigs a stankin ewwieeee"

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 12, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hip hop song probably between the years of I'd say 2003 and 2013 that had a refrain like "we a(re?) going hard, we a going hard" or something like that. I'd say it was a big enough song to get some decent airtime but I doubt it was ginormous

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Harvey TWH posted:

Platform Hero was a recurring Flash Tub segment here on SA in 2005, so that'd be Shmorky indeed. As long as you have a browser that will play Flash, or another way to open swf files (since you can just download them), you'll be set. https://www.somethingawful.com/series/platform-hero/ It's 8 parts, and although many Flash Tubs have been converted to youtube, all I can find is a short "ending" video that may or may not be part of those 8 (since I haven't gotten my own solutions up and running yet to watch them): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=demTJahJCtI

(Now that SA is under new ownership, I am really hoping old front page content isn't weeded out. Does anyone know what the plan is? Even if converting all the Flash content, including easter eggs, to something else would be a daunting task, keeping the original content available would surely not be a bad idea.)

Thanks sooooo much! I always liked the Flash Tub, and I was sure the name was Platform Hero and the author. They mainly came out after my third hospitalization and I had no internet access while in restraints, so I missed them and search was unavailable (according to Radium lmao). Also I re-joined to pass :10bux: to Lowtax because of Fashion SWAT’s “exposé” on Etro’s Beards. Lots of funny-at-three-am stuff on the front page every day.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Maybe not for years but I've been trying for a little while to find a high resolution image of a ?poster? of Su Daji from the Jiang Ziya movie and I have been coming up empty. I feel like there must be a source image out there but I just lack the search chops to find it. The design is siiiick as hell.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Ramc posted:

Maybe not for years but I've been trying for a little while to find a high resolution image of a ?poster? of Su Daji from the Jiang Ziya movie and I have been coming up empty. I feel like there must be a source image out there but I just lack the search chops to find it. The design is siiiick as hell.

It's not huge, but Deskcity has a large[r] version; how big do you want it?

1904x2304

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 17, 2021

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Yond Cassius posted:

It's not huge, but Deskcity has a large[r] version; how big do you want it?

1904x2304

The bigger the better, but that's Pretty Good. How would I best go about hunting a higher res version of this sort of thing?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Ramc posted:

The bigger the better, but that's Pretty Good. How would I best go about hunting a higher res version of this sort of thing?

Oh, actually, I think I was able to find the original. It comes from a Pixiv artist apparently.

Image #8 in this gallery - you'll need a Pixiv account to see original size and I'm not 100% sure how big it is.

Google Reverse Image Search and TinEye are usually your fastest "close enough" sources - upload the copy you have (or paste the URL) and see what it comes up with for similarities. That's how I got the higher-res version before. Especially for getting higher-res copies, a lot of the process is just clicking the link at the top for "finding other sizes" and sifting through the hit-or-miss that will come up.

It obviously doesn't help here, but if you are sharp-eyed you can often find an artist's signature hidden somewhere and try to find their primary homepages; poking around there is a good bet.

For fanart and stuff that gets heavily slung around social media, saucenao can sometimes help you find the original, and seems to have better search around DeviantArt/Pixiv/etc. That's where I got this second link.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

By squinting and willing myself to read Chinese (clicking around) the deskcity site I was able to find it even bigger and I think that'll do

http://up.deskcity.org/pic_source/1f/f8/07/1ff807ba2727b3e50660a874ec90bf4e.jpg

Thanks again!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
:geno: I enjoyed watching this

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Less for me, more for work. We use an older (originally from the 90s if not earlier) RedPrairie management software suite for filling warehouse orders. Ancient poo poo, built for VT100 terminals, pure black and white text entry. This software is hosted offsite through a terminal that obfuscates what the software actually is, and nobody on the IT side will disclose, but RedPrairie only seems to have had one relevant product line until they were merged in 2013 (when our last version dates from). I've been looking for the bloody software manual for months now with minimal to no success. If there's some resources I should be plumbing the depths of, haven't found it yet.

Finding this manual is a Very Big Deal but our own team has totally given up on its existence. I'm not convinced it exists either. But figuring out one specific function in this whole drat thing would let me automate away the core cause of my wrist RSI and maybe actually make a recovery instead of the current prolonging. I've nearly reached the point of reaching out to the company they merged into to see if they maintain old software documentation, despite this never having held true in the past. I'm aware of the odds that this is some custom job and that no documentation exists but I'm gambling on it anyway.

If a future coworker somehow finds this in their own search: run while you still can.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 17, 2021

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
A cartoon where some prince turns into a frog then becomes a french secret agent with a very strong french accent. Double 0 freddie or something?

He gets attached to british intelligence when a supervillain just steals a bunch of monuments with some kind of levitation ray, does some kind of infiltration mission by hiding in Big Ben with two british agents (sexy love interest and well-meaning potato). They make a joke about the frog thing:

:) The new agent is here sir, he's... well, he's a frog
:wotwot: I say, that's no way to talk about our noble french allies!
:( No, I mean green skin
:wotwot: Oh. Well, send him in.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

A cartoon where some prince turns into a frog then becomes a french secret agent with a very strong french accent. Double 0 freddie or something?

He gets attached to british intelligence when a supervillain just steals a bunch of monuments with some kind of levitation ray, does some kind of infiltration mission by hiding in Big Ben with two british agents (sexy love interest and well-meaning potato). They make a joke about the frog thing:

Freddie the Frog, or Freddie as FR07. Different market titles.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

SkyeAuroline posted:

Freddie the Frog, or Freddie as FR07. Different market titles.

AND it's got Brian Blessed in!

Thank you!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

gently caress I knew this one.

Does it count as solved if I'm late

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

SkyeAuroline posted:

Less for me, more for work. We use an older (originally from the 90s if not earlier) RedPrairie management software suite for filling warehouse orders. Ancient poo poo, built for VT100 terminals, pure black and white text entry. This software is hosted offsite through a terminal that obfuscates what the software actually is, and nobody on the IT side will disclose, but RedPrairie only seems to have had one relevant product line until they were merged in 2013 (when our last version dates from). I've been looking for the bloody software manual for months now with minimal to no success. If there's some resources I should be plumbing the depths of, haven't found it yet.

Finding this manual is a Very Big Deal but our own team has totally given up on its existence. I'm not convinced it exists either. But figuring out one specific function in this whole drat thing would let me automate away the core cause of my wrist RSI and maybe actually make a recovery instead of the current prolonging. I've nearly reached the point of reaching out to the company they merged into to see if they maintain old software documentation, despite this never having held true in the past. I'm aware of the odds that this is some custom job and that no documentation exists but I'm gambling on it anyway.

If a future coworker somehow finds this in their own search: run while you still can.

I work in a related field (we integrate with WMS like this for order management). All I know is RedPrairie was an as400 mainframe solution, which matches your description to a tee. I don't know of it still is, but given that vintage is try your luck on old newsgroup searches or maybe archive.org

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Scaramouche posted:

I work in a related field (we integrate with WMS like this for order management). All I know is RedPrairie was an as400 mainframe solution, which matches your description to a tee. I don't know of it still is, but given that vintage is try your luck on old newsgroup searches or maybe archive.org

Hell, that's a lot more to go on already than I had (I only get the user end, and our one IT guy for it has carved out permanent job security by refusing documentation of either side). Thanks. I'll see what I can find from there.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Maybe pop into the SHSC "poo poo that pisses you off" thread and drop a Q. Pretty diverse array of people in there.

Edit-and an ancient unsupported as400 application definitely qualifies for the thread

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Hell, that's a lot more to go on already than I had (I only get the user end, and our one IT guy for it has carved out permanent job security by refusing documentation of either side). Thanks. I'll see what I can find from there.

Trying offering him a six pack in exchange for showing you how to set a routine. That way he keeps his overall knowledge to himself and your wrist has a chance to heal.

But also dash off an email to the post-merger company, thats free and doesnt hurt.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Scaramouche posted:

Maybe pop into the SHSC "poo poo that pisses you off" thread and drop a Q. Pretty diverse array of people in there.

Edit-and an ancient unsupported as400 application definitely qualifies for the thread

Done. Good call. I think I posted in there months back.

kupachek posted:

Trying offering him a six pack in exchange for showing you how to set a routine. That way he keeps his overall knowledge to himself and your wrist has a chance to heal.

But also dash off an email to the post-merger company, thats free and doesnt hurt.

He's (un)fortunately something like 1800 miles away, refuses Slack and emails (including official tickets), and will only coordinate by Teams (which only sometimes works) or by phone call. Weird dude.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

SkyeAuroline posted:

He's (un)fortunately something like 1800 miles away, refuses Slack and emails (including official tickets), and will only coordinate by Teams (which only sometimes works) or by phone call. Weird dude.

Living the dream he is. Sorry but I cannot support your quest if it puts a lumpen sysadmin out of work.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

shadow puppet of a posted:

Living the dream he is. Sorry but I cannot support your quest if it puts a lumpen sysadmin out of work.

He'll still be the only one with any authority and his job is not nearly as at risk as he thinks it is. (ie, it's not at risk at all because he is literally the only IT guy above "can connect monitors and power cycle workers' computers" in authority for a multinational company)

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

In the 90s I had a board game I vaguely remember the details of. It came in a big blue/cyan box and had a picture of what I think was a big snake on it. It was western-themed, I think. The board itself looked something like a four-sided mountain or coal mine with doors on each side and your goal is to avoid a spring-loaded snake that gets flung randomly out of one of the doorways.

I tried looking up snake-related 90s board games, but couldn't find anything resembling it. It's not Snakes & Ladders or Don't Get Rattled!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yoshi Jjang posted:

In the 90s I had a board game I vaguely remember the details of. It came in a big blue/cyan box and had a picture of what I think was a big snake on it. It was western-themed, I think. The board itself looked something like a four-sided mountain or coal mine with doors on each side and your goal is to avoid a spring-loaded snake that gets flung randomly out of one of the doorways.

I tried looking up snake-related 90s board games, but couldn't find anything resembling it. It's not Snakes & Ladders or Don't Get Rattled!

Rattler!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk3B68gnhkU

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

There it is, thanks! My Google-fu was failing me pretty hard on this somehow. Didn't help that it didn't have the word "snake" in the name.

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hip hop song probably between the years of I'd say 2003 and 2013 that had a refrain like "we a(re?) going hard, we a going hard" or something like that. I'd say it was a big enough song to get some decent airtime but I doubt it was ginormous

There was a Kesha song with that line repeated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMZ1A3QPlc

For my question: There's a funny looking picture of Obama and Biden. Biden is kind of squatting and has his arms spread out (possibly pointing). One arm is lined up with Obama's groin. Obama is looking down with a smug or proud smirk on his face. I made a crude drawing of my memory.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

bar88537 posted:

There was a Kesha song with that line repeated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMZ1A3QPlc

Oh thank god it was definitely not that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Milo and POTUS posted:

Male or female artist?