Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

ILL Machina posted:

Hill giant dex isn't great
Thrown weapons can use strength or dexterity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HBomb
Sep 26, 2004

All aboard.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

This is all great and good until the ring accidentally brushes up against your ammo pouch with 200+ cannonballs in it

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I think it's a great and clever use of game mechanics, would let them murder the heck out of whoever they try to use it on, and then have it fail in a hilarious fashion at an opportune time. The way its meant to be played.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

What if you could get the magic flintlock to fire angry chimps?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

axolotl farmer posted:

Fire at what, a guy who knows judo or like an even angrier chimp or what?

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

The grizzly bear people are completely insane, i'm pretty sure a grizzly's skull is like 6-8 inches thick and literally will bounce/catch handgun rounds.

The running joke on gun forums when someone asks what kind of handgun they should get to protect themselves from grizzly bears is to be sure to remove the front sight so it hurts less when the bear shoves it up your rear end.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

axolotl farmer posted:

Look just because the chimps are angry doesn't mean they have to lose their job.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

axolotl farmer posted:

https://twitter.com/heymermaid/status/1282818901475237889?s=19

https://twitter.com/heymermaid/status/1282821216072544256?s=19

The rest of the tweet chain is also pretty good

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
The 5e rules for reduce are :

quote:

Reduce. The target's size is halved in all dimensions, and its weight is reduced to one-eighth of normal.

So if you figure a 10 lb cannonball, it would still be a 2.25 lb projectile out the barrel, enough to knock most people flat on their asses and difficult to hit anything outside a naval vessel...

Ergo, the DM should allow it, but with massive penalties and drawbacks.

[/nerd]

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Simp vs. Chimp

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Facebook Aunt posted:

He didn't get mauled by that chimp, he got mauled by two others. Because cake. The couple brought birthday cake to their former pet, but didn't bring enough cake for everyone. Two of the other males were all, "Why does he get cake and we don't? This is bullshit. gently caress this and gently caress you."

The attacking chimps were both shot to end the attack. If they hadn't been shot they probably would have killed the couple.

https://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-xpm-20050305-2005-03-05-0503050204-story.html

Never attend a chimp birthday party.

Still far from the worst party involving “St. James”.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cult_hero posted:

So if you figure a 10 lb cannonball, it would still be a 2.25 lb projectile out the barrel, enough to knock most people flat on their asses and difficult to hit anything outside a naval vessel...

[/nerd]

a 10-pound iron cannonball has a diameter of 10.4 centimeters. so if you halve the size of it in every dimension you end up with a 5.2-centimeter (two inch) iron ball that definitely won't fit down a rifle barrel.

Does Reduce stack? Casting it three times would get you a half-inch ball weighing 16 grams, which is about right for a musket ball.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sagebrush posted:

a 10-pound iron cannonball has a diameter of 10.4 centimeters. so if you halve the size of it in every dimension you end up with a 5.2-centimeter (two inch) iron ball that definitely won't fit down a rifle barrel.

Not with that kind of attitude it won't

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Does Reduce stack? Casting it three times would get you a half-inch ball weighing 16 grams, which is about right for a musket ball.

Nah, and nor are there any allowances for it to be cast at a higher level to increase the effect. The reason is obvious because being able to reduce someone down to an ant or to the size of a loving mountain by stacking up or empowering a level 2 spell would be overpowered. Since it's a small, homogenous inanimate object I'd have no problem fudging that side of things for a cannon ball though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

cult_hero posted:

[/nerd]

Weight isn't mass. Its speed and kinetic energy would be unchanged.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

in 2e, it's 10% smaller (height/width/depth) per level of caster down to 10%, then it just drops 1 foot if it's over a foot, 1 inch if it's over an inch, and 1/10 of an inch if it's under an inch beyond that 90%.

10cm is like 4inches. Want it 1/2 inch? That's 12.5% of it's original size, so you'd need a 9th level wizard to get it down that far. It also lasts 5min per level.

So, a 9th level mage using first level spell slots to basically arm an improvised magical weapon that someone else uses, with potential for weird side effects? With possibly difficult to procure, store and carry ammo? Sure, sounds fun.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dabir posted:

I’m pretty sure the authors were just sloppy with terminology.

If shrunk objects maintained their inertial mass but had an eighth as much gravitational attraction, lots of odd stuff would happen. For example, shrunk cannonballs would no longer follow the ballistic trajectories we expect. They’d have all this upward momenta, and gravity would act feebly on them and take forever to arrest their upward velocity.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

if it had the mass of original cannon ball how the gently caress was it fired with a normal charge of gunpowder?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Way too much drama in this thread, y’all need some life lessons from my boy Skeletor.

https://i.imgur.com/2w1ieAh.gifv

Hope that helps your day.

https://i.imgur.com/e8a5w9s.gifv

Cartoon Man has a new favorite as of 01:56 on May 17, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Regarde Aduck posted:

if it had the mass of original cannon ball how the gently caress was it fired with a normal charge of gunpowder?

They also shrunk the gunpowder, duh.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Great life lessons and an amazing showing with the best cartoon logic gif ever.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Regarde Aduck posted:

A Tabaxi with 2 levels of fighter, 2 levels of rogue, and at least 15 strength can--while wearing a full suit of plate armor--complete the 100 meter dash in just under 12 seconds, once per day. They can keep doing it for ~16 second runs for the rest of the day as long as they take a 6-second break without moving in-between.

Forget it Jake, it's wizardtown

stringless has a new favorite as of 02:14 on May 17, 2021

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

As a dad I love how wholesome these are becoming

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bike tory posted:

As a dad I love how wholesome these are becoming

Is he holding a shrimp?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Is he holding a shrimp?
He's removed the door handle, leaving the door entirely featureless

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Cats screaming "I REQUIRE DEATH!"

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Is he holding a shrimp?

No it is a small pastry.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Desert Bus posted:

No it is a small pastry.

Doesn't look very small to me.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead

This happened to me every time.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Gotta love the Ford Tempo police car in the image.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Doesn't look very small to me.

My pastry is small and smells of prawns

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I did a meme today and the best way to present it is just to quote my own tweet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CPColin/status/1394047517344641024

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005