Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

stev posted:

But he's 10 and he simply realises that Jewish people are normal humans because he was brainwashed to think otherwise.

The fact that he's ten and peering into watch her naked in the tub doesn't really help the movie. The whole "how can I be horny towards a subhuman?" shouldn't be your films message. I think Jojo was soo bad at this stopped a trope where the main character is "saved by Jewish pussy" from going anywhere so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I can't believe somebody posted the tweets from Progress Live and didn't include this one:

https://twitter.com/ProgressOnline/status/1393861364175851523?s=20

I think it might be even better than "Change the things that need changing and that is the change we will bring about".

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
We're not interested in circumlocution. We're interested in focusing on the substance of your words, based on Shakespeare's principle of brevity.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah. Jeremy Corbyn was always a protest leader. Not surprising.

Except when he was actually leader of the opposition, then the people around him tried to shape him into something he wasn't, which is to say a normal politician.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
From a few pages back, but re: corporate sponsorship, I was invited to volunteer to help in preparing Team GB for the Olympics this summer. I could - possibly - get to briefly meet some of the athletes, and lunch, and in return all they required from me was a minimum of 5 days' committment (unpaid), for me to cover my own travel and accommodation costs, and to come wearing either Adidas or unbranded trainers (to be supplied at my own cost if I don't already own some).

I don't object to using volunteers, but covering expenses would be a drop in the ocean compared to how much the Olympics costs. It makes hiring on minimum wage zero-hours contracts look ethical.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Lady Demelza posted:

From a few pages back, but re: corporate sponsorship, I was invited to volunteer to help in preparing Team GB for the Olympics this summer. I could - possibly - get to briefly meet some of the athletes, and lunch, and in return all they required from me was a minimum of 5 days' committment (unpaid), for me to cover my own travel and accommodation costs, and to come wearing either Adidas or unbranded trainers (to be supplied at my own cost if I don't already own some).

I don't object to using volunteers, but covering expenses would be a drop in the ocean compared to how much the Olympics costs. It makes hiring on minimum wage zero-hours contracts look ethical.

if china did that there would be articles about slave labour, but lol it’s just good old fashioned civic pride when we do it

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
thats lame. I know its not the point but is there any other source of funding you could look to?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Failed Imagineer posted:

gently caress you Kieth you can't stop me hugging and kissing Eugene Debs

Actually Malcolm said a lot of good things, maybe all we do need is X.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

thats lame. I know its not the point but is there any other source of funding you could look to?

Nah, I politely declined and left it at that. It's the sort of random thing I'd normally be quite interested in doing, but not to the point where I'm going to go massively out of my way to sort it. They're organising transporting people to the other side of the world during a pandemic, I'm sure they could've block-booked a hotel for an amazing discount if they'd tried, it's not like the hospitality industry is in a position to be picky.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
IIRC the Olympic volunteers for London 2012 were not paid. There were tens of thousands of volunteers, all working several full day shifts.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Despera posted:

Main character was for the holocaust but then wants to bang hot Jewish girl, so learns error of his ways!

if this was your takeaway from it I don't know what to say. this is not how normal people watch films

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Taika Waititi is a genius and if anyone milkshake ducks him to me I will be very sad.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Jojo Rabbit is about a little boy learning in the most brutal possible way that the society he's bought into is evil and everything he's been told is a lie. It's a good movie.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

All I remember about JoJo Rabbit is it sure put a lot of effort into making all its Nazi characters either comedic or explicitly sympathetic. Which is certainly a choice.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I mean Taika Waititi is of Jewish and Maori descent and the Nazis in the movie are largely monsters, albeit human monsters, but if you want to go that way, I guess.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Random Integer posted:

All I remember about JoJo Rabbit is it sure put a lot of effort into making all its Nazi characters either comedic or explicitly sympathetic. Which is certainly a choice.

Sympathetic, nah. There's sympathetic German soldiers, but, ie, Sam Rockwell's character clearly doesn't remotely believe in Nazi ideology, he's doing his best to prepare the kids he's forced to take care of for their horrible and probably very short lives in this awful regime, because he knows if he doesn't do it, someone worse will. The true believers are jokes, albeit often dangerous jokes, and that's good because Nazis are loving jokes. Hitler wanted to be called The Wolf and went into a big sulk when nobody would go along with it. Fascism is a very stupid ideology for complete losers who want to feel like big men and depicting them as the clowns they are is the right move.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dabir posted:

if this was your takeaway from it I don't know what to say. this is not how normal people watch films
Internet people don't watch films normally, they skim them and then spin off a reddit post about how the bad guy is actually right.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I just think it's cool they made a Jojo movie in the West that was actually good. Imagine if it was another ATLA.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Internet people don't watch films normally, they skim them and then spin off a reddit post about how the bad guy is actually right.

God this. it seems that every film that does well at the box office is still "rubbish". You know, sometimes I don't want to be intelectually challanged, I just want to see people wave glowing sticks around, mechs fight giant monsters or Dwane Johnstone make wizecracks while running through the jungle!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grey Hunter posted:

God this. it seems that every film that does well at the box office is still "rubbish". You know, sometimes I don't want to be intelectually challanged, I just want to see people wave glowing sticks around, mechs fight giant monsters or Dwane Johnstone make wizecracks while running through the jungle!

The funny thing is that they still manage to screw that up, see the last Star Wars. You give people brainless schlock they ask for and they hate it

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

So uh, I got an email this evening.

Thought "Oh yeah, what's this? Maybe something about I/P?"...

And, well, sort of:

quote:

South Northants CLP notes the abject failure of Keir Starmer to inspire and lead the Labour
Party to many victories in the recent local authority elections. It also notes the deafening
silence of his failure to speak out in support of the Palestinian people in their suffering.
The CLP believes the only solution is new leadership.
This CLP resolves to campaign for a new leadership election and calls on the NEC to instigate
such an election at its earliest convenience

Whelp lmao

(Note: Yes, I am still a member of the Labour party. No, I do not want to be, I am just very very disorganised and need to get it together to do some phone or online banking and cancel the payments, which is a pain in the arse now I'm in Canada).

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, Starmer's teetering: the members all hate him now and the MP's no longer believe there's any chance of him leading them to victory, which leaves him extremely isolated. The only question is if there's going to be a decisive move made soon, or if he's going to limp along fatally wounded for a significant period.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, Starmer's teetering: the members all hate him now and the MP's no longer believe there's any chance of him leading them to victory, which leaves him extremely isolated. The only question is if there's going to be a decisive move made soon, or if he's going to limp along fatally wounded for a significant period.

If (when) he loses Batley & Spen that'll be go time I reckon

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Labour had to scrape the barrel last time. What do yo do after that?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I hope Jess Phillips runs again, I couldn't believe how badly she hosed it last time

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

HopperUK posted:

Jojo Rabbit is about a little boy learning in the most brutal possible way that the society he's bought into is evil and everything he's been told is a lie. It's a good movie.

Luckily we beat the Nazis through sheer English power and goodness so we don't ever need to worry about that kind of thing happening again

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

multijoe posted:

I hope Jess Phillips runs again, I couldn't believe how badly she hosed it last time

Jessflaps didn't 'gently caress it' last time, she got exactly what she wanted from it:

https://twitter.com/Queers4Keir/status/1391510884783214592

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lady Demelza posted:

If the sponsors are demanding to control what unpaid volunteers are wearing, they can at least cough up some bloody trainers IMO.

e: Actually make them limited edition ones you can only get by volunteering and people would be queuing round the block to do their shifts.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 17, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can you get unbranded trainers now? Does turning up wearing four striped Addisababa trainers off the market count as Adidas or unbranded?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Can you get unbranded trainers now? Does turning up wearing four striped Addisababa trainers off the market count as Adidas or unbranded?

If you did that you'd be shot on sight by the sponsorship enforcers

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

NotJustANumber99 posted:

All that's left is the Prince That Was Promised, the King Under the Mountain (across the pond), David Miliband.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Guavanaut posted:

Yes, you can, and all the kids in the playground will point and laugh at you in the playground cos you can't afford decent trainers.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ravel posted:

IIRC the Olympic volunteers for London 2012 were not paid. There were tens of thousands of volunteers, all working several full day shifts.

The experience people - the ones outside stations and venues pointing you in the right direction - were unpaid but did get free tickets to the events and other perks. I think at that point though you're starting into the charity versus state function argument, rather than the one about internships we were having.

Internships aren't just evil for the simple "free labour for rich organisation that can afford to pay" reason - they're even more insidious than that, as a period of internship is often the only way in to certain industries. It's not *quite* as bad here as it is in the US, but it's almost impossible to get into a solid career in politics or the media without being already financially secure enough to be able to work for a year or more without pay, or with a derisory per diem/expense account. In the states you can add in most of finance, law, and other large corporates - in other words it's a massive, completely unwritten class and race filter to keep out the undesirables.

Volunteering for stuff like the Olympics (or Team GB as was mentioned, or the RVS to help with vaccinations and people isolating) is also unpaid work that is being done for a rich organisation that *could* afford to pay, but are being done effectively as charity, but it's much muddier (especially for one-off events like the Olympics and (hopefully!) covid) when it comes to someone willingly giving their time *with no expectation of reward for it*. I can't explain why but if the RVS were paying minimum wage I probably wouldn't do it. It's not worth £9 an hour to me, but it *is* worth doing for free. I think the same goes for a lot of charitable giving, even of cash - it's the kind of weird wiring mistake in human brains that are so effectively exploited by bastards across the political spectrum (although clustered very much more at one end than the other of course).

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

He said scrape the barrel not drain the cesspit

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Needs updating with his new Killer Bob hair imo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have been thinking this since yesterday so I made it now hopefully it will get out of my head.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Kegluneq posted:

Needs updating with his new Killer Bob hair imo

Oh, Blairzy doats and Keerzy doats...

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Logged into my work email today to see an email which summarised to “there are some travellers camped near the office, keep an eye out for Crime”.

I’m going to tell them it’s inappropriate, anyone got any useful things I can cite to explain why that poo poo is not OK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Logged into my work email today to see an email which summarised to “there are some travellers camped near the office, keep an eye out for Crime”.

I’m going to tell them it’s inappropriate, anyone got any useful things I can cite to explain why that poo poo is not OK?

Don't worry about stats, just ask them if they'd send an email saying "A black family just moved in down the road, be on the lookout".