Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

But then the turntable add-on to stadiums was immediately “ratified,” which means it was taken away on the same page.

Blaseball: Sure, Why Not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

harperdc posted:

But then the turntable add-on to stadiums was immediately “ratified,” which means it was taken away on the same page.

Blaseball: Sure, Why Not.

ratification means it's now a gamewide intrinsic and not just a thing a subsegment of the league has

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

rickiep00h posted:

So I'm looking for a new team. Anyone know how the Pies community is? I've been a casual fan since the Jessica Telephone days, but does anyone know how the culture is?

The pies community on discord kicks rear end and is the most welcoming fandom community I've ever joined.

Trust the crust, friend.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I was with the crabs before they ascended, and then went to Chicago, but they’ve used their opportunity to have an extra will to use it to infuse a player in the shadows, and then get rid of that player.

I get that there are ways to interact with Blaseball that aren’t just trying to make your team win, but… that’s not funny, or interesting, or notable in any way outside of just how stupid it is.

Guess I’m probably heading back to the crabs.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

CellBlock posted:

I was with the crabs before they ascended, and then went to Chicago, but they’ve used their opportunity to have an extra will to use it to infuse a player in the shadows, and then get rid of that player.

I get that there are ways to interact with Blaseball that aren’t just trying to make your team win, but… that’s not funny, or interesting, or notable in any way outside of just how stupid it is.

Guess I’m probably heading back to the crabs.

There's only so much you can control random people voting and the RNG of the election. Check out the percentages of what actually happened there. It looks like the only Will that they were actively going for and won was the Alt Trust.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

flatluigi posted:

ratification means it's now a gamewide intrinsic and not just a thing a subsegment of the league has

:doh: of course, I had seen that. Ugh. I keep doing this with Blaseball rules. Turns out they’re complex!

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Squall posted:

There's only so much you can control random people voting and the RNG of the election. Check out the percentages of what actually happened there. It looks like the only Will that they were actively going for and won was the Alt Trust.

To expand on this, check out the actual numbers in the election stats spreadsheet which shows the actual number of votes for winning wills/blessings and such.

Firefighters put in 807,548 votes for all Wills combined. The shadow infusion that was selected only had 14,070 votes. The shadow revoke only had 1,000 votes. For comparison, I submitted 31,000 votes in this election. You can't really curse a whole team because they got owned by RNG.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
The teams that didn't have a "highest team" Blessing vote count. These are the blaseball clubs that deserve your voting power
---
Dale
Spies
Mechanics
Steaks
Worms
Lift
Wild Wings
Georgias
Firefighters

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'm gonna make a concerted effort to remove Socks from the lineup, and for a shortening/renovation overall. The absolute weirdness of Turntables, at least right now, makes it hard to figure what exactly is going to happen this season. In perusing Discord it seems like people might finally be acknowledging that going from the top to a dumpster fire in a scant few seasons isn't fun.

But I'm probably heading to Pies after this season. Hopefully the devotion to things like Literally A Cat is less intense over there.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So it’s possible betting is totally borked this season with the turntables situation

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

bawfuls posted:

So it’s possible betting is totally borked this season with the turntables situation

we'll find out in about an hour, as game 2 results come in.

best case scenario is that the losing team counts as getting the "win" so snoilhavers will get even more ballooned economy, since underdogs have longer betting odds.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

First game to fomplete is Firefighters-Tacos, which ended 7.9-2. Their records are listed as 1-0 and 0-1 respectively, but the divisions look to be sorted by losses.

So maybe betting is normal?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Betting/odds look good, only the "Points" section of the standing appears to be affected by the Turntables.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

probably, it's still going off of non-losses and losses, which have remained unchanged, as opposed to the system of Wins and Unwins.

god drat I love blaseball

doos
Jan 1, 2015

So (Sun 2 weirdness aside), it looks like you want to lose as much as much as possible during the regular season, and then try to win during the postseason.

Looking forward to Season 19's most mediocre champion.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This season probably favors the Wild Low, which is stacked so even the "worst" team there is still pretty good.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Wings have found their anti--urke and their name is Axel

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The shoe thieves are gonna over perform this season to their deteriment just watch

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

This is so fuckin great, goddamn I love blaseball...

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Georgias triple-shame the Spies in the first three games of the series, absolutely incredible.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I didn't even realize until someone told me, all the "good" teams are going to get eliminated from the playoffs early and do a bunch of partying. That's a lol

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Somberbrero posted:

Georgias triple-shame the Spies in the first three games of the series, absolutely incredible.

Four shames in a row, to the Jazz Hands this time.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

tinstaach posted:

I didn't even realize until someone told me, all the "good" teams are going to get eliminated from the playoffs early and do a bunch of partying. That's a lol

And then the wildcard winners will come in and dominate the playoffs.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
for posterity

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

flatluigi posted:

for posterity

Blaseball is so stupid. I love it.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I don't know how into the FK people are here, but Blaseball has always had an issue with Ruthlessness, the stat that controls walks. (Basically they rarely ever happen in the league right now.) According to SIBR that's been adjusted this season, so we might see some super erratic results because pitchers will be throwing more balls now.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

InnercityGriot posted:

I don't know how into the FK people are here, but Blaseball has always had an issue with Ruthlessness, the stat that controls walks. (Basically they rarely ever happen in the league right now.) According to SIBR that's been adjusted this season, so we might see some super erratic results because pitchers will be throwing more balls now.

How did people even figure out something like "the hidden stat 'ruthlessness' is corellated to throwing balls"?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://twitter.com/BlaseballCrabs/status/1394453416370483202?s=20

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Entropic posted:

How did people even figure out something like "the hidden stat 'ruthlessness' is corellated to throwing balls"?

SIBR are basically magicians

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Lone Goat posted:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

flatluigi posted:

for posterity

It’s beautiful

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

the new weather for the season have been released! during Polarity games, SIBR curls up into a ball and cries. neat!

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Entropic posted:

Jokes about magic aside there is a whole mathematical field related to finding out what specific variables in complex systems do called Regression Analysis. I wasn't around in the Blaseball fandom early enough to be around when things like the basic stats were being figured out but it was probably a combination of Linear Regression and just looking at a lot of graphs.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tzarnal posted:

Jokes about magic aside there is a whole mathematical field related to finding out what specific variables in complex systems do called Regression Analysis. I wasn't around in the Blaseball fandom early enough to be around when things like the basic stats were being figured out but it was probably a combination of Linear Regression and just looking at a lot of graphs.

So many graphs.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

rickiep00h posted:

So many graphs.

The biggest (Tokyo) lift in that presumably was extracting all the data, although I'm sure someone figured out a way into the API.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The shoe thieves have one strategy and its "be last place" and god damnit we're gonna pull put all the stop no matter what the rules mean

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

go wings. we wanted to tank this season and uhhhhhh..... blaseball gonna blaseball.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Alucard posted:

The biggest (Tokyo) lift in that presumably was extracting all the data, although I'm sure someone figured out a way into the API.

The API was pretty early on. The little attention I paid to SIBR in the beginning was mostly their trying to decyper the stat names. Sorta like park factor stats, they make a certain kind of sense, but they're also largely bizarre.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Lone Goat posted:

Speaking of which, it looks like the upset recommendations bot is back online, where they have basically reverse-engineered their own version of blaseball and use it to predict which betting underdogs are actually going to win with ~60% accuracy, which can massively increase your betting payouts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

:toot::toot::toot:

https://twitter.com/thegameband/status/1394642058262945792