Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The Fierro segment as a whole feels like the devs had really focused on the "We're doing three cities and a bunch of countryside!" aspect from the marketing and then could only really think of content for Los Santos and Las Venturas. Very little in SF wouldn't fit into one of the two just fine. Or could have punched up the decent but very short countryside segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Episode 29: Running, Scrambling, Flying

You didn't think those flying lessons were just for fun, did you? Our first actual flying mission drops us straight into the deep end as we have to fly as low as possible to avoid radar detection while also avoiding PS2 pop-in. We also learn to shoot better and drive some boats, and finish up by boarding a moving plane because why not.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I failed that plane mission because of the actual bike up the ramp SO MANY times. It's one of the only missions that forces your radio station to a specific station and a specific song i think. It automatically gives you Radio X and "Welcome to the Jungle" while you're dodging all the crates and stuff coming out of the plane. Can't think of many missions that do that off the top of my head though.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

The Shame Boy posted:

I failed that plane mission because of the actual bike up the ramp SO MANY times. It's one of the only missions that forces your radio station to a specific station and a specific song i think. It automatically gives you Radio X and "Welcome to the Jungle" while you're dodging all the crates and stuff coming out of the plane. Can't think of many missions that do that off the top of my head though.

I'm always reminded of Vice City, where Billie Jean would play when you got into your first vehicle. Sadly lost whenever they did the big update which removed all the songs they lost permission to...

Although I remember hearing Rusty Cage a lot when doing the driving school missions as well!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

I failed that plane mission because of the actual bike up the ramp SO MANY times. It's one of the only missions that forces your radio station to a specific station and a specific song i think. It automatically gives you Radio X and "Welcome to the Jungle" while you're dodging all the crates and stuff coming out of the plane.
It autotunes to Radio X but not specifically to Welcome to the Jungle. It's pretty quiet in the video, but we heard Pretend We're Dead by L7 and Unsung by Helmet on our attempts so it just seems to play whatever's on Radio X at the moment.

Zaroff posted:

I'm always reminded of Vice City, where Billie Jean would play when you got into your first vehicle. Sadly lost whenever they did the big update which removed all the songs they lost permission to...
It might have changed at some point, but when the "new audio" Steam version of Vice City came out, all the music including Billie Jean was still in there in that version. The songs have been cut out of all other rereleases, so I'm not sure what went on there.

The script to make the game autoplay Billie Jean (or Self Control in the rereleases, but let's just go with Billie Jean for brevity's sake) is also broken in the console versions of Vice City due to the way the save/load system works. When you boot up the game without an existing save file, you hear Billie Jean just like you should. However, this script doesn't work if you start a new game from the pause menu. Since all console GTA games auto-load your latest save on launch, the pause menu is the only way to start a new game. When you do that, the script doesn't trigger and getting in a vehicle for the first time just plays whatever was on Flash FM when you went to the menu and hit "New Game."

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I cheesed N.O.E by flying out to the ocean and keeping low as I flew around the edge of the map, no trees to worry about pop-in there.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I got really, really, really good at flying the Dodo in GTA3, so none of the flying missions ever felt too hard for me until the first few GTA5 helicopter missions. Those kicked my rear end

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That single mission could be the hardest in the game simply because it’s designed around perfection. Even the final missions let you prepare and show up with max everything. This is “Open the throttle, you lose if you aren’t perfect.”

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Even the final missions let you prepare and show up with max everything. This is “Open the throttle, you lose if you aren’t perfect.”
Also, "Move the left analog stick up slightly to lean forward on the bike and go faster, tap up repeatedly to go even faster than that."

If the game ever tells you you can do this, it does it's somewhere you can barely notice it. I think being able to go super fast by repeatedly tapping the stick up (but not too much, because if you move it all the way up, CJ just stands up on the bike) is actually a glitch, but I certainly don't mind making use of it it in situations like this.

If you're on PC, I think this is one of the missions that are impossible to beat when the frame limiter is disabled.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 18, 2021

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I definitely loved the first proper flying mission being one where you didn't even get the convenient advantages of flight and had to stay near the ground and all of its obstacles. Being the first real flight mission also makes it a great way to find that your airstrip is perilously close to a military no-fly zone.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 29B: San Fierro Rush

Extreme racing. Since this video is entirely street races, I didn't want to make it the next proper episode so I went with the B designation instead. I also spend a lot of time in first person, so MOTION SICKNESS WARNING.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

DMorbid posted:

MOTION SICKNESS WARNING.

We're not kidding, the footage is rough if you're sensitive to this kinda thing.

Edit: Just circling back around on a comment I made about Vita ports of the PS2 GTA games, there is one for San Andreas and just looking at its GitHub page, its based primarily on the Android version with PS2-like rendering?

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 20, 2021

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Definitely seemed better than ChaosArgate's descriptions, as promised :). The Fierro races gave me a fair bit of trouble, with all the sharp turns and not always seeing the markers. Still SA markers going into the sky are so much nicer than in 3/VC.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A shame you can't see the other cars on the map so you can see the tomfoolery going around.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 30: The Black Project

Today, we break into this game's Area 51 equivalent and steal a top-secret government project because an old hippie asked us to.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I enjoyed the bonus scene you’d get before one of those missions if CJ had eaten too much and the Truth would just say ‘woah you’re too fat, go lose some weight!’

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
I realize San Andreas came out several years before it but ever since "The Adventures of Carl Johnson, Serial Entrepreneur" started in San Fiero, I've been getting some serious Saints Row 2 vibes.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Interesting timing about aliens, as the government is releasing blurry videos on flying objects.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

This segment is one of the more bizarre segments in the series. Ignoring the massive tonal dissonance from the rest of the story remarked on in the video, the idea that you could get away with shooting your way into that installation and stealing a prototype is absurd. CJ should have a permanent maxed-out wanted level because the government would be trying to arrest him for espionage and treason.

I almost wonder if this is where they got the idea for Trevor's independent heist in V, where that is the exact reason you have to return what you stole and don't get any money.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The guy who deals in drugs is now the "you gotta infiltrate this army base and steal a jetpack and hijack a troop transport for mutagen". A Jetpack is not even that big a deal in real life unless this one having unlimited flight time is the intended reason. EDF! EDF!
What were they intending to do with the character?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I assume to "poke fun at" conspiracy nuts or something in the lines of that.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly I think The Truth fits perfectly in with this Toreno chain of missions. Either of them individually feels weird and out-of-place for GTA but once you've got both together they play off each other's ideas very well.
Ultimately, it's just another gang war.

Also leaning into this kind of mad bullshit is why Saint's Row 2 was better than GTA 4.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Also leaning into this kind of mad bullshit is why Saint's Row 2 was better than GTA 4.
Having a campaign that didn't consist almost entirely of filler missions also helped a bit.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Did I miss the episode (or was it done off-screen) of all the stunt jumps? Because goddamn, those are my least favorite part of the PS2 era GTA games

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

mercenarynuker posted:

Did I miss the episode (or was it done off-screen) of all the stunt jumps? Because goddamn, those are my least favorite part of the PS2 era GTA games
The stunt jumps are thankfully not required for 100% completion in San Andreas, so I didn't bother hunting those down.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Tenebrais posted:

Honestly I think The Truth fits perfectly in with this Toreno chain of missions. Either of them individually feels weird and out-of-place for GTA but once you've got both together they play off each other's ideas very well.
Ultimately, it's just another gang war.

Saints Row 2 managed to not obliterate half the content the previous game introduced when it moved to a new console. How did Rockstar mess that up?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

Saints Row 2 managed to not obliterate half the content the previous game introduced when it moved to a new console. How did Rockstar mess that up?
GTA IV moved to a different console architecture and switched to a completely new, much more complex engine. Saints Row was an early 360 game and the jump from that to SR2 was more similar to GTA III to Vice City (SR1 didn't have motorcycles, boats, helicopters or much of anything). The situation isn't really comparable. Saints Row did switch to a new engine for The Third, and even that lacked some of the features that were in SR2.

They also wanted to tell a different, darker and more serious story with GTA IV so tonally you couldn't really have the same kind of nonsense San Andreas got up to. I would have absolutely no problem with that if the story was actually good, there were more than ten missions that actually led to anything and/or were remotely fun or interesting, and if the token attempts at keeping the juvenile GTA humor in the game didn't clash horribly with the rest of the presentation. Obviously, a lot of people expected San Andreas in HD and... well, it certainly wasn't that.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
For some reason, I thought Saints Row was Xbox. Disregard my last comment.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GTA IV was almost a tech demo. I think they went in a more realistic, gritty direction to make up for being inexperienced in their brand new engine and physics system. Despite entering production shortly afterward and being so made of string cheese that it can't get a PC port, Red Dead Redemption is clearly more advanced and plays much tighter.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 30B: Road Rash (Las Venturas Race Tournament + Other Racing Type Stuff)

Another racing-focused episode and another motion sickness warning. I think these races would be improved if you could beat up the opponents.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It isn't fair the AI can mess with you, but the race gets called off if you start shooting.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
There was a PS2 game called Shadow of Rome which featured chariot racing. You could win by being first to cross the finish line or by killing all your opponents. A few years later, Assassins Creed Origins featured chariot racing with the same win criteria.

These games are the only racing games I have ever really enjoyed.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 29, 2021

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
You should play burnout 3 some time.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

So here's a funny thing I just realized. A while ago, the clock battery on my slim PS2 died, which caused the game to get a bit confused as to which save it should auto-load. Any save I made after the battery died would be dated March 2000, so the game would load the "latest" save - in other words, the last save I made before the battery died. I had to replay a few missions as a result of that bit of confusion, which was a bit annoying.

A few minutes ago, I finished the last race tournament in Los Santos. Completing all the races gives you a million dollars as a reward, but I didn't get it. Why? Well, turns out I also did the Las Venturas races on the same file as those few missions I had to replay, and when I went back to replay the missions I didn't replay the races so they're still not completed on this main file. So, looks like I'll be doing that again, and nothing that happens in the latest video (or the air race videos I've recorded) officially happened!

:shepicide:

edit: I'm pretty sure the battery didn't die until after I recorded the footage for episode 32, so I'm not sure what happened with the LV races. Maybe I just loaded the wrong save at some point.

e2: Now that I'm done with the races... again... I only have the last three story missions left and my completion percentage is 98.40%. That should mean I'll hit 100% when I finish the last mission.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 29, 2021

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 31: The Four Dragons

We've wasted enough time screwing around, let's go say hi to Woozie at his new place. And yes, I know you can use satchel charges to make "You've Had Your Chips" much easier but forgot I had them on hand. I'll show that off in a later video.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Wait, _neither_ of you are mobsters? Then why are we paying you for this wonderful LP?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think that hostage mission has a special fail state if you hit a car too hard with the guy in between it.

That quarry mission seems needlessly harder to do with all those corona rings and jumps instead of just driving out.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Can confirm, the timer automatically stops when you collect all the dynamite, and that third mission is a nasty jump in difficulty seeing how easy it is to be ambushed by a guy with a combat shotgun. It's like those M4 wielding enemies in GTA3 hidden behind corners.

Don't know what happens if you let the timer run out though.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Something strange that I noticed with roulette back when I played this game on the PS2, I'm convinced that the first time you bet on 00 you are guaranteed to win. It happened enough times when I played this back in the day that I reckon it wasn't a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 32: Bulldozers, Trucks & Trains

We head back to the quarry to move a bunch of junk around and get immensely frustrated in the process, and finish things up by hauling some freight. This, I believe, is the last side content video that doesn't involve street (or air) racing.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 4, 2021