Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Five years ago Carl Johnson escaped from the pressures of life in Los Santos, San Andreas... a city tearing itself apart with gang trouble, drugs and corruption. Where film stars and millionaires do their best to avoid the dealers and gang-bangers. Now, it's the early 90s. Carl's got to go home. His mother has been murdered, his family has fallen apart and his childhood friends are all heading towards disaster. On his return to the neighborhood, a couple of corrupt cops frame him for homicide. CJ is forced on a journey that takes him across the entire state of San Andreas, to save his family and to take back control of the streets.

ABOUT THE GAME

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas by Rockstar North is the third GTA game in the so-called 3D Universe, originally released on the PlayStation 2 in October 2004. Set in 1992 and taking inspiration from gangsta rap culture and films such as Boyz n the Hood and Menace II Society, San Andreas tells the story of Carl "CJ" Johnson, a former member of the Grove Street Families street gang in Los Santos (a fictionalized version of Los Angeles). CJ has spent the last five years living in Liberty City but returns to the west coast following the death of his mother. Naturally, things go sideways as soon as CJ gets off the plane, as corrupt cops frame him for the murder of one of their colleagues and he slides back into the gangster life he tried to leave behind.

Of course, Los Santos is only the beginning. One of the big selling points of San Andreas was having an entire state (based on parts of California and Nevada) to play around in, which was very ambitious considering the PS2's limitations. Some technical shortcuts had to be taken to make such a massive open world work on the hardware and the PS2 definitely struggles to keep up at times, but somehow the whole thing manages to (mostly) hold together. The size of the open world and the sheer amount of content was hugely impressive at the time, and it still holds up surprisingly well. There is a lot more dialogue this time around, and most missions are much more tightly scripted than in the last two games. Basically, this was where the modern Rockstar open world game was truly born - for better and worse.

ABOUT THE LP

Just like the GTA III and Vice City LP about a year ago, I am once again joined by my usual LP partner ChaosArgate, who never played the classic GTA games when they were new because he was too young at the time. I, on the other hand, am a miserable old bastard so I've completed San Andreas at least half a dozen times since 2004 and even 100%'d the game. In fact, this will be a 100% run. All the missions, all the collectibles, all the races, all the driving school gold medals (which aren't actually required for 100% but I'm getting them anyway), everything.

This time, we'll be playing the original PS2 release from 2004. The original original release, which means certain missions will be even more frustrating than they are in the later versions of the game. :shepface: And yes, the Hot Coffee content is technically on the disc but I have no way of accessing it even if I wanted to show it off (which I don't) so you'll have to find your low-poly sex scenes somewhere else. That reminds me I should probably get around to continuing the Witcher 1 LP at some point...

Why the PS2 release, then? Well, this is the original version of San Andreas, which also means it's the one with all the original visual effects, lighting, various world details and atmosphere intact. When San Andreas was ported to other systems, the resolution, textures and draw distance got a boost but the visual style was changed significantly and many effects and details were simply absent. Basically, the later ports look much, much cleaner but more sterile. I'm sure many players prefer that clean and crisp look (not to mention smoother performance), but I'm a big fan of the PS2 atmosphere so that's what I'm going to show off.

There are mods to add the original visuals back to the PC port, but I had some technical issues with that and didn't feel like dealing with it. The PS2 Classics release on PS4 has the original graphics at a high resolution but controls worse due to the lack of pressure-sensitive buttons (if you're doing the harder vehicle challenges, you really, really need analog throttle and brake) and has some other problems. Emulation isn't quite perfect either. So, in the end I just decided to go with the original version, running on an actual PS2 through the XRGB-mini Framemeister. Although I'm in the PAL region, I'm playing the NTSC version on a North American PS2 so there's no 50 Hz bullshit here.

There's a lot more story this time around and ChaosArgate is coming into this blind, so :frogsiren: NO PLOT SPOILERS! :frogsiren:

VIDEOS

[YouTube playlist]

Episode 1: After Five Years on the East Coast...
Episode 2: CJ Goes Legit
Episode 3: Drive-Thru
Episode 4: Cesar Vialpando
Episode 5: OG Loc
Episode 6: Ryder the Genius
Episode 7: Madd Dogg's Rhymes
Episode 8: Burning Desire
Episode 9: Wrong Side of the Tracks
Episode 10: Doberman
Episode 11: The Green Sabre
Episode 12: Badlands
Episode 13: Body Harvest
Episode 14: Two Tickets to Paradise
Episode 15: Supply Lines
Episode 16: CJ the Tourist
Episode 17: Battle Construction Vehicles
Episode 18: Back to School
Episode 19: Loco Syndicate
Episode 20: Mendez & Toreno
Episode 21: Ice Cold Killa
Episode 22: Mountain Cloud Boys
Episode 23: Amphibious Assault
Episode 24: Yay Ka-Boom-Boom
Episode 25: Through the Desert
Episode 26: Rolling, Turning, Diving
Episode 27: Viva Las Venturas
Episode 28: CJ's Previously Owned Vehicles
Episode 29: Running, Scrambling, Flying
Episode 29B: San Fierro Rush (SF Race Tournament)
Episode 30: The Black Project
Episode 30B: Road Rash (Las Venturas Race Tournament + Other Racing Type Stuff)
Episode 31: The Four Dragons
Episode 32: Bulldozers, Trucks & Trains
Episode 33: Familiar Faces (and Maccer)
Episode 34: Dam and Blast
Episode 35: Greatest Plan Ever
Episode 36: Saint Mark's Bistro
Episode 37: Breaking the Bank at Caligula's
Episode 38: A Home in the Hills
Episode 38B: Climb Like a Monkey (Air Races)
Episode 39: Grove 4 Life
Episode 39B: Midnight Club L.S. (Los Santos Race Tournament)
Episode 40: The Battle of Los Santos
Episode 41 (FINAL): End of the Line
Bonus: Victory Lap

------

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 1: After Five Years on the East Coast...

...it was time to go home.

edit: The video is blocked in North Korea, Syria, Iran and Cuba (i.e. the countries without any kind of WMG licensing agreements), which will probably be a running theme with these episodes. I'm sure my legions of fans in those four countries will be crushed.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 13, 2021

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Well, you’re too late for the definitive screenshot LP of this game- Jerusalem has that honor- but the definitive video one hasn’t been done yet- I said The Professional might have done it on YouTube but I was wrong as I know now after actually watching his work, sorry buddy. Based on what I’ve seen of your past work, DM, you may have a chance. I’ll at least watch the effort. Good luck, man.

Remember Deadpool 2 didn’t win any Oscars in this universe, but it was still great. Try to approach its standard.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Aww poo poo, here we go again!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Ah yes, the last GTA game I played and the game that taught me how the concept of ludonarrative dissonance worked.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Aww poo poo, here we go again!
oh goddammit why didn't I use that as the thumbnail

you saw nothing, that was always the thumbnail

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 13, 2021

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Sweet has a messed up neck in those cutscenes.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

DMorbid posted:

edit: The video is blocked in North Korea, Syria, Iran and Cuba (i.e. the countries without any kind of WMG licensing agreements), which will probably be a running theme with these episodes. I'm sure my legions of fans in those four countries will be crushed.

You're more powerful than Coca-Cola, blue jeans, and Mickey Mouse combined.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Funny thing about that tagging mission - you'll notice that the first one beeped on completion while the last two didn't. On the Xbox version, at least, that means you got the tag completed message and it will stay tagged... but didn't actually count toward completion. I learned this the hard way when I meticulously recorded doing all 100 and ended up with only 99.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

gently caress, I've done it for all three of the GTA3 era games. gently caress ambulance missions

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I swear this LP is going to get me to reinstall and replay this game. In short...

"Ah poo poo, here we go again."

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I thought about putting together some kind of visual comparison of the different versions, but Digital Foundry already did something like that a couple of years back so I'll just link that instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXMhrny2fn8

They compare the PS2 Classics version on the PS4, the port to the original Xbox, and the Xbox 360/Xbone backwards compatibility version which is based on the mobile port and sucks in all kinds of exciting ways. They don't show the PC port but the Xbox version is basically the same with worse textures and lower resolution.

Years ago, I used to have a "definitive" modded PC install with the PS2 lighting and other details, the improved shadows and textures from the PC port and the high-res/widescreen-optimized UI elements from the mobile port, plus GInput for better controller support. The end result was really nice, but it was a monstrous pain in the rear end to set up (apparently, San Andreas modders assume everyone downloading the stuff has been modding the game since 2005, so documentation is spotty at best) and even then it could be rather buggy at times. When I was testing out stuff for this LP, I installed a simple mod package that just added all the PS2 stuff back in, but it was also really buggy on my PC so I didn't bother with it.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Feb 13, 2021

White Coke
May 29, 2015
On the subject of bad driving in LA, it seems like everyone in the US wants to claim that the drivers where they live are the worst, but as a Californian (not from LA though) I can confirm that ours are the worst. So much so that a rolling stop is called a California Stop, at least in California.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

When I said the mobile port and the other releases derived from that version sucked in all kinds of ways, I wasn't exaggerating. Here's a video going over the various bugs, glitches and other issues in these ports:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhVdb4K1M-M

It's 37 minutes long, and there's supposed to be a followup at some point. Oh, and there are some spoilers for late-game content, nothing huge but I figured I should give a heads up anyway just in case.

edit: okay yeah it actually does show bits of some late-game cutscenes and stuff so maybe don't watch this if you're somehow completely unspoiled on the plot and want to keep it that way

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 14, 2021

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 2: CJ Goes Legit

We're not doing any of this gangster stuff, we're gonna find a legit job. Or, in this case, several jobs as we try our hand at food delivery, taxi driving, BMX stunt riding, and firefighting (also at ambulance driving and graffiti art, but all that was done offscreen).

Speaking of BMX, I'll just quickly borrow this GIF from Jerusalem's LP (if you can't tell what's going on, he threw a bunch of molotovs at the bike):

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 16, 2021

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I think San Andreas was the only GTA I game I 100%. It felt a lot easier somehow and less of an overall pain in the rear end.

Also, I thought washing machines in kitchens were fairly common in places with small apartments? I've seen it a few times in the States if there's no utility room or just a small number of rooms in general, but it's also something you see widely in the UK because everything is so cramped. I actually didn't realise it was seen as unusual.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

CrashScreen posted:

I think San Andreas was the only GTA I game I 100%. It felt a lot easier somehow and less of an overall pain in the rear end.
San Andreas doesn't have rampages (aside from a few two-player ones in the console versions, which are fully optional) and the 70 stunt jumps don't actually count towards the completion percentage, so even though there's technically a lot more stuff it's generally easier to complete.

quote:

Also, I thought washing machines in kitchens were fairly common in places with small apartments? I've seen it a few times in the States if there's no utility room or just a small number of rooms in general, but it's also something you see widely in the UK because everything is so cramped. I actually didn't realise it was seen as unusual.
I don't think I've ever seen that in Finland. If it's more of a UK thing, that'd make sense because GTA is of course developed in Scotland.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
After getting the 100% shirt from Vice City, I decided to ignore doing the side stuff in SA. It was just too much work.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Huh, don't think I actually knew about the bike delivery missions when I played. I certainly can't remember doing them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

DMorbid posted:

I don't think I've ever seen that in Finland. If it's more of a UK thing, that'd make sense because GTA is of course developed in Scotland.

It's definitely a thing in the UK; washing machines came to be considered kitchen appliances because the kitchen and bathroom are usually the only rooms with access to plumbing in your typical terrace and the bathroom would have been too small and not safe for serious electronics.. Most such houses either date back to Victorian builds in the industrial era, which obviously wouldn't have considered electric appliances in their design, or the 50's post-war reconstruction efforts, which needed to be efficient with their construction given the circumstances.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

They're also both users of a heavier power supply than traditional outlets, so when you're jamming people together like sardines it's cheaper and cleaner to put them on top of each other than to run a second extension of that power line for each unit.

Heck you see that in most full on houses too when you consider that cabling goes in the walls

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FoolyCharged posted:

They're also both users of a heavier power supply than traditional outlets, so when you're jamming people together like sardines it's cheaper and cleaner to put them on top of each other than to run a second extension of that power line for each unit.
What? Is there something different about washing machines in the UK? I've never heard of a washing machine you can't just plug into a normal outlet in Australia.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I know dryers in the US often need a more powerful outlet. Is this perhaps a washer-dryer combo machine for even more space saving?

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Tiggum posted:

What? Is there something different about washing machines in the UK? I've never heard of a washing machine you can't just plug into a normal outlet in Australia.

In Canada at least you need a special heavy duty plug and outlet for larger appliances like washers and refrigerators.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
What do those fires in the gif spell out?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

DoubleNegative posted:

gently caress that bike.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

Nothing, he simply threw a bunch of molotovs at the bike because the BMX challenge sucks. :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 3: Drive-Thru

I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Sir, I'm sorry, but we are only serving a limited menu right now. It's due to the current extreme winter weather and lack of water crisis in the area. We're only serving numbers 1-3 and 7-9, no sodas, no shakes. Thank you for choosing Burger Town, the only restaurant open right now. Care to modify your order please?

I live in Texas and spent two hours in a Whataburger drive thru line yesterday only to be told the above. Feel free to laugh along with me if you like.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They just want you to buy something before letting you continue. It really takes too much time to showcase the clothes.

There was a prostitute giving out blows at the crack house. I guess they conveniently ignored removing that during the patch.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

There was a prostitute giving out blows at the crack house. I guess they conveniently ignored removing that during the patch.
Yeah, that animation is apparently still in the cutscene in the patched version (my disc is the original uncut release, as I mentioned in the OP) and nobody noticed.

I think it's even in the Japanese release, which was released two years after the original version and cut/changed even more stuff (apparently we can thank San Andreas for the stricter rating system Japan implemented in the mid-00s, and the game still had to be heavily edited).

Speaking of prostitutes, I noticed I accidentally killed the one on the floor next to the Balla I was fighting because of the stupidly massive hitbox on the bat's ground attack - a rare case of someone accidentally killing a prostitute in GTA.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 20, 2021

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I have to say CJ is channeling some serious Tupac vibes with his new outfit.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

DMorbid posted:

Yeah, that animation is apparently still in the cutscene in the patched version (my disc is the original uncut release, as I mentioned in the OP) and nobody noticed.

It was certainly openly discussed back in the day. IIRC, that cutscene is one of the big reasons the Hot Coffee content was dummied out instead of removed when the minigame was scrapped. They didn't want to remake any content that happened to use the animations in question.

The other interesting thing is that people used in-game menu textures and such to construct that legendary order (there's argument over whether or not that order was just for Smoke or if it included everybody else's, but that's kind of moot because he ate everything anyway). So people have done challenge videos where they went to various fast-food places and bought it all. Unfortunately, all such videos have spoilers in the comments even when the video does not.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 4: Cesar Vialpando

We do some drive-bys on a bunch of Ballas, rescue Sweet from getting himself shot by the Seville Families, and meet our new best bud.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Kudos to this game for depicting the relationship between black and Hispanic gangs in virtual LA realistically and positively. Could have gone another way very easily especially given stereotypical characters in other games by the same company.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

No idea if it's different (easier) in the pc version but my brilliant strategy for Drive-by is to slam into the balla's and run them over without leaving. Your homies have decent accuracy when the car is moving slowly or stationary. Doing actual drive-bys seem to be the more difficult way and you take a lot more damage. :downs:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I noticed there are a certain number of outcomes for some missions in the GTA games. Remember how in GTA3 when you got those Mafia guys to rob a place and it could be all of them coming out or someone dies? If you repeat some missions enough times, you might see the difficulty go all over the place because of enemy accuracy. In VCS, a Lance Vance mission that is on-rails has about 5 possible outcomes on how much damage that gets done to you even if you are killing everyone as fast as possible.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The only times I've gotten good results in that Drive By mission is when I did the shooting myself. Can't remember if the game lets you get out and AK them, but you can certainly do a normal driveby that is much more accurate than your idiot posse.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 5: OG Loc

Loc, I know you're gangsta, but please get in the car.

We've also reached the end of our backlog, so the next update will be coming Sunday or Monday at the earliest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
I wonder if Loc was part of the inspiration for Lamar in GTA 5.