Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The throttle slides rather than tilts so being a Cheeto fingered goonlord is not recommended, but it's robust and you can dust the slide rails and grease them a little from time to time if it stops sliding smoothly. The 16000M is good and the corresponding Thrustmaster pedals are ok for the price too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My main malfunctions seem to be cat hair wrapping around things or dust clogging actions or sensors up so the rails being open are usuful for cleaning. How about the twist and joystick action? Is it even vaguely accessible?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

zedprime posted:

My main malfunctions seem to be cat hair wrapping around things or dust clogging actions or sensors up so the rails being open are usuful for cleaning. How about the twist and joystick action? Is it even vaguely accessible?

Pretty easily accessible from the outside as the palm rest is removable to make it possible to switch it from a righty stick to a lefty stick. Never pulled the bottom off the stick but I don't imagine it would be too hard as the throttle was no problem at all.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I’ve been lightly using the T.16000m and TWCS for a year and they both just started giving me problems. The rear paddle on the throttle and the twist axis on the stock have both gone insane.
So I don’t really have a functioning rudder axis. (I’m not in a good spot for pedals.)

I haven’t tried opening anything up yet.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
Ive had the logitech X52 for a long time. I dont recommend it. The tiny joystick and button that control the mouse pointer died first, the button stopped working and the mouse constantly drifts to the right and has to be disabled in windows settings. 1 of the throttle buttons works half the time. The bottom 30% of the throttle needs to be dead zoned out or else you can never get to idle. You have to search for the right version of the key binding software to use the 'clutch' button and mode switches, limiting you to 1/3 of the possible button assignments. The rubber turns into pine tar after a few years and needs to be scrubbed off. The hat switches are hard to reach and feel cheap.
It looks cool though, has a lot of LEDs, and I've never had any issue with the spring or ball gimbal on the stick.
I recommend buying a cheaper stick and a program like joy2key to add button assignments to it, or get a something from thrustmaster, VKB, or Virpil.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
X52 is a relic now. With T16000 HOTAS and Logitech’s X-56, the X52 does not offer anything useful, and it’s actually kind of waste of money.

If you can get one for 40-60 bucks, that’s fine. Anything else is better spent on T16000, Logi’s X56, or VKBs new sticks for 170$ or so. And then Virpil, VKB and TM Warthog’s at the upper level.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Hey, the X52 serves an important purpose as the movie prop for countless low budget science fiction spaceships.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

2Jets posted:

Ive had the logitech X52 for a long time. I dont recommend it. The tiny joystick and button that control the mouse pointer died first, the button stopped working and the mouse constantly drifts to the right and has to be disabled in windows settings. 1 of the throttle buttons works half the time.

I also have an X52 and it's fine for me, but would not get one again. The mouse-joystick is totally useless. It's so hard to use that it would have been better to just add one more directional hat.

I'd love to get an X56 some day, but even if they were available it would be hard to justify the cost because I sim so casually and seldom :(

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

The throttle slides rather than tilts so being a Cheeto fingered goonlord is not recommended, but it's robust and you can dust the slide rails and grease them a little from time to time if it stops sliding smoothly. The 16000M is good and the corresponding Thrustmaster pedals are ok for the price too.

I highly recommend regreasing the throttle slides with some nyogel 767a. I wasn't sure if a $35 tube of grease would be worth it, but holy poo poo it's worth it. Night and day difference in the feel of the throttle. The movements are smoother and offer far more resistance than you can get with the base tension bar. Precise adjustments are a lot easier since you don't have that 'jump' when you overcome the static friction.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Warmachine posted:

I highly recommend regreasing the throttle slides with some nyogel 767a. I wasn't sure if a $35 tube of grease would be worth it, but holy poo poo it's worth it. Night and day difference in the feel of the throttle. The movements are smoother and offer far more resistance than you can get with the base tension bar. Precise adjustments are a lot easier since you don't have that 'jump' when you overcome the static friction.

I'm emptyquoting this, because every word is true.

I used this guide and it's great. I just winged it on the rudder pedals, but the rails for those are basically exposed to the air anyway so they were really easy to get to.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Quoting for when I need some speciality goon-lube in the future

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
nyogel 767a sounds like a Boeing product

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I've finally set aside the time in a long bit to fly again and picked up the Aerosoft CRJ for MSFS. Does anyone else have it? I might just not understand the workflows of the autopilot but it feels like its constantly porpoising both vertically and horizontally. I kind of assumed vertically was due to my throttle management but I was very careful to monitor it and make gentle adjustments.

It's a huge bummer because the FlyByWire a320 is so much better, but the A320 gets pretty boring to fly more than once in awhile because airbus is so heavily automated. The CRJ would be a good niche when I want to fly tubes but still feel like I'm doing more than punching a UI.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Kesper North posted:

nyogel 767a sounds like a Boeing product

Absolutely does.

I still have a container of Boelube[tm] tumbling around in my metal working toolbox.

Say what you want about the end product but when it comes to tooling and associated materials/lubricants/consumables, Boeing has their poo poo on lock.

Rot fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 7, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I've finally set aside the time in a long bit to fly again and picked up the Aerosoft CRJ for MSFS. Does anyone else have it? I might just not understand the workflows of the autopilot but it feels like its constantly porpoising both vertically and horizontally. I kind of assumed vertically was due to my throttle management but I was very careful to monitor it and make gentle adjustments.

It's a huge bummer because the FlyByWire a320 is so much better, but the A320 gets pretty boring to fly more than once in awhile because airbus is so heavily automated. The CRJ would be a good niche when I want to fly tubes but still feel like I'm doing more than punching a UI.

Check your joystick deadzones, they should be at least 10%. The CRJ uses the stock autopilot code internally and that has some problems under certain circumstances.

Having a lot more fun flying the CRJ for hour or so hops and doing everything manually, for sure. Only problem is I can never quite dial in the exact throttle setting I need to hold at 0.74 so if I have to go up for a snack or drink I come back to either too fast or too slow.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Shipon posted:

Check your joystick deadzones, they should be at least 10%. The CRJ uses the stock autopilot code internally and that has some problems under certain circumstances.

Having a lot more fun flying the CRJ for hour or so hops and doing everything manually, for sure. Only problem is I can never quite dial in the exact throttle setting I need to hold at 0.74 so if I have to go up for a snack or drink I come back to either too fast or too slow.

I didn’t realize but there’s an advisory throttle setting on N1 for cruise that dialed in the right Mach.

I don’t think it’s related to the stock autopilot woes, FWIW, unless the CRJ does something to absolutely magnify the effects by orders of magnitude. At least, I don’t think it’s related to the joystick input. For example, turning for a new waypoint in cruise would make it turn immediately far too tight, then turn too far the other way to get back on track and kind of seesaw until it got aligned with the nav track.

Maybe that is just asobo autopilot.

E: Drunk post correction: there’s an advisory “set your N1 to this” not an auto throttle to try and manage an even cruise speed based on FMC settings.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Squiggle posted:

I'm emptyquoting this, because every word is true.

I used this guide and it's great. I just winged it on the rudder pedals, but the rails for those are basically exposed to the air anyway so they were really easy to get to.

It's me, I'm the nerd spending $50 on a tube of grease. This is what AAR has driven me to.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Stringent posted:

It's me, I'm the nerd spending $50 on a tube of grease. This is what AAR has driven me to.

Is this better or worse than buying gamer girl bathwater?

Both in a social sense and lubrication sense.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Has the final thoughts been reached on some of the economy mods/plug ins for flight sims? Last I checked there were a couple that were looking to replace FSE with fancier bells and whistles, but I think it was all early stages of the new FS release. Ideally it'd be something that works in XPlane as well, because neither my PC or internet connection is up to MSFS.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

So, I like zooming around in planes in War Thunder. I thought maybe it'd be fun to play with a joystick, bought a T16000M. Turns out I am really bad with it. Like, total dogshit tier, and I don't seem to be getting much better. Repeatedly dying to scrubs in WT is not a very uplifting experience, so can someone recommend a game that has a decent tutorial for flying with a joystick?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Tuna-Fish posted:

So, I like zooming around in planes in War Thunder. I thought maybe it'd be fun to play with a joystick, bought a T16000M. Turns out I am really bad with it. Like, total dogshit tier, and I don't seem to be getting much better. Repeatedly dying to scrubs in WT is not a very uplifting experience, so can someone recommend a game that has a decent tutorial for flying with a joystick?

Unless you’re planning on flying sim battles, just don’t. Sorry to be a downer, but it’s utterly outclassed by mouse and keyboard, to the point where even competent players generally get dunked on. Then you’ll be suffering due to a lack of TrackIR or VR. Multiplayer stuff is hard and generally demands a lot of investment, else you’ll just get clowned on. Just gotta put in the hours and the dollars and eventually you’ll do alright.

Most games don’t offer tutorials on flying stick as a general thing, but I think the new Microsoft Flight Sim does a decent job of introducing the basics. For combat stuff, there’s a whole host of videos for basic fighter manoeuvres. For WW2 singleplayer, IL:2 Great Battles is pretty great.

I actually enjoyed Gaijin’s previous IL:2 game, Birds of Prey(?) as an arcadey way to pick up a few things, since they reward you for doing manoeuvres like the Immelman and Split-S, so it just kinda gets them in your head.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Unless you’re planning on flying sim battles, just don’t. Sorry to be a downer, but it’s utterly outclassed by mouse and keyboard, to the point where even competent players generally get dunked on. Then you’ll be suffering due to a lack of TrackIR or VR. Multiplayer stuff is hard and generally demands a lot of investment, else you’ll just get clowned on. Just gotta put in the hours and the dollars and eventually you’ll do alright.

Most games don’t offer tutorials on flying stick as a general thing, but I think the new Microsoft Flight Sim does a decent job of introducing the basics. For combat stuff, there’s a whole host of videos for basic fighter manoeuvres. For WW2 singleplayer, IL:2 Great Battles is pretty great.

I actually enjoyed Gaijin’s previous IL:2 game, Birds of Prey(?) as an arcadey way to pick up a few things, since they reward you for doing manoeuvres like the Immelman and Split-S, so it just kinda gets them in your head.

This. I tried slamming my dick in the door of playing RB with a stick, and while it gives you some cool maneuvering options, you'll not be able to aim for poo poo and everyone else will just point-and-click you to death the moment your maneuvering gives them an opening.

Sim is a completely different world though, because it's all iron sights and at best the mouse is a sloppily emulated joystick. You can sorta get away without head/eye tracking if you are good with a slew stick on the throttle, but it's nowhere near as natural as being able to just turn your head in VR or make a gesture of your head with trackIR.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I did not have the experienec that VR gave me a great edge on other players in sim battles or IL2. In order to ID a plane as an enemy I had to get really close. As a result, the only strategy that I could pull off in VR was to either sneak onto other planes (and hope that no one notices) or look for dogfights that are going on already.

On the other hand, mixed ground/air battles are a hoot. Get something like a Wyvern that can attack ground targets but is fast enough to run away from planes and can still attack the odd foolish bomber and you'll have a bunch of fun.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

Mrenda posted:

Has the final thoughts been reached on some of the economy mods/plug ins for flight sims? Last I checked there were a couple that were looking to replace FSE with fancier bells and whistles, but I think it was all early stages of the new FS release. Ideally it'd be something that works in XPlane as well, because neither my PC or internet connection is up to MSFS.

I think NeoFly is the best overall factoring in price but I'm pretty sure it only works with MSFS2020. It's a bit quirky but it's free and the developer (who I think is just one guy) keeps adding features and improving it. There are a few unnecessary bonus features you can get for like a $20 donation.

If you're stuck with XPlane then I think OnAir is your best bet. It seems pretty well regarded but the big downside is the subscription model. I think something like $30/year if you sign up for 2 years from the start.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

There is some career mode that I don’t use but if you like flying commercial flights, PACX has nice features for adding some fun audio (safety briefings, you can bug your flight attendants, and you can estimate time of arrival and things.) your passengers give your flight a rating and you lose points if you do anything like land poorly and stuff.

I played OnAir for awhile and really I just wanted the extra “evaluation” of flights more than actual economics, so PACX works great for that while adding some fun audio to make the game feel a little less sterile and more alive. The career mode might tickle you for the more progression side but like I said, I haven’t tried it. I also have no idea how small of planes it supports. It seems like anything smaller than a king air or caravan might be sort of weird for it, and even those might be weird with it.

I think PACX works for xplane but I might be wrong.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
I use NeoFly for medical/rescue missions with the freeware Airbus helicopter, it's pretty nice.

For tubeliners there's also still fsairlines.net, I used that a bunch with X-Plane and I think it's probably the best for virtual airline stuff. Does cargo as well as passengers.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Got my first A/A kill in the Ka-50 by taking out a Hind with an anti-tank missile. Pow, straight in the cockpit.

My new favorite DCS server, Rotorheads, switched over the Syria and this is my first time flying the map multiplayer. It's such a nice change from the Caucuses. Highly recommend if you want to do PVE CAS. Despite the name, they let jets fly too so you can have some fun in an F-18 or A-10 without worrying about constant RWR pings from Migs and Su-27s.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I think I'm going to try signing up for Navigraph/Simlink. I find it frustrating trying to find approaches and stuff while in flight and like the idea of having it on my phone/tablet next to me.

Before I do, does anyone know if they offer referral/coupon codes or anything? Not that I need it necessarily, but if someone can benefit from a new sign up I'd be OK doing it through someones referral or save a few bucks.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Mrenda posted:

I still really like AirHauler 2, personally. It has an initial purchase price but no monthly subscription fee, is largely singleplayer but has options allowing for multiplayer VA play if that's something you and some friends want to organize, has a neat management side in addition to the actual flying, can generate a wide variety of different jobs depending on the parameters you set (want to fly a liner full of PAX between two international airports? want to fly 300 pounds of cargo to a remote grass airstrip in a Super Cub? it'll model both), and works in a wide range of different flight simulators, including FSX/P3D, X-Plane 10/11, and the new MSFS. It also works in FS9 for some reason. It supports custom scenery and airports just fine and also allows you to import any aircraft you have, which is nice.

For free stuff, honestly, there's still nothing that has quite managed to beat FSE, with NeoFly being a very solid competitor but only compatible with MSFS 2020.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

slidebite posted:

I think I'm going to try signing up for Navigraph/Simlink. I find it frustrating trying to find approaches and stuff while in flight and like the idea of having it on my phone/tablet next to me.

Before I do, does anyone know if they offer referral/coupon codes or anything? Not that I need it necessarily, but if someone can benefit from a new sign up I'd be OK doing it through someones referral or save a few bucks.

Not that I am aware of.

I just started using Navigraph recently and it's good. Especially if you fly IFR outside the US a lot.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks man. I'll probably just sign up for the whole year and be done with it. Even if I don't use it daily I'm sure I'll use it often enough over a year to make it worthwhile.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mrenda posted:

Found this on youtube today

https://youtu.be/-j8AlOk1_AU

I just tried neofly for the first time (my first ever economy/RPG plug in thing) and it seems to work well enough.. but still figuring it out.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

NeoFly has multiplayer now, so if anyone wants to do search and rescue together or whatever let's start something.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Neofly was cool and good 6 months ago and now it’s even better

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I got my gladiator nxt in the mail today. Was a surprise because tracking was showing in japan last night. Anyways, it's pretty great. The damping on the stick is awesome. Rotary encoder for my trim being awesome is a suprise highlight. I suppose one con is it's probably a little less ergonomic

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

ethanol posted:

I got my gladiator nxt in the mail today. Was a surprise because tracking was showing in japan last night. Anyways, it's pretty great. The damping on the stick is awesome. Rotary encoder for my trim being awesome is a suprise highlight. I suppose one con is it's probably a little less ergonomic

I pulled the trigger on one of these and TrackIR last night. How long did it take from when you placed your order to when it arrived?

Edit: Just got my shipping notification.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 13, 2021

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

bgreman posted:

I pulled the trigger on one of these and TrackIR last night. How long did it take from when you placed your order to when it arrived?

Edit: Just got my shipping notification.

My order was in processing while they were closed for weekend and then a 4 day long (?) Chinese holiday. But once they shipped it took 4 business days

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
my gladiator shipped monday and then showed up yesterday but the pedals are still stuck in japan :cry:

the stick is a huge improvement over the old t16000m i've been using though

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Spent nearly two hours in VR tonight flying from my local field to SFO in a 18m Ventus, what a delight.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1025579371

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

e.pilot posted:

Spent nearly two hours in VR tonight flying from my local field to SFO in a 18m Ventus, what a delight.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1025579371

God drat I wish the Condor devs would implement OpenXR already. I waited 10 years for C2 to come out while playing C1 in garbage resolution because DX7. I was so frustrated waiting by 2017(?) I started a thread threatening to put together a kickstarter and make my own soaring sim with blackjack and hookers and that's what goaded them into finally announcing C2 was on the horizon instead of saying 'christmas lol'. Then it drops with no VR, and takes them a year to add it. Monkey's paw curls and it's Oculus SDK.. fine reVive it is but then after a few patches they disable MSAA for VR and it looks like shimmering garbage on the Index without it and I'm 110% not starting a Facebook account just to play this poo poo on Quest2.

Now they tell me to be patient and 'it's ready when it's ready' and 'we have bigger fish to fry' etc. dude I've spent more money on this expensive rear end niche sim than any other I own even though I stopped buying the DLC ships around then the ASW20 dropped. Got a rad FF stick made just for sailplanes going to loving waste.. spent years working on related cockpit projects going back to 2008 that are essentially worthless

MSFFII, double length/double strength with cranked shaft and modern glider grip

https://imgur.com/a/4PHsM3V

pedals bashed from scrapped Aeronca Chief pedals and some Sisu pushrods
pedals

https://imgur.com/a/ezcBxHW

... rest of the cockpit is around in a partial state of completion. Sure wish these guys would give me a reason to care anymore. I can't afford to soar irl (plus the real soaring community has a LOT of massive chuds in its ranks) so virtual soaring is all I got but there are just too many obstacles compromises and deal breakers with C2 and I deeply regret not starting that kickstarter and making a soaring sim fit for the modern age.

e: lmao I started that thread in 2016 https://www.condorsoaring.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16914

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 17, 2021