Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Constantly belittling Data for having the audacity to rise above his station as an android sure is an interaction.

I don't know if this is in the video, but it seems like they tried to replicate a playful antagonism between her and Data that was like the relationship between Spock and McCoy, not understanding that a dynamic like that only works if they're both assholes to each other and that if it's completely one-sided, the single rear end in a top hat character just looks like a bully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Constantly belittling Data for having the audacity to rise above his station as an android sure is an interaction.

I too only remember the first time she's on screen and nothing else. Like 3 episodes later she's built an actual friendship with him AND worf that's genuinely interesting for all those involved and something unique to them.

Which the video covers if you'd actually watched it.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Ms. Lola made a 2 hour long video about Call Me By Your Name and all of the controversies the surrounds it.
Ms. Lola- "We need to talk about Call Me By Your Name"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVp1F7I1kjI

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Late as hell to this convo but reading the Duke 4 forums for research for my podcast was really revealing in that people still are defending the Hive to this day vigorously. Like multipage arguments about how "No it's supposed to be grim and dark and Duke is feeling real despair here" as his weird sex slaves make bad jokes about promising to work off the baby fat within a week and other such nonsense.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

OneMoreTime posted:

"No it's supposed to be grim and dark and Duke is feeling real despair here"

Despair Duke (according to that forum): "haha ur hosed" as his twin girlfriends literally explode after being forcefully inseminated by aliens

DNF is a game where it could have just remained unfinished and I don't think humanity would be any worse off

MechaX fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 17, 2021

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

MechaX posted:

Despair Duke (according to that forum): "haha ur hosed" as his twin girlfriends literally explode after being forcefully inseminated by aliens

Why did I read that sentence? How tf are people defending that as deep and meaningful?

content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLuNGhQPDHM&t=42s

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Duke grimly saying "what a waste" as he blows away captive babes. Such dark, very move.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

MechaX posted:

DNF is a game where it could have just remained unfinished and I don't think humanity would be any worse off

It's so loving weird. At least DN3D had him go 'drat. :smith:' whenever you shot one of the women pods and put them out of their misery.

I remember DNF had the DLC try to do a 'Take That!' to the criticism by having Duke react with disgust to a woman-punching arcade game or something. No you see Duke cares if women are punch, not about to die from alien babies.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Beating Bloodborne without actively attacking anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZAVWmn4GS0

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I know nobody played it, but DNF had multiplayer, and it was capture the flag, except they were women and they could struggle out of your grasp unless you slapped them on the butt to stop.

At least we least we got those funny Giant Bomb clips of them mocking how out of date Duke was as a character.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

I know nobody played it, but DNF had multiplayer, and it was capture the flag, except they were women and they could struggle out of your grasp unless you slapped them on the butt to stop.

At least we least we got those funny Giant Bomb clips of them mocking how out of date Duke was as a character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMX057YAwN0

I took a crap and went to the hardware store

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

Speaking of great PC gaming disasters, I have a 70-minute video on Jurassic Park: Trespasser coming tomorrow. Thankfully the people who made it aren't as awful, although it does feature a lot of looking at breasts.

Looking forward to that. I find that game fascinating and when I was a child played through it multiple times despite it being almost broken. It's almost like the park itself, incredibly ambitious and an impossible dream that all crashes down into disaster.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq0cC9nUCOo

Nitrorad's next Jimmy Neutron video dropped. I had a brief hope he was doing a full Pulsating Mass one when he mentioned "The jimmy video"... :smith:

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Acerbatus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq0cC9nUCOo

Nitrorad's next Jimmy Neutron video dropped. I had a brief hope he was doing a full Pulsating Mass one when he mentioned "The jimmy video"... :smith:

You are cool boy.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Violet_Sky posted:

Why did I read that sentence? How tf are people defending that as deep and meaningful?

always bet on duke

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Is that the least surprising post in forum history?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Everybody should go to the goldmine and read the original DNF thread. It's loving hilarious seeing the real time reactions to its release.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I would like to congratulate Kim for her nearly hour long documentary on Trespasser and the wishes that, if going into the wilderness in the near future, she hopefully finds her way back home quicker than the only other person who has devoted such considerable time to that particular title.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kunster posted:

I would like to congratulate Kim for her nearly hour long documentary on Trespasser and the wishes that, if going into the wilderness in the near future, she hopefully finds her way back home quicker than the only other person who has devoted such considerable time to that particular title.

Did something happen to Research Indicates?!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I don't know if this is in the video, but it seems like they tried to replicate a playful antagonism between her and Data that was like the relationship between Spock and McCoy, not understanding that a dynamic like that only works if they're both assholes to each other and that if it's completely one-sided, the single rear end in a top hat character just looks like a bully.
Yeah having her turn up and just immediately poo poo on everyone's favorite character really poisoned the character. Not to mention she was just there because the head writer was lovely to Gates Mcfadden.

Bones is my favorite character in TOS so I can kinda see where they were coming from. Bones is probably the character out of the core trio that functions worst on his own though. Taken at face value he's half of a discussion, he needs Spock's logic to curb his irrationality. I can see why they thought something similar might work with Data, but Data isn't Spock and Picard isn't Kirk so it all feels very one sided.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The first season of tng is... interesting because a bunch of the episodes were written by retrograde rear end writers from the original show. Out of the three female characters, one was portrayed as pining for the captain, one was "the sexy low-cut shirt therapist", and the other came from a rape gang planet. Really makes you go hmm. Thankfully it really picks up and mostly improves their characterization after s1.

The worst is when they go to Africa planet :whitewater:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

Did something happen to Research Indicates?!

During his Trespasser lp, there was a delay bc he got lost in the woods for a whole week while hiking.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 17, 2021

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Famethrowa posted:

The first season of tng is... interesting because a bunch of the episodes were written by retrograde rear end writers from the original show. Out of the three female characters, one was portrayed as pining for the captain, one was "the sexy low-cut shirt therapist", and the other came from a rape gang planet. Really makes you go hmm. Thankfully it really picks up and mostly improves their characterization after s1.

The worst is when they go to Africa planet :whitewater:
Aside from Gene himself most of those really lovely TNG writers were not from the original show. They were all new garbage writers and directors for a new generation. Like the evil black people episode "Code of Honor" was made by a whole bunch of people who had never written or directed star trek before besides Gene Roddenberry.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Terrible Opinions posted:

Aside from Gene himself most of those really lovely TNG writers were not from the original show. They were all new garbage writers and directors for a new generation. Like the evil black people episode "Code of Honor" was made by a whole bunch of people who had never written or directed star trek before besides Gene Roddenberry.

The lady who wrote "Code of Honor" also went on to write a really racist episode of Stargate SG-1.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kunster posted:

During his Trespasser lp, there was a delay bc he got lost in the woods for a whole week while hiking.

Oh, I only found it years later on the lparchive so I lacked context

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I guess Pulaski is kind of an interesting character but it's got to be Crusher all the way, sorry. Doesn't help that a lot of Pulaski's season is utterly bloody miserable, when TNG was really struggling still...it even ends with the dreaded clip show. Although S2 does have Measure Of A Man, of course.

Kunster posted:

Ta! I'm just glad it's out there. :) proud of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsbmzOs-iJk

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

fatherboxx posted:

always bet on duke

Was that a Lowtax alt? :v:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I have some thoughts to share about Kim's video in my head, but I wanna watch the whole thing before posting them.

Jacob Geller made a video about the Don Hertzfeldt Simpsons Intro.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz03oRqJmyc

Posting this here in case the Youtube algorithm didnt help the people here out, but good old James Stephanie Sterling has reached less than 900k subscribers!
(I must be living in a good country, since I always get notified)

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

Was that a Lowtax alt? :v:

That guy used to be a mod years ago until he got outed as a massive creep who liked to draw...um, quite horrid things involving women and toilets.

Also completely obsessed with Duke Nukem. Based his entire identity on Duke Nukem.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

DeafNote posted:

Posting this here in case the Youtube algorithm didnt help the people here out, but good old James Stephanie Sterling has reached less than 900k subscribers!

Fair warning, about midway through they really dig into the obvious motivation behind the subscriber exodus.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

always bet on duke

I swear I thought this was my brain playing tricks on me but nope it was real!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

DeafNote posted:

I have no doubts about the awfulness of Youtube's algorithm or their monetization policies, but I do still get notifications for every new Sterling video.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Adding this one to my list of "existential crises regarding the continued existence of The Simpsons" playlist alongside Super Eyepatch Wolf's videos. I've only seen Don Hertzfeld's family learning channel short film but this has convinced me to go watch his other stuff. Oof.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

OneMoreTime posted:

Late as hell to this convo but reading the Duke 4 forums for research for my podcast was really revealing in that people still are defending the Hive to this day vigorously. Like multipage arguments about how "No it's supposed to be grim and dark and Duke is feeling real despair here" as his weird sex slaves make bad jokes about promising to work off the baby fat within a week and other such nonsense.

yeah like who defends that poo poo. like i defend some dumb poo poo in games but like that was weird and gross and doesn't even match dukes tone on any level. to me, duke has always been johnny bravo meets Ash williams but a bigger dickhead, like yeah he says sexist poo poo but its mostly out of juvenile hornyness and poo poo. like its not a game that's equipped to deal with rape of any kind and all the previous games steered away from that by a couple country miles.

idk. like the whole loving level is weird hosed up clash of tones and probably shouldn't be in the game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldF0RJZtut0

Sage pulls out one of the worst gutter trash series for a video: Master of Martial Hearts.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mr.Radar posted:

Curio, a leftist media critic, takes a deep dive into the many flaws, from the surface-level to the foundational, of Cyberpunk 2077:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_SzMP-V4mA

Couple pages back but this is really good and also hits on the same point that Noah's video did about 2077: even if it was a 100% bug-free experience, the game would still be incredibly flawed because it is just a shallow regurgitation of genre tropes and references without any thought put into what those tropes mean or why they were used in the first place. It's the "wow cool future!" while the dystopian themes shoot over your head meme but in game form.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Kunster posted:

I have some thoughts to share about Kim's video in my head, but I wanna watch the whole thing before posting them.

Hey finally got around to watching the whole thing!

Noticed that yeah the RI lp was integrated into it, and its a part of Trespasser's DNA at this point. I'm surprised there wasn't a peep at the vista he indicated on his last video, given the new technology we have now. And it does go over way more than he did, which is rather impressive. It's a video I've been waiting since late February and it goes somewhat beyond what I was expecting.

Whang's crew knocked another internet mystery down, regarding an unknown artist that was only known for its simlish cover on the Sims soundtrack.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I am baffled at what kind of audience the Simpsons even has to justify its tortured existence. The series is so long-running they have two retcons for Homer to be in a younger generation, but I think Grandpa is still a WWII vet so it’s just a wreck now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Kunster posted:

Hey finally got around to watching the whole thing!

Noticed that yeah the RI lp was integrated into it, and its a part of Trespasser's DNA at this point. I'm surprised there wasn't a peep at the vista he indicated on his last video, given the new technology we have now. And it does go over way more than he did, which is rather impressive. It's a video I've been waiting since late February and it goes somewhat beyond what I was expecting.

Whang's crew knocked another internet mystery down, regarding an unknown artist that was only known for its simlish cover on the Sims soundtrack.

ResearchIndicates' amazing LP was the thing that got me interested in Trespasser. Such a wonderful series.

Jim Stephanie's new video is depressingly relatable, thinking back to when I did the thing and came out on YT. It was not easy, and that's for a way smaller channel.