Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I want to go back to snippet from Walensky that has been widely quoted. Or has it been misquoted?

quote:

We also need to say that this is not permission for widespread removal of masks, for those who are vaccinated. It may take some time for them to feel comfortable removing their masks.

That’s my punctation. I believe it is correct, but it could reasonably be punctuated as follows.

quote:

We also need to say that this is not permission for widespread removal of masks. For those who are vaccinated, it may take some time for them to feel comfortable removing their masks.

Either version patronizes vaccinated persons for not feeling comfortable, but that’s the smaller fry here.

What is she saying? “this is not permission for widespread removal of masks”, period? This is the version the headline editors like, suggesting a walk back.

Or is it the other reading, the one where she maintains the fiction that only the vaccinated are emboldened by the latest from CDC and walks back nothing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Platystemon posted:

I want to go back to snippet from Walensky that has been widely quoted. Or has it been misquoted?

That’s my punctation. I believe it is correct, but it could reasonably be punctuated as follows.

Either version patronizes vaccinated persons for not feeling comfortable, but that’s the smaller fry here.

What is she saying? “this is not permission for widespread removal of masks”, period? This is the version the headline editors like, suggesting a walk back.

Or is it the other reading, the one where she maintains the fiction that only the vaccinated are emboldened by the latest from CDC and walks back nothing?

I've been operating under the assumption she is not walking things back, and is content to let the fallout happen at the level of states and businesses. I know around here a lot of stores are keeping their mask requirements in place, but we'll see if that continues. I went to my local Safeway tonight and they still have a big sign up requiring masks, which is well within businesses' purview, but I don't know how much I can expect them to keep with it if people start flogging the CDC guidance as an excuse.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

Here's that quote in the context of the full interview. Timestamped to 3:20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP1vYnExV4g&t=200s

I dunno :shrug:

Note that she's note super great at public speaking, jump to 6:45 for a great example of this "You didn't require death"

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Platystemon posted:

Walensky also says, in the Raddatz interview, “if you were to develop an infection—even if you got vaccinated—you can’t transmit that infection to other people”.

If someone knows where to find hot preprint she’s alluding to, please link it.

It's certainly not supported by anything I've seen, all the evidence is that if you have Coronavirus after vaccination you can still spread it but at a lesser rate than if you weren't vaccinated.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/one-dose-of-covid-19-vaccine-can-cut-household-transmission-by-up-to-half

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
On the topic of relaxing restrictions.

https://www.thelocal.se/20210512/sweden-delays-relaxation-of-covid-19-events-restrictions-until-at-least-june-1st/

The Local posted:

[...] This proposed relaxation was planned to come into effect from May 17th, after being postponed twice already.

Now the plan is that these changes will come into force from June 1st, but whether that happens is dependent on the spread of infection and burden on the healthcare sector.

Löfven said that when it happens, this will be “the first step in the government’s work to adapt and adjust the restrictions as the situation allows”.

“If everyone follows the restrictions and recommendations that are in place, and if the vaccinations go as they should, it is likely that we will return to a more normal situation in September,” he said.

It was announced that from June 1st, restaurants, bars and pubs will be able to open until 10.30pm, two hours later than the current closing time of 8.30pm. Again this is dependent on the level of infection at that time.

And from June 1st, the recommendations from the Public Health Agency will also be adjusted to a small extent. The agency’s director Johan Carlson said that the recommendation against indoor and outdoor summer camps and sports matches and competitions would be removed at this point, but that all the other recommendations will stay as they are.

This means that the general public will still be urged to work from home if they have the possibility, to limit social contacts to a small close circle, and to wear face masks on public transport in rush hour, among other things.

And the Public Health Authority (similar to the CDC's responsibilities) has announced guideline numbers for what is the "acceptable" levels before relaxing any restrictions, regarding:

* infections per 100 k
* hospitalizations
* ICU admissions

Of course, it's up to politicians to decide to follow those recommendations, but they will. I don't know why it would be so hard for other countries to do similarly: base policies on empirical evidence of reduced contagion. "If we have less than 200 infections per 100k in a two-week period, it's fine to <X>"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I found the rare thing so pure in it’s stupidity that will unite the thread.

The BBC has decided that the volume of your voice should decide if you wear a mask or not.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57087517

What fools we have been, we could have been unmasked all along if only we had known to whisper.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

learnincurve posted:

The BBC has decided that the volume of your voice should decide if you wear a mask or not.

What fools we have been, we could have been unmasked all along if only we had known to whisper.

I read an article months ago that suggested the covid numbers in Asia might be lower than the west because their people are so soft spoken. People keep writing articles about this stuff.

quote:

(REUTERS) - More quiet zones in high-risk indoor spaces, such as hospitals and restaurants, could help to cut coronavirus contagion risks, researchers have said, after a study showed that lowering speaking volume can reduce the spread of the disease.

In efforts to rein in transmission, a reduction of 6 decibels in average speech levels can have the same effect as doubling a room's ventilation, scientists said on Wednesday (Sept 9), in an advance copy of a paper detailing their study.

"The results suggest that public health authorities should consider implementing 'quiet zones' in high-risk indoor environments, such as hospital waiting rooms or dining facilities," wrote the six researchers from the University of California, Davis.
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/speak-softly-and-scatter-fewer-coronavirus-particles-say-researchers

quote:

Recorded music at food and beverage (F&B) outlets can only be played softly in the background so patrons do not have to raise their voices to be heard, Education Minister Lawrence Wong said at a virtual press conference yesterday.

Mr Wong, who co-chairs a multi-ministry task force battling Covid-19, said: "This is a concern because of the risk of people speaking loudly and droplets spreading, especially when diners are in a restaurant in close proximity within a table, without their masks on.

"So, as an added precaution, we will tighten the rules to make very clear to all F&B outlets that recorded music at these outlets will only be allowed as soft background music."

Live music and live broadcasts - both on television and radio - as well as video screenings remain disallowed.
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/fb-outlets-must-play-recorded-music-softly

There's always more and it's always way more dumber than you could have ever suspected :v:

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

An honest to God conversation I overheard at the grocery store this weekend.

"I know 6 people who died of the vaccine already. And they're not even reporting that."

"I heard you only have a 1% chance of dying of covid, that's why I'm not vaccinating or vaccinating my kids."

"Exactly. You have a 4000% chance of getting symptoms from the vaccine instead of just getting covid."

I got a bad feeling that these two might not keep up with mask mandates, just a hunch.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

learnincurve posted:

The charts do come off as incredibly stupid, because they seem to focus on loudness rather than the real take-away of the article, which is staying outdoors and limiting time spent. There's some dissonance between the messaging of the text and the illustrations.

They do seem to get each individual piece of information correct, don't they? They just seem to stumble on the landing by the repeated mention of loudness. Like, this is very sensible advice:

quote:

Such actions can make us feel more in control, but Dr Hughes said it would be better to focus on "duration, proximity and avoiding enclosed spaces".

Being indoors, with lots of different people, for longer periods of time, significantly increases the risk of the virus spreading.

EugeneDebsWasCool
Nov 10, 2017
Buglord

Saros posted:

It's certainly not supported by anything I've seen, all the evidence is that if you have Coronavirus after vaccination you can still spread it but at a lesser rate than if you weren't vaccinated.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/one-dose-of-covid-19-vaccine-can-cut-household-transmission-by-up-to-half

That's after one dose not after being fully vaccinated.

It's very, very unlikely for a fully vaccinated person to have enough of a viral load to be contagious even if they become infected. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/14/health/cdc-masks-vaccines-variants.html

Saying that fully vaccinated people will still spread the virus is an argument that anti-vaxxers use to justify not getting vaccinated.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

A family member was stating that he heard that you can mix up your shots in that you can get pfizer for your first shot and then AZ or Moderna for the second shot and things should still be good.

Is this possible or good to do?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

TV Zombie posted:

A family member was stating that he heard that you can mix up your shots in that you can get pfizer for your first shot and then AZ or Moderna for the second shot and things should still be good.

I certainly wouldn't do it intentionally. I wouldn't be surprised if it was fine and if I'd had it done accidentally, I'd probably be able to feel okay about it. They just haven't done any studies on it that I know of and going outside the tried and tested course of action doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EugeneDebsWasCool posted:

Saying that fully vaccinated people will still spread the virus is an argument that anti-vaxxers use to justify not getting vaccinated.

But people in this thread have said that :confused: :tinfoil:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TV Zombie posted:

quote:

The safety and efficacy of a mixed-product series have not been evaluated. Both doses of the series should be completed with the same product.

quote:

every effort should be made to determine which vaccine product was received as the first dose to ensure completion of the vaccine series with the same product. In exceptional situations in which the mRNA vaccine product given for the first dose cannot be determined or is no longer available, any available mRNA COVID-19 vaccine may be administered at a minimum interval of 28 days between doses to complete the mRNA COVID-19 vaccination series. In situations where the same mRNA vaccine product is temporarily unavailable, it is preferable to delay the second dose (up to 6 weeks) to receive the same product than to receive a mixed series using a different product. If two doses of different mRNA COVID-19 vaccine products are administered in these situations (or inadvertently), no additional doses of either product are recommended at this time. Such persons are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ≥2 weeks after receipt of the second dose of an mRNA vaccine.

quote:

Although CDC provides considerations for a mixed series in exceptional circumstances, this is still considered an administration error that requires VAERS reporting (as a mixed series is not authorized under the vaccine Emergency Use Authorizations).

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/clinical-considerations.html#vaccinating-exposure

That’s what the U.S. CDC says, anyway.

I know there was a talk of a trial of mixed doses in the UK, but I don’t know what came of it.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

wilderthanmild posted:

I certainly wouldn't do it intentionally. I wouldn't be surprised if it was fine and if I'd had it done accidentally, I'd probably be able to feel okay about it. They just haven't done any studies on it that I know of and going outside the tried and tested course of action doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

The UK is finishing up a smaller study on exactly this around the end of the month.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

learnincurve posted:

Anything to get people who won’t shut the gently caress up to knock it off

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I like when every poster in the thread has knives pulled on every other poster for like 3 pages before everyone realizes we're all talking about the same thing lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Whispering probably is legitimately safer than talking at normal volume, but I really don’t see that as a winning public health message.

We should try to push that choirs are just about the worst activity possible in a respiratory pandemic. Woodwind instruments might be worse. That’s about it.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Platystemon posted:

Whispering probably is legitimately safer than talking at normal volume, but I really don’t see that as a winning public health message.

We should try to push that choirs are just about the worst activity possible in a respiratory pandemic. Woodwind instruments might be worse. That’s about it.

white dread drum circles in outdoor plazas are a GO then

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Platystemon posted:

Choirs are worse than anything else including wind instruments according to what I've read. Woodwinds like a clarinet or saxophone actually put out air at a very slow rate (in terms of velocity) compared to the puffs of speaking loudly or singing.

The possible worst culprit might be flutes, because you blow fast air straight out into the room, but I don't know if it's been compared to singing specifically.

The only sane conclusion to draw is that everyone unvaccinated should avoid singing or playing together indoors, but that is already covered by the recommendation to avoid meeting other people indoors.

TV Zombie posted:

In addition to the above statements, Oxford researchers recently concluded that the known mild side effects (myalgia, fever etc) are slightly worse when mixing. No word on the efficacy/immunity if I read it correctly. It does not seem unreasonable that two mixed doses would work better than just one dose, but I'd wait for the official studies before trying that on myself.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57075503

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-04-14-alternating-vaccines-trial-expands-include-two-additional-vaccines-0

The reason for studying it, I think is because Sweden are considering not giving people a second dose of the AZ for safety reasons.

Edit: I misremembered, the study is run by Oxford U.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 17, 2021

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
aren't there some people in the thread with 3 vaccines in their body and they feel fine/indestructible

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

The only sane conclusion to draw is that everyone unvaccinated should avoid singing or playing together indoors, but that is already covered by the recommendation to avoid meeting other people indoors.

People who I otherwise respect have been having their children participate in choir.

They’re not stupid. They are tragically mislead by essentially the totality of society.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

It's very, very unlikely for a fully vaccinated person to have enough of a viral load to be contagious even if they become infected. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/14/health/cdc-masks-vaccines-variants.html

Anti-vaxxers are going to use a bunch of nonsense arguments to justify not getting vaccinated and there's no value in attempting to craft messages around what their response is going to be rather than crafting messages around reality.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
texas covid deaths have essentially stopped at this point, doomers btfo

EugeneDebsWasCool
Nov 10, 2017
Buglord

Thoguh posted:

Anti-vaxxers are going to use a bunch of nonsense arguments to justify not getting vaccinated and there's no value in attempting to craft messages around what their response is going to be rather than crafting messages around reality.

I agree but there's also no sense in repeating their talking points particularly when they've been shown to be untrue.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thoguh posted:

Yeah pretty much.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: playing four-dimensional chess with public health messaging does not work. Be honest with the facts, to the public and to yourself.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Is that based on the Israeli study? Because one of the (many!) assumptions in that preprint was that fully vaxxed people were absolutely passing on the infection to other fully vaxxed people

quote:

Fourth, it has been estimated that 33% of all cases in Israel are due to household transmission. As about 50% of 60+ individuals live in a household of only two individuals and are likely to be both vaccinated, some of the events in our data must reflect the transmission from a vaccinated person toanother vaccinated person. If the viral load is correlated between individuals, our analysis may overestimate tosome extent the viral load reduction by vaccination. However, we believe that this confounder is relatively mild.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.02.08.21251329v1.full.pdf

They also didn't know the vaccination status of the people used for the study but assumed that the age cohort 60+ were more likely to have been vaxxed than the younger cohort and assumed that would explain any difference in the averaged Ct values of positive qPCRtests between the two groups, ignoring the huge amount of NPIs that were in place during the testing period, the fact that people aged 60+ were much much more likely to be isolating and the fact that people aged 60+ were a much much smaller percentage of the population.

Thoguh posted:

Yeah the CDC & the White House have hosed up over and over by trying to steer the public pandemic response in placating terms rather than just speaking openly and plainly. The fact that they tried to convince the general public that they didn't need to wear masks because they were afraid people would hoard all the N95s and there'd be none for hospitals is the biggest example. It's especially egregious considering the fact that most hospitals didn't give a poo poo and made their staff wear the same N95 mask for a month and fashion gowns out of garbage bags because they didn't want to spend any $$$$$ on more PPE anyway.
And in the end when they had to do an about face and start begging people to wear masks (and even recommended double masking!) their inconsistent messaging was just playing into the hands of the anti-vaxx crowd

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

I agree but there's also no sense in repeating their talking points particularly when they've been shown to be untrue.

It is an untrue statement to say that we know that vaccinated people cannot spread COVID. People insisting on rounding up small risks and small chances and declaring them to be zero are doing a lot more damage than anything gained by lieing to people and declaring they are immune and can just totally forget about COVID once they are vaccinated.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Thoguh posted:

It is an untrue statement to say that we know that vaccinated people cannot spread COVID. People insisting on rounding up small risks and small chances and declaring them to be zero are doing a lot more damage than anything gained by lieing to people and declaring they are immune and can just totally forget about COVID once they are vaccinated.

perhaps people like you dooming about post-vaccinated spread could offer an alternate way out of the pandemic (you don't want it because your life revolves around being miserable on the computer)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stellers bae posted:

(you don't want it because your life revolves around being miserable on the computer)

:irony:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

stellers bae posted:

perhaps people like you dooming about post-vaccinated spread could offer an alternate way out of the pandemic (you don't want it because your life revolves around being miserable on the computer)

I see that you're not bothering to reply to the actual point and going straight to an attack because you know your point isn't valid and you don't have a good response. So congrats on that.

But the early guidance last year was that we'd emerged from the pandemic when there was less than 10 cases per 100k people per week. That seems like an okay metric to me. I'd like for us to reach that metric.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

stellers bae posted:

Maintain restrictions until infections drop below a pre-determined level, vaxx the gently caress out of everyone in the meantime.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Thoguh posted:

I see that you're not bothering to reply to the actual point and going straight to an attack because you know your point isn't valid and you don't have a good response. So congrats on that.

But the early guidance last year was that we'd emerged from the pandemic when there was less than 10 cases per 100k people per week. That seems like an okay metric to me. I'd like for us to reach that metric.

you lost and the chads are back in the bar. sorry man

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

stellers bae posted:

you lost and the chads are back in the bar. sorry man

Oh wow, I am totally owned. Good job. Just devestating.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Thoguh posted:

Oh wow, I am totally owned. Good job. Just devestating.

get vaxxed and trust the science

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The ownage continue, I'm just down for the count here.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

stellers bae posted:

get vaxxed and trust the science

Over 52% of the US population are completely unvaxxed as of right now
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

30% of Americans currently say they don't plan on getting the vaxx
https://www.pewresearch.org/science/2021/03/05/growing-share-of-americans-say-they-plan-to-get-a-covid-19-vaccine-or-already-have/

Vaccines could have ended the pandemic in the US but that's just not going to happen in this reality. What's your next suggestion?

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 18, 2021

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

let the unvaxxed get covid and die, who cares

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Over 62% of the US population are completely unvaxxed as of right now
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

30% of Americans currently say they don't plan on getting the vaxx
https://www.pewresearch.org/science/2021/03/05/growing-share-of-americans-say-they-plan-to-get-a-covid-19-vaccine-or-already-have/

Vaccines could have ended the pandemic in the US but that's just not going to happen in this reality. What's your next suggestion?

I hate to say it but I've pretty much accepted that some portion of my wife's family will die of covid in the next year because they refuse to get vaccinated or take even the most basic precautions when not forced to.

Not a good feeling at all but better than spending the last 12 months convinced my parents were going to die because they took every precaution imaginable but somebody at the grocery store would cough on my Dad.

I'm definitely not out there yelling "COVID IS OVER, LET ME SEE YOUR BEAUTIFUL SMILES AGAIN!" but I have reached a point of acceptance that we'll never be able to protect everybody in the United States, because not everybody can take even the SLIGHTEST bit of personal responsibility.

What does suck is people who can't get vaccinated for health reasons and is still at risk, and I hope we reach enough of a vaccination rate for those people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

ben shapino posted:

let the unvaxxed get covid and die, who cares

As one of more than 10 million Americans who will never be able to get vaxxed effectively, I guess I care a little bit.

Not mentioning the millions of kids under 12 who are still going to be waiting months to a year to get theirs.