Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjH1wCx6Zos

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
sir that man is an australian and we, a disgusting, benighted and lowly people, are entitled to use that word whenever we want

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have you guys noticed that every mod posts on the same obnoxious nerd tone of voice. I remember Video Games not posting like that until they got tapped to mod Games and suddenly always used their shift key and also never posted in imp zone again. So the only question is, do they only make sex criminals mods or is that tendency downloaded in with the whiny loser grammar package.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Dongicus posted:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Putting this here after posting it in the marxism thread:

Being mean to me is a sixer. Repeatedly doing it will ramp you up to a day, 3 days, etc.

Saying I'm a bad mod, or implying the same, is from this point on a ban+30.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

wait when did oval office become a slur

lmao I’d say what a joke but this is pathetic not funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozWpY6Cn67Y

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

exmarx posted:

Putting this here after posting it in the marxism thread:

Being mean to me is a sixer. Repeatedly doing it will ramp you up to a day, 3 days, etc.

Saying I'm a bad mod, or implying the same, is from this point on a ban+30.

wait weren't you probed for a week?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

some plague rats posted:

wait weren't you probed for a week?

psalm 34:15

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3918745&pagenumber=705&perpage=40#post513234231

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962781

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

mods are pedos.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
holy poo poo that c y rano post

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
:nms:3) Babies don't have teeth. That's where most of the bad parts of biting during a blowjob happen.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
it's cool how the compromise was to de-admin cyrano but keep him as a mod because he's some kind of gun nazi whisperer who gives them an A+ if they can write essay-length justifications of their racial theories and this is good somehow

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

exmarx posted:

it's been embarrassing watching you try to force your way into this thread, then kill the previous version when it didn't work. you've been told repeatedly that no one wants you here – there are other people who can moderate this thread, you don't need to read it.

all the bad word posting shows is that you don't have any kind of authority, no matter how many probations you give out. it's entirely a reaction to your consistently bad decisions. you hosed up really bad stepping on the xinjiang discussion, made more competent mods clean up your mess, then went straight back to antagonising.

it's clear that you aren't capable of interacting with the community without using your buttons, and seem intent on making yourself the centre of attention. please go away.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

exmarx posted:

it's been embarrassing watching you try to force your way into this thread, then kill the previous version when it didn't work. you've been told repeatedly that no one wants you here – there are other people who can moderate this thread, you don't need to read it.

all the bad word posting shows is that you don't have any kind of authority, no matter how many probations you give out. it's entirely a reaction to your consistently bad decisions. you hosed up really bad stepping on the xinjiang discussion, made more competent mods clean up your mess, then went straight back to antagonising.

it's clear that you aren't capable of interacting with the community without using your buttons, and seem intent on making yourself the centre of attention. please go away.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
finished with Beevor's book on the Spanish Civil War last week, started on Parenti's book on Julius Caesar yesterday:

the "rules based liberal order" of American foreign policy and propagandizing against enemies of the state

Jeffrey Epstein

Bernardivs Panderivs

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

swimsuit posted:

sir that man is an australian and we, a disgusting, benighted and lowly people, are entitled to use that word whenever we want

I now know what it's like to be oppressed :'(

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

Have you guys noticed that every mod posts on the same obnoxious nerd tone of voice. I remember Video Games not posting like that until they got tapped to mod Games and suddenly always used their shift key and also never posted in imp zone again. So the only question is, do they only make sex criminals mods or is that tendency downloaded in with the whiny loser grammar package.

VideoGames going from an n-word guy to performatively happy guy is a good thing imo. we don't need to see him battle his demons

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

exmarx posted:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

am i the only one that just thinks all of this is really weird?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

exmarx posted:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

gradenko_2000 posted:

finished with Beevor's book on the Spanish Civil War last week, started on Parenti's book on Julius Caesar yesterday:

the "rules based liberal order" of American foreign policy and propagandizing against enemies of the state

Jeffrey Epstein

Bernardivs Panderivs

I liked Parenti's book on Caesar for the most part - especially when he's ripping the 'gentleman historians' to shreds - but I did think it was pretty sloppy of him to cite quotes from Mithridates and Calgacus as if they were genuine criticisms of Roman imperialism from its victims and not completely invented quotes from people who might be invented themselves (in the case of Calgacus) and whose words were Romans making political points from within the system, not without. I don't really understand why he presents it this way - that the criticism comes from Tacitus and not a Caledonian chief doesn't invalidate the criticism, and in fact adds weight to the idea that there was opposition to these policies within Rome. I'm not a classicist myself by any means but I spotted this and a couple other instances, like where he cites the words of a historian who lived centuries after Caesar to prove that Caesar said or did specific things that have no other source. I'm sure there are others throughout the book too, and it weakens his case even though it's a powerful argument he makes. He's really good when focusing on the actual material situation in Roman society and how the political factions faced each other though, I thought.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

lol at 100 new posts and it's just Flavius being Flavius.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Dongicus posted:

lol

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

gradenko_2000 posted:

finished with Beevor's book on the Spanish Civil War last week, started on Parenti's book on Julius Caesar yesterday

I finished this the other day. His chapter on the Catiline Conspiracy is really good. Was kinda surprised Parenti didn't mention that the quotations from people like Calgacus were most likely invented by Tacitus since it was common for ancient historians to use different historical figures as mouthpieces and just make up stuff that they said. Still, the class struggle in Late Republican Rome is fascinating. Fortunately more contemporary popular historians like Adrian Goldsworthy or Tom Holland focus on it, but that's probably a consequence of the post-2008 zeitgeist more than anything.

Also as someone who lurked in the old thread I'm bummed because it was probably the most informative/useful thread in C-SPAM for me over the past couple years and imo if the mods just left it alone and stopped posting in it things would have been fine

MeatwadIsGod has issued a correction as of 14:49 on May 17, 2021

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Zodium posted:

Flavius you are such a loving loser.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

I’m loling at flavius, in between making unfounded implications that other posters are rapists, doing the mental gymnastics to convince himself that all this is happening because he hasn’t probed people hard enough for slurs

everyone hates you flavius, just log off forever and you’ll never see the r-word on this forum again, I promise

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

CODChimera posted:

am i the only one that just thinks all of this is really weird?

no. no you are not.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

it is weird to me to have such a bad mod, I feel like I've spent years on this forum without seeing such egregiously misplaced power, though maybe it's just because I never hung out in the places where bad moderation was happening before.

it's astonishing how much it fucks up everything. I liked the communism thread, even though they are mean to trotskyists. I would like to go back to liking it, preferably very soon

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
It’s all very embarrassing.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I finished this the other day. His chapter on the Catiline Conspiracy is really good. Was kinda surprised Parenti didn't mention that the quotations from people like Calgacus were most likely invented by Tacitus since it was common for ancient historians to use different historical figures as mouthpieces and just make up stuff that they said. Still, the class struggle in Late Republican Rome is fascinating. Fortunately more contemporary popular historians like Adrian Goldsworthy or Tom Holland focus on it, but that's probably a consequence of the post-2008 zeitgeist more than anything.

Also as someone who lurked in the old thread I'm bummed because it was probably the most informative/useful thread in C-SPAM for me over the past couple years and imo if the mods just left it alone and stopped posting in it things would have been fine

Are there any other sources that make the same claims about the Catiline Conspiracy as Parenti? I'm no expert but I've come across people saying Parenti basically made up his version of events, and I don't want that to be true but couldn't personally find anything to say otherwise.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Quotey posted:

It’s all very embarrassing.

Glenn thread basking in the glow of managing to still be better

John Charity Spring posted:

I liked Parenti's book on Caesar for the most part - especially when he's ripping the 'gentleman historians' to shreds - but I did think it was pretty sloppy of him to cite quotes from Mithridates and Calgacus as if they were genuine criticisms of Roman imperialism from its victims and not completely invented quotes from people who might be invented themselves (in the case of Calgacus) and whose words were Romans making political points from within the system, not without. I don't really understand why he presents it this way - that the criticism comes from Tacitus and not a Caledonian chief doesn't invalidate the criticism, and in fact adds weight to the idea that there was opposition to these policies within Rome. I'm not a classicist myself by any means but I spotted this and a couple other instances, like where he cites the words of a historian who lived centuries after Caesar to prove that Caesar said or did specific things that have no other source. I'm sure there are others throughout the book too, and it weakens his case even though it's a powerful argument he makes. He's really good when focusing on the actual material situation in Roman society and how the political factions faced each other though, I thought.

Huh okay I didn't even know that Mithridates and Calgacus was fake news. My level of familiarity with Roman history is Dan Carlin's series on the Republic and Mike Duncan's History of Rome, so thank you for putting this into context.

Mostly I was blown away by how directly he manages to frame the issue of historiography being as colored and "biased" as it is from how we know of it, and even just the attempt of trying to write a "people's history" of Rome is a hell of a rhetorical device, even if there's bound to be wide gaping holes in it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Fortaleza posted:

Because he’s actually contributed positively and shown he can be trusted to use his buttons in an even-handed way and not shut everything down or be retaliatory with them. He’s better, basically.

This has gone on long enough and the thread should get back on track from this argument. Luckily it’s over and I’ve clearly won.

sorry, what does "even-handed" mean here w/r/t saying slurs? will there be times that someone calls someone else the r-world and the even-handed gradenko lets it slide, while the trigger-happy flavius punishes it?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ferrinus posted:

sorry, what does "even-handed" mean here w/r/t saying slurs? will there be times that someone calls someone else the r-world and the even-handed gradenko lets it slide, while the trigger-happy flavius punishes it?

gradenko can be trusted not to spiral out of control with petty retribution if people don't like what he does, I suspect

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Mr. Lobe posted:

gradenko can be trusted not to spiral out of control with petty retribution if people don't like what he does, I suspect

but you're still not going to answer the yes or no question, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ferrinus posted:

but you're still not going to answer the yes or no question, right?

you know what, maybe he won't probate for every use of the r-word, I dunno. But I can promise you this, the r-word will end up being used orders of magnitudes less

I'm all for a harm reduction approach