Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
When I was younger I used to think that color scheme was for old guys in Texas. Now I love it. I've thought about redoing my guitar in that color scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I’m not usually a strat guy, but that guitar fucks.

All I need is to replace the off white hardware with whites, replace pickguard with a mirrored chrome or something or with an aluminized mylar back...or even just chrome something...replace the tremolo bridge with a hard tail...and boom.

Hitmaker.

Basic Poster fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 7, 2021

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Working on some upgrades to my home studio setup. Picked up a new 27" iMac and an Acme Eleazar desk. Desk is super solid, easy to put together, nice hardware. My only qualm, and it's a minor one, is that the surfaces have a tactile "woodgrain" to them instead of being smooth. Makes writing notes on a single piece of paper a bit annoying, but it's not a huge deal.

Also, the lights are the Ikea "Dioder" LEDs. I've had them for a few years and typically have them attached to my bass cabinets for shows. I'm running a Hue setup throughout the house and plan on getting some strips for the desk eventually so I can put these back on the cabinets.

Next up, new monitors bc these old rear end M-Audios are approaching their last leg.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I have a really bad habit of just mindlessly shopping.

This is an EMG KH20 loaded pickguard I got from Amazon Warehouse that had damage to the box… but no damage to the internals…. For $160. (Retails for $250+) I put that poo poo on my Squier Bullet Strat. The neck is an unfinished slim C and the fretwork is smooth and good enough to support action down at ~1.25mm.

In position 4, the single coils have great clarity and chimey bells, some quack but not as much as the cheapies in the old pickguard. The Katana sounds bluesy great on the clean channel with gain and volume dimed with just a bit of boost from the “tube screamer.” Edge of breakup seems easily controlled with the knob and the pick attack.

On the bridge (EMG 81) with Ola’s Metal Rhythm patch loaded on the Katana cost me about 30 minutes, lost in some of the most amazing sounding chords. Tight, clear, dynamic, full of detail. No wonder EMGs are so damned popular. My face hurts.

Even at $250, this poo poo would be amazing. So sensitive and versatile. Too bad it’s associated with Kirk Hammet.

One of the BEST things about it is that the god damned volume knob is moved a tasteful distance away from the bridge pickup. Just a master V, and a master T.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I have become...

comfortably numb

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Nice, Vick Audio makes some neat pedals. I was using one of his Tree of Life overdrive pedals on my board for a while and that thing was great.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hasselblad posted:

I have become...

comfortably numb

Looks nice, guessing by the comfortably numb reference it’s a big muff clone?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

I have become...

comfortably numb

Slapping one of these on my board is what really brought it all together. Have fun, you're gonna love it!

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
$100 project bass

Hondo Deluxe Series 808. 30" scale, body shaped like a Fender Lead, volume, tone, and a P-Bass pickup. String through bridge with brass saddles. From sometime around 1981/2, made in Korea. The plastic bag on the headstock in the first picture contains the original tuners. Need to clean it up and get strings on it, and a nut and washer for the output jack.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
$100 La Patrie steel string, from the early 90s. Kind of an oddball, there's little record of them on the net or in Godin's catalog. Bit of a dip next to the sound hole, but the braces aren't loose and it plays well, so I went for it. All cherry except for the fretboard, which is rosewood. Rather loud, bright tone, a little weak in the bass but that's fine for what I play. Nice beater. Looking forward to running it until it explodes.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

PSS-560 - I've always had fun playing around with old Yamaha and Casio keyboards from the thrift. I think this one mostly sounds hideous but it's got some really fun bits too. This may be the funnest Portasound keyboard I've played with. I'm sure I can run this through some serious fuzz to get some really fun sounds. It has a really unusual drum machine and a whole buttload of possibly crappy sounding synth voices. And it's got this bass line controller that sort of gives me an auto-Devo sound. It's pretty cool all together.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 14, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

petit choux posted:

PSS-560 - I've always had fun playing around with old Yamaha and Casio keyboards from the thrift. I think this one mostly sounds hideous but it's got some really fun bits too. This may be the funnest Portasound keyboard I've played with. I'm sure I can run this through some serious fuzz to get some really fun sounds. It has a really unusual drum machine and a whole buttload of possibly crappy sounding synth voices. And it's got this bass line controller that sort of gives me an auto-Devo sound. It's pretty cool all together.

Hell yeah! now you need to mod it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgs9eA6wq0Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvzqILTdTpc

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Portasounds are awesome, and more capable than they seem at first. I've got the Chispynth PortaFM plugin to get the sound with no noise and I use it for tons of stuff. I used to use a tiny one live with the drum machine, and hell yes I did use the fill button.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

beer gas canister posted:

Portasounds are awesome, and more capable than they seem at first. I've got the Chispynth PortaFM plugin to get the sound with no noise and I use it for tons of stuff. I used to use a tiny one live with the drum machine, and hell yes I did use the fill button.

Yeah, also true for their portasound drums. I just took an old DD-55 and disabled a sensor and put a jack so you can use a conventional footpedal in its place. It's time to start modding all those old keyboards. Looking forward to modding it some more too. You take the crappy speakers out of Portasounds and you've got a lot of room inside and some panel space for new buttons or switches.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 14, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

fucken a

Also got a DD-20 for like 7$, which is traditionally what you pay for a DD-20 at a thrift, but not nowadays so much.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 14, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

beer gas canister posted:

This raises more questions. I was never aware of a fm synth emulator from plogue, and now I'm wondering if Bidule is still active. And when you say you use the plug to get the sound with no noise, what do you mean?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

petit choux posted:

This raises more questions. I was never aware of a fm synth emulator from plogue, and now I'm wondering if Bidule is still active. And when you say you use the plug to get the sound with no noise, what do you mean?

My old Portasound had a hella noisy output so I couldn't record it very well. Also, the Plogue copy allows you to swap the authentically eumulated DAC with a "perfect" 12 bit DAC to reduce noise and... I think aliasing, but I can't say that I'm very familiar with the particulars. The tone is more pure sounding with the improved DAC but loses some of the gritty character. I use it both ways.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I keep wanting to buy a nice sampler and then I keep finding all this cool vintage gear for a couple bucks again. M place is totally cluttered with cheap electronic gear, I need to sell some of it, and I still love it. I've also got a couple matching Casio Tone Banks. I thought they were pretty known for their subtractive synths or something too. Boggles my mind what I could do with a matching pair of them, probably going to sell them to make some room here, and help finance a blackbox from 1010 or something. But with toys like these I feel like I hardly need a sampler.

OMG this portasound is fun, totally worth the $30.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Inflation’s gonna eat up my savings so it’s time to buy buy buy!

So I got myself a gig bag!

Oh, what’s this?

It’s some kind of piccolo bass!

My old soprano uke’s okay, but trying to play jazzy sixth chords has been pretty tough. So I decided to treat myself to a nice new tenor, and oh boy the solid mahogany is gorgeous. :swoon:

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

~1982-3 Harmony H666GT, made by Samick. Pretty good shape, a couple of scrapes and dings, and the paint has yellowed in spots. Tone controls are dead, volume is good, missing knobs that don't really need replacing.

Only "bad" thing

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Siivola posted:

Inflation’s gonna eat up my savings so it’s time to buy buy buy!

So I got myself a gig bag!

Oh, what’s this?

It’s some kind of piccolo bass!

My old soprano uke’s okay, but trying to play jazzy sixth chords has been pretty tough. So I decided to treat myself to a nice new tenor, and oh boy the solid mahogany is gorgeous. :swoon:

Love this, I wish I played more to justify upgrading to a proper uke.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
tenor ukes are so fun

SuperiorToaster
Jul 22, 2004
Inferior
Fun Shoe
After a long time on the waiting list and a month stuck in customs limbo I finally got my Soma Laboratory Pulsar-23! :toot:

Comes in a really nice case, I got #365 from the Russian division.

All patched up and ready to go

Here's a video of the first thing I made with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOuJvpqqAFE

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Huxley posted:

Love this, I wish I played more to justify upgrading to a proper uke.
If you buy a uke you like you'll play it more! :banjo:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Siivola posted:

If you buy a uke you like you'll play it more! :banjo:

( ...fade in of Bill Murray singing "Everybody plays the Uke" while paddling down the river at summer camp... )

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I'm fixing one of my biggest gear regrets. I ordered myself a new truetone cs12 powersupply from reverb for about 163 bucks shipped. I already have a cs7 but I figured out quickly that 7 pedals just isn't enough for me and I need more power. Can't wait to make even dumber guitar sounds with the extra pedals.

Krustic fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 17, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don't have the money for a true modular synthesizer or some magnificent Korg, but I do have the money for a bunch of cheap midi controllers and a windows tablet. I also have a bunch of extra scrap wood, so I was planning to build a cabinet and jam a bunch of midi controller in there and make my own kind of custom booping machine.

Half of the components arrived today so I decided to try them out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T92_a5y5MqQ

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Krustic posted:

I'm fixing one of my biggest gear regrets. I ordered myself a new truetone cs12 powersupply from reverb for about 163 bucks shipped. I already have a cs7 but I figured out quickly that 7 pedals just isn't enough for me and I need more power. Can't wait to make even dumber guitar sounds with the extra pedals.

Just picked up one of these as well and I love it. Still need to work on my cable management, but it's so nice having a central unit with a lot of headroom for expansion. I dunno why I was just using a power-strip velcro'd to the underside for so long.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 19, 2021

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Scarf posted:

Just picked up one of these as well and I love it. Still need to work on my cable management, but it's so nice having a central unit with a lot of headroom for expansion. I dunno why I was just using a power-strip velcro'd to the underside for so long.

Nice. I got mine today. I decided I didn't want to use my bad DIY pedalboard anymore so I ordered a cheapy Mooer transformer pedalboard that was on sale. Then I decided I needed I needed a used EHX Epitome so I ordered one of those too. It's expensive but a POG, electric mistress, and a holy grail plus in one pedal seems worth it. Gear dorks gotta gear ya know.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

1963 Harmony H150 parlor guitar in decent enough shape, but like all cheap acoustics the action is poo poo. Just barely acceptable, and it's not helped by the 21.5" scale length.

Also not helped being strung like this

These bridges are fragile enough, it doesn't deserve that abuse. Also, it IS meant to have steel strings, but I will probably go nylon to take some of the strain off of everything.

So not terrible, not great, not really good, either, but when you have a bunch of Harmony guitars already, it was worth the $30 at the pawn shop.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
:captainpop:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I just got a harmony sovereign in much worse shape that I'm planning on converting to a pin bridge.
It's a pretty simple procedure for something that sounds really complicated.

You have to glue an appropriate bridge plate under the bridge area and glue the new bridge on top drill out/ream the bridge pin holes and should be good to go.

I love the old cheap acoustics they are perfect for learning how to do scary jobs.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

widefault posted:

Also not helped being strung like this

jesus CHRIST

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

whut?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

LOL

This is surprisingly nice:

Someday I will get an actual melodica so I can have real Ska cred.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
It's like they had a vague idea of how to string a classical and decided steel strings must got on in a similar way.

I can't get over how small this feels to play. I've had a ~22.5" Duo-Sonic and have a Squier Strat Mini that's similar scale length, and this at 21.5" feels way smaller.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Another great toy, this thing must be a tourist shop item, there aren't all that many in existence now I guess. I tried to tune it this evening and the pegs seemed so stiff I was afraid to try any further. I imagine I need to take the back off. Anyway, this is such a cool "first principles" teaching tool. Cast aluminum body with a cheapass masonite back.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

petit choux posted:

LOL

This is surprisingly nice:

Someday I will get an actual melodica so I can have real Ska cred.

Melodicas are great fun. I've got two vintage Suzuki Melodions - I bought one on eBay, then my mum gave me the other after I told her about this, revealing she had one from before I was born. In a house full of various musical instruments, I'd never heard of or seen the drat thing for forty years.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Elissimpark posted:

Melodicas are great fun. I've got two vintage Suzuki Melodions - I bought one on eBay, then my mum gave me the other after I told her about this, revealing she had one from before I was born. In a house full of various musical instruments, I'd never heard of or seen the drat thing for forty years.

LOL because she didn't want to reveal her checkered past :thejoke:

Can I appeal to this thread for advice? I'm looking at USB MIDI/DIN MIDI converters, sometimes known as USB MIDI hosts, and seeing three main products, Kenton, Camola aka DoReMIDI, and one other, the MIDIPlus. Anybody have experience with any of these? There are also some no-name and a few other brands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

petit choux posted:

Can I appeal to this thread for advice? I'm looking at USB MIDI/DIN MIDI converters, sometimes known as USB MIDI hosts, and seeing three main products, Kenton, Camola aka DoReMIDI, and one other, the MIDIPlus. Anybody have experience with any of these? There are also some no-name and a few other brands.

I don't have any advice on that, but it might also be worth asking in the Synths thread -- folks there might have some thoughts.