Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Republicans posted:

Yeah I really miss playing with TEB on Aradune but that's the kind of pace I can only keep during a quarantine. I'm hoping I can find a guild that does instances on wednesdays and thursdays on Mischief since I work all afternoon/evening the rest of the week.

Its worth checking out any Euro timezone guilds - they are all English language and usually about half the members are Americans who want to play/raid earlier in day. Generally speaking a weekday raid for a Euro guild would be around 11AM PST to 2PM PST give or take 30mins to an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Yeah they'll probably be my best bet but I'm on the west coast and sometimes have to leave for work as early as 11:30am so even that's gonna be a tough fit on work days. Just a really unfortunate time window at my new job. I miss my old job so much, was out by 1pm every day.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I wish I had the time to play this stupid game that I love so much. Work sucks.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Indecisive posted:

didnt mabbu rob + destroy like 2 mangler guilds in a row, or was he just 1 of them, i don't actually know the guy but i heard a lot of 3rd hand drama so idk how the gently caress anyone would trust that clown

Fippy, Phinny, Coirnav (that I’m a absolutely positive of)

His Mangler guild is still going. It has it’s issues, and he straight abandoned it at PoR launch to play TBC Classic, only to come back and announce his return to EQ for Mischief on their discord, but that’s Mabbu’s M.O.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

koreban posted:

Fippy, Phinny, Coirnav (that I’m a absolutely positive of)

His Mangler guild is still going. It has it’s issues, and he straight abandoned it at PoR launch to play TBC Classic, only to come back and announce his return to EQ for Mischief on their discord, but that’s Mabbu’s M.O.

What guild is it on mangler?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Doctor Party posted:

What guild is it on mangler?

Bloodthirst

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

koreban posted:

Bloodthirst

Ah. What's the status of mangler these days? Anyone know? Kursed, mess, magic and melee etc still around?

I forgot my discord password and have now locked myself out of discord haha. Otherwise I used to check out kursed discord from time to time.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I know midnight rations are still around, but everytime I peep the discord it is a whole new list of names I do not recognize save for a dozen or so.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doctor Party posted:

Ah. What's the status of mangler these days? Anyone know? Kursed, mess, magic and melee etc still around?

I forgot my discord password and have now locked myself out of discord haha. Otherwise I used to check out kursed discord from time to time.

M&M/BT had schisms and Adventure Dogs is the new multi-split top guild. M&M without Remloch is still rolling along. MESS is going strong. Midnight Rations, Kursed, Kith and Kin Spectral Shift are all seemingly doing well. Bloodthirst is there, but they haven’t even cleared the content yet.

Ad Victorem, Sovereign Eternity, Phoenix Ascended, and a bunch more have folded and been absorbed into other guilds.

Mischief may do a number on the server pop. Remloch is starting a new M&M on Mischief, Mabbu’s taking whatever’s left of BT and probably some AD folks for his new guild.

There should be a healthy few guilds left when the dust settles, but everyone’s prognosticating the server going from 7 or 8 decent guilds that clear content in era to around 2-3 within the next several months as we start to hit SoD/UF/HoT.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Decided to log into one of the free servers to get a feel for EQ again. Having a blast fear kiting animals in South Karana on my Druid. Downtime city, but the pacing is kind of nice for texting/cleaning my apartment, etc. Very chill.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

BGrifter posted:

Decided to log into one of the free servers to get a feel for EQ again. Having a blast fear kiting animals in South Karana on my Druid. Downtime city, but the pacing is kind of nice for texting/cleaning my apartment, etc. Very chill.

if you decide to invest some time into this dead old game, druids are nuts on live servers at high level, I don't understand why nobody is whining about how much damage they can crank out while not technically being a dps class

like i'm not sure how exactly they pull it off but I group with a druid that has no problem simultaneously main healing while keeping pace with the rest of the dps in the group but despite this I barely ever see them in the ocean of shadowknights and mages that makes up the bulk of the player base

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

koreban posted:

M&M/BT had schisms and Adventure Dogs is the new multi-split top guild. M&M without Remloch is still rolling along. MESS is going strong. Midnight Rations, Kursed, Kith and Kin Spectral Shift are all seemingly doing well. Bloodthirst is there, but they haven’t even cleared the content yet.

Ad Victorem, Sovereign Eternity, Phoenix Ascended, and a bunch more have folded and been absorbed into other guilds.

I know it wasn’t en masse because we see mangler vict occasionally drop into voice chat for catchups and some are still trickling in but a chunk of ad vict’s player base moved on to Aradune. I had no experience on mangler but that mabbuu guild bank drama still comes up from time to time.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

blatman posted:

if you decide to invest some time into this dead old game, druids are nuts on live servers at high level, I don't understand why nobody is whining about how much damage they can crank out while not technically being a dps class

like i'm not sure how exactly they pull it off but I group with a druid that has no problem simultaneously main healing while keeping pace with the rest of the dps in the group but despite this I barely ever see them in the ocean of shadowknights and mages that makes up the bulk of the player base

That sounds wild to me as someone who played a Druid from Kunark to just before Omens of War. It’s hard to imagine a world where Druids are a top class. Most of the time I played involved getting passed over constantly for a Cleric or Shaman.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

BGrifter posted:

That sounds wild to me as someone who played a Druid from Kunark to just before Omens of War. It’s hard to imagine a world where Druids are a top class. Most of the time I played involved getting passed over constantly for a Cleric or Shaman.

DPS thing is pretty wild, but you shouldn't have been getting passed over once PoP hit; obviously every group makeup is different but I also ran a druid from kunark->TBS and main healed every group I was ever in once PoP hit and we got actual heals.

I guess it was helpful to be raid geared and (generally) healing our 1-4 tanks, but even then I healed PUGs and our paladin when we leveled/geared him up. Druids brought/bring a lot to the table other than ports but you definitely have to be more active than mashing the heal button that's for sure.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah, things got much better by the time PoP came around. In hindsight most my problems in that era stemmed from being a Druid main in a raiding guild run by three Monks with a corrupt DKP system.

Had a blast quadding in HoH, single kiting PoFire tables, and at least getting to see all the content even if I wasn’t getting any elemental molds till they were on rot.

Even if it means a rough start I’m all in on another Druid main. :hellyeah:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Oh yeah that sucks, our guild was run pretty fairly; we generally gave some big pieces to our top 2-3 tanks first (RZ sword is the first one that comes to mind but I know there were others) so that raiding was easier, but otherwise straight DKP. Folks would often pass on items (provided you were paying your fair share of DKP) if you were getting a big upgrade for the slot and stuff like that.

Often myself and another druid of ours would be top 5 in healers for fights and I can't even count how many times I narrowly landed a heal that saved the raid, picked up kite duty on a thing because a ranger/bard died or had to pull the bigbad back into the tank spot after the MT ate poo poo.

I mean, we did have dead weight in raids, like the one tank that couldn't speak English (not necessarily an issue since it was a euro guild but the common language was English other folks spoke German and could relay stuff to him though), would taunt and flip bosses onto the DPS etc etc but no one was unfairly treated/screwed out of loot; that tank was just the last guy in the line of tanks we would choose to do a thing; hell I dual boxed a paladin and would often be picked to tank a thing before him lol.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yiggy posted:

I know it wasn’t en masse because we see mangler vict occasionally drop into voice chat for catchups and some are still trickling in but a chunk of ad vict’s player base moved on to Aradune. I had no experience on mangler but that mabbuu guild bank drama still comes up from time to time.

Well, that’s one way to spin it.

Ad Vict “won” the DoN race and had Vish down first, and 3 weeks later couldn’t field a raid force on a raid night.

I realize that Dee and Rhat went to Aradune, but that was them escaping the negative consequences and reputation they had garnered on Mangler and trying to start over with a core group, while leaving the majority of their players who were invested in their characters to rot.

What they did was a sliver’s difference from what Mabbu did. At least Mabbu left the guilds in tact when he ripped and ran.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

BGrifter posted:

Yeah, things got much better by the time PoP came around. In hindsight most my problems in that era stemmed from being a Druid main in a raiding guild run by three Monks with a corrupt DKP system.

Even if it means a rough start I’m all in on another Druid main. :hellyeah:

As a serial Druid main-er, PoP is a low point for the class. And it really doesn’t do a ton for itself until you get Reptile in DoDh, and Moonshadow in PoR. That’s where the class really starts to come into its own.

Before then you’re super versatile, and you *can* be clutch in a ton of situations, but there’s that historical bias perspective. There was that one time where a clutch charm saved the raid or your blast heal hit at just the right time, but there were months where you put in a ton of effort to just get above Billy the chain CH cleric in Anguish-era raids.

I hated needing to spend against monks to get in era gear so I could be viable as a group healer or maybe even a dps, which you could when you were BiS, versus other priests that brought that extra utility that groups would always prefer over whatever you could bring.

Druid as a box in my crew is fantastic tho. Having reptile and debuff hotkeys on demand, and being able to use it for dps when I need it less for backup healing is great. Never regret adding one to my box crew.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

blatman posted:

Most players are trash, for druids this is particularly bad because the class doesn't just do one thing. Before you can perform well, you have to figure out what role to perform. Making that call correctly is another skill test that preempts all the others, and punishes the player rather harshly for making the wrong call. A lot of druids make the mistake of just focusing on healing, turning themselves into a lovely cleric in leather. But that's missing out on half the class's spells and skills. After the dot revamp, druids became legit damage dealers. The other roi druids and I could put up top 10 dps numbers in favorable events while keeping our groups of idiot casters alive. Exp groups were similar, especially if we're grouped with a knight tank that doesn't need as much babying.

If you want some strategy, I can go over my exp group routine from when I quit. Keep up black wolf and nuke aura, roll cooldowns to keep some sort of amplification going as much as possible and not waste damage potential by either stacking too hard, or letting abilities go unused. Twincasting Remotes is great, I'd usually pair my twincast clickie with those. Judge the kill speed of the group and slap dots on adds to get some ticks of damage on non-MA targets (gently caress mez). If you have a good SK tank and lots of pulls, slam some AEs in there, too.

First string healing goes to the quick cast options, Survival, Rejuv, Remote, and the AA heals that you should blow at the first sign you'll need them(the AA heals suck, but can give you a little breathing room). Like use SOTW at the first sign of a big pull, then follow with group heal or Rejuv based on who's taking damage. Front load your healing so you can stabilize the situation. Then use that time to assess damage intake to figure out if follow up heals are needed, or if it's safe to break off for damage. Dead mobs do 0 damage, so factor that into your mental healing vs damage intake calculations. Most of the time, tanks are taking a pretty consistent amount of damage, so you just need to work in heals at a roughly predictable rate. Like 1/3 spells need to be a heal, or maybe 4/5 for a hard fight, or 1/10 for easy trash. Both your healing and damage spell gems and rotations will change based on this. If you only get 1 spell per a mob, it better be good. While if your SK buddy is a beast and only need a safety heal every 3 minutes, you get to go nuts on dps and only keep enough heals to save his rear end when something goes really wrong.

A lot of it is the same stuff that applies to playing any modern EQ class at the top end. Know your spell weave orders, use multibinds, mix in the right AAs between spells, and keep your situational awareness.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The thing is Cleric and Shaman are core classes that can wield huge power with like 1-2 buttons. Slow is broken, CHeal is broken, Epic rez click is broken. Nearly the entire early raid game revolves around these mechanics.

Druids just are not on this level at all PoP and earlier. They have 'neat' spells not game breaking spells. I think the designers probably saw them as a hybrid and giving them actual power equivalent to other priests wasn't in the vision. Just look at Shaman, Cleric and Druid AAs from Luclin for an idea of what I mean.

e: almost forgot: add torpor + cannibalize to the 'this shits broken' list. It feels like it somehow breaks the rules of the game being able to recover mana that quickly.

Solarin fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 18, 2021

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

koreban posted:

Well, that’s one way to spin it.

Ad Vict “won” the DoN race and had Vish down first, and 3 weeks later couldn’t field a raid force on a raid night.

I realize that Dee and Rhat went to Aradune, but that was them escaping the negative consequences and reputation they had garnered on Mangler and trying to start over with a core group, while leaving the majority of their players who were invested in their characters to rot.

What they did was a sliver’s difference from what Mabbu did. At least Mabbu left the guilds in tact when he ripped and ran.

Not really disputing any of that, I wasn’t there so I don’t know ya know? I gather that there was friction with other leadership and no interest with a large faction of the guild in playing with that personality. If there is a toxic dynamic in guild I don’t see why anyone is obligated to stay “just for the kids”/the raid force. Like, we still have walkouts on aradune. We lost a huge sliver of raid force to TEB including a split leader, and if they’re happier I can’t really criticize them ya know? That split leader wasn’t obligated to put in time for us.

But like I said. I didn’t play on mangler so I don’t really have any ground to dispute anything.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 18, 2021

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
It was Dee. Rhat got covid and took a backseat. There was another officer who skipped to Adventure Dogs when they started their come up, but it was because Dee is an unhinged maniac and was putting off everyone. The other officer left and everyone was going to be left with Dee trying to lead and said “no way”. So they folded up, left, and told everyone who didn’t want to restart “good luck.”

I was out well before that, but the writing was on the wall already.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Oh if I had a nickel for every neck beard who just didn’t like the way D said something I could buy all my tailoring mats. There is a certain type of gamer that really acts weird when they hear lady voices so I guess that adds some perspective. You’ll see people go off on her for asks waaaay less abrasive then others on leadership team. Just an observation.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yiggy posted:

Oh if I had a nickel for every neck beard who just didn’t like the way D said something I could buy all my tailoring mats. There is a certain type of gamer that really acts weird when they hear lady voices so I guess that adds some perspective. You’ll see people go off on her for asks waaaay less abrasive then others on leadership team. Just an observation.

Nah, it wasn’t that. I don’t have any issues with women in leadership roles in a guild. Maybe she had experienced a pile of that before I was around, but she was a manic paranoid while I was there. She would spend entire raids casting no spells on her necro and letting groups her cleric was in die without casting a single heal, and then rail on people for their casting parses. She’d pipe up halfway through a raid and start countermanding the raid caller’s calls. She hand picked a group of people by for her split and it was a very clear A-team and B-team dynamic that was really off-putting to the guild overall.

Maybe she’s chilled out, or Rhat’s back and she’s not doing the central leader thing anymore and it’s better, but it was a well understood not-secret on Mangler near the end of AV’s tenure that she was core to the issues they were having.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I tried playing on Aradune before the queue issues drove me away after a couple months, that was the first time I've played since around 2005. Figured I'd give it a try again, since Mischief seems like a neat idea and I didn't really get the full nostalgia fix I was trying for last time.

It turns out my habit of never throwing out old PC hardware has resulted in me having enough stuff to truebox six characters, I only had to purchase one copy of windows 10 and some number pads:

Any suggestions on party composition? I like the idea of playing a Bard as a main, and I've got a somewhat unique requirement that I need to be able to AFK at a moment's notice for 30-60 minutes at a time (thus wanting to box so I don't inconvenience other players) so I figured the bard invis song and Wizard evacs/ports were invaluable.

I'm thinking:
Bard (Main)
Tank (SK?)
Cleric
Wizard
Mage
Mage (to be subbed out for my friend's shaman when we're playing together)

My initial tank plan was an ogre SK, just because everyone says they're the best to start out, but I am also considering a dwarf warrior or paladin. Do any of the tanks require less active attention to do their job half decently? Given Mischief's FV loot system, I was also wondering if the less-played tank gear will be any less expensive.
I'd also considered replacing the bard with an enchanter, but I'm not going to be charming, given the need for fast AFKs. Seems like bard is more generally useful if you're not charming?

Also, any opinions on mixing good and evil races for classic/first two expansions? Assuming using a shadow knight, I could go Human/Ogre/Dark Elves (or perhaps just Human/Dark Elves and live with frontal bashes?), but even human bards seem to have issues in most of the evil towns (was primarily thinking things like the fort in the Overthere) without the dark elf mask. Could also do Half Elf/Ogre/Dwarf/Gnomes, which would let me re-live my old leveling path of hunting mostly in Faydwer, but then I'll have to sneak the ogre everywhere and he starts a good ways from everyone else.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

BabelFish posted:

I'm thinking:
Bard (Main)
Tank (SK?)
Cleric
Wizard
Mage

My initial tank plan was an ogre SK, just because everyone says they're the best to start out, but I am also considering a dwarf warrior or paladin. Do any of the tanks require less active attention to do their job half decently? Given Mischief's FV loot system, I was also wondering if the less-played tank gear will be any less expensive.
I'd also considered replacing the bard with an enchanter, but I'm not going to be charming, given the need for fast AFKs. Seems like bard is more generally useful if you're not charming?

SK is the lowest maintenance box tank, due to hate boosting buffs, innate tap procs, and easy hate generation. They also play well with any of the priests. Plus they have the best afk button, FD.

A (human?) agnostic bard can go almost anywhere with illusions and faction song. About the only place you might have problems might be neriak 3rd gate, and even then you can probably ninja around with invis and sneak to use vendors. I don't think faction is THAT important if you have a whole box crew to work with. You can easily use only the bard for town/bank runs in hostile territory for the few months that faction matters before expansions become neutral faction. Or use your wizard to visit gfay or gypsie vendors.

If you were on live, I'd say go with druid in your caster group of death. But all those class synergy abilities are like 15 expansions away, so cleric is perfectly fine for the better heals and hp buffs.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Seconding Jetzor’s recommendation. SK is a great initial tank for a box crew. Highly recommend a cleric and shaman to go with. Bard rounds out that crew really nicely. For dps, I like either going with casters like mage/wizard, or melee like monk/ranger.

Bards can pick locks and subvert the need for rogues almost entirely. It sucks, but them’s the facts.

Druid is a great pickup later on when the synergies and spells come in and can replace virtually any of the dps classes listed and you’ll still do fine.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

BabelFish posted:

I tried playing on Aradune before the queue issues drove me away after a couple months, that was the first time I've played since around 2005. Figured I'd give it a try again, since Mischief seems like a neat idea and I didn't really get the full nostalgia fix I was trying for last time.

It turns out my habit of never throwing out old PC hardware has resulted in me having enough stuff to truebox six characters, I only had to purchase one copy of windows 10 and some number pads:

Any suggestions on party composition? I like the idea of playing a Bard as a main, and I've got a somewhat unique requirement that I need to be able to AFK at a moment's notice for 30-60 minutes at a time (thus wanting to box so I don't inconvenience other players) so I figured the bard invis song and Wizard evacs/ports were invaluable.

I'm thinking:
Bard (Main)
Tank (SK?)
Cleric
Wizard
Mage

Also, any opinions on mixing good and evil races for classic/first two expansions? Assuming using a shadow knight, I could go Human/Ogre/Dark Elves (or perhaps just Human/Dark Elves and live with frontal bashes?), but even human bards seem to have issues in most of the evil towns (was primarily thinking things like the fort in the Overthere) without the dark elf mask. Could also do Half Elf/Ogre/Dwarf/Gnomes, which would let me re-live my old leveling path of hunting mostly in Faydwer, but then I'll have to sneak the ogre everywhere and he starts a good ways from everyone else.

I'm going to 2nd/3rd replacing your 2nd mage with a shaman. Slow is just really really good to have.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

koreban posted:

Bards can pick locks and subvert the need for rogues almost entirely. It sucks, but them’s the facts.

My favorite lockpick was the duck key. :rip:

One of the newer raids had a ledge area overlooking the main arena, where rooted adds would spawn and cast down on the raid. The raid had some complicated and buggy mechanic to get up on that ledge. I think the idea was to damage some flying adds, they'd fall to the ground and players could ride them like mounts up to the ledge. Like most other complex scripts in EQ, it tried its best, but wasn't up to the task of working with a raid going on nearby. So the mounts would usually do something like depop, freeze, die, or sit on the ground.

In the static version of the zone, you could run up to that ledge area without a problem. But in the raid version, there was a huge rock in the way, meaning it wasn't part of the base zone geometry. During one of our learning session rebuff and rest breaks, I explored that rock a bit by jamming myself against it while spamming duck, jump, and blink until I popped through. From there it was a quick 'hey guys, I got a much better way to clear up top', to showing a mage how to walk through rocks, to starting the raid with a full group call of hero'd up there to clear the adds.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Enchanter provides a ridiculous level of control to a group that nobody else can, plus tash, slows, and you are caster heavy so you gain a lot from not relying on clarity potions. You might value the safety that added control gives you.

I'd say make the enchanter in place of a mage and keep the bard if that's what you intend to main. I think with that group comp about 80% of your focus will be on the SK and the rest can be reduced to a assist and cast macro for basic grinding.

If you stick with the game into Velious and Luclin I'd suggest shifting to a melee dps oriented group. Especially on a server where you can easily buy prior raid tier weapons for boxes.

Solarin fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 19, 2021

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Thanks for all the suggestions!

milkman dad posted:

I'm going to 2nd/3rd replacing your 2nd mage with a shaman. Slow is just really really good to have.

I had considered it, but a friend I intend to play with regularly wants to play shaman, and boxing the class he's interested in seems like a bit of a dick move.

Solarin posted:

Enchanter provides a ridiculous level of control to a group that nobody else can, plus tash, slows, and you are caster heavy so you gain a lot from not relying on clarity potions. You might value the safety that added control gives you.
Having both clarity and bard mana song would be neat, but it's worth the DPS loss replacing a mage even if I don't intend to charm? I'll probably be regularly replacing one of the mages with the previously mentioned shaman friend, would he be replacing the ench then? SK/Bard/Cleric/Wizard/Shaman/Ench seems like it would kill very slowly (though to be granted the group would probably never die)

Solarin posted:

If you stick with the game into Velious and Luclin I'd suggest shifting to a melee dps oriented group. Especially on a server where you can easily buy prior raid tier weapons for boxes.

koreban posted:

or melee like monk/ranger.
I'm not super wedded to the mages (or to the wizard past evac and ports, he might end up a druid at some point), I've just not 6-boxed before and it seemed like they (and the wizard) would be relatively easy to build a couple social macros for and then forget about them. I'm considering swapping in rangers for the mages once we get a couple expansions in and they can use their bows more, but I imagine positioning melee is a lot of work when you're moving 3-4 characters around every pull. Is there a trick to it?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

So far I've done Monk/Bard and Warrior/Bard as my main duo on Mangler and Aradune respectively. Might go caster-heavy this time, maybe finally give necro or enchanter a try. Already played a fair bit of wizard and mage as alts on Aradune, even getting the mage epic after stumbling upon some of the harder parts like the pegi cloak.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

BabelFish posted:

…but I imagine positioning melee is a lot of work when you're moving 3-4 characters around every pull. Is there a trick to it?

Several.

First and foremost, use the right click/movement to strafe when moving, and circle strafe your tank around the mob to position your melee.

Here’s the deal about caster vs melee boxes: you’re going to take a lot of push as a tank. If you are comfortable detaching your dps and pulling into your range so they aren’t affected by your tank getting drifted by mob push all over, you’ll be fine. However if you intend to dungeon crawl or want the mobility, melee boxes are mostly fire and forget, especially when you’re not bound to a backstab hotkey for 50% of it. Bard, ranger, monk, all good choices. They all have kicks or dragon punch or whatever they can activate for damage, but it’s a minor portion up until 61 when you can autoskill it.

I’d still take a shaman even if your buddy is into it. Let him have priority on the good stuff and ask him to kick you down with his leftovers. It’ll work out well. Plus you’ll have access to those spells and when he joins you he can either mix it up and dps or take your shamans spot in your crew for some XP or AAs and you don’t lose core functionality you come to count on.

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01

ist fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 3, 2023

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

How does multi-boxing work exactly? Are you using some software to do commands to all the characters?

I have a crappy laptop that could run EQ. Dual-boxing might be doable but kinda seems like a pain to do. What's the trick here?

Also how does krono farming work? I haven't played live EQ in 20 years. I played p1999 for awhile though. You just buy them for plat from other people?

Malaria fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 19, 2021

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Malaria posted:

How does multi-boxing work exactly? Are you using some software to do commands to all the characters?

Also how does krono farming work? You just buy them for plat from other people?

Boxing ranges from simple true box with multiple computers to fully automated characters. The limited assistance programs can "broadcast" commands to a specific character (e.g. tell box2 to /follow). The fully automated characters will follow some set of rules to follow (e.g. healer box2 is set to auto-heal anyone < 75% health). The server specific rules will determine what is allowed.

Some boxing setups will show multiple characters on one monitor. It works similar to a TV "picture in picture" where the extra characters appear as a small tile.

Players will exchange krono for either platinum or items. The farmers generally want krono for subscriptions or to sell for RL money. It is the default currency for all big transactions. (e.g. golden efreeti boots will sell for 1krono or the current krono market rate in platinum.) Some whales may even drop 12+ krono for some stupid raid drop.

Krono sounds scary coming from p99, but it's not that bad. You don't need to use them if you don't want to.

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01

ist fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 3, 2023

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
For non-truebox servers (like if you wanted to play on Test) then you can use ISBoxer, which is kind of high learning curve, but lets you run lots of EQ instances on one computer. My ~6 year old computer at this point had no problem running 5 boxes. You can set it up so you have one large window and 4 little mini-windows so you can see everything at a glance if one of your followers gets caught on geometry.

ISBoxer does cost ~15 bucks for 3 months as I recall.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
i do monk/bard on Aradune and positioning my bard is braindead easy by strafing her into position. I'd suggest monk to anyone doing a box crew, they're broken dps wise for several expansions, and once you get your epic you're swinging around 23/26 fists (23/27 if leezard) and that holds up into planes of power and keeps you on top of the charts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I wonder how much avatar proc weapons will go for on the new servers considering how braindead easy it is to farm them.