Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

it's pretty cool that my father in law who we definitely thought was going to die for at least a week when he got covid is running around telling people that having covid isnt that bad

motherfucker i called you every day. you were a hard fart away from dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
For the record almost none of the arm pain from the injection is from the needle or the muscle fibers parting, as it is such a small needle injection in terms of contents and the needle used. It's pretty much all from your tissue responding to the vaccine itself

Guy Axlerod posted:

I mean it's just a thing you can get a PDF and print on card stock, and hand write your name on.

Mine has little stickers with writing on them for each dose, so at least there is the pretense of originality. I assume/hope there is a database somewhere as well. I do think they should've made a bigger deal about that, make people able to prove they are vaccinated and unvaccinated people unable to do so so that businesses and the government and whoever else can actually tell the difference.

We've required vaccines for many things for a long long time and saying that won't be the case here, there will be no vaccine passports and unvaxxed people are free to do whatever they want is a mistake I think. Unvaxxed people should be made unable to fly, to begin with, and unable to leave the country. Put some pressure on them to get them to do it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ben shapino posted:

let the unvaxxed get covid and die, who cares

Extremely effective vaccines don't have an appreciable number of breakthrough cases if the people that have them are rarely exposed. They will continue to have an appreciable number of breakthrough cases if the people that have them are exposed on a regular basis from the 2/3 of the country that is not vaccinated.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Thoguh posted:

Extremely effective vaccines don't have an appreciable number of breakthrough cases if the people that have them are rarely exposed. They will continue to have an appreciable number of breakthrough cases if the people that have them are exposed on a regular basis from the 2/3 of the country that is not vaccinated.

God works in mysterious ways man

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Vaccines could have ended the pandemic in the US but that's just not going to happen in this reality. What's your next suggestion?

Ventilation. :black101:

quote:

[...] Li hopes that acknowledging this history [...] will allow good ventilation to emerge as a central pillar of public health policy [...]

[...] Marr reviewed blueprints and HVAC schematics with the owner of her gym, calculating the ventilation rates and consulting on a redesign that moved workout stations outside and near doors that were kept permanently open. To date, no one has caught Covid at the gym. [...]

Great (and huge) long-form article from Wired on the CDC's awkward guidance.

Article: The 60-Year-Old Scientific Screwup That Helped Covid Kill
Byline: All pandemic long, scientists brawled over how the virus spreads. Droplets! No, aerosols! At the heart of the fight was a teensy error with huge consequences.

Summary excerpts:

quote:

Marr is an aerosol scientist at Virginia Tech and one of the few in the world who also studies infectious diseases. To her, the new coronavirus looked as if it could hang in the air, infecting anyone who breathed in enough of it. For people indoors, that posed a considerable risk. But the WHO didn’t seem to have caught on. Just days before, the organization had tweeted “FACT: #COVID19 is NOT airborne.” That’s why Marr was skipping her usual morning workout to join 35 other aerosol scientists. They were trying to warn the WHO it was making a big mistake.

quote:

... after Wells died [in 1963], scientists inside the CDC conflated his observations. They plucked the size of the particle that transmits tuberculosis out of context, making 5 microns stand in for a general definition of airborne spread. Wells’ 100-micron threshold got left behind. “You can see that the idea of what is respirable, what stays airborne, and what is infectious are all being flattened into this 5-micron phenomenon,” Randall says. Over time, through blind repetition, the error sank deeper into the medical canon. The CDC did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

quote:

ON FRIDAY, APRIL 30, the WHO quietly updated a page on its website. In a section on how the coronavirus gets transmitted, the text now states that the virus can spread via aerosols as well as larger droplets. As Zeynep Tufekci noted in The New York Times, perhaps the biggest news of the pandemic passed with no news conference, no big declaration. If you weren’t paying attention, it was easy to miss.

But Marr was paying attention. She couldn’t help but note the timing. She, Li, and two other aerosol scientists had just published an editorial in The BMJ, a top medical journal, entitled “Covid-19 Has Redefined Airborne Transmission.” For once, she hadn’t had to beg; the journal’s editors came to her. And her team had finally posted their paper on the origins of the 5-micron error to a public preprint server.

In early May, the CDC made similar changes to its Covid-19 guidance, now placing the inhalation of aerosols at the top of its list of how the disease spreads. Again though, no news conference, no press release. [...]

As a fan of good ventilation, this blew my mind.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I haven't been keeping up with exactly how available vaccines are lately since I got mine last month, but I went to the grocery store today and there was a sign saying COVID vaccines were there available now. Like a drat flu shot. It's still crazy to me how fast this ramped up.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

AndrewP posted:

I haven't been keeping up with exactly how available vaccines are lately since I got mine last month, but I went to the grocery store today and there was a sign saying COVID vaccines were there available now. Like a drat flu shot. It's still crazy to me how fast this ramped up.

Yeah, I felt kind of relieved that I got my appointment last month and then when I got there they had the signs up saying they were available to walk-ups. Amazing sure, but I could have saved myself some stress.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

AndrewP posted:

Sadly in the US I think this has more to do with how fast demand has ramped down. I doubt the production is actually there to put us at 60-70% yet. We'd all be still watching twitter bots or driving out to the country to get vaccinated if demand still existed.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

It really boggles the mind how many people in the state's seem to remain unvaccinated due to a sort of lazy inertia rather than any deeply held anti-vax beliefs.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
We should be careful to distinguish vaccination rates among the eligible vs the population at general. Ages 12-15 just recently opened up, and kids still aren't eligible, while the 30-40% numbers nationwide are for the whole population. Whole population numbers are useful for talking about herd immunity and progress in general, but it's not like 60-70% of the pop has simply said "no thanks". I'm in northeast US, where demand has been robust, and the vaccine is available for walk-in appointments at Walmart. I think supply is winning. Many parts of the country do have low vax rates, but other parts are doing well in the rollout.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Saros posted:

It really boggles the mind how many people in the state's seem to remain unvaccinated due to a sort of lazy inertia rather than any deeply held anti-vax beliefs.

Commonly I've heard "I can't miss 3 days of work/taking care of my kids dealing with side effects."

There's plenty who say they'll get around to it eventually, but I wonder how many of those are waiting for a time they feel able to be off their feet with side effects.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

killer crane posted:

Commonly I've heard "I can't miss 3 days of work/taking care of my kids dealing with side effects."

There's plenty who say they'll get around to it eventually, but I wonder how many of those are waiting for a time they feel able to be off their feet with side effects.

Yeah this too.

Like not all states have the COVID sick time stuff (they should).

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

stellers bae dont make posts theyre gross when you make em

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

The Saucer Hovers posted:

stellers bae dont make posts theyre gross when you make em

enjoy living in your hovel while vaccinated people live their lives again

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

hahaha ewwww its like a bug or something gross

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The last thread got shut down because of people sniping at each other and getting stupid as poo poo. Gonna suggest we stop that right now.

Either share some information that's interesting, or a personal story, or reasonable debate that doesn't turn into name-calling or whatever.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Choirs are worse than anything else including wind instruments according to what I've read. Woodwinds like a clarinet or saxophone actually put out air at a very slow rate (in terms of velocity) compared to the puffs of speaking loudly or singing.

The possible worst culprit might be flutes, because you blow fast air straight out into the room, but I don't know if it's been compared to singing specifically.

After playing a woodwind or flute for a bit, the inside is damp and nasty as hell. Which means it is catching at least some of your droplets. Meanwhile the choir is just showering everything in front of them in those same droplets. So the band is probably a little less bad than the choir. Still bad tho.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

AndrewP posted:

I also want to remind everyone here high-fiving each other that the US is currently a special case on getting the vaccination programs up and running to the point where the concern is shifting towards reluctant people not getting one.

I am still waiting my first shot, it should happen within two months, and I live in one of the countries in the EU that has had very good progress so far (we are about reach 50% on the first for the adult population) and still all summer events are cancelled, the government is starting to roll back on leniency because it does not work, and because the increased number of vaccinations available hasn't materialized as promised by the suppliers.

Surprisingly, focusing only on the older people does nothing when the largest groups exposed are the people who still actually have to work for living to pay the house payments, and the children's hobbies. The exact groups which are now just about to start getting vaccinated; I think in general the country is vaccinating 45+, which is still to groups ahead of me.

So in short, we opened 1 month early, and are getting another Summer of "sit at home alone". Also benching all J&J, not to mention the AZ shenanigans, hasn't helped us.

And we are, outside US, still one of the best scenarios and situations, when considering everyone else on the globe.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uruguay/

Continuing with Mexico’s low vaccination rates + low covid cases, here’s Uruguay with the opposite:
probably the highest vaccination rate in Latin America (66% with a dose) but also rising cases ? :confused:

Basically same hot environment… variants don’t really respect borders, so wtf

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

A Fancy Hat posted:

The last thread got shut down because of people sniping at each other and getting stupid as poo poo. Gonna suggest we stop that right now.

Either share some information that's interesting, or a personal story, or reasonable debate that doesn't turn into name-calling or whatever.

I'll share a personal story of sniping at people in the real world!

I'm at home depot with my (obviously) pregnant wife and very few people have masks. The guy behind us in checkout leans over to me all smug going "you know you don't have to wear those, right? Do you watch the news?"

Turns out leaning closer to let him know I work with covid patients everyday at the hospital on the critical care floor got him to back up real quick, continually backing up as I kept moving closer to him asking why he's so worried.

Highly recommended even if you're lying about where you work.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Continuing with Mexico’s low vaccination rates + low covid cases, here’s Uruguay with the opposite:
probably the highest vaccination rate in Latin America (66% with a dose) but also rising cases ? :confused:

Where do you see Uruguay having 66% with 1 dose? A quick search says they are at only 39% receiving 1 dose. Another big factor may be how many of those are Sinovac as that vaccine is notably less effective.

Another factor to consider with Uruguay is that they didn't start seeing significant cases until earlier this year. So they wouldn't have many people with natural immunity running around, contrast this to the united states where we likely had anywhere from 30 to 90 million past infections(depending on how good you think testing coverage was) when vaccination really took off in earnest earlier this year. So the number of people they'd need to vaccinate to start seeing any slowdown or reach herd immunity would be far greater.

Edit: I'd like to add that I don't love comparing different countries when it comes to covid statistics. It's not even that perfect between states, it just seems like it adds a whole new layer of variables to consider regarding data accuracy between countries. Different countries all have different degrees of difficulty in collecting and reporting data. It's also harder to standardize what counts for cases and deaths. That's not even considering that some countries may be less honest than others for all kinds of reasons.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 17, 2021

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

You're looking at number of doses per 100 people, which is not the same as percent vaccinated (because many vaccines require two doses). Current Uruguay vaccination rates are 39% first dose, 27% fully vaccinated (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/world/covid-vaccinations-tracker.html).

e;fb.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

wilderthanmild posted:

Where do you see Uruguay having 66% with 1 dose? A quick search says they are at only 39% receiving 1 dose. Another big factor may be how many of those are Sinovac as that vaccine is notably less effective.

Another factor to consider with Uruguay is that they didn't start seeing significant cases until earlier this year. So they wouldn't have many people with natural immunity running around, contrast this to the united states where we likely had anywhere from 30 to 90 million past infections(depending on how good you think testing coverage was) when vaccination really took off in earnest earlier this year. So the number of people they'd need to vaccinate to start seeing any slowdown or reach herd immunity would be far greater.

Edit: I'd like to add that I don't love comparing different countries when it comes to covid statistics. It's not even that perfect between states, it just seems like it adds a whole new layer of variables to consider regarding data accuracy between countries. Different countries all have different degrees of difficulty in collecting and reporting data. It's also harder to standardize what counts for cases and deaths. That's not even considering that some countries may be less honest than others for all kinds of reasons.

Yeah, don't blindly trust any data that comes from LatAm countries. There's no secret mystery of why some countries are so low in numbers. In the case of my dear Mexico, we are having elections in a couple of months so lots of políticians are making sure the numbers seem low so they can freely go on their public campaings.

Morena (the current president's party) also wants to win the teacher's unions hence they got vaccinated asap and are opening schools too early.

A big example is Campeche, a state that since the start of the pandemic would constantly claim to have zero cases, open up everything and then eventually close down when the real numbers started to show, then repeat.

By the way they were news last week about how they were considering to close down Cancún, as poo poo was getting out of control. But hotel and restaurants unions don't want to.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Over 62% of the US population are completely unvaxxed as of right now
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

But this says 47.3% are at least partially vaxxed. :confused:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I went to walmart today with my service dog in training. A man with a mask covering his forehead almost scootered over his tail. It was our fault, because I'm working on teaching my big bud some tail awareness stuff, but I laughed when I saw a grown rear end man a year+ into the pandemic with a fuckin blue surgical mask on his forehead.

He's protecting his third eye and he's a powerful tarot reader, I guess.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

wa27 posted:

But this says 47.3% are at least partially vaxxed. :confused:

they took the fully vaxxed # and subtracted from 100, whoops

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

You might be overseeing that it's Fall (going into Winter) in the southern hemisphere. It's not warm at all in Uruguay right now.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Freezer posted:

You might be overseeing that it's Fall (going into Winter) in the southern hemisphere. It's not warm at all in Uruguay right now.

I went to check and Montevideo is currently at 15°C, while my very hot southern Mexican city is at 35°C....39°C tomorrow :toot: . (Mexico city at 26°C).

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

wilderthanmild posted:

I used the CNN thing, says 66 doses per 100 people

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2021/health/global-covid-vaccinations/

Sinovac is also being used in Mexico

I know it’s kind of a mess to compare numbers between countries that are arguably not even reporting things correctly

I’m about ready for this thing to be over

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Ah yea, doses per 100 people is a pretty poor metric when people need 2 doses to be fully vaccinated. It's a weird metric that really just tells you how many doses they've given out relative to population rather than what percentage have gotten any does. The "race to get fully vaccinated" section has more useful numbers.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

wilderthanmild posted:

Ah yea, doses per 100 people is a pretty poor metric when people need 2 doses to be fully vaccinated. It's a weird metric that really just tells you how many doses they've given out relative to population rather than what percentage have gotten any does. The "race to get fully vaccinated" section has more useful numbers.
there were over 8 million j&j vaccines administered. but i agree with you that it's a poor metric. we need to know fully vaxx'd, partially vaxx'd and unvaxx'd.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Green Nail Polish posted:

This isn't true at all. The vaccines greatly reduce the chance that you will contract Covid-19, and if you do get it, they even more greatly reduce the chance that you will get sick, and they even more MORE greatly reduce the chance you will be hospitalized.

Please don't spread misinformation.

I will grant that there is a semantic argument about what it means to "get" covid

But your vaccine doesn't stop covid viruses from getting into your system and starting to do their thing. It just makes it much, much easier for your immune system to stop it

In most cases, it makes it so the virus can't take hold enough to give you noticeable symptoms or to create enough viral load to infect others

This isn't misinformation, it's just what vaccines are

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1394411179011944452?s=20

wallahi very soon we will be back to normal 🙏

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Vorik posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1394411179011944452?s=20

wallahi very soon we will be back to normal 🙏

are they saying since march 2020? because according to NYT there were 26 deaths on St Patrick's Day 2020.

E: And we're over 300 today alone.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

it says weekly

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

are they saying since march 2020? because according to NYT there were 26 deaths on St Patrick's Day 2020.

E: And we're over 300 today alone.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailytrendscases

As of yesterday the US 7 day rolling average was 545 COVID deaths per day. That's the lowest it's been since the end of March 2020. Last year March 31st's rolling average was 457 per day and April 1st's was 552.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inept posted:

they took the fully vaxxed # and subtracted from 100, whoops

Naw I fatfingered my post and mistyped :sweatdrop:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

gohuskies posted:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailytrendscases

As of yesterday the US 7 day rolling average was 545 COVID deaths per day. That's the lowest it's been since the end of March 2020. Last year March 31st's rolling average was 457 per day and April 1st's was 552.

Ah, okay. I got you.

I'm glad the numbers are down for that metric for sure.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hey, if there are any 40-49 year old NSW goons in this thread you can get vaxxed right now with Pfizer. My husband and I registered our interest yesterday and got an invite today to book an appointment and we're going to the vax hub at Olympic Park next week.

Register here https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/vaccine/Pages/community.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

butt dickus posted:

there were over 8 million j&j vaccines administered. but i agree with you that it's a poor metric. we need to know fully vaxx'd, partially vaxx'd and unvaxx'd.

We have no idea how many people are fully or partially vaxxed in Australia or the exact number of vaxxed/unvaxxed people because only a few states are reporting 1st/2nd vaxxes, the rest are just reporting total doses
https://www.smh.com.au/national/australia-s-daily-covid-19-vaccine-rollout-progress-revealed-20210420-p57ks7.html

It's all a big mystery!