Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Filboid Studge posted:

I need a sense check on this one.

Jewish Voice for Labour posted on Twitter about that incident that it was threatening to Jewish people, no help to Palestinians, and criminal.
Then they posted “There is some suggestion this may be a fake, produced to damage the Palestine solidarity movement. If so that is even more despicable than the behaviour shown. If it's real our comment stands”.

Inevitably this caused a backlash, with various people saying that JVL was making the claim that it was a fake or false flag, which they clearly did not say.

I (stupidly) felt the need to defend them, because they were being falsely accused of making a claim. What they said was, to me, reasonable- at the time nobody knew who was behind it, so a bit of looking before leaping seemed warranted.

That led to a minor left-wing (and non-Jewish...) journalist I’ve followed for years going apeshit at me, saying that what I’d said was equivalent to Holocaust denial and blaming rape victims for having been raped.

Disproportionate, or was I being a monster?
Non-jews painting left-wing jews as antisemitic is an absolutely disgusting slur imo, it's utterly beyond me how these people can pretend they're the good guys

You did right

e: ffs I keep getting snipes despite being terrible at it, here's a compilation of capybaras being chill friends with other animals & people. I particular like the spider monkey, he was obviously trying to be a dick but that capy's just like "hell yeah I'll be your friend come chill with me & have a cwtch" and the monkey's just "yeah ok wait what"

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Even if it's not intended as an anti Semitic caricature it looks like one as is probably an anti Arab caricature, and doing a speech next to any sort of racist caricature is generally not a great idea.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Why not just not do inflatable caricatures in general?

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Borrovan posted:

Non-jews painting left-wing jews as antisemitic is an absolutely disgusting slur imo, it's utterly beyond me how these people can pretend they're the good guys

You did right

e: ffs I keep getting snipes despite being terrible at it, here's a compilation of capybaras being chill friends with other animals & people. I particular like the spider monkey, he was obviously trying to be a dick but that capy's just like "hell yeah I'll be your friend come chill with me & have a cwtch" and the monkey's just "yeah ok wait what"

Thanks man, it just shook me a bit- I’m usually thrilled to boil piss but because this was coming from someone whose perspective I’d previously respected, I did start to wonder if 18 months in the house along with my extremely strong feelings about Gaza were sending me Dark Side.

More judgments in either direction welcome.

PS I may get in touch again re IWW Cymru- getting by with a young family under Covid ate my capacity to do anything more...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jiggerypokery posted:

Why not just not do inflatable caricatures in general?
But then we wouldn't have had this

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guavanaut posted:

But then we wouldn't have had this

Let's just say inflatable caricatures should only be of cis white/orange men.

stev fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 17, 2021

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Bardeh posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with these people's brains?

https://twitter.com/emmacpicken/status/1394242763999301632

I'm pretty sure emma picken is one of the weirdo gnasher-aligned 'anti-racist' lot who I honestly think must be being paid by Israel because they declare anything short of absolute unconditional support for the state evidence of pro-holocaust sentiment

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 17, 2021

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

:golfclap:

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm pretty sure emma picken is one of the weirdo gnasher-aligned 'anti-racist' lot who I honestly think must be being paid by Israel because they declare anything short of absolute unconditional support for the state evidence of pro-holocaust sentiment

LAAS rather than Gnasher, LAAS aren’t Jewish. One LAAS member was responsible for the majority of complaints about antisemitism to the Labour Party under Corbyn, most of which were about random anon Twitter users...

Filboid Studge fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 17, 2021

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Filboid Studge posted:

LAAS aren’t Jewish
Pretty sure Gnasher isn't either

(seem to remember that coming out a couple of years back, icr who it is)

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Borrovan posted:

Pretty sure Gnasher isn't either

(seem to remember that coming out a couple of years back, icr who it is)

D*vid C*llier, allegedly, who is, but that doesn’t excuse his behaviour or his palling around with the far right

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think the antisemitic horseradish was the point I realised there was literally nothing you could do about bad faith tabloid consent manufacturing against Corbyn, how about you?

Is The Antisemitic Horseradish a sequel to The Racist Tree?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

QINE

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

That very funny poll which shows Bristol West going Green would also see Yvette Cooper and Rosie Duffield losing their seats.

Unfortunately Zarah Sultana would also be booted out, along with Jon Trickett, Ian Lavery and Ed Miliband.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/blogs/ec_mrppoll_20210517.html

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The lesson you should learn is that this poo poo can happen anywhere, at any time, the moment you start viewing any group as less deserving of basic rights. It's one of the few times that the slippery slope argument is absolutely 100% true - the moment you start legislating that one group is inferior to another it's a really short, and extremely steep, path to genocide.
It's a great point but unfortunately if you try making it people are going to just reply with "oh, but you see [insert GRT racial slur] are actually dangerous criminals though" and at no point will they be able to concieve that this opinion is precisely the problem.

But no, they're all evil because someone from Darren's sister's dogging club had their shed broken into when them were around so it must be them and they should travel somewhere else if they are going to call themselves travellers eh?

Also how the dogshit people who go on about travellers all being thieves are either daily mail readers cheating on their taxes, or sun readers who will happily sell you a telly in the car park of a flat roofed pub.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

sebzilla posted:

That very funny poll which shows Bristol West going Green would also see Yvette Cooper and Rosie Duffield losing their seats.

Unfortunately Zarah Sultana would also be booted out, along with Jon Trickett, Ian Lavery and Ed Miliband.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/blogs/ec_mrppoll_20210517.html

Bristol West is absolutely going Green next election

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is an excellent point and one I've had bitter arguments about with people both left and right. So much writing about the Holocaust and genocide in general is based on the idea that either there was a unique cruelty on the part of the group carrying out the atrocities or that some once-in-a-lifetime charismatic leader hypnotised otherwise lovely people into murdering their neighbours.

The lesson you should learn is that this poo poo can happen anywhere, at any time, the moment you start viewing any group as less deserving of basic rights. It's one of the few times that the slippery slope argument is absolutely 100% true - the moment you start legislating that one group is inferior to another it's a really short, and extremely steep, path to genocide.

Someone smarter than me called it; 'the banality of evil'... just go with the flow and let society give you the thumbs up as you enable the worst that humanity has to offer.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Filboid Studge posted:

LAAS rather than Gnasher, LAAS aren’t Jewish. One LAAS member was responsible for the majority of complaints about antisemitism to the Labour Party under Corbyn, most of which were about random anon Twitter users...

I thought that was Margaret Hodge?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

So uh, I got an email this evening.

Thought "Oh yeah, what's this? Maybe something about I/P?"...

And, well, sort of:

Whelp lmao

(Note: Yes, I am still a member of the Labour party. No, I do not want to be, I am just very very disorganised and need to get it together to do some phone or online banking and cancel the payments, which is a pain in the arse now I'm in Canada).

Can't you just call them up and cut off your payments for membership at the source?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Dabir posted:

No it was Euan Phillips. Not Jewish, flooded the complaints system about random people on twitter, liking tweets by Michael Moore calling Trump a racist, people who called him a kitten nonce etc.

Coincidently each of these complaints had to be investigated and allowed people to leak stories about a massive upswing in antisemitism complaints and how Labour are dragging their feet. Of course the people who were to investigate were also just not doing their jobs while leaking to the press and eventually got a massive cash settlement for absolutely loving everything up.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

stev posted:

It's definitely not a great idea when people know that any perceived or imagined antisemitism will be splashed on every front page though.

Past the point of caring what cynical, insincere liberals call antisemitic. I'll always oppose all antisemitism, and all flavours of racism, but there's nothing to be gained from acting like people like Dan Hodges & that Emma woman are worth acknowledging.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Can't you just call them up and cut off your payments for membership at the source?

Some UK banks now won't allow logins from abroad. So it might be a case of a transatlantic phone call hanging on for hours costing £00s.
(I just hung on for half an hour to get through to a bank here to activate the dongle I need for my new job on an 0345 number).

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Dabir posted:

Narp, bloke called Euan Phillips.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Euan, Trevor, Jess. I'm not a namist, but what is it about Phillipses?

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Filboid Studge posted:

Narp, bloke called Euan Phillips.

The real fun part is that he disproportionately targeted Jewish people with his complaints, ho ho ho

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
iirc euan phillips is an actual oddball. Genuinely a very strange, deeply unpleasant man who should probably earnestly consider therapy. I can imagine he even believes his own bullshit.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

I’m still a bit out of sorts after my run-in earlier. I wouldn’t have minded if it wasn’t studs-up insane from someone I mostly respected.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of batshit insane accusations of antisemitism:

:lmao: at the Trump bit.
So you can't even go on a public platform and tell "lies" now without people calling you a "liar" these days, because of the internet.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

So you can't even go on a public platform and tell "lies" now without people calling you a "liar" these days, because of the internet.

Twitter may be a cesspit, but I did enjoy seeing the actor Evan Handler, who played Alan Dershowitz in The People v OJ Simpson, dunking on the actual Dershowitz for being terrible.

Before Twitter, how could you see actors having a go at people they'd played, eh? You'd have to go round to their respective houses, in some kind of posse.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Ah yes, Alan “my ‘I had nothing to do with the death of my first wife’ T-shirt, etc...” Dershowitz

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alan "I am definitely not a nonce I just defend them" dershowitz oh no how will bernie's reputation survive such harsh criticism.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Alan "I am definitely not a nonce I just defend them" dershowitz oh no how will bernie's reputation survive such harsh criticism.

“and regularly flew Nonce Air to Nonce Island for my hols”

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are two things dershowitz knows, jeffrey epstein did nothing wrong and if you think a famous man killed his wife, he definitely didn't.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

sebzilla posted:

LOL not again

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Darth Walrus posted:

Incidentally, this video is much more fun than the description suggests:

https://twitter.com/steinjock/status/1393685707080802306?s=21

Fash very thoroughly bashed.

Ah, remember TinTower?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Anyone else noticed the texture of monster munch lately? they turned them into space raiders :argh:

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Borrovan posted:

Anyone else noticed the texture of monster munch lately? they turned them into space raiders :argh:

Yeah, I picked this up a few months ago. It’s not on all of them, but some batches have gone smooth rather than crumbly.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Let’s post more tweets with sectarianism in them it’s fun.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bring Corbyn back, clock starts now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Borrovan posted:

after watching snackmasters i know you can buy an extruder from aliexpress for £200 and make all the munch you want out of cornmeal and whatever depraved flavours you can concoct

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 17, 2021