Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sekhmnet posted:

He was a naked blue weirdo in the mmorpg 'star wars galaxies' for a long time, just chillin naked on a hill next to a building; that game folded in 2011.
You can't say that and not drop some context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I was overjoyed when Bumberbatch said he didnt want to play Thrawn. A better high than any drug.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Arquinsiel posted:

You can't say that and not drop some context.

They had him in as a NPC before there were any quests or anything; likely an accidental placeholder that wasn't supposed to be visible to the end user. They must not have designed his clothes yet. If I remember right, the Mara Jade character was nearby and Thrawn was probably a part of whatever quest line they had planed for that but I quit playing before they implemented/fixed that stuff.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
He looked more like the Emeril alien from Futurama than Thrawn

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Marsupial Ape posted:

He’s basically been Winter Soldier-ed. Brain zapper and all.

Speaking of, I'm glad they pretty immediately established that it's not his fault and he's being made to act against his will instead of the weird "he has to be punished/arrested for his actions" approach of the Winter Solider which makes literally zero sense in a universe where mind control is possible.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Radio! posted:

Speaking of, I'm glad they pretty immediately established that it's not his fault and he's being made to act against his will instead of the weird "he has to be punished/arrested for his actions" approach of the Winter Solider which makes literally zero sense in a universe where mind control is possible.
As much as I like how they're handling it, I kind of think they missed a trick by not having one of the hyper-individualist clones go "actually I am fine with this new order. Burn the children".

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, he didn't really think Tarkin's rule by "we'll kill you if you don't obey" isn't effective in the long run, and tried to get the Empire to move more to having an regular military that can conduct symmetrical warfare. Hence the Tie-D, but that didn't fit with Palpatine's end goal so it wasn't happening. Why Thrawn coming back is scary, he could forge the remnant into something truly effective.

There's another reason Thrawn coming back is scary, though this is drawn from Zahn's books set in the Disney canon. Thrawn doesn't really love the Emperor or the Empire. He sees it as a potential ally/lesser evil compared to the really scary/nasty poo poo in the Unknown Regions. So, sure, it's scary that Thrawn might be coming back to bring the Imperial Remnant together. But it's scarier to think that he's instead coming back to try to help an unprepared, war-weary, extremely complacent New Republic deal with whatever space-born nightmare from the Unknown Regions is coming to eat them.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Everyone posted:

There's another reason Thrawn coming back is scary, though this is drawn from Zahn's books set in the Disney canon. Thrawn doesn't really love the Emperor or the Empire. He sees it as a potential ally/lesser evil compared to the really scary/nasty poo poo in the Unknown Regions. So, sure, it's scary that Thrawn might be coming back to bring the Imperial Remnant together. But it's scarier to think that he's instead coming back to try to help an unprepared, war-weary, extremely complacent New Republic deal with whatever space-born nightmare from the Unknown Regions is coming to eat them.

I can't see disney taking up the Yuuzhan Vong from the EU and the Vagaari don't seem like much of a threat. What other threats in the outer rim/unknown regions have been brought up?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
In Disney canon Thrawn is concerned about the Grysk.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Sekhmnet posted:

I can't see disney taking up the Yuuzhan Vong from the EU and the Vagaari don't seem like much of a threat. What other threats in the outer rim/unknown regions have been brought up?

A new one call the Grysk which has the power of....blackmail

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

In Disney canon Thrawn is concerned about the Grysk.

quote:

The Grysks would enslave the minds and souls of beings, having twisted their desires, fears, memories, and hopes to their will, to be their "clients."

Sounds like they work in marketing :suicide:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

quote:

The Chiss Grand Admiral Thrawn of the Galactic Empire believed, when compensating for the bias of artists on their art about the Grysk, that the stories of vast hordes of the Grysk were not accurate. Rather, he believed it was more likely that the Grysk used unfamiliar tactics and weapons to defeat their opponents. Thrawn also did not believe the myth that the Grysk were nomadic, as most species that begin on planetary worlds do not easily surrender them and because their starships, as depicted in art pieces, strongly demonstrated a preference for sun, sky, and soil, rather than the vast darkness of space.

God, I hate Thrown.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Davros1 posted:

God, I hate Thrown.

Well he doesn’t like you either, Davros.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

thrawn527 posted:

Well he doesn’t like you either, Davros.

Not for nothing, but I'd kind of like to see a crossover with Thrawn meeting The Doctor and watching the two trying to out smug genius each other.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sekhmnet posted:

I was really hoping episode X or next trilogy, whichever Disney chooses to do, would involve Thrawn and the Yuuzhan Dong Vong.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Anita Dickinme posted:

I was really hoping episode X or next trilogy, whichever Disney chooses to do, would involve Thrawn and the Yuuzhan Dong Vong.

Leaving aside Palpatine and his fleet of Penised Star Destroyers, the First Order was basically an up-jumped terrorist group who managed to take out the New Republic. Compared to the NR of the EU books, the Disney NR isn't even a paper tiger. It's a toilet paper tiger.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/KinerMusic/status/1393692186240163840

I hope they're happy tears

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
crunch is bad

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I just pretend that Thrawn really likes art and makes all sorts of observations, then finds a way to shoehorn them in to tactical and strategic assessments he's already made. All a parlor trick to cultivate a mystique.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Sash! posted:

I just pretend that Thrawn really likes art and makes all sorts of observations, then finds a way to shoehorn them in to tactical and strategic assessments he's already made. All a parlor trick to cultivate a mystique.

Yeah, I always took the art thing as less 'understanding this cultures art gives me the ability to predict their tactics for reasons' and more 'I'm an observant, good at logical and deductive reasoning, and more importantly actually capable of my changing preconceived notions'

IE: Thrawn isn't magically better than all other Imperial Officers because he can do weird racial identity art critiques; he's better than them because he's actually curious about the universe and learning and applying what he's learned.

He leans on The Art thing to not only make him seem special and valuable to his superiors, but also less threatening to other Imperial Officers since 'He's a super genius and I don't get art' isn't as ego bruising as 'I'm an unobservant rube who is bad at my job'

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If you read the Thrawn books it goes into detail about him specifically learning everything about a culture through their art and even teaches his protege the same.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Everyone posted:

Leaving aside Palpatine and his fleet of Penised Star Destroyers, the First Order was basically an up-jumped terrorist group who managed to take out the New Republic. Compared to the NR of the EU books, the Disney NR isn't even a paper tiger. It's a toilet paper tiger.

Just fast forward to the EU Galactic Alliance

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Anita Dickinme posted:

If you read the Thrawn books it goes into detail about him specifically learning everything about a culture through their art and even teaches his protege the same.
This is why they should have kept Zahn on a tight leash this time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The art thing is textbook "the problem with writing a super genius is you can't write a character smarter than yourself". Know your limits, writer.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I figured the reason the art thing made Thrawn smarter at this stuff was that to understand art you actually have to study cultural context and stuff so he was smarter just because he'd actually read a book that wasnt written and provided by the empire telling you how to be an imperial meat-robot. He was curious, observant, and able to look at things from different perspectives, which seems beyond most imperial characters.

I do like the idea that hes just a huge nerd so he figures stuff out the normal way then backtracks it into the art explanations so that he can ramble about his special interest to whatever idiot ends up in his office when he feels like talking about his collection

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Thrawn dies because he never considers that the race of hyper suspicious commando-spy-assassins will ever stop to ask what he's putting into their soil.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bismuth posted:

I figured the reason the art thing made Thrawn smarter at this stuff was that to understand art you actually have to study cultural context and stuff so he was smarter just because he'd actually read a book that wasnt written and provided by the empire telling you how to be an imperial meat-robot. He was curious, observant, and able to look at things from different perspectives, which seems beyond most imperial characters.
Yeah that's pretty much how Rebels handles it, especially in his scene with Hera and Slavin on Rhyloth.

It's also clear that he genuinely likes art but also treats works as trophies.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 18, 2021

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Writing Thrawn as essentially a profiler, but for cultures rather than individuals, isn't a problem in itself--the trouble lies more in the tendency to get carried away with the standard main character superpower of "I am going to make deductions based on zero evidence which will always turn out to be correct." Thrawn's bullshit bothers me a lot less than, say, all of the Honor Harrington books.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Star Wars Explained had a video today about how Thrawn differs from the books and in Rebels, and he basically suggested that maybe Thrawn became corrupted as he rose higher and higher in the Empire's command structure. Needing to prove yourself with more and more atrocities to someone like Palpatine can corrode someones soul even if they had good intentions.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Alchenar posted:

Thrawn dies because he never considers that the race of hyper suspicious commando-spy-assassins will ever stop to ask what he's putting into their soil.

Zahn got so caught up in writing his supergenius, undefeatable, secretly noble and moral OC that he forgot that Thrawn had to actually lose at the end.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Does he? DOES HE?

Maybe he just scratched off Imperial on his business cards and wrote New Republic on them.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Thrawn lost because he forgot there was a Galaxy outside of the art-producing humanoid cultures he profiled, and he got abducted by space whales.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Madurai posted:

Writing Thrawn as essentially a profiler, but for cultures rather than individuals, isn't a problem in itself--the trouble lies more in the tendency to get carried away with the standard main character superpower of "I am going to make deductions based on zero evidence which will always turn out to be correct." Thrawn's bullshit bothers me a lot less than, say, all of the Honor Harrington books.
The problem is that's basically WWII-era just-so story racism. The Chrysanthemum and the Sword by Ruth Benedict was used this sort of broad-strokes cultural "profiling" to explain why Japan was bad and the USA was morally good and pure.

In 1948.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah that's pretty much how Rebels handles it, especially in his scene with Hera and Slavin on Rhyloth.

It's also clear that he genuinely likes art but also treats works as trophies.

I loved that episode because it's one of the only times we see Thrawn get genuinely lose control angry at somebody.

Plus we now all know what Slavin's "I just shat my pants!" face looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfTy_nvdkSQ

One of the more interesting things about Thrawn is that he's an alien who became a Grand Admiral in the Empire. That's like a black guy somehow joining and becoming a Grand Dragon in the KKK. It's amazing (and kind of appalling) but think about how much bigoted poo poo he had to deal with along the way.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 18, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Isn’t the Empire’s speciesism only a Legends thing now? I don’t think it survived until the new canon, but I also haven’t read all the new Thrawn novels.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's back in the first Thrawn novel IIRC.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I mean they don't go around saying gently caress NON HUMANS but have you ever seen a non-human Imperial besides Thrawn?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cage Kicker posted:

I mean they don't go around saying gently caress NON HUMANS but have you ever seen a non-human Imperial besides Thrawn?

Mas Amedda?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Thrawn barely even counts, Chiss are just variant humans that broke off and adapted to a weird environment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Isn’t the Empire’s speciesism only a Legends thing now? I don’t think it survived until the new canon, but I also haven’t read all the new Thrawn novels.

Depends what medium you are looking at and how much Disney are trying to sell you a videogame, but it is very much right there in the original trilogy. The rebellion is diverse in skin colour, gender, and where costume budgets allow, species. The Empire is exclusively white men with English accents.