Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If a company is pushing you to accept while you're waiting for other interviews then do so and bail if a later place has a better offer. Unless you're in a very niche area the bridges you potentially burn by doing this are inconsequential and you should do what's best for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

silvergoose posted:

You can also say you've got other interviews lined up, but $xx will make you cancel them and sign the offer today.

this is what i usually do and it also usually works

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

im in the brief liminal space of having an offer but not accepted yet and by allah's grace himself it turned into the weekend as all that went down

currently playing doom eternal and enjoying this brief ephemeral period
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33ptulhhQPg

god bless, allah ackbar

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
nice

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

KoRMaK posted:

im in the brief liminal space of having an offer but not accepted yet and by allah's grace himself it turned into the weekend as all that went down

currently playing doom eternal and enjoying this brief ephemeral period
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33ptulhhQPg

god bless, allah ackbar

bismillah

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

asur posted:

If a company is pushing you to accept while you're waiting for other interviews then do so and bail if a later place has a better offer. Unless you're in a very niche area the bridges you potentially burn by doing this are inconsequential and you should do what's best for you.

This often does burn the bridge, especially at a smaller company, so avoid being a dick when possible. If you wonder why companies dont send rejection emails to potential candidates, or go radio silent for 3+ weeks and then contact you later. Someone agreed to start and then bailed. That's at will employment though, cuts both ways.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
OK, I'm going to do it, this week if at all possible. I'm going to ask for a pay adjustment to bring me into line with market rates. I have a bunch of strong arguments here, and I (may have) just solved another serious retention risk with a top performing employee so now is a good time to strike. I have several strong reasons why it's past due, but I still have the uphill battle of turning a bunch of data into a persuasive argument. The argument needs to be good, because it's a considerable (>50%) raise I'm asking for, if viewed in the wrong light.

And yes, I'm trying to interview elsewhere at the same time, both to confirm my market value and as an oh-poo poo option if they say no or decide the company doesn't need me as much as I think the company does.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Cheekio posted:

OK, I'm going to do it, this week if at all possible. I'm going to ask for a pay adjustment to bring me into line with market rates. I have a bunch of strong arguments here, and I (may have) just solved another serious retention risk with a top performing employee so now is a good time to strike. I have several strong reasons why it's past due, but I still have the uphill battle of turning a bunch of data into a persuasive argument. The argument needs to be good, because it's a considerable (>50%) raise I'm asking for, if viewed in the wrong light.

And yes, I'm trying to interview elsewhere at the same time, both to confirm my market value and as an oh-poo poo option if they say no or decide the company doesn't need me as much as I think the company does.

good luck, but don't beat your head against the wall too much on this, because your persuasion's effectiveness might have a ceiling. lots of check-signers have brainworms that make them treat "nobody is worth a 50% raise" as a foundational compensation axiom rather than something that can be argued against.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
get nujob ask for money you wanted

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Cheekio posted:

I recommend pitching it as a title-change. Lots of companies will respond to "give me more money" with "we can't, based on your job title". And once you get that first "No", it's a harder battle.

Say something like "I feel like I'm performing at a senior engineer level, and that I provide a lot of value to the company. I'd like talk about a title change, to make sure sure I'm being compensated accordingly."

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

get nujob ask for money you wanted

also this is a good plan B.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Not a bad idea angling it based on title. They were smart to give the the title first and what was a nice raise at the time, but I'm still way under market for what I do.

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
Place I just got off a phone screen where they let it slip that their physical security and security training is mostly to prevent disgruntled former employees from being let back into the building and surviving active shooter scenarios.

That uhhh sounds like a huge red flag about the leadership. Especially for computer touching at a toy company.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

It might just mean they have young managers. Anyone 27 or younger in the US has been doing active shooter training since preschool, haven't they?

Another point comes to mind- I've got a bit of imposter syndrome with the new title. Any advice for switching companies when you feel like you might not really own the role you're switching into?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Bossy posted:

It might just mean they have young managers. Anyone 27 or younger in the US has been doing active shooter training since preschool, haven't they?

Another point comes to mind- I've got a bit of imposter syndrome with the new title. Any advice for switching companies when you feel like you might not really own the role you're switching into?

if you don't feel like that it means that you're not pushing yourself to learn new things

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i just got off a call with a recruiter who gave me a salary range then added a number almost 50% higher saying they wouldnt be able to pay that. so i guess that means the real range is the low end of what they told me and the upper limit is right below said big number...

barkbell fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 17, 2021

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Bossy posted:

If you feel like you're the smartest one in the room then you're not going to grow

The other impostor syndrome thing that goes hand in hand with this is taking a new job with a huge pay bump. Don't let you convince yourself that the bigger check comes with a requirement to overwork yourself because of the pay, you just do what you're used to doing and now you're not being underpaid for it

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009

Bossy posted:

I'm more concerned about what management is doing that keeps pissing employees off to where they are considered threats.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

barkbell posted:

i just got off a call with a recruiter who gave me a salary range then added a number almost 50% higher saying they wouldnt be able to pay that. so i guess that means the real range is the low end of what they told me and the upper limit is right below said big number...

Meaning they said: "We'd like to offer you 100k. We'd never offer $150k though, that number would be too high"?

If that's what they said, I'd ask for 2/3 of the difference (133k in my example above).

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Poopernickel posted:

Meaning they said: "We'd like to offer you 100k. We'd never offer $150k though, that number would be too high"?

If that's what they said, I'd ask for 2/3 of the difference (133k in my example above).

ya thats basically what i was thinking once i go through the process

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

KonMari DeathMetal posted:

I'm more concerned about what management is doing that keeps pissing employees off to where they are considered threats.

I'm trying to be optimistic, if disgruntled employees are a common enough problem that security is worried about them coming back / coming back in force, it's a red flag.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

gently caress I said a number to the CTO and they excitedly got off the call, I should have said a bigger number.

Tbh it would be a 180% salary increase over my current sooooo I think I did good and didn't get too greedy... But drat I should have said 5k more

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
Jesus dude congrats

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

KoRMaK posted:

gently caress I said a number to the CTO and they excitedly got off the call, I should have said a bigger number.

Tbh it would be a 180% salary increase over my current sooooo I think I did good and didn't get too greedy... But drat I should have said 5k more

yowza :holymoley:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

KoRMaK posted:

shoulda shut the gently caress up and asked for 30k above what they said and be happy w 20k above

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

Congrats. 5k is a lot but don't forget to spend your +80% before you worry about it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

shoulda shut the gently caress up and asked for 30k above what they said and be happy w 20k above
I really really wanted to but I think this honestly would have killed the deal, they said that they're not in the space to compete with Google or Apple and they won't, so it kind of set the stage that if I went too high there was a real possibility of them saying "nice meeting you, Good luck" and I honestly didn't want that to happen because this is more money than I ever thought that I'd see

Bossy posted:

Congrats. 5k is a lot but don't forget to spend your +80% before you worry about it.
When I said the same thing to my buddy he said "lol shut up and just take the win"

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

raminasi posted:

if you don't feel like that it means that you're not pushing yourself to learn new things

I feel that so hard right now.

E: this too

kitten smoothie posted:

If you feel like you're the smartest one in the room then you're not going to grow

The other impostor syndrome thing that goes hand in hand with this is taking a new job with a huge pay bump. Don't let you convince yourself that the bigger check comes with a requirement to overwork yourself because of the pay, you just do what you're used to doing and now you're not being underpaid for it

But on the other hand I'm kinda like well hell.. if this is what I gotta do for this job, lol you got a deal and I need a raise.

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 19, 2021

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Sellin that personal number waaaay too cheap

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Selling that basic plan way too fucken cheap.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

KoRMaK posted:

I really really wanted to but I think this honestly would have killed the deal, they said that they're not in the space to compete with Google or Apple and they won't, so it kind of set the stage that if I went too high there was a real possibility of them saying "nice meeting you, Good luck" and I honestly didn't want that to happen because this is more money than I ever thought that I'd see

When I said the same thing to my buddy he said "lol shut up and just take the win"

ima tell you a magic fact about business: theyre allowed to lie

i know, programmers like to think that lying doesnt exist and is certainly not allowed in the hallowed halls of business. this is bullshit, theyre allowed to lie lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

This thread is much better when it's people posting their W's and not libertarians posting their bootstrap myths.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

quote:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I signed the offer and am happy, I'd appreciate it if the shut the gently caress up post stop getting quoted at me cuz finding a job is hard enough without also being told you hosed up so many times over and over and over

Anyway, shout-out to all the supportive posters in this thread

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

Congratulations on the new job, and enjoy the nice pay bump!

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
"we'll have word for you after memorial day weekend!"

fffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

congrats kormak!

also don't worry about not min-maxing everything. it's nice to plau it a bit safer sometimes. not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good and all

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
in all eventuality, over the course of a career of doin or not doin this, the delta will be like a house worth of money

maybe like, a house in sf worth of money. thats why im yellin at you anyways. next time i guess

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Be thankful, you'll know better next time