Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Sab0921 posted:

They will watch it only if you have something bad happen like a spectacular crash.

So every amateur crit then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

vikingstrike posted:

Follow cam friday is actually very good.

sounds like the answer is a 360º camera on a pole above and behind you!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I put my gopro on for my track racing on Friday and can confirm the footage is boring as gently caress.

But we have actual non-bike-mounted video so I can just make my wife watch that instead.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

TobinHatesYou posted:

So every amateur crit then.

I'm too new to cycling to know what this phrase means - but I'll go with "yes" as my answer.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

bicievino posted:

Yo, one thing you should know about hitch racks:
If your car has that poo poo where if you're about to back up over a kid it beeps like gently caress and then auto brakes, heads up that reversing with a hitch on is going to make it freak the gently caress out.
It's almost bad enough that I wish I'd gone with a roof rack.

I just got a car with this stuff and while the hitch rack itself doesn’t set it off, putting bikes on it will make it go insane. Luckily you can turn it off from the backup screen.

Also whoever mentioned the uhaul install, it’s significantly cheaper to just do that and skip the wiring harness but uhaul may need to cut your bumper cover. I went with the dealer install over uhaul because of that.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sab0921 posted:

I'm too new to cycling to know what this phrase means - but I'll go with "yes" as my answer.

Crit = criterium, picture a motorsport circuit race ala formula 1 but on bikes. Generally it's carnage because people overestimate their own bike handling abilities.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The Mercedes F1 team did in fact end up having a massive group accident a few years back, management and engineers went out cycling in a big pack (presumably the words “team building exercise” was used) and almost immediately had a big pile up which ended up breaking the boss Toto Wolff’s (real name, sounds exactly like Arnold Schwarzenegger) arm in several places and nearly resulted in a full on cycling ban for the whole team.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Toto is unironically my hero.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

gently caress... I’d be too embarrassed to ever ride with that group of friends again after nearly killing 3 of them.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
Regarding hitch receivers and wiring harnesses, if you're even slightly handy i think you can save decent money compared to UHaul's prices if you use etrailer's videos as instruction guides and order from them. I've installed multiple curt and draw-tite hitch receivers and wiring harnesses using their products and video tutorials for my vehicles and friends' cars and overall it's all been pretty easy and most worked out solo installs (but i have not done this on a vehicle that involved any bumper cutting).

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I bought a bike a couple weeks ago and went on my first group ride Saturday with the bike shop. It was the beginner group, 6 of us total including a bike shop employee, and only 1 of us had been with the group before so all newbies. The route was advertised as 20 miles/13-15mph average which I thought was no big deal since I had done 20 miles/avg 14mph before last week around a big lake nearby. Well, the first half was all down hill into the wind and the second half was mostly flat and spikes of uphill. I ended up falling way behind on this monster hill at around 16 miles and I just died. I walked my bike up like the last 30% of the hill on the sidewalk. The bike shop employee eventually rolled back to check up on me and get me back to the group after we hit the top of the hill and even pointed out a spot he threw up on when he first hit this hill years ago. I felt embarrassed for keeping the group waiting and at that point I was incredibly lightheaded and didn't think I'd make it the rest of the way. I called my fiance to pick me up. I apologized to the group and they were chill and told them I'd be back next Saturday for another attempt.

I had a granola bar, snickers bar, and half a gatorade for breakfast because I was running late and I felt that's what killed me. Also, I'm never sure what gear I should be in so maybe I was going too hard. What do you usually eat night before or breakfast before a long ride? Also, anyone have tips about gearing and hills? I was mostly mirroring what everyone around me was doing and it felt fine. I don't want to be "that guy" that holds back the group and makes a group ride unfun.

I stopped the trip when I started to walk up the hill so you don't even get to see the total incline but god drat it was like a long, steep ride. I definitely want to go again this Saturday. This hill will not defeat me.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
gently caress that, those guys were dicks.

That’s not a beginner ride, that’s a group of people who may be beginners when it comes to group riding, but not riding itself. If it really was a beginner ride you would all have gone round that flat lake the first time out, the more experienced rider would have made sure you all knew what food and drinks to bring, and then built up to that CrossFit nonsense.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

poemdexter posted:

I bought a bike a couple weeks ago and went on my first group ride Saturday with the bike shop. It was the beginner group, 6 of us total including a bike shop employee, and only 1 of us had been with the group before so all newbies. The route was advertised as 20 miles/13-15mph average which I thought was no big deal since I had done 20 miles/avg 14mph before last week around a big lake nearby. Well, the first half was all down hill into the wind and the second half was mostly flat and spikes of uphill. I ended up falling way behind on this monster hill at around 16 miles and I just died. I walked my bike up like the last 30% of the hill on the sidewalk. The bike shop employee eventually rolled back to check up on me and get me back to the group after we hit the top of the hill and even pointed out a spot he threw up on when he first hit this hill years ago. I felt embarrassed for keeping the group waiting and at that point I was incredibly lightheaded and didn't think I'd make it the rest of the way. I called my fiance to pick me up. I apologized to the group and they were chill and told them I'd be back next Saturday for another attempt.

I had a granola bar, snickers bar, and half a gatorade for breakfast because I was running late and I felt that's what killed me. Also, I'm never sure what gear I should be in so maybe I was going too hard. What do you usually eat night before or breakfast before a long ride? Also, anyone have tips about gearing and hills? I was mostly mirroring what everyone around me was doing and it felt fine. I don't want to be "that guy" that holds back the group and makes a group ride unfun.

I stopped the trip when I started to walk up the hill so you don't even get to see the total incline but god drat it was like a long, steep ride. I definitely want to go again this Saturday. This hill will not defeat me.

You're just out of shape. Ride more and the problems will all fix themselves.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

learnincurve posted:

gently caress that, those guys were dicks.

What are you even talking about? There's not even a speed posted, and that's like 100 feet of climbing in 5 miles.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

poemdexter posted:

I'm gonna agree that distance is not a beginner ride, beginner rides are no-drop so you'd have somebody hanging back with you, walking that bike if you need to.

Managing climbs is a skill that everyone has to learn, and the only general newbie advice that I can confidently give is that you want to take it easier than you think at the beginning, and in general riders tend to push too difficult a gear. Climbing up any distance of a hill involves shifting low, spinning, and trying to stay relaxed and avoid over-tiring yourself halfway up like you did that time. If you keep at it and have fun, you'll find out that you keep developing the same basic skills as you get stronger and faster and the hills get longer and steeper.

Edit: Rides under about 1.5-2 hours you don't really have to worry about what you're eating, as long as you don't go into it with a completely empty stomach.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Which one of you is this?

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1394357190325149697

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

resident posted:

You're just out of shape. Ride more and the problems will all fix themselves.

That's what I'm hoping is the case. It's only been a couple weeks and I haven't been active since high school. I used to run long distance/cross-country so I'm familiar with my body screaming at me when I push too hard.

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm gonna agree that distance is not a beginner ride, beginner rides are no-drop so you'd have somebody hanging back with you, walking that bike if you need to.

Managing climbs is a skill that everyone has to learn, and the only general newbie advice that I can confidently give is that you want to take it easier than you think at the beginning, and in general riders tend to push too difficult a gear. Climbing up any distance of a hill involves shifting low, spinning, and trying to stay relaxed and avoid over-tiring yourself halfway up like you did that time. If you keep at it and have fun, you'll find out that you keep developing the same basic skills as you get stronger and faster and the hills get longer and steeper.

Edit: Rides under about 1.5-2 hours you don't really have to worry about what you're eating, as long as you don't go into it with a completely empty stomach.

I did my best to take it easy first half because some of it was the same path we took on the second half and I knew some of those hills would be hard. It felt just about the same as the lake path I took the week before but that hill I died on was something I've never experienced neither on my bike nor when I did cross country in high school.

The ride was no-drop. We had an older guy who ended up bailing after 6 miles or so but he lived nearby so he ended up just riding his bike a block or two home. The bike shop employee was with him the entire time and then rode hard to catch up with us after. We did stop a bunch to keep the group together throughout the ride. The employee was super helpful with explaining the route since we were on streets with traffic. Explained hand signals and how we'd navigate some of the turns together. I assume when the group hit the top of the hill and found a parking lot to stop at, he turned around and came back for me. I definitely didn't feel out of place with the group. I'm happy it was small and educational and excited to give it another shot this weekend.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

poemdexter posted:

I had a granola bar, snickers bar, and half a gatorade for breakfast because I was running late and I felt that's what killed me..

Did you eat anything during the ride? Seems like you hit that climb after maybe an hour or so? If I haven’t been fuelling while riding, that’s about the time I start to feel it.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Climbing up any distance of a hill involves shifting low, spinning, and trying to stay relaxed and avoid over-tiring yourself halfway up like you did that time.

This is good advice and the exact sort of lesson that got me comfortable on hills. Once I internalized the fact that I spent good money on all those gears and have every right to use them, my life got much easier.

That and my favorite cycling pun: don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

weeeeee :geno:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

resident posted:

What are you even talking about? There's not even a speed posted, and that's like 100 feet of climbing in 5 miles.

They shouldn’t have dropped him, the bike shop guy should have been bringing up the rear.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ever take your gravel bike on MTB trails wash out on a banked corner go head first into a tree hit it with your bar spin them 90 degrees and end up basically wrapping your bike around the tree with your thumb wedged in between them so bad you have to let it sit there being stuck for a minute while you figure out how to unfuck the situation?

Thumb and bar tape are a lil scraped up but surprisingly I didn't break anything. At least the scrapes on my thumb will heal, can't say the same for my poor tape :(

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

learnincurve posted:

They shouldn’t have dropped him, the bike shop guy should have been bringing up the rear.

'Regroup at the top of the hill' is literally basic group ride etiquette and it sounds exactly like what was happening here. Everyone climbs at different speeds and frankly its demoralising as poo poo to be killing yourself just to have someone riding next to you barely making an effort.

Like this isn't even remotely controversial. The distance and expected average speeds were posted and they were clearly waiting since they came back to check.

Wind your neck in.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
“Shitload of hills” would not be what I would pick for a group ride with actual beginners on it :shrug:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

learnincurve posted:

“Shitload of hills” would not be what I would pick for a group ride with actual beginners on it :shrug:

[from the graph] 200-300ft elevation gain over 20mi isn't necessarily a lot, but 13-15mph is pretty high for a beginner ride. Some expectation management by the shop might have helped OP get a plan ready for bailout.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

meltie posted:

re: camerachat: no-one is going to watch your cycling videos fyi

You'll gather GBs of footage which will clog up all your free space for months, you'll eventually produce one 17-minute "edit", and your SO will "watch" it once with glazed eyes :sigh:

hard truth

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m trying to make the OP feel less bad because a thing I learned with teaching the mini how to ride this year is that you forget/memory hole how absolutely miserable hills are for a absolute beginner. You go from struggling to go up even the slightest hill, sweating and trying not to cry, to being able to eat it, albeit slowly, with a few weeks of regular riding* - mini still hasn’t worked out how to stand and ride.

*bonus point if it turns out your seat was too low.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

meltie posted:

re: camerachat: no-one is going to watch your cycling videos fyi

You'll gather GBs of footage which will clog up all your free space for months, you'll eventually produce one 17-minute "edit", and your SO will "watch" it once with glazed eyes :sigh:

e.pilot posted:

hard truth

A hard truth that probably saved me a couple hundred dollars. Thanks, thread. :sigh:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I’m having a lot of problems getting the bead set on my gravel king SKs. I put in a tube and pulled it out to set one side but I cannot get the other wall to do it. I tried one of the small co2 cartridges but it didn’t seem to do anything. The bead is nowhere near the rims on the unseated side, it just kind of does whatever it wants. I removed the valve core but it doesn’t seem like that’s helping air flow. Also I’m on a long trip and don’t really have access to a lot

Things I have:

-normal pump without the reservoir tech
-3 Co2 cartridges and the adaptor that I probably did not use correctly
- some other stuff I dunno ask and I might have it.

If the answer is just get to a bike shop I can probably make that work but I’m hoping to avoid it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The commuting thread is currently deep into a conversation for a newbie with how to get new marathon plus tyres on the rim if you want to ask in there as well. :)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933970&pagenumber=29#lastpost

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Just take it to a bike shop, if it's not seating easily you'll spend more in CO2 cartridges than you would at the shop.

learnincurve posted:

The commuting thread is currently deep into a conversation for a newbie with how to get new marathon plus tyres on the rim if you want to ask in there as well. :)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933970&pagenumber=29#lastpost

That's not tubeless, different problem

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 17, 2021

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

learnincurve posted:

I read that thread but nothing in that particular discussion seems super helpful to getting this specific set of very loose tires seated correctly. I can easily reach under them with my finger to touch the other seated wall and it just won’t hold any amount of air I throw at it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

A Jeep trick is to wrap a ratchet strap around the outer circumference of the tire. Tightening that encourages the bead to make contact with the rim where it's supposed to seat. Spraying some soapy water on the interface will help the bead seat a little more nicely.

Failing that, yeah, take it to a shop.

Video, in case my description wasn't clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxwEtqLZhi8

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 17, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Time posted:

I read that thread but nothing in that particular discussion seems super helpful to getting this specific set of very loose tires seated correctly. I can easily reach under them with my finger to touch the other seated wall and it just won’t hold any amount of air I throw at it.

That sounds a bit hosed! could that tyre/rim combo just hate each other? might be worth just using the tube. I had a WTB resolute do the same thing but i had a air bottle and trackstand pump, and loads of time, to force it on.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

hemale in pain posted:

That sounds a bit hosed! could that tyre/rim combo just hate each other? might be worth just using the tube. I had a WTB resolute do the same thing but i had a air bottle and trackstand pump, and loads of time, to force it on.

It was working great until sealant was low (huge self own, just fill it you idiot) and it flatted overnight without me noticing. I went to ride, it was obviously very flat and unseated itself and now I’m having problems getting the bead back in place. Rookie mistakes are taking hold because I’m 1000 miles in and should have taken a day off earlier

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

serious gaylord posted:

'Regroup at the top of the hill' is literally basic group ride etiquette and it sounds exactly like what was happening here. Everyone climbs at different speeds and frankly its demoralising as poo poo to be killing yourself just to have someone riding next to you barely making an effort.

Like this isn't even remotely controversial. The distance and expected average speeds were posted and they were clearly waiting since they came back to check.

Wind your neck in.

Yeah honestly on hills I feel like it's better for people to go their pace and regroup.

Flat stuff? yeah don't drop someone, if you have hills though I think it's better for people to go their pace with the acknowledgement of "this is how long it is, we'll meet up at the top" and then check on them if it seems to be taking awhile

learnincurve posted:

I’m trying to make the OP feel less bad because a thing I learned with teaching the mini how to ride this year is that you forget/memory hole how absolutely miserable hills are for a absolute beginner. You go from struggling to go up even the slightest hill, sweating and trying not to cry, to being able to eat it, albeit slowly, with a few weeks of regular riding* - mini still hasn’t worked out how to stand and ride.

*bonus point if it turns out your seat was too low.

OP doesn't seem to feel that bad, but there is definitely a wide range of what one person might consider a hill versus another person. Like people are saying 200-300ft elevation gain isn't much at all over 20 miles unless it happens all at once and even then that's not much, but for someone just starting out a small hill can still be tough

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

\whoever mentioned the uhaul install, it’s significantly cheaper to just do that and skip the wiring harness but uhaul may need to cut your bumper cover. I went with the dealer install over uhaul because of that.

I bought my car private party and don't have a standing dealer relationship, so I'd have to call around and find one to do it.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by bumper cover and why only uhaul would have to cut it, not the dealership? This model's instructions on e-trailer mention modifying the heat shield, but I assume that's not the same thing.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Time posted:

I’m having a lot of problems getting the bead set on my gravel king SKs. I put in a tube and pulled it out to set one side but I cannot get the other wall to do it. I tried one of the small co2 cartridges but it didn’t seem to do anything. The bead is nowhere near the rims on the unseated side, it just kind of does whatever it wants. I removed the valve core but it doesn’t seem like that’s helping air flow. Also I’m on a long trip and don’t really have access to a lot

Things I have:

-normal pump without the reservoir tech
-3 Co2 cartridges and the adaptor that I probably did not use correctly
- some other stuff I dunno ask and I might have it.

If the answer is just get to a bike shop I can probably make that work but I’m hoping to avoid it.

Time posted:

Ah yeah my MTB with older "tubeless ready" rims does this, it feels like they're so loose they'll never seat. None of the tricks you see like "set it up with a tube first then take it out" or "lever the bead onto the rim bed" work on those rims; the tyre just falls back into the valley.

The trick to getting mine to go is:

• more than one layer of tubeless tape to build up the central valley
• pour in much more sealant than you think is necessary (like 1.5x – 2x the recommendation on the bottle) - glug it straight into the tyre, don't bother feeding it thru the valve
• swill it round so the inside of the tyre and rim are absolutely coated and dripping
• hang the wheel up on something so that the tyre isn't flat against the ground
• kinda poke and hold the tyre into place all the way round, basically just prevent big gaps
• valve core out, pump like absolute gently caress for 30 seconds - you should break a sweat

That'll seat my decade-old baggy rims and tyres. I am told that the tubeless conversion strips from Stans are useful for these old rims, but the main trick for me was being super generous with the sealant.

Use a floor pump or a full canister of CO2, a mini pump will never do it.

Bear in mind that if this tyre and rim won't reseat with CO2 then you might be in serious trouble on the trail if it full flats again. If that's the case, you need to upgrade your rims or carry a spare tube for full-flat emergencies.

Don't let this put people off from tubeless on newer bikes, the newer rim profiles are so much better. I got a set of 2020 WTB rims and they were shockingly easy to set up. No fuss at all, went straight on, no mess, made two "pring" sounds when the beads seated and it was done.

meltie fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 17, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Do you have any sort of strap that's stitched at the end? I'd try using that as a puller, putting the end under the bead of the tire, wedging it a bit tight, and then pulling out to try to shift that part of the bead.

Loose enough to come out but thick enough to get some purchase under the bead.

meltie posted:

• kinda poke and hold the tyre into place all the way round, basically just prevent big gaps
This is what I'd try -- get any combination of ties spaced out around the wheel, at as many points as you can, and use your free hand and feet/knees as strategically as you can, tweaking to cover the biggest air gap at any given moment, until the overall gap is small enough to push the bead. CO2 prob won't last long enough with this experimentation, but a travel pump might not give you enough rate.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

kimbo305 posted:

Do you have any sort of strap that's stitched at the end? I'd try using that as a puller, putting the end under the bead of the tire, wedging it a bit tight, and then pulling out to try to shift that part of the bead.

Loose enough to come out but thick enough to get some purchase under the bead.

Hell yeah this is what I’m talking about