Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They would not lose moderates.

my experience with older, whiter moderate women tells me that this is not true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
- The U.S. is far outpacing the rest of the world in vaccinations, but new vaccinations have fallen over 50% from their peak.
- 59% of U.S. adults have received at least one dose of the vaccine and another 14% say they plan to get it.
- 24% of Americans say they will never get vaccinated.
- 3% of Americans don't know if they want to get vaccinated or not.

- Since August of last year, the percentage of Americans who say they don't want the vaccine has fallen by 9% - much lower than people had hoped.

- The biggest divide over vaccination is partisan - it holds when controlling for age, income, and all other demographics.
- 41% of Republicans say they will never get the vaccine.
- 4% of Democrats say they will never get the vaccine.
- Men are more likely to say they will never get the vaccine than women.

- The second biggest divide is education.
- People with only high-school or less than high school education are more likely to be vaccine hesitant/resistant.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/as-more-americans-get-vaccinated-41-of-republicans-still-refuse-covid-19-shots

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- The U.S. is far outpacing the rest of the world in vaccinations, but new vaccinations have fallen over 50% from their peak.
- 59% of U.S. adults have received at least one dose of the vaccine and another 14% say they plan to get it.

That's more than 50 million adults who are about to have a real bad autumn, again.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hope this is another thing where people's pride makes them unwilling to tell the truth to a pollster, but when they're on their own and don't have to posture, they won't mind getting the vaccine.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

- Since August of last year, the percentage of Americans who say they don't want the vaccine has fallen by 9% - much lower than people had hoped.

- The biggest divide over vaccination is partisan - it holds when controlling for age, income, and all other demographics.
- 41% of Republicans say they will never get the vaccine.
- 4% of Democrats say they will never get the vaccine.
- Men are more likely to say they will never get the vaccine than women.

- The second biggest divide is education.
- People with only high-school or less than high school education are more likely to be vaccine hesitant/resistant.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/as-more-americans-get-vaccinated-41-of-republicans-still-refuse-covid-19-shots

The GOP is a blight on science, medicine, and reason throughout the world

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I seriously wouldn't doubt if AOC leaves Congress if nothing is done about this poo poo head.

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1393209545254653953?s=20

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/lukeobrien/status/1394352669054095361

Doesn't sound like a guy who certainly deleted all relevant evidence off his phone, to me.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Good news: The IRS says that 88% of people eligible for the new child tax credit will get it automatically deposited into their account each month without having to do anything starting July 15th.

The rest will get a paper check, can opt-in online by providing either an address or bank account, or wait until they file their taxes to claim it.

quote:

Child cash benefit will begin hitting millions of parents’ bank accounts July 15

Biden administration estimates 88 percent of all American children are slated to receive new monthly payments -- with no action required

The Biden administration announced Monday that roughly 39 million American families will begin receiving direct cash payments in July under a new child benefit created by Democrats’ coronavirus relief bill.

The Internal Revenue Service will on July 15 start delivering a monthly payment of $300 per child under 6 and $250 per child older than 6 for those who qualify. The monthly benefits will be deposited directly in most families’ bank accounts on the 15th of every month -- or the closest day to that date, if the 15th falls on a holiday or weekend -- for the rest of the year, without any action required. For instance, an eligible family with two children aged 5 and 13 will receive $550 from the IRS directly to their bank accounts on or close to the 15th of every month from July to December.

Biden administration officials estimate that households representing more than 65 million children -- or 88 percent of all U.S. kids nationwide -- will begin receiving the benefit through direct deposit, paper checks, or debit cards. Of that population, roughly 80 percent of that population will be sent the cash directly via direct deposit, administration officials told reporters on a call Sunday. High-income parents will receive a smaller benefit or none at all, depending on how much they make. The credit diminishes for individuals with adjusted gross income of more than $75,000, as well as couples earning more than $150,000.

The new program represents one of the most important Biden domestic policy initiatives and could have significant political consequences as the White House seeks to reshape the U.S. economy. In March, Congressional Democrats approved a $1.9 trillion relief plan that expanded an existing $2,000-per-child benefit, increasing its annual value to $3,600 per child under 6 and to $3,000 for older children. The benefit was also expanded to cover tens of millions of low-income families who were previously too poor to receive it in full. America has had one of the highest child poverty levels among rich nations, something supporters of the expanded benefit hope to change.

In a huge surprise, conservatives who were previously in favor of expanded child credits are now opposed.

(To be fair to those conservatives, none of them supported making it 100% refundable before. So, it isn't a total flip flop.)

quote:

Conservatives have strongly criticized the measure, particularly because it changed the existing program by giving the same amount to parents who do not work as parents who do. Congressional Republicans have said the plan will discourage parents from working. Traditionally, both Democrats and Republicans have resisted giving direct cash benefits to non-working families -- a stance that began to shift during the pandemic, when Congress on a bipartisan basis sent hundreds of billions in stimulus payments.

The expanded credit is estimated to cost approximately $150 billion per year, according to the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, a nonpartisan think-tank.

“Democrats chose simply handing out cash to parents, including ones already on welfare or in households where nobody is working,” Sens. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and Mike Lee (R-Utah) said in a statement last month. “This kind of universal basic income makes more Americans dependent on government and severs the vital elements — work, marriage, community, and beyond — required to raise healthy families.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/05/17/biden-child-tax-benefit/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 17, 2021

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I'm pretty sure I'd be better at raising a child if I didn't have to work too, Rubio and Lee.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/lukeobrien/status/1394352669054095361

Doesn't sound like a guy who certainly deleted all relevant evidence off his phone, to me.

If the rumors are true, Rudy is pretty hard drinking lately as of last year, I doubt he's went criminal mastermind and deleted evidence after the last year of watching Trump lose the election and then not pardon him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1394357102550863876

51-49, hey we're getting somewhere

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The GOP will never willingly allow voting reform. Their only electoral path moving forward is to restrict the vote.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

Sneaking across the Illinois-Missouri border, through the woods, hoping the cops don't catch me with my backpack full of black market condoms

The Underground Gettin' Railed Road

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The few Republicans who want to "move past" Trump are never going to win.

It's actually impressive how thoroughly Trump has taken over the Republican party.

Net approval of free trade among Republicans has dropped 68% compared to 2015.
Net approval for the idea that "American is a country of immigrants and immigration strengthens America" is down 38% compared to 2015.

quote:

Approval of Liz Cheney Removal

Approve: 81%
Disapprove: 19%

Why do you agree with the removal (among those who said they approved)?

She's not on message with the party: 69%
She's wrong about 2020 election: 57%
She didn't support Trump: 54%
Disloyalty needs to be punished: 34%

GOP should follow Trump's example on...

Economic Issues: 89%
Immigration Issues: 88%
Leadership: 81%
Treatment of the Media: 77%

How important is it to you that a Republican candidate support claims of election fraud in the 2020 election?

Very Important: 37%
Somewhat Important: 32%
Not Very Important: 31%

Is it important to you that a Republican candidate be personally loyal to Donald Trump?

Important: 66%
Not Important: 33%

Going forward, what are the most important things GOP candidates and officials should do?

1) Propose important legislation.
2) Defend Donald Trump.
3) Agree with me on economic policy.
4) Agree with me on culture and values.
5) Support claims of election fraud.

Did Joe Biden win the 2020 election?

Yes: 33%
No: 67%

Does the Republican party need to focus on message and popular ideas to win over more voters? Or does it already have enough voters, and therefore need to focus on pushing for changes to the voting rules in states and districts instead?

Get more voters with policies and ideas: 53%
Push for changes to state voting rules: 47%

https://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/watch/most-republicans-don-t-believe-biden-legitimate-2020-winner-cbs-news-yougov-poll-112093765671
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/republicans-liz-cheney-opinion-poll/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 17, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

51-49 is fine as long as they don't filibuster it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Its not getting anywhere because that's not HR1, its Manchin's suggestion of just legislatively reactivating parts of the VRA that the SCOTUS turned off, and also none of it will help all the new anti-voting laws passed since Nov. 2020.

I have to hope this is part of the Manchin Cycle where he's basically tricked Murkowski into giving him the cover he'll need to vote for HR1 when no other Republican gets on board with his compromise bs.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"oh boy is [republican] in trouble now!! they'll be going down any day now!"

aaaaaaaannnnyyyyyyyy daaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy.....

*[republican] continues to break fundraising records*

nnnnnnnoooooooowwwwwww...

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

CommieGIR posted:

If the rumors are true, Rudy is pretty hard drinking lately as of last year, I doubt he's went criminal mastermind and deleted evidence after the last year of watching Trump lose the election and then not pardon him.

I’m not sure where this ‘criminal mastermind’ stuff is coming from. No criticism to here CommieGIR but when the FBI raid happened I saw a lot of people ITT doom posting that Rudy totally had a year to delete all evidence of his crimes. I mean, this is the guy who got rolled by loving Borat and constantly butt-dialed reporters by accident. Rudy is too old, drunk and thinks he’s untouchable to hide anything.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

That 1/6 Commission deal might be dead now.

The Republican who voted with the Democrats to advance it out of committee was one of the 10 who voted for impeachment and it doesn't include a probe of the violence during the BLM protests last summer. Some Republicans are mad about that.

It will pass the House, but several Republican Senators who previously supported a commission are now saying they will "wait to hear from" Trump on what to do. They don't want to create a panel to "give the government seal of approval to a smear campaign."

https://www.politico.com/playbook

It was already going to be pretty worthless, the commission was gonna be equally split between Democrats and Republicans and you needed a majority (or for the head democrat and head republican) to agree to send any subpeonas, which means Republicans veto any subpeonas for anything they don't want.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Good news: The IRS says that 88% of people eligible for the new child tax credit will get it automatically deposited into their account each month without having to do anything starting July 15th.

The rest will get a paper check, can opt-in online by providing either an address or bank account, or wait until they file their taxes to claim it.

In a huge surprise, conservatives who were previously in favor of expanded child credits are now opposed.

(To be fair to those conservatives, none of them supported making it 100% refundable before. So, it isn't a total flip flop.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/05/17/biden-child-tax-benefit/

I wonder to what extent many taxpayers will not understand that these are advance tax credits & get pissed when they don't get massive refunds next year.

Recall that after Trump's tax cuts withholding was changed and then the following year people were pissed that their refunds were lower bc they got the cuts throughout the prior year, even though their taxes were cut.

Granted, getting checks/deposits separately from payroll is different--and not offset by stuff like increases in employees' payments toward health insurance--but financial illiteracy is p. rife in this country, and the admin is touting it as FREE MONEY without explaining how advance-credit payments will offset tax refunds down the road.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

King of Foolians posted:

I’m not sure where this ‘criminal mastermind’ stuff is coming from. No criticism to here CommieGIR but when the FBI raid happened I saw a lot of people ITT doom posting that Rudy totally had a year to delete all evidence of his crimes. I mean, this is the guy who got rolled by loving Borat and constantly butt-dialed reporters by accident. Rudy is too old, drunk and thinks he’s untouchable to hide anything.

Agreed, and even during his "Mafia Breaking" days most of the leg work was likely being done by lawyers working under him, he just got the credit for it. He's been unhinged for ages.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The few Republicans who want to "move past" Trump are never going to win.

It's actually impressive how thoroughly Trump has taken over the Republican party.

Net approval of free trade among Republicans has dropped 68% compared to 2015.
Net approval for the idea that "American is a country of immigrants and immigration strengthens America" is down 38% compared to 2015.

https://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/watch/most-republicans-don-t-believe-biden-legitimate-2020-winner-cbs-news-yougov-poll-112093765671
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/republicans-liz-cheney-opinion-poll/
Holy poo poo, 67% (not exactly nice) actually think trump won

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Holy poo poo, 67% (not exactly nice) actually think trump won

Yes we know the GOP is full of people who literally have stopped believing in pesky things like reality.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

I wonder to what extent many taxpayers will not understand that these are advance tax credits & get pissed when they don't get massive refunds next year.

Recall that after Trump's tax cuts withholding was changed and then the following year people were pissed that their refunds were lower bc they got the cuts throughout the prior year, even though their taxes were cut.

Granted, getting checks/deposits separately from payroll is different--and not offset by stuff like increases in employees' payments toward health insurance--but financial illiteracy is p. rife in this country, and the admin is touting it as FREE MONEY without explaining how advance-credit payments will offset tax refunds down the road.

The credits weren't refundable before. So, everyone who was "too poor" to qualify or get the full benefit won't have that issue anyway. They also increased the total value of the credits by ~50%.

You'd have to be above the ~$70k income range or have very high withholding to see a huge difference. Most people don't understand taxes, so maybe those people will be pissed.

Getting $600 per month deposited into your checking account is probably more noticeable than getting a smaller tax refund, but I have no doubt that some people will be angry about getting a smaller refund.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 17, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I wish I was surprised that the DoJ was doing the bidding of Trump and his buddies but here’s something that has not been disclosed before

https://twitter.com/kpoulsen/status/1394344671761993731?s=21

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Willa Rogers posted:

- iirc a chunk of this is increases, rather than "just" shuffling money from tax season to advance payments
- advance payments are objectively better for the needy than a big hunk of money at tax time

I would rather see Joe Biden doing the thing that helps people rarher than catering to financial illiterates. On the plus side, he can do both with a hearty dollop of advertising. His advertising around the American Rescue Plan (I hope I'm remembering the first big relief bill name lol) suggests to me that he might be aware of this need.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I wish I was surprised that the DoJ was doing the bidding of Trump and his buddies but here’s something that has not been disclosed before

I, for one, am shocked that Trump tried to sic the DOJ on his posting enemies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I knew Devin Nunes cow was a deep state psyop

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

In related "Trump has an iron grip on the Republican party" news: The Lt. Governor of Georgia just announced he is dropping out of the GOP ticket in 2022 after he criticized Trump for claiming Georgia had rampant fraud in 2020.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/georgia-lt-governor-wont-run-reelection-denouncing-trump-grip-gop

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah this is such a sketchy attempt to end run around the 1st Amendment, no wonder Barr got a gag order.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The credits weren't refundable before. So, everyone who was "too poor" to qualify or get the full benefit won't have that issue anyway.

You'd have to be above the ~$70k income range with very high withholding to see a huge difference. Most people don't understand taxes, so maybe those people will be pissed.

Getting $600 per month deposited into your checking account is probably more noticeable than getting a smaller tax refund, but I have no doubt that some people will be angry about getting a smaller refund.

Most people don't understand taxes and that they got p. big tax cuts under Trump but it was doled out during the year, instead of as refunds. I remember a LOT of dems moaning about it, even here in dnd.

Like I said, the size of the checks might offset the disappointment come refund time, but that'll be about six months before the midterms and it'd be in the admin's best interest to clarify that future refunds will be smaller as a result, lest the GOP piss & moan about "paying more taxes" like Dems did in 2019 with Trump.

But the bigger clusterfuck is gonna be custodial splits between divorced parents, who often alternate taking children as dependents by year. The IRS is gonna be sending the payments to the parent who most recently claimed the dependent, and trusting the parents to work it out between themselves.

eta: I think the existing child tax credits were partially refundable, but not fully refundable.

etaa: Yeah, most of it was refundable:

quote:

The Child Tax Credit changes make it worth up to $2,000 per qualifying child. The age cut-off remains at 17 (the child must be under 17 at the end of the year for taxpayers to claim the credit).

The refundable portion of the credit is limited to $1,400. This amount will be adjusted for inflation after 2018.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 17, 2021

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

What's up with all the liberal justices on the court greedily holding onto their seats and indignantly brushing aside strategic retirement? First RBG now him.

The SCOTUS is going to be 8-1 conservative due to the hubris of a few liberal judges who didn't retire early enough. All the more reason to introduce term limits.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You don't get to be at the very tippy top of the US legal world without developing one hell of an ego, and when they get there they are treated like royalty.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also, they "respect the institution" and want to keep the halo the Supreme Court has of being professional and apolitical compared to the other two branches of government.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Some fun lawyer sass:

quote:

"His efforts to suppress critical speech are as well-publicized as they are unsuccessful."

"In each of these cases, Congressman Nunes sought damages for what he believes were targeted attacks against his reputation, by being called names such as a “treasonous cowpoke

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Willa Rogers posted:

the tax credit that it advances is, specifically, the new tax credit that was created. not just randomly pulling your tax refund earlier in the year.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I think you will find it's 50-50 since there is no way Murkowski will ever support something like HR1 or anything remotely similar unless it will pass without her support

Kale
May 14, 2010

Sedisp posted:

I think you will find it's 50-50 since there is no way Murkowski will ever support something like HR1 or anything remotely similar unless it will pass without her support

I dont think she really gives the same shits about Republican internal politics as the others do since shes a write in candidate anyway. Still far from what the bill needs without using reconciliation though

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

adoration for none posted:

What's up with all the liberal justices on the court greedily holding onto their seats and indignantly brushing aside strategic retirement? First RBG now him.

The SCOTUS is going to be 8-1 conservative due to the hubris of a few liberal judges who didn't retire early enough. All the more reason to introduce term limits.

Eh, is this really a one sided political problem? Casually looking at the recently retired justices, lets say since 2000:
  • Sandra Day O'Connor, appointed by Reagan, retired under W
  • David H Souter, appointed by HW, retired under Obama
  • John Paul Stevens, appointed by Ford, retired under Obama
  • Anthony Kennedy, appointed by Reagan, retired under Trump

This is a list of those who chose when to retire. So all 4 are appointed by Republican presidents, 2 retired under a Democratic president. Scalia passed away under a Democratic president, RGB passed away under a Republican president.

So if we look at this under a purely partisan lens, I would say the SCOTUS judges being appointed by a Republican president are trying to throw their seats away at a faster rate. So I would say that the conservative judges are "more greedy" at trying to hold onto their seats based on the past couple decades.

Obviously, there's room to criticize my lazy analysis, such as looking at a time period of when a lot of R appointed justices are retiring. I'm just too lazy to go through a more in depth/longer analysis. But overall, I think that most SCOTUS judges do try to be nonpartisan. Or at least not blatantly partisan.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 17, 2021

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

evilweasel posted:

the tax credit that it advances is, specifically, the new tax credit that was created. not just randomly pulling your tax refund earlier in the year.

The tax credit includes the $2k existing credits from prior years, in addition to the $1k-$1.5k increases that were passed this year.

The payments that will be issued are for the entire credit, not just the increase this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Reminder that this is for the half-measure "just override Shelby" bill, not the full "move the country back to something more accurately describable as democracy" bill