Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I've never modded anything but man I wanna get rid of the ascent voice clips. They don't even bother me- it's just repetitive.

Got my win with Keeper though, found Libra floor 1 and then mega mush and a ton of stat up items so was rapid firing high damage triple shots, nothing really crazy outside that. When I got to home though? I found Greeds head in the closet :getin:

Laughing wildly as it became impossible to die.

I know I linked the mod earlier that straight removes the dialogue. But you can do that OR.... you can peep this $19 Fortnite Card.

And also look into Modified Boss Armor for better passive armor poo poo. I got mine set to 20%.

And and also, apparently Loki's Horns just gives you a fourway shield if you also got Mom's Knife. VERY USEFUL for Ultra Greed since you should be able to destroy the coins by just running into them. I did, got Lilith unlocked... and even got 13 coins into the special machine. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ryuga Death posted:

Any tips or advice for Tainted Lost?

Aside from learning how to mechanically dodge things, try to get the best start you can. Tainted Lost's biggest upside is that once a run gets rolling, it basically stays rolling turning him into a massive glass cannon with him bathing in higher quality items. Go into boss trap rooms if you can, those will be some of your biggest sources of power. You'll want to take advantage of his "better items" quality by fishing for all the item pools possible. Open up gold chests, look for secret rooms (which have some of the most powerful items in the game), and try to fish for Angel Rooms. The amount of times I ran into Sacred Heart/Godhead were pretty nuts on attempts with him. (Brimstone is great, but Angel Rooms can let Tainted Lost generate items with certain items, which is far better on him.)

Not all defensive items are deleted from the game for him. Some really good ones to be on the lookout for are Blanket and Psy Fly. Broken Modem is also a fantastic shop item to get, as it randomly stuns and deletes enemy bullets. Also be on the lookout for Birthright, as that's the only extra life Tainted Lost can get without certain shenanigans.

Luck based effect items are also super good on him, as if you manage to survive to the 3rd floor, you'll get the Perfection Trinket, which grants him +10 Luck with basically no downside. Tough Love? Guaranteed 3.2x damage every shot. Apple! is a bit less good as 10 Luck only gets him to a 20% chance of a Razor blade up from 6.66%, but get 4 more luck somehow (25%/33%/50%/100% procs for 11/12/13/14 luck) and enjoy your 4x damage procs. Ghost pepper is also super good since the flames can block bullets and deals heavy damage (3x to 6x depending on range), and you only need 11 luck for guaranteed procs, and if you don't manage to find a single luck up, you'll still have a 50% proc rate for that.

Anything that can help generate items is really powerful on Tainted Lost. Blank Card + Joker is one such combo, and The Stairway will get a lot of influx of powerful angel items in his arsenal if you have enough money.

Anything that helps generate cards is also great since Tainted Lost has a 10% chance to convert any generated card into a Holy Card. If you manage to find Echo Chamber, that'll pretty much turn every single consumable you get into a free Holy Card, so that's a top tier item to be on the lookout for as well.

If you're doing the home path, make sure to set up a cracked key at some point by dropping a trinket in an item or boss room. Normally the only extra life Tainted Lost can have is through Birthright. However, the closet you unlock with the red key will contain the Inner Child item if you have it unlocked, allowing Tainted Lost to get another extra life for Dogma and The Beast.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I've never modded anything but man I wanna get rid of the ascent voice clips. They don't even bother me- it's just repetitive.

Got my win with Keeper though, found Libra floor 1 and then mega mush and a ton of stat up items so was rapid firing high damage triple shots, nothing really crazy outside that. When I got to home though? I found Greeds head in the closet :getin:

Laughing wildly as it became impossible to die.

Mods have got you covered.

e;fb

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 17, 2021

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Modding out the ascent voice clips was one of the first mods I got, followed by one that let's you skip the mines knife piece sequence. Both were really cool on the first few runs, but get kinda repetitive on subsequent runs.

Also thank god for the item description mod. I have to do way less alt tabbing to refresh my memory on items.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 17, 2021

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

For mods do you just hit the subscribe button

Feel silly asking.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Feel silly asking.

Yes, and then toggling the mods on and off is done entirely ingame, no separate launcher or mod manager unlike some workshop ready titles.

edit: vvv Oh yeah what he said too, the menu ingame for toggling IS just for toggling and some of them have more options than that. Generally the description will say so if that's the case though.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 17, 2021

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Feel silly asking.

yeah that's all (and turn them on in game)

there's also a mod that adds an in game mod configuration menu that makes settings persist across mod updates that's worth having

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Had a fun Samson run yesterday where I had Shard of Glass, Old Bandage, Fanny Pack, and The Wafer which got me to the point where (with a nice buffer of red hearts) I was basically impossible to kill because I was spawning multiple red hearts every time I got hit. Basically beat Hush and Delirium by just standing in front of them and tanking everything.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Duh duh DUH, duh duh duhdundundundun dunnnnnn

SPACE

Also, something new is that the game seems to autosave after entering a new floor. Good, because right after SPACE I found that frozen enemies colliding with poison clouds crashes the game

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 17, 2021

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Mars really is the worst Planetarium item. Killed my Tainted Lost run during the Ascent. :waycool:

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Beat mother with the lost after turning down gnawed leaf because I hate that item. Feels good man

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Boy, I just had an eden run start with the spindown die, and that item is extremely good. There are some extremely powerful items next to mundane stuff.

Also really happy to see that the item description mod has actually been updated to show the next few items it'll roll stuff in to, so you need to look up things less.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Challenge 45 owns lol. I have no idea what's going on but I think I'm winning?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Taurus very badly needs a buff. It's fine if you get it super early on, but by the point you hit the late game, it's an active hindrance. The damage you deal is so small compared to the amount of health some the armored enemies have.

And especially once I get into the Dark Room/Chest, I find myself running around waiting for it to run out so I can actually get on with the business of clearing the screen of bosses.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Some infuriating things messed me up trying to finish out Tainted Eve's post-it.

Had one run going well going for true ending. Had cleared most of the depths 2 so just put the negative on the secret door immediately. Looking around the floor I found a crawlspace. Cool! Go down in it and it looks like a black market! Sweet! And I have some hearts to trade so maybe they'll have something nice down there...except it's somehow an I AM ERROR ROOM!!! That's never happened to me before and now my run is hosed and I can't unlock anything.

Another run I had a ton of DPS upgrades--8-inch nails, Synthoil among others got me 10 damage before I'm even out of the caves. Get an Emperor? card so I'm gonna try to get even stronger. It's Mom. I beat her and get some HP. Not bad. Except...I have no way to leave. So had to restart. Bullshit.

Another run sees me not have a key so I skip the 2nd floor item room(and also can't go to the downpour II that I like to do..) but a planetarium spawns on the very next floor!! Awesome!! But I still don't have a key. So I'm doing the floor looking for one and there's a crawlspace. Nice! Looks like a black market again. Ok I'm sure that thing from before won't happen again as I'd never seen it and that must be super rare...EXCEPT IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!! I AM ERROR AND IM hosed. Missed the planetarium. Next floor got an angel deal that had Faith for a much-needed tears up. Decided to explore the rest of the floor and lo and behold another planetarium! A miracle. It's...it's...The Bible. Because I took faith. Are you loving KIDDING me. Went into a curse room also the bible. Ended up being too weak on this run.

Finally did beat it though. Fruitcake is a killer item on her. Only 10 achievements left before 100%!!! And one of them is feeding that idiot battery bum until it pays out 5 times. It never pays out!!

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 18, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I played challenge 45 for about an hour and a half and didn't get a single health up or damage up the whole time. Was that true for everyone? I beat it by eventually just getting guppy's head with infinite activations, just curious if that's more or less how everyone beats it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

It's over. It's done. God that took a lot of attempts but the nice thing about Tainted Lost is that more likely to get a good run than your average character. Had some powerful runs... that got cut down due to some dumb mistakes. Or straight up bullshit. But the successful attempts, boy were they successful! One of my runs I found Sacred Heart, Epic Fetus, Godhead, Spoonbender, Tech X, and the R Key all in one run. :catstare: Thank god they removed the special items system.

Another I found Spindown Dice early and was able to use that on Knife Piece 1 to get Mega Mush. (Yeah that's probably one of the most powerful uses for it since you have a guaranteed Mega Mush if you find Spindown Dice early enough.) Then I found 4.5 volt and Jumper Cables. The end result was that I was a giant immortal baby rampaging across the floors constantly. :unsmigghh:

Unfortunately Mega Mush has a nasty glitch in that if you have a flight item or a character with innate flight, you're going to have to wait for the effect to wear out before going to the next floor, as it results in the game hanging and softlocks you until you x close out of the game.

Hilariously enough according to the steam statistics, Tainted Jacob is actually the one who has less achievements unlocked overall, with Tainted Lazarus being completed with even less and coming in at dead last with the amount players who got his unlocks.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 18, 2021

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
first run of the day:

I am so loving mad dude. Chasing the delirium mark which is the last thing i gotta do aside greedier. Got double tapped by the loving tear torrent poo poo cause there were shots lingering from his previous attack. Didnt even get to hit q for my holy card. then had 2 runs with brim, one of them made it to hush and i had to use glowing hourglass twice and didnt beat him.
at least bitching about how hush works now in the isaac discord made someone point me to this message:

thank god its a bug and not a conscious design decision

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

No Wave posted:

I played challenge 45 for about an hour and a half and didn't get a single health up or damage up the whole time. Was that true for everyone? I beat it by eventually just getting guppy's head with infinite activations, just curious if that's more or less how everyone beats it.

it's just becuase it genuinely allows literally every single applicable game flag possible and generic stat up/downs are a very tiny fraction of those

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

me playing tainted cain, the first ten minutes: "yo what the gently caress this rules"
me playing tainted cain after that: "this is somehow incredibly dull"

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

me playing tainted cain, the first ten minutes: "yo what the gently caress this rules"
me playing tainted cain after that: "this is somehow incredibly dull"

T.Cain is interesting if you're just looking to gently caress around and mess with weird synergies you'd almost never see in normal play.

If you're just trying to win, T.Cain is all the worst parts of Issac in pre-Repentance when being played super tryhard taken to, like, fifteen.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
i like t cain but i have yet to make it to boss rush. i refuse to look up recipes

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ArfJason posted:

i like t cain but i have yet to make it to boss rush. i refuse to look up recipes

Yeah I have no loving idea how you're expected to make boss rush without just getting mama mega, tainted cain's playstyle forces you to be incredibly methodical and slow with everything

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
mods are, as always, your friends; here's something that disables the timers for getting to the boss rush and hush https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2488481628

now if only i could find a mod that guarantees a void portal after every end boss

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

flatluigi posted:

mods are, as always, your friends; here's something that disables the timers for getting to the boss rush and hush https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2488481628

now if only i could find a mod that guarantees a void portal after every end boss

I almost had Boss Rush via this mod with I think Judas. Sure enough, I get a Womb entrance outside of the boss room and yeah no boss rush OR Mom kill that run.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
i refuse to use mods maybe noit the antibirth ost one i might download that one

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i would recommend looking at mods that don't affect gameplay in general and gameplay affecting mods once you've played isaac to the point where all you have left is stuff that make you no longer have fun with the game anymore

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
iv platted every release so i think my patience for bullshit is nearsaintly tho i appreciate the suggestion

hopefully they fix hush and buff t laz soon cause i aint touching that poo poo as long as i got other completion marks left

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ArfJason posted:

i refuse to use mods maybe noit the antibirth ost one i might download that one

Arf, download the OST. It's good.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
yea im considering it a lot. i think the dude still has to finish like 2 tracks to have it completely replace rep's ost

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I think Mudeth understands the musical energy and tone necessary for Isaac in the same way Danny B did. Ridiculon's choice of ambience for a majority of the OST is passive and does little to help motivate you through play, even if the music itself is competent and good. A lot of Danny/Mudeth's music is so good you want to keep playing to its energy and in order to hear the whole song.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I wanna wait for it to be fully done before I swap over but that's probably the only mod I'll install until I've fully hosed this game up

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I picked up a mod that changes the look of champion bosses to be more visible. OG game just giving them a tint was ugly and in some cases like Dingle I had trouble reading what attack it was going to use due to it's face not showing up well. I'd say I'm happy with it 100% but for some reason they redrew their own Monstro and I kinda hate how it looks- but ah well.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

flatluigi posted:

I think I found it.

Might be bugged for Mega Satan unlocks, but to be honest why would you chain Mega Satan into Delirium, that sounds exhausting.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

Here you go. It can gently caress up Mega Satan check marks is the only issue.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=938928749

EFB

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I picked up a mod that changes the look of champion bosses to be more visible. OG game just giving them a tint was ugly and in some cases like Dingle I had trouble reading what attack it was going to use due to it's face not showing up well. I'd say I'm happy with it 100% but for some reason they redrew their own Monstro and I kinda hate how it looks- but ah well.

I got the same one, and I like it even when I dislike some of the redesigns. I just appreciate the difference in look. Love the golden Hollow one.

I have the current Antibirth music plugged in, but my ideal will be a music mod that allows you to set a shuffle for every level type, so I can hear either Danny, Mudeth, or base Isaac music for Cellar or Depths or etc each visit.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

ArfJason posted:

iv platted every release so i think my patience for bullshit is nearsaintly tho i appreciate the suggestion

hopefully they fix hush and buff t laz soon cause i aint touching that poo poo as long as i got other completion marks left

I'm also weirdly puritanical about mods but I got the item description one (which is really smartly designed) and the one that skips the chase sequence for Knife Piece 2, after you've done all the variations so many times it's just tedium and kind of the opposite of what makes the game interesting to me. Everything else, even the stuff I hate, I'll just deal with

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Black August posted:

I have the current Antibirth music plugged in, but my ideal will be a music mod that allows you to set a shuffle for every level type, so I can hear either Danny, Mudeth, or base Isaac music for Cellar or Depths or etc each visit.

This is what I want as well -- I love the Repentance soundtrack (except for the boss rush theme) but I just want some more variety

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Black August posted:

I got the same one, and I like it even when I dislike some of the redesigns. I just appreciate the difference in look. Love the golden Hollow one.

Keep your eye out for this when it updates for Repentance.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1933285222

Did exactly that in Antibirth+

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I am knew to this game. It’s fun. I just experienced a very... Isaac? dumb death. Entered a spike door room, and the red chest teleports me to Satan. And what does he have but the dead cat item! Wow, now I can become Guppy, which was really powerful the one time I did it before! Grab the cat, exit Satan, and I’m back in the spike room, nine lives, and... one heart. And I’m in a later zone, so the door kills me. Oof, but so dumb I didn’t mind losing a string run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I ended up downloading the one that reset the mantle for lost, because the .5s invuln means if you get hit with a brimstone beam you're pretty much hosed.