Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
WarnerMedia and Discovery merging is like 20 TV stations now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Krispy Wafer posted:

Are we sure that’s because Discovery+ is doing poorly and not just AT&T reverting to its natural state of failure?

The article I read on this earlier specifically mentioned HBOMax’s underwhelming performance. Discovery+ on the other hand doubled it’s subscriber base this last quarter.

TLC just moved all their content from Hulu to Discovery+ so I wonder if that's got something to do with it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Krispy Wafer posted:

Are we sure that’s because Discovery+ is doing poorly and not just AT&T reverting to its natural state of failure?

The article I read on this earlier specifically mentioned HBOMax’s underwhelming performance. Discovery+ on the other hand doubled it’s subscriber base this last quarter.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Maybe it is AT&T which is the failure.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1394254479529238529?s=21

If I lose free HBO with my AT&T plan I'll be mad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I forgot that AT&T spent too much on WB and basically couldn’t spend enough to make HBO Max a serious competitor. They also mention in the LA Times article the good point that a base subscription is $14.99 a month, the highest in the industry. That’s probably not sustainable.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

Maybe it is AT&T which is the failure.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1394254479529238529?s=21

If I lose free HBO with my AT&T plan I'll be mad.

ATT is keeping 71% stake in the company, and every carrier now offer some streaming service, so they probably have to keep the offer.

Watching ATT just absolutely fail at every turn with their quest to become “more than a wireless carrier” is just fantastic to watch. When I was there , 2013-2015, they had something along the lines of “quest to 2020” or whatever the verbiage was. They could not stop talking about how they would become more than a phone carrier, that branching into tv and media was key, etc. And they made purchases into DTV, Warner, and tried running their own home security thing.

Meanwhile, when people would give feedback on practices in wireless that were super not friendly to customers or an issue or whatever, you would just be told you weren’t being a team player. A lot of major companies don’t process feedback well, but they really, really did not want to be told when their poo poo stunk.

Another favorite thing: they of course had “anonymous surveys” and I found out after I left that yeah, store managers and up can see the names of who said what in an anonymous survey. Shouldn’t have surprised me , but still.

So yeah, watching ATT just completely fail at the dumb poo poo they preached is just good to see. gently caress em.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Man as someone who lives outside the US, y’all are blessed with your streaming options.

We just got Paramount+ here like a month ago and about 30-40% of the content is the same as HBO Nordic (I subscribed and then immediately canceled within the span of an hour for P+). I think there are like three streaming services that have The Office? Some shows even have seasons spread across services which is a choice.

Meanwhile I just want Shudder, Pluto or Tubi here. Not several channels worth of post-9/11 South Park.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

We recently cancelled our Crave TV (:canada:)

I think it was the worst streaming service I have ever used. Their XBox app was completely nonfunctional and apparently they didn’t care to fix it. They also started blocking access from browsers unless you turned off any privacy stuff, which meant that I basically stopped using it.

Good job, Bell. God I hate how Canada is controlled by Telecoms.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Jesus, I feel like I need a spreadsheet to keep up with all the streaming services, especially since things keep merging or otherwise changing :psyduck:

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I saw some infographic a while ago that basically said that all the content spread across the glut of TV channels (and all the dang commercials) is what gave rise to piracy, but that died down when Netflix took over. But now that every company is trying to get in on digital streaming and all the companies are constantly merging/splitting is causing piracy to climb again.

It really is crazy, if I wanted to watch everything I have an interest in, I'd need Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, Crunchy Roll (don't @ me), HBO, Hulu, Paramount+, Discovery+, and Starz. Like that is over 100$ a month just for TV and for a bunch of those I only want one or two shows. And then if I'm in the middle of a season or something, I have to either binge it or worry that it'll get removed from the service before I finish. It's way less stress and way cheaper to just buy the box sets of the stuff I'm interested in, so I can totally see why a lot of people just say gently caress it and pirate it (and then set up a Plex server if they really can't get away from streaming).

Soysaucebeast has a new favorite as of 20:03 on May 17, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes piracy is way up compared to 5-10 years ago which is not at all surprising

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
It’s either see things showing on TV in the US a year late or pirate it. Like that Friends reunion show has no distro setup here yet and like, Swedes like that ballache of a show a lot?? For something that big I’d imagine you’d secure that cash cow tous de suite, instead of “ehh sometime”

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Out of curiosity, do piracy figures count the number of people account sharing or is it just torrents and whatnot?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Thinking about when Disney complained how everyone pirated The Mandalorian when it was only on Disney+ which wouldn't roll out to most of the world for 6 months or a year or more, depending on where you lived.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

FlamingLiberal posted:

When it was announced that Star Trek Discovery would only be available on CBS All Access, the new Trek thread was named "Star Trek Discovery: we'll all access it elsewhere."

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Trabant posted:

When it was announced that Star Trek Discovery would only be available on CBS All Access, the new Trek thread was named "Star Trek Discovery: we'll all access it elsewhere."

Discovery is on Netflix here in The Netherlands and the Picard show came on Amazon Prime. Who is hammering out these deals?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Garrand posted:

Thinking about when Disney complained how everyone pirated The Mandalorian when it was only on Disney+ which wouldn't roll out to most of the world for 6 months or a year or more, depending on where you lived.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Garrand posted:

Even with Disney owning most pop-media, I still can't imagine actually buying an entire subscription service for one company's content.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Garrand posted:

We had baby Yoda stuff all over and no context outside of “a show coming eventually” and having to dodge spoilers for months at a time was a loving pain!!!! I waited as I wanted to watch it with my partner together. Thank god that wasn’t the case with S2 but I truly do not understand as to why Disney+ was rolled out the way it was, outside of my guess is certain streaming services owned certain rights and ugh you are DISNEY. FIGURE IT OUT

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Acute Grill posted:

Even with Disney owning most pop-media, I still can't imagine actually buying an entire subscription service for one company's content.

Game of Thrones et al

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Volmarias posted:

Game of Thrones et al

I guess I should say I can't imagine doing a "subscribe and forget" like I've done in the past with Netflix or Hulu. I totally understand getting it for a month or two to binge one show, casually browse the library until the time's up and cancel.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I forgot that AT&T spent too much on WB and basically couldn’t spend enough to make HBO Max a serious competitor. They also mention in the LA Times article the good point that a base subscription is $14.99 a month, the highest in the industry. That’s probably not sustainable.

$15 a month seems sustainable only because that's how much HBO cost before it became HBO Max. They added a ton of stuff without raising the price. Their problem now is finding a huge hit show to replace the GOT subscribers that probably cancelled. I have HBO, Hulu, and Netflix, and HBO is the one I watch the most.

These streaming wars need to settle pretty quick. There really is no way each studio & major network can have their own streaming service.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Harley Quinn show on HBO Max is absolutely fantastic and I never would have heard it existed if someone hadn't mentioned it in a random GBS thread.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

$15 a month seems sustainable only because that's how much HBO cost before it became HBO Max. They added a ton of stuff without raising the price. Their problem now is finding a huge hit show to replace the GOT subscribers that probably cancelled. I have HBO, Hulu, and Netflix, and HBO is the one I watch the most.

These streaming wars need to settle pretty quick. There really is no way each studio & major network can have their own streaming service.

in the streaming war everyone is the italian army

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Eventually all the streaming services will bundle up and you can pay like $90/mo for all of them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You couldn't just subscribe to HBO Go in GoT's early seasons you had to have it as part of a cable package which certainly helped it become so heavily pirated.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Like hell am I going to pay for more than one subscription service at a time - I suppose to really penetrate the market companies are going to have to normalise being on several $15/month plans at all times?

Currently if I want to watch something I wait until it's all out, then subscribe for one month and watch. That's about the price of a DVD and seems fair (so they'll have to abolish it).

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

If I could only have one streaming service it might be HBO Max. It includes the entire Criterion Collection, Last Week Tonight, Doom Patrol, and Harley Quinn. What else matters?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

rydiafan posted:

If I could only have one streaming service it might be HBO Max. It includes the entire Criterion Collection, Last Week Tonight, Doom Patrol, and Harley Quinn. What else matters?

Bob's Burgers and the Great North on Hulu

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Strategic Tea posted:

Like hell am I going to pay for more than one subscription service at a time - I suppose to really penetrate the market companies are going to have to normalise being on several $15/month plans at all times?

Subscribe to one and trade logins with friends and family.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

rydiafan posted:

It doesn't have The Office if you're one of those sick freaks that just watches the entire run of that over and over and over again. I know so many people that do that; it's baffling.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Discovery is on Netflix here in The Netherlands and the Picard show came on Amazon Prime. Who is hammering out these deals?

dipship cokehead executives who keep chasing that sweet sweet bonus money

for more coke

its a vicious cycle

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Hulu at $0.99 a month is a pretty good deal but I don't watch it enough to justify more than a dollar a month, so when that Black Friday deal wears off I'm out.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HBO really has been pretty consistent with good new shows plus they have a great back catalogue.

We split most of our subscriptions with a friend , make them all half off. That said, I was fine laying for Netflix, HBO and Amazon Prime before that , sure it’s annoying but between them there’s enough content.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
HBO Go was a pile of horseshit so I was surprised to find HBO Max is kind of good. It’s bundled with my cable deal so I check it about once every six months and suddenly it wasn’t crap anymore.

Probably not good enough to spend $15 a month to watch it though.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

$15 a month seems sustainable only because that's how much HBO cost before it became HBO Max. They added a ton of stuff without raising the price. Their problem now is finding a huge hit show to replace the GOT subscribers that probably cancelled.

Obviously they need to have their subscribers agree to a 1 year contract or something.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Scholtz posted:

It doesn't have The Office if you're one of those sick freaks that just watches the entire run of that over and over and over again. I know so many people that do that; it's baffling.

I'm currently in the middle of one of those, but its a treat for me since I've never made it past the wedding episode so I have like 3 new seasons to watch.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

AvesPKS posted:

I'm currently in the middle of one of those, but its a treat for me since I've never made it past the wedding episode so I have like 3 new seasons to watch.

Quit while you're ahead, friend. You're much better off pretending those 3 seasons don't exist.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rockman Reserve posted:

The Harley Quinn show on HBO Max is absolutely fantastic and I never would have heard it existed if someone hadn't mentioned it in a random GBS thread.

You mean one of the shows they stripmined from another streaming service that Warners already owned?

Just another data point on the "streaming proliferation is stupid" chart, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Random Stranger posted:

You mean one of the shows they stripmined from another streaming service that Warners already owned?

Just another data point on the "streaming proliferation is stupid" chart, of course.

Yeah, I'm not going to bemoan the loss of a service exclusively for streaming DC movies and cartoons. I mean I've got a copy of Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman within arm's reach here, I'm not opposed to nerd poo poo, but I didn't even know that DC service existed until you brought it up just now.