Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Wolfsheim posted:

I always forget Mass Effect came before Dragon Age because it feels much less 'old' in its design, with the one exception being that DAO has a hidden tombstone for Towers of Hanoi that reads 'unmourned, unloved' :laffo:

They brought it back in SWTOR as part of a boss fight!

And again in one of Dragon Age: Inquisition's DLCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven9686
Feb 17, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

I'm not the type of person that gets caught up in fancy graphics and things like that, but I said "holy poo poo" out loud when I booted up ME1 for the first time.

There's some stuff that's inexcusable, like not having a FOV slider (moddable), reverse mouse acceleration (semi-moddable), and broken surround sound (still hosed). But it's a really, really pretty ME1 that I wasn't expecting.

so basically get it pc. Coolness.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Raven9686 posted:

So would you all say that its worth it to get Mass Effect Legendary? Reading the thread makes me wanna play again.

I am exceedingly happy with my purchase and am glad that it's given me the nudge to play though the series again. Eight hours in and I am hooked as hell.

I'd recommend getting legendary over trying to mess with mods for a fifteen year old game. I haven't personally been bothered at all by the common complaints.

Mass Effect combat has always been easy on PC for me, so I think the minor control things don't matter to me at all. You can still flick headshot the sniper rifle, and spend 90% of your time taking to horny aliens.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

I'm not the type of person that gets caught up in fancy graphics and things like that, but I said "holy poo poo" out loud when I booted up ME1 for the first time.

There's some stuff that's inexcusable, like not having a FOV slider (moddable), reverse mouse acceleration (semi-moddable), and broken surround sound (still hosed). But it's a really, really pretty ME1 that I wasn't expecting.

There's a fixed OpenAL dll on the nexus that allegedly fixes surround sound.

The rest all seem fixable by modding, its just a matter of using the (fairly janky) mods that exist now or waiting till the modders have their mod tools.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Robot Style posted:

Not just the hair color - the first round of voting was more broad (if you ignore half the options being identical white person faces, with most of the other features re-used between the rest).

I voted for the blonde but Bettie Page Shepard was a very close second

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

axeil posted:

huh, speak of the devil! I suspect some of the other bugs like the Spectre gear not being sold in C-Sec or other things like that might take a bit longer but this is already one patch more than the NieR replicant remake got so I'm happy.

Turns out this maybe isn't bugged how we think and it's only meant to appear around level 25/Noveria.

The bug may be that it appears too early, briefly.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

axeil posted:

There's a fixed OpenAL dll on the nexus that allegedly fixes surround sound.

The rest all seem fixable by modding, its just a matter of using the (fairly janky) mods that exist now or waiting till the modders have their mod tools.

Surround sound's still hosed, that OpenAL thing only partially works. My center satellite doesn't play any sound and some dialog lines drop off. I've yet to see a full fix, so I have fake surround running and could easily throw on headphones. It's supposedly way worse for Xbox/PS people.

But yeah, that's the general flavor. There is no loving way the games should've been released in this state if the games were brand new. EA/Bioware should've fixed a lot of these bugs that we're mod-fixed by randos ages ago! But, if you're willing to do a light touch of modding on a now-beautiful game full of jank, it's worth the money.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

axeil posted:

I'm going with a Kaidan romance and (Virmire spoiler) killing off Ashley this playthrough and I don't know if it's because I'm older or I didn't pay enough attention or what, but I'm appreciating Kaidan a lot more.

His whole point with the Rachni Queen is "uh, I think this is a bit of a bigger decision than any one person should have" which is absolutely true. The Council might be dicks (well the Asari member seems okay) but just arbitrarily going "sure this species that nearly wiped out the galaxy can be un-extinct" with no other input is totally nuts.
Funnily enough, there's a moment like that for Carth in KotOR as well. After you redeem Juhani on Dantooine (and maybe also if you kill her, I'm not sure now) and it's revealed that her Master basically manipulated her into falling to the Dark Side, Carth represents the voice of reason. While the others are either just happy or dismissive about Juhani turning back to the Light and being accepted by the Jedi again, his response is essentially "uh wow that's hosed up, why would the Jedi do that to her in the first place".

Admittedly Kaidan's much less angsty than Carth, though. And also slightly less forward with a female PC.

Fuzz posted:

I need some good femshep face codes for ME1, everything I try makes her look like her head's made of silly putty.

Let's see what you got!
Quoting myself here:

Sombrerotron posted:

Had to tweak it ever so slightly, but my old Shepcode - virtually unchanged from my very first ME1 FemShep playthrough - is still good.

7T3.KIF.GA8.J8C.EDB.1CU.6L8.721.F97.4I6.2D6.154.B

Wolfsheim posted:

I always forget Mass Effect came before Dragon Age because it feels much less 'old' in its design, with the one exception being that DAO has a hidden tombstone for Towers of Hanoi that reads 'unmourned, unloved' :laffo:
In the Citadel DLC for ME3, you can go into an arcade and there's a Towers of Hanoi machine. If you try to use it, Shepard exclaims in absolute disgust "I'm not playing Towers of Hanoi!"

Citadel is so wonderful.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Raven9686 posted:

So would you all say that its worth it to get Mass Effect Legendary? Reading the thread makes me wanna play again.

At least from a console user/diehard fan of 1-3, yes. It improved 1 enough to not drag down runs. It isn't perfect, there are random bugs still in the game from the og games. There are also new bugs, this game has crashed on my playstation twice. I don't know if I've ever had a game crash on my playstation.

Gunplay in 1 is more fun than it used to be. It isn't on the level of 2/3 but noticing the changes is fun if you played the original. I tend not to get sucked into too many games these days. I have had too much free time in the pandemic. Outside of Legendary; only FF7R, Trials of Mana, and Last of Us Part II had me playing marathon sessions. I'd done close to 10 runs of the original trilogy, I was shocked to be this sucked in to Mass Effect 1. I'm about 30 hours in and down to the last few missions. Pumped to get to Mass Effect 2. Would highly recommend.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, you really end up drowning in equipment/mods. I went insane and decided to do all the Mako exploration stuff immediately after doing my first post-Citadel mission (I did Noveria first), and I'm already decked out in rank VII/VIII stuff and have like 2M credits. It will be nice when I finish it and can just breeze through the rest of the story without giving into that impulse. The weird thing is that I don't even care about trophies at all, but I can't deal with having those quests for minerals, artifacts, etc only partially completed.

I'm looking forward to the ME2/ME3 combat. I remember enjoying the combat in those games a lot. The updated ME1's guns are fun (they did a good job of giving "oomph" to them), but the powers are kind of awkward to use.

By the way, it's fun shooting regular enemies with the Mako's right-click cannon. Some crazy ragdoll physics there that sends them flying 100+ feet away. It's especially good when there's a group of enemies and they all go off flying in different directions.

edit: One funny thing that I'm noticing on this ME1 replay (I barely remember the first time I played it) is that there's a lot of really amusing Sorkin-esque dialogue any time the topic of HUMANS VS ALIENS comes up (if you're playing as Paragon at least). So many variations on this:
Some Dumbass: I'm not racist or anything, but those aliens are pretty sus, amirite? *wink*
Shepard: With all due respect my good sir, we are in an alliance with said aliens and must all do our part.
Some Dumbass: I have not thought of things this way, thank you for defeating my racism with facts and logic

axeil posted:

huh, speak of the devil! I suspect some of the other bugs like the Spectre gear not being sold in C-Sec or other things like that might take a bit longer but this is already one patch more than the NieR replicant remake got so I'm happy.

I had wondered about that. I had guessed that maybe that Spectre gear was just some sort of effectively NG+ thing and that's why you could only buy it the first time you visited the requisitions guy, but apparently it's an actual bug.

axeil posted:

I'm going with a Kaidan romance and (Virmire spoiler) killing off Ashley this playthrough and I don't know if it's because I'm older or I didn't pay enough attention or what, but I'm appreciating Kaidan a lot more.

Yeah Kaidan seems like a good guy, don't get why people are so negative about him.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 17, 2021

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

finding this old folder of random ME images was pretty great. the SSV Daddy Issues gif, multple shep deal with it images, why do I still have all this

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah Kaidan seems like a good guy, don't get why people are so negative about him.

Because he has the same voice actor as Carth and I guess people have some weird PTSD about that character.

I dunno', I never played Kotor but form what I've heard about that character Kaiden seems nothing like him, other than the voice.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Veotax posted:

Because he has the same voice actor as Carth and I guess people have some weird PTSD about that character.

I dunno', I never played Kotor but form what I've heard about that character Kaiden seems nothing like him, other than the voice.

carth is "I was betrayed and i'll never trust again" as he slowly doles out his backstory over 4 planets worth of missions
kaidan is "I was betrayed and I got a handle on my issues before I ever met you" and is just a dude with some unfortunate implant headaches trying to do his job

it's entirely a VA association thing, yeah

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
I've played ME1 a ton, but of course its been awhile, however I discovered something during the last bit with the colonists that I am so embarrassed I didn't know and only found out because I thought it would be funny to try I punched all the colonists to knock them out and was able to save them all... I went to melee a thorian creeper and accidentally hit a named colony member and realized the colonist number didn't change. I literally gasped. "wait, can I just punch them all out!?" and then proceeded to laugh the whole time while doing it. Never once did I try this, I just tried to aim those drat grenades really well. It was great!

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I would say the package is 100% worth it if you don't mind dealing with the odd bug here and there. And since there's already a patch today after just releasing Friday, that bodes very well to me that Bioware will smooth out everything rough edge eventually.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

a cyborg mug posted:

Thanks, was trying to find them through the official Twitter accounts but they hadn’t posted them.

Really does seem like a giant patch for relatively minor fixes. Hope at least some of the issues people have been having are no more
Hopefully fixes the goddamn no-spectre stuff bug. I hit 1 mil creds before leaving the Citadel and all I have left to do is Noveria and Virmire before endgame. Still using whatever poo poo drops or occasional decent weapon I can find at a vendor :argh:

Psion posted:

finding this old folder of random ME images was pretty great. the SSV Daddy Issues gif, multple shep deal with it images, why do I still have all this
:iia:?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Just found out you only need to bring your squad members on 5 missions instead of 90% of them like in OG ME1 for the cheevos, I was all stressing who I wanted to be my whole game party, super glad they dumped those.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Because if you don't take him with you (and why would you, he's a boring human and you have a cool blue alien or an anger frog who have the same powers) all you know about him is from his ship dialogue which amounts to he's Jack but less interesting, and he's too dumb to move from the heat lamp he hangs out under so he has to wipe his sweaty brow every time you talk to him.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

SubponticatePoster posted:

Hopefully fixes the goddamn no-spectre stuff bug. I hit 1 mil creds before leaving the Citadel and all I have left to do is Noveria and Virmire before endgame. Still using whatever poo poo drops or occasional decent weapon I can find at a vendor :argh:

Yo there's a real simple fix on this one!

https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffectlegendaryedition/mods/53

Grab that savegame, load it, become a spectre, go straight to the C-Sec requisitions area, confirm spectre poo poo is available. Then, reload your own save and you should have access to the spectre stuff.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Because if you don't take him with you (and why would you, he's a boring human and you have a cool blue alien or an anger frog who have the same powers) all you know about him is from his ship dialogue which amounts to he's Jack but less interesting, and he's too dumb to move from the heat lamp he hangs out under so he has to wipe his sweaty brow every time you talk to him.

I'd argue that everyone is more interesting than Jack, even Jared.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

For me the ME1 romance choice is simple. Two characters are in my chain of command. They are therefore undateable as either a paragon or a renegade who isn't an all round scumbag. It's Liara or no one in ME1.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is it possible to do a run in Mass Effect 1 with only 3 surviving party members? I know you have to finish with at least Virmire Survivor, Liara, and Tali. Can you leave Garrus at the start and kill Wrex on Virmire in the same run?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Is it possible to do a run in Mass Effect 1 with only 3 surviving party members? I know you have to finish with at least Virmire Survivor, Liara, and Tali. Can you leave Garrus at the start and kill Wrex on Virmire in the same run?

You can, but if you don't recruit Liara before Virmire you can't kill Wrex. The game requires you to have at least 3 squadmates available so if you don't have either Garrus or Liara on Virmire Wrex will just back down no matter what

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
You can skip either Garrus or Wrex, but not both. The rest of the squad is mandatory.

It's possible to reach Virmire in such a way you only have Wrex, Kaidan, Tali and Ashley on your team (by saving Liara last and leaving Garrus on the citadel) which leads to you automatically leaving Wrex alive during the confrontation!

e: f, b

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
They've elevated the gunplay in 1 to the level of "vaguely enjoyable" which is a big improvement

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Just found out you only need to bring your squad members on 5 missions instead of 90% of them like in OG ME1 for the cheevos, I was all stressing who I wanted to be my whole game party, super glad they dumped those.

I just consider this replay value.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Simone Magus posted:

They've elevated the gunplay in 1 to the level of "vaguely enjoyable" which is a big improvement

Just making sniper rifles not inherently feel like they're being aimed by a drunk middle schooler is a huge improvement yeah.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I just consider this replay value.

I don't know, it was pretty tedious to have to do all the uncharted worlds stuff again with all 3 teams, though it's just achievements so I guess it doesn't really matter. I've only 100% like 4 or 5 games ever and ME1 wasn't one of them.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 17, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Simone Magus posted:

I legit forgot it was supposed to be a cover shooter until 12 hours in.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I'd argue that everyone is more interesting than Jack, even Jared.

I want cutscene Jack. I don't care how broken it is, I want her YMIR-killing mega biotic punch.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I want cutscene Jack. I don't care how broken it is, I want her YMIR-killing mega biotic punch.

yeah, it's hilarious to actually get jack, being described as a ridiculously murderous powerful biotic and the only damaging ability she has is Shockwave.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Which, to be fair, absolutely wrecks enemies without defences, but it's not exactly what was on the tin.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I like Kaidan...in ME3. Then again, I don't think any of the squadmates in ME1 were particularly well written with the exception of Wrex. Now somebody earlier said Kaidan isn't Carth. But Wrex is 100% just Canderous again so that explains why he's the uniquely good character.

But yeah, Kaidan isn't alone in improving in later games. Garrus only became everyone's #1 Bro in ME2 so far as I can see.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

facialimpediment posted:

Yo there's a real simple fix on this one!

https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffectlegendaryedition/mods/53

Grab that savegame, load it, become a spectre, go straight to the C-Sec requisitions area, confirm spectre poo poo is available. Then, reload your own save and you should have access to the spectre stuff.
Some of us play on console, but I appreciate you trying :v:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah playing ME1 now its easy to forget just how subdued both Garrus and Tali are in the first game before they really fleshed out their personalities in the sequel.

Liara also becomes an almost completely different character in ME2 but it actually feels like the result of character growth so it's more organic.

Haven't played ME3, curious to see how they all fare in the finale!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Simone Magus posted:

The patch is probably a foundational patch for the ME3 multiplayer, which now seems like more of an inevitability than a question.

What is this based on? Don't tease me like this.

Julius CSAR posted:

You can use mine if you’d like, I’m running a paragon so she has bit of a slight, kind smile. If you’re doing renegade you may want to play around with it a bit

Not bad, though I think it's impossible to not have sallow rear end cheekbones in ME1.

I can't imagine playing Shep as a dude, the VA is so loving bad compared to Jennifer Hale.

Raven9686
Feb 17, 2012
Yea Im convinced now. Gonna buy it when once i finish persona 5 R. Now the question is do i get it on pc or ps4? I own a gaming pc should it should be able to run whatever

Raven9686
Feb 17, 2012
Also did they give us the n7 hoodie for mass effect 3? I remember being so salty as kid that that was some dumb preorder thing only.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Since I've committed to playing one Shep through all three games, I'm trying my best to document moments I find particularly funny or noteworthy.

This early shot perfectly sums up the, "Are you loving kidding me" attitude I've been going with so far.

In ME2, I made her hair more grey, cheeks are a little more sunken in and the face is a touch more arrogant. In 3, I intend to make her look old and haughty while using mega violence as a way of getting out of parking tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

SubponticatePoster posted:

Some of us play on console, but I appreciate you trying :v:

Raven9686 posted:

Yea Im convinced now. Gonna buy it when once i finish persona 5 R. Now the question is do i get it on pc or ps4? I own a gaming pc should it should be able to run whatever

Really, really can't recommend it on the consoles from what I'm reading (see above). Since this thing was released with a shitload of bugs, they're fixable on PC while you're just hosed on consoles.